KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
My very first clapton build!!!!

I used 24g SS 316L core 32g SS 316L wrap. A lot of trial and error with securing the 32g in the chuck of the drill but I finally figured it out. Much more flavor out of my OFT by glas and more throat hit rather than a 26g plain wire coil

A couple spacings but not too shabby for my first custom build :)

q1llBvN.jpg

uZuQVh2.jpg

Edit-

Some close ups of the finished product

6c1emtR.jpg

Excellent first clapton Zyed great job!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I do glue both ends still just didnt have to bother prepping both end with the makers ...one thing that’s doesnt work for me though is continually wrapping, I still have to stop, move it and start otherwise my alien drops which is enfuiriting in the middle of a 5 inch pinch

Perhaps it’s because my swivels are shite and the wire is twisting early on?

Mine don’t drop at all, I just let it rip and they move on their own. I didn’t even break them in until I did a 8x.4/2x26 Fralien with them, didn’t want to take any chances. They really are making my life so much easier. Also, I’m pretty sure we have different versions of them... you have the original I believe and I have a newer version . I don’t know this as fact but they are labeled differently, yours 26/28g and mine being either 26g 3-4 cores and 28g 3-4 cores. So this could be the difference in how they’re working differently

EDIT: Now that I think about it, they did get stuck once and it was because my wire twisted up a bit from quick prep work. So maybe it is your swivels twisting your wire and causing them to get stuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Started so well, then gave it one more stretch too many :oops::cry: had no clue what 22awg decore should look like lol

View attachment 105276

I blame trying to sit down for once

I keep a few stacks of prepped wire (1.5ish”) set aside. For example, 1.5” of 4x.4/26g Frames. I bring it with me when I stretch my decore and then put the Decore over my 1.5” wire to make sure it’s the right stretch. If it needs more I’ll do it but I bring it so I know for 100% that it’s the perfect stretch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@Shredtravolta is that the corrugated thingy you were thinking about making a while ago?

Yep that was made with some paper crimpers. It started out looking really nice but I F-ed the binding up pretty good it was supposed to be like a SSFC but I just got one little piece to come out ok. The wire was really thick, I was only gonna get 3.5 wraps at the most. I tried coiling it with my hands and that just didn't work at all. Next time the binding needs to be more consistent, maybe spaced out a little, and I need to coil it like a staple coil with no frames, constant tension.:cuss2::cuss2::tantrum:

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep that was made with some paper crimpers. It started out looking really nice but I F-ed the binding up pretty good it was supposed to be like a SSFC but I just got one little piece to come out ok. I tried coiling it with my hands and that just didn't work at all. Next time the binding needs to be more consistent, maybe spaced out a little, and I need to coil it like a staple coil with no frames, constant tension.:cuss2::cuss2::tantrum:
ugh :gaah:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
What size ribbon is that. I have .8 and fused a 6ply and it was so hard to coil up. Any tips besides a vice. And what's up with the syrup? Better than lickity spit I assume.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Lmao, I was using some maple flavored VG liquid last week to stick ribbon together, I don't think it's needed though if you just fold it (I was being anal about not wasting ribbon)
It's .3, it coils easy seems like, .8 is hyuuuuj

That spacing is perfect meg you nailed it ...so what’s the wrap gauge? Still working with the insanely small stuff?
40 guage

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Good morning everyone! This is nothing special its just a simple 28g(3) x 36g pair of alien coils. I just wanted to post this build because I love the color I got in this shot. I'm a sole N80 builder and I don't get some of the colors that you might get with kanthal and stainless steel. Plus I'm not very good at getting even color anyways. Usually by the time I get my coils to glow evenly from the center the color is gone. For whatever reason the color in this simple alien build came out nicely and I just wanted to share.:)IMG_0577-min.jpg

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What size ribbon is that. I have .8 and fused a 6ply and it was so hard to coil up. Any tips besides a vice. And what's up with the syrup? Better than lickity spit I assume.

.8 is a REALLY wide piece of ribbon if you intend to stack it vertically dude. Wanna get yourself some .4x.1 ribbon and start there I'd say. Anything thicker will be hard to coil vertically, anything smaller and it gets finicky to work with. .3 isn't too bad if you can get hold of that but steer clear of .2x.1 for now, that shit is frigging annoying to work with lol

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good morning everyone! This is nothing special its just a simple 28g(3) x 36g pair of alien coils. I just wanted to post this build because I love the color I got in this shot. I'm a sole N80 builder and I don't get some of the colors that you might get with kanthal and stainless steel. Plus I'm not very good at getting even color anyways. Usually by the time I get my coils to glow evenly from the center the color is gone. For whatever reason the color in this simple alien build came out nicely and I just wanted to share.:)View attachment 105302
You may find you get better colours out of ni80 if you strum and pry apart your coils before you start pulsing them. Also help get a more even distribution of colour as well. Blue in the centre to purple and reds to gold outside

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
.8 is a REALLY wide piece of ribbon if you intend to stack it vertically dude. Wanna get yourself some .4x.1 ribbon and start there I'd say. Anything thicker will be hard to coil vertically, anything smaller and it gets finicky to work with. .3 isn't too bad if you can get hold of that but steer clear of .2x.1 for now, that shit is frigging annoying to work with lol

Ok cool man I appreciate it. I'll pick some .4 and have it shipped in. Yea I had a real tough time. What would the . 8 be used for? Like corrugated parts?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I haven't used my .8 for anything other than binding and making tiger wire lol. I think it'd be too wide for most corrugated builds, but it all depends on the frames and how wide they are. It's much easier to use .2 for binding I find as it bends around the edges easier and leaves no space for your frames or core to jump out. .8 is quite stuff so I hardly ever use it

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am amazed at the time and the patience this room had in making such fantastic works of art. Keep up the great work
All of you.

One day I will try my hand at making a simple Clapton. One day. For now I'm still mastering a simple coil.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
your builds in the previous pages are clean as hell imo. if i was you i would start some twisted/parallel/boneyard/helix experiments and start fiddling around with wire wizard. claptons are pretty easy too. have a look at the official clapton thread. i promise it only takes a few tries to hit fused claptons, and you are in a whole new world of vaping (even if they arent perfect yet, they are still a vast improvement on anything 'below' them in difficulty). they can be configured (wire gauge/material/coil size) to work in anything from little mtl setups, to cloud comp shit, and are a great 'tool' to have in the vape toolbox for anyone :cheers:

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
your builds in the previous pages are clean as hell imo. if i was you i would start some twisted/parallel/boneyard/helix experiments and start fiddling around with wire wizard. claptons are pretty easy too. have a look at the official clapton thread. i promise it only takes a few tries to hit fused claptons, and you are in a whole new world of vaping (even if they arent perfect yet, they are still a vast improvement on anything 'below' them in difficulty). they can be configured (wire gauge/material/coil size) to work in anything from little mtl setups, to cloud comp shit, and are a great 'tool' to have in the vape toolbox for anyone :cheers:
Thank you for the information and comment. I will take a look at the links you shared. Thanks mach1ne. Cheers.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I am amazed at the time and the patience this room had in making such fantastic works of art. Keep up the great work
All of you.

One day I will try my hand at making a simple Clapton. One day. For now I'm still mastering a simple coil.

When I first started building I would do a 26g tri twist which is just three pieces of wire twisted together. Then I tried a quad twist. Finally I tried a fused clapton and it took a couple tries but I got it relatively quick. Fast forward two years later and I'm doing builds I never would have imagined I'd be able to do, and I'm no Coil Wars rock star. I'm just your run of the mill N80 builder who loves his fraliens and is always trying to learn a new build. If you practice and you really want it, I promise you'll succeed. If I can do it anyone can.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's a couple builds I'd like to share with the VU crowd today. On the left is a SSFC and on the right is a 5 core (28g) alien with a 36g-22g decore wrap. With proper alien math it should have been a 24g decore but I wanted to see if I could get the wraps a little extra wavy. I happen to be a low resistance single coil junkie : ]IMG_0786-min.jpg For some reason when I post my pictures they seem to get smaller and its hard to see the alien waves. I'll get me a magnifying glass when I have time.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Here's a couple builds I'd like to share with the VU crowd today. On the left is a SSFC and on the right is a 5 core (28g) alien with a 36g-22g decore wrap. With proper alien math it should have been a 24g decore but I wanted to see if I could get the wraps a little extra wavy.View attachment 105362 For some reason when I post my pictures they seem to get smaller and its hard to see the alien waves. I'll get me a magnifying glass when I have time.:rolleyes:

I love my magnifying glass, that's one thing I would not have guessed I'd need in this hobby (maybe not Need, but I'd like to take decent pictures)

Going through my box of atomizers now, separating the whistlers and rusties from the "me wanties"

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love my magnifying glass, that's one thing I would not have guessed I'd need in this hobby (maybe not Need, but I'd like to take decent pictures)

Going through my box of atomizers now, separating the whistlers and rusties from the "me wanties"
Lol! The "Me Wanties". Yeah I've been realizing I have an iPhone 7, I bought it right before they came out with the 8 like a moron. The camera is alright, but its not ideal for taking photo's of coils. One trusted builder friend mentioned to me that he uses a magnifying glass to get real closeups of his coils and I thought to myself, that's not a bad idea. I need to make time to go to some type of store that carries magnifying glasses. Maybe a place that sells school supplies might have them.:)

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Lol! The "Me Wanties". Yeah I've been realizing I have an iPhone 7, I bought it right before they came out with the 8 like a moron. The camera is alright, but its not ideal for taking photo's of coils. One trusted builder friend mentioned to me that he uses a magnifying glass to get real closeups of his coils and I thought to myself, that's not a bad idea. I need to make time to go to some type of store that carries magnifying glasses. Maybe a place that sells school supplies might have them.:)
Walmart,walgreens, or any place with a Health and Beauty section, or pharmacy, yeah really lol

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
12 ply .3/40 stapeliens 4mmID 5/4 wraps 0.19ohms kanthal
Screenshot_20180227-125359.png

One side hotter than the other, but I fixed it

Something was bubbling out of the negative pin, hope it was just old juice o_O

I should not have put this in the Limitless, it deserves better lol

Better in the Billow V3, cut it to 3.5mm ID 0.17 ohms

Last edited:

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i just squeeze one of these against my phone for the pics i post in here. its not getting me pro results by any means, but it lets me get the phone a lot closer to the subject and still be able to focus. my camera app has a meter for focus and if it zeroes out it means im too close. i just get to the closest place i can focus and then crop the atomizer/coils out of the (much larger) pic. i usually have photoshop or something installed, but my pc is pretty barebones lately, so i am using windows snipping tool to 'crop' my photos (i zoom in to the part i want and 'snip' it out/save it separately).
loupe.JPG

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alright custom coil Mtl experts. Is it possible to do a boneyard for the Berserker?

im not convinced it would be good. i tend to make them from 24 because the hammering process is violent and the wire needs to be thick enough to not get hammered in half in the spots where the two wires cross eachother. i had trouble with 26, but it was doable (i broke a few on the coil jig though). im just not sure how 2x24 or even 2x26 would be for a mtl coil.

i really like the boneyard though. it was my first post in here actually. i used them in airier atomizers like the hellboy.

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im not convinced it would be good. i tend to make them from 24 because the hammering process is violent and the wire needs to be thick enough to not get hammered in half in the spots where the two wires cross eachother. i had trouble with 26, but it was doable (i broke a few on the coil jig though). im just not sure how 2x24 or even 2x26 would be for a mtl coil.

i really like the boneyard though. it was my first post in here actually. i used them in airier atomizers like the hellboy.
Is there small flatwire that could be used to eliminate the hammering?

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there small flatwire that could be used to eliminate the hammering?

there are some different sizes of ribbon that are thicker, but they are usually quite low resistance (too low for a mtl setup i would think). i just realized that i might have had trouble because i wasnt being careful enough hammering too, so ill revise my advice and turn it into a little warning instead...24 was the easiest gauge i could do without wrecking it, but its entirely possible that you could be more eloquent with a hammer than i am and have no problems. give it a shot, but be gentle. another option is to roll it with a rolling pin or similar. a couple medium/hard press rolls to see if it starts to open up the twists (the key feature of the build) and if it does, then just keep going until it looks done. key element is to watch the twists where the wires cross and make sure you arent flattening them too much, or they will snap on your coil jig. good luck, and come back with pics :cheers:

R.Savage

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
there are some different sizes of ribbon that are thicker, but they are usually quite low resistance (too low for a mtl setup i would think). i just realized that i might have had trouble because i wasnt being careful enough hammering too, so ill revise my advice and turn it into a little warning instead...24 was the easiest gauge i could do without wrecking it, but its entirely possible that you could be more eloquent with a hammer than i am and have no problems. give it a shot, but be gentle. another option is to roll it with a rolling pin or similar. a couple medium/hard press rolls to see if it starts to open up the twists (the key feature of the build) and if it does, then just keep going until it looks done. key element is to watch the twists where the wires cross and make sure you arent flattening them too much, or they will snap on your coil jig. good luck, and come back with pics :cheers:
Thanks mach1ne I will play around and see what I can come up with. I do have brass hammer in my toolbox. That may just do the trick.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im still thinking about all the stuff that went wrong. my prep was not great, so i ended up placing paper clips every couple inches to hold the frames on. i can usually get away with that (just knock them off as you approach), but the stop/start was almost 100% fail rate. i could get a groove going for a few seconds before i had to move a clip, then it would take most of the space in between to find a groove again. my first pass of spaced alien was inconsistent too. i was kind of experimenting with different ways of seeing/monitoring my spacing, so i made a ton of unnecessary adjustments, which throws your second pass into chaos. its much easier to go fast on the second pass imo, but that means you cant adjust to the inconsistency in time.

That one inch is badass though
thats what she said :teehee:

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
got brave tonight and tried 30/40 alien staggs. only got about an inch that worked out of a seven inch attempt :sad:
View attachment 105504
That one inch is tremendous. I believe with enough practice that if you can do one inch you can do two inches, and if you can do two inches, you can do four inches, and if you can do four inches, you can do eight and so on. I dunno how you get those alien stags so tight by hando_O. If I attempted this coil there would be about 7 and a half inches of space between each wrap. It's such a badass looking build I need to watch a Ndevine video or something to learn how to do it properly and then give it a shot. First thing's first I gotta get that corrugated thing of wire to coil up so I can say I did a corrugated SSFC. I wish I had your talent man. You are capable of some truly remarkable builds.

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a really great outcome for a first attempt! Great job! How's the vape? Fraliens are my personal favorite vape!
I love it!! would've had a good 10-12" stick, but had a couple 1 wrap slipups.. when I get home gotta make my girl a couple.. you wouldn't have any advice on decore size for more ribbon would you?? I guessed at 26g for the 4 .3x.1 ribbon I used lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I love it!! would've had a good 10-12" stick, but had a couple 1 wrap slipups.. when I get home gotta make my girl a couple.. you wouldn't have any advice on decore size for more ribbon would you?? I guessed at 26g for the 4 .3x.1 ribbon I used lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
For the most part you always want that 3:1 ratio. Because I'm not really familiar with what .3 equals as far as width goes with round wire what I do is guesstimate. I take the decore size I think is going to work and I clip three pieces of it and tape them parallel to each other. I then hold those three wire up to the ribbon stack and if those three wires are the same width as the ribbon stack I know that's my decore. If the three wires are less wide I go a little lower in gauge and try again. If the three wires are wider than the ribbon stack I go a little higher in gauge until I find the closest three wires that equal the width of my ribbon stack when they are parallel to each other. That's how I do it, it seems to work for me, I'm sure there are other people that could give you a more mathematical answer. If I'm somewhere in the middle and I have to use either a slightly higher gauge or a slightly lower gauge I choose the lower gauge cause if you can get that to catch you end up with even wavier aliens then if you were to go a straight 3:1. For example for 5 core aliens I use a 22 gauge decore even though the alien math states I should use 24g. I hope this is somewhat helpful, but no doubt someone will see this and give you a more scientific answer on how to figure out the decore for ribbon wire. This is just the method I use and it does work.:)

VU Sponsors