Become a Patron!

Old Pharts Club

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, except this is Thanksgiving weather, not Halloween weather.
True, and really bizarre.....I assume it's gonna be a nasty winter. Thank god BC broke during the last summer snow storm, it would have been a sob if it broke now.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I assume it's gonna be a nasty winter
Well, I'm gonna play the "one day at a time" game. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and about 40, so I asked the hay man to come tomorrow. I am delaying monthly shopping until Friday because of this, but we'll live.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
was the weather against you again today?
Actually, it was a pretty nice day... a little sun, not too much wind, got up to 47 and melted the rest of that white shit from yesterday... but I spent most of the day waiting for the hay man to show up (18 bales @ 700# = 12,600# = $1600), so now the hay room is full, but it will only last until the middle-end of January, then we'll repeat today's BS. I also spent a few hours nurse-maiding three kittens, which we think are about 5 weeks old and whose mother has apparently run out of milk, so daddy catman here had to show them how to eat cat kibbles and let them sleep on my lap (security and warmth). I can't help it, I MUST take care of the babies....

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
What kind of hay is it, the big round bales?
No, our hay room could not accommodate more than 5 or 6 of those and then us two old farts would never be able to unwind them to feed just a couple pounds to each critter twice a day. . These are special order square bales, 3'x3'x7' grass-alfalfa mix that gives our milk cows just the right nutritional requirements.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No, our hay room could not accommodate more than 5 or 6 of those and then us two old farts would never be able to unwind them to feed just a couple pounds to each critter twice a day. . These are special order square bales, 3'x3'x7' grass-alfalfa mix that gives our milk cows just the right nutritional requirements.
I don't know much about new age farming, I've never seen that size bale, must be heavy bastard tho.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hope the guessers are way off with the week ahead guess...they changed the Tuesday low (guess) by three degrees in the last hour

upload_2019-10-24_22-53-44.png

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've never seen that size bale, must be heavy bastard tho.
Just about the only bales visible to the public are the big round ones that lay out in the fields a long time. Small squares (40-60 pounds) are too expensive today (cost of baling) so these large squares (700-900 pounds each) are more economical. Due to the size of our little barn, we had to go with the smaller of those (700 pounds per bale) and, yes, they must be moved and stacked with a skid steer with forks instead of a bucket.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just about the only bales visible to the public are the big round ones that lay out in the fields a long time. Small squares (40-60 pounds) are too expensive today (cost of baling) so these large squares (700-900 pounds each) are more economical. Due to the size of our little barn, we had to go with the smaller of those (700 pounds per bale) and, yes, they must be moved and stacked with a skid steer with forks instead of a bucket.
You have BC in the Proving Grounds today?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OK, good night Dale. Have a good one. I'm gone all day doing monthly shopping tomorrow, so I hope I still have enough energy left to operate this keyboard tomorrow night. ;)

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, you get all that shit done?
Shopping is done for the month, thank doG. But every joint in my body is screaming. Ow ow ow... Lannie had more serious comments because she did the chores by herself while I was peddling my ass around town(s).

Temp under blue skies hit 66 here at home. My truck readout claimed it was 71 in Rapid City. Yet we are expecting snow in a couple days....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Shopping is done for the month, thank doG. But every joint in my body is screaming. Ow ow ow... Lannie had more serious comments because she did the chores by herself while I was peddling my ass around town(s).

Temp under blue skies hit 66 here at home. My truck readout claimed it was 71 in Rapid City. Yet we are expecting snow in a couple days....
Good you made it out alive.

I see that about the snow, and damn cold temps too..........:sad:

But it's almost Nov already, seems like Oct just began.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, funny how Oxtuba only started last week, yet the 'puter seems to think it is the 25th already. No, wait, it is past the witching hour, so it is the 26th now.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Man I'm whipped, stared at REMeans and IBC all day finishing jobs.....my eyes are crossed.....have a good one tomorrow.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Worked all day, you too I assume?
Not really. Light snow started about 1:00 PM, then rain and snow mixed the rest of the day. Luckily, nothing stuck (yet). Winds around 40 mph (it's 25 ºF right now, so the chill factor makes it 6 ºF), I found that one of the baby kittens in the garage (maybe 5-6 weeks old) who hasn't been eating for a couple days couldn't even stand up by himself anymore, so I brought him in the house. He died in my lap tonight.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not really. Light snow started about 1:00 PM, then rain and snow mixed the rest of the day. Luckily, nothing stuck (yet). Winds around 40 mph (it's 25 ºF right now, so the chill factor makes it 6 ºF), I found that one of the baby kittens in the garage (maybe 5-6 weeks old) who hasn't been eating for a couple days couldn't even stand up by himself anymore, so I brought him in the house. He died in my lap tonight.
Sounds like a typical shitty day......:sad:

Was nice here today, but that's expected for the end of Oct....supposed to be in the 50's tonight or tomorrow night....can't wait, seems like it's been a long time coming...was the mid 80's again today.....:cry:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sounds like a typical shitty day
Oh, and I forgot to tell you the funny part. Lannie and I tried to get our asses up off the couch tonight and in perfect two-part harmony, said lots of Ow ow ow and numerous cuss words at the same time. Maybe getting old causes couples to compete for who has the most pains. Well, I thought it was funny... :D

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh, and I forgot to tell you the funny part. Lannie and I tried to get our asses up off the couch tonight and in perfect two-part harmony, said lots of Ow ow ow and numerous cuss words at the same time. Maybe getting old causes couples to compete for who has the most pains. Well, I thought it was funny... :D
Hhahahahhaa....I can see and hear it now.....:teehee:

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holy shit....just glanced at the forecast, supposed to be in the teens?.....man, this is to early isn't it?

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Here's one that you might find amusing:

This morning, the forecast said we would be mostly sunny (AKA partly cloudy) and NO PRECIPITATION. We looked at the current RADAR image and it showed absolutely nothing over us. I suspect they were showing us a RADAR image from last week because not only was it overcast with thick dark clouds, which would have shown up on any RADAR, but it was snowing heavily. No precipitation? Then what the fuck is all this white shit falling out of the sky? While we did actually get a couple minutes of sunshine around noonish, it was cloudy all day and the snow started and stopped many times (it is still snowing lightly right now). The temperature as I write this is 20 ºF, but the wind has decreased to only about 15 mph, so the wind chill is a balmy 6 ºF. I hope the rest of the baby kittens (6 of them from 5 to 8 weeks old) in the garage can huddle together and survive the night because it will get colder.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
11:30 PM MDST... temperature is down to 15 ºF and the wind is up to about 20 mph, which makes the chill factor -2 ºF.

VU Sponsors