Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
See, Crom, I must really be really really old 'cuz I already forgot... what is it that you are using the antique C++ for?

P.S. Today's bitch: 0 ºF with 40 mph wind feels like (wind chill factor) -29 ºF and for our friends in Canada, England, and Australia, that's -18 ºC with wind chill of -34 ºC. Welcome to February on the Great Plains.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Arduino controllers I am playing with.
An antique playing with antiques.

Yep that is COLD!
Not so bad here except for the wussies.
only supposed to get down to a few degrees below freezing and maybe an inch or two of wet snow or something tonight.

Last edited:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
maybe an inch or two of wet snow or something tonight.
Damn, I forgot to mention the snow. It already buried all those paths I made with the bobcat a couple days ago and our forecast for the next three days suggests maybe another foot on top of the shit we already have. If it is not overly apparent, I am getting real tired of white crap falling out of the sky. If I never see snow again, except on distant mountain peaks, it would be fine with me.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup... Life's a bitch and the older we get, the more bitchin' we do...

Is there a time in this "getting old" scenario where we might actually start getting happy again? I mean, assuming we DON'T win the lottery....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup... Life's a bitch and the older we get, the more bitchin' we do...

Is there a time in this "getting old" scenario where we might actually start getting happy again? I mean, assuming we DON'T win the lottery....
Only when senility kicks in?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Having fun is often a delusion anyway.

Well, most everything humans believe is false and they are all living in delusional realities anyway, so "fun" really isn't all that different from everything else. But that's a whole section of philosophy that is probably too involved (critical, cynical) for this thread anyway. If we go there, it is a sure bet that no one will ever come back here.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, most everything humans believe is false and they are all living in delusional realities anyway, so "fun" really isn't all that different from everything else. But that's a whole section of philosophy that is probably too involved (critical, cynical) for this thread anyway. If we go there, it is a sure bet that no one will ever come back here.
Spending money is happiness. Or so our programming goes....
Seems to work well for many vapers....

flashback to George Carlins stuff comedy routine.

Strange how the comedians hit it more accurate that all the news media and such...

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Spending money is happiness. Or so our programming goes....
Seems to work well for many vapers....

flashback to George Carlins stuff comedy routine.

Strange how the comedians hit it more accurate that all the news media and such...

Money does not buy love or happiness - just everything else

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somehow a story of a bird in a horrible storm who is shit upon and eaten by a cat comes to mind....

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Having money won't stop you from having problems and tragedies, but it sure makes it easier to endure losing a loved one or having a broken heart if you are also not worried where your next meal will come from or you are shivering in the cold because you cannot afford to be warm....

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Having money won't stop you from having problems and tragedies, but it sure makes it easier to endure losing a loved one or having a broken heart if you are also not worried where your next meal will come from or you are shivering in the cold because you cannot afford to be warm....
Yep hence the more pleasant thing.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
yeah but you kinda have to have money to buy those things...
If a really really rich guy came by and asked me which I'd rather have, a million dollars or a million dollars of things, like a big new house with a good stove, decent furniture that is not falling apart, a new car and truck, etc., etc. which totaled the same as the million bucks, I would take the latter. I really do hate shopping. :)

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If a really really rich guy came by and asked me which I;d rather have, a million dollars or a million dollars of things, like a big new house with a good stove, decent furniture that is not falling apart, a new car and truck, etc., etc. which totaled the same as the million bucks, I would take the latter. I really do hate shopping. :)
But you would still have freeze yer ass off winters.
With a million you could relocate nicely.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like shopping for some things.
Tools, hobby electronics stuff, books.
ordered about $50 worth of electronics components and such from China a while ago.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
But you would still have freeze yer ass off winters.
Naw, this house of my dream comes with hot and cold running maids and I could sit in the indoor hot tub and look out the big picture window at all that snow falling and say stupid stuff like, "Too bad the ranch hand has to go out and do all the work in that shit. Wanna rub my shoulders again, honey?"

Yes, Wifey is in the tub with me because one of those maids is cooking our dinner and cleaning up the mess, etc.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Naw, this house of my dream comes with hot and cold running maids and I could sit in the indoor hot tub and look out the big picture window at all that snow falling and say stupid stuff like, "Too bad the ranch hand has to go out and do all the work in that shit. Wanna rub my shoulders again, honey?"

Yes, Wifey is in the tub with me because one of those maids is cooking our dinner and cleaning up the mess, etc.
I thought you said that senility had not set in yet?
:D

the chicken would drown in the hottub.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Never had fantasies of others doing my work for me.
Just fantasies about not having to work.
Isn't it the same thing? If you are not doing the work, who is?
I can be the boss, but never been good at asking other to peel me a grape
People actually peel grapes? I have no desire to have that old Roman-style life... I just want someone else to do the lifting and shit forking 'cuz I'm too old and too tired and too broken and... not too many years ago, I would have said "too lazy." Sigh...

But for right now, I'm putting my tired old butt to bed, right after I take some pain pills to guarantee I can get out of it in the morning.

Nite nite y'all.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hope all you Pharts are well. Another long night, but things should start to settle down in the next few days.

BTW These spammers are getting really annoying. When I click "New Posts" the whole first page is all Keto diets, health supplements, and boner pills.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
This morning's weather forecasts according to
National Weather Service: High temp to be 5 ºF with 3-5" of snow. They put out a "winter weather warning" for snow and wind, which they didn't seem to think was important as of late last night, but why would anyone put out a WARNING for only 3-5"?
Weather Underground (used to be called Intellicast): High temp of 11 ºF with 5-7" of snow
Reality: It made it all the way up to 20 ºF, snowed all day and we have accumulated at least 12" just today (with new drifts about 3-feet deep) and IT IS STILL SNOWING! Very likely, we won't be able to get the fucking doors open by morning. It is supposed to keep snowing until 5 PM Sunday.

Why is it that these so-called weather professionals can't even get close to reality?

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Hope all you Pharts are well. Another long night, but things should start to settle down in the next few days.

BTW These spammers are getting really annoying. When I click "New Posts" the whole first page is all Keto diets, health supplements, and boner pills.

There was spam up the yingyang last night, was hard to keep up

Blast one out of the forum, and two more would appear

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This morning's weather forecasts according to
National Weather Service: High temp to be 5 ºF with 3-5" of snow. They put out a "winter weather warning" for snow and wind, which they didn't seem to think was important as of late last night, but why would anyone put out a WARNING for only 3-5"?
Weather Underground (used to be called Intellicast): High temp of 11 ºF with 5-7" of snow
Reality: It made it all the way up to 20 ºF, snowed all day and we have accumulated at least 12" just today (with new drifts about 3-feet deep) and IT IS STILL SNOWING! Very likely, we won't be able to get the fucking doors open by morning. It is supposed to keep snowing until 5 PM Sunday.

Why is it that these so-called weather professionals can't even get close to reality?

Think that's the nature of being a weatherman. Must be a good job to have. You get paid well to guess.

BTW we are warming up. Not looking forward to summer. Going to be brutal. Been in the 70's the last few days. It's 65 right now at midnight central time.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Think that's the nature of being a weatherman. Must be a good job to have. You get paid well to guess.
Let me modify that slightly by adding "today" to the nature of being a weatherman. I was one in the USAF for six years (1967-1973) and we had no computers, no satellite maps (all maps were hand drawn), limited RADAR (local area only - Doppler hadn't even been conceived yet) and most of us were accurate to within a few minutes of when the thunderstorm/rain/snow/whatever would start. We used our knowledge and logic. Or one could say, we used our heads rather than having our heads up our asses like the weather guessers today.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let me modify that slightly by adding "today" to the nature of being a weatherman. I was one in the USAF for six years (1967-1973) and we had no computers, no satellite maps (all maps were hand drawn), limited RADAR (local area only - Doppler hadn't even been conceived yet) and most of us were accurate to within a few minutes of when the thunderstorm/rain/snow/whatever would start. We used our knowledge and logic. Or one could say, we used our heads rather than having our heads up our asses like the weather guessers today.

Sadly, my friend, it was a different era. Thinking is now discouraged and I'm afraid will be outlawed in the somewhat near future.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sadly, my friend, it was a different era. Thinking is now discouraged and I'm afraid will be outlawed in the somewhat near future.
Great minds... Sigh. Thinking for yourself is not only discouraged today, in many instances it is already being punished. Our schools are graduating idiots and most of their classes are full of lies (definitely false history). Everyone seems to be following "group think" rather than using logic. There are a few old pharts on this thread who still think for themselves, but I am not too sure how long before we all get declared as a danger to society. The "Star Trek mentality" will never become reality - it is an unobtainable fantasy.

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great minds... Sigh. Thinking for yourself is not only discouraged today, in many instances it is already being punished. Our schools are graduating idiots and most of their classes are full of lies (definitely false history). Everyone seems to be following "group think" rather than using logic. There are a few old pharts on this thread who still think for themselves, but I am not too sure how long before we all get declared as a danger to society. The "Star Trek mentality" will never become reality - it is an unobtainable fantasy.

I have slim hope that some of today's kids will slip through the logic crack. I call my son a Vulcan. He rarely lets his emotions get the better of him and he's always questioning things and saying that most things now aren't logical.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I suspect your son (SpockBaldy?) is right. I often get chastised for my apparent lack of humor today. I laughed in the 1960s-70s when things were funny. Today, rarely do I see humor. Most things in our society are merely pathetic and stupid, and, as your son implies, totally illogical. If it were at all possible, I would happily relocate to Vulcan. (one of my coffee mugs says "Vulcan Science Academy")

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just fed the cats. Had a fun time on the bobsled run aka wheelchair ramp.
wet ice!

Had to come back in by way of another door.

VU Sponsors