Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This is the first staggerton I ever did. It was only 3.5 wraps. I always like first successful builds. I decided I'm going to do a corrugated staggerton variation next but for now here's a really simple staggerton with a fralien (you always have to have a fralien;)), and a SSFC. Just simple stuff.IMG_0591-min.jpg IMG_0647-min.jpg IMG_0626-min.jpg

Last edited:

william.osendott

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For the most part you always want that 3:1 ratio. Because I'm not really familiar with what .3 equals as far as width goes with round wire what I do is guesstimate. I take the decore size I think is going to work and I clip three pieces of it and tape them parallel to each other. I then hold those three wire up to the ribbon stack and if those three wires are the same width as the ribbon stack I know that's my decore. If the three wires are less wide I go a little lower in gauge and try again. If the three wires are wider than the ribbon stack I go a little higher in gauge until I find the closest three wires that equal the width of my ribbon stack when they are parallel to each other. That's how I do it, it seems to work for me, I'm sure there are other people that could give you a more mathematical answer. If I'm somewhere in the middle and I have to use either a slightly higher gauge or a slightly lower gauge I choose the lower gauge cause if you can get that to catch you end up with even wavier aliens then if you were to go a straight 3:1. For example for 5 core aliens I use a 22 gauge decore even though the alien math states I should use 24g. I hope this is somewhat helpful, but no doubt someone will see this and give you a more scientific answer on how to figure out the decore for ribbon wire. This is just the method I use and it does work.:)
that's more than helpful dude.. confirms my thinking.. I've seen people with charts and equations and such, like for 3 core you use one of the cores, for every core you add after 3, you go down 2 gauges or some such, I hardly remember. I'm like you, I guesstimate.. look at my cores and eyeball it lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hahaha. That's great. I have had a couple instances. But i thought it was cuz i had a full well. Usually though not bad.

If you ever do find it a problem clapton over the top of them sorts it out :cheers: or could try winding ribbon round to close up those gaps think that’s a called a tiger coil ..... erm I’m useless with the names of coils :facepalm: the one with twists and ribbon....haha
:bingo:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I got nothin today. Tried that 20 ply stapelien two more times, then drill died while I was making my Third decore :wait: prettiest section was Sunday night, hurt to unwrap it to try again lol

I'm gonna order that Hitachi corded and a drill press vice later on today, and get some nice noise blocking earbuds if it's obnoxiously loud

I ordered more wire already, now I need a drill that won't die or wobble... Also Finally fixed my messed up spool of 46 :slowclap:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I got nothin today. Tried that 20 ply stapelien two more times, then drill died while I was making my Third decore :wait: prettiest section was Sunday night, hurt to unwrap it to try again lol

I'm gonna order that Hitachi corded and a drill press vice later on today, and get some nice noise blocking earbuds if it's obnoxiously loud

I ordered more wire already, now I need a drill that won't die or wobble... Also Finally fixed my messed up spool of 46 :slowclap:

Do you know I thought about this the other day ...I keep telling people how much cheaper making your own coils is ....hahahaha not when your doing these sort of builds it isn’t

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Do you know I thought about this the other day ...I keep telling people how much cheaper making your own coils is ....hahahaha not when your doing these sort of builds it isn’t

Oh yeah, like how I quit smoking and started vaping because it would be cheaper....$500 spent the first 3 months lmao

I blame ECF..."oooh what is coil building? Ooh Derringers sure are cute...let me try this DNA 40 out...oh this sucks, what's a clone? hey those are cool drip tips...I love Dekang RY4 so I'll just buy 500mL of it (that was my biggest regret lmao)"

Really the biggest money blow was a Halo G4 kit, wayyyy overpriced

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Oh yeah, like how I quit smoking and started vaping because it would be cheaper....$500 spent the first 3 months lmao

:giggle: Yeah but it’s just the initial outlay then it gets cheaper, that’s what I keep telling the missus anyway:D ....shhhhh don’t say anything she reads minds

If you ever do find it a problem clapton over the top of them sorts it out :cheers: or could try winding ribbon round to close up those gaps think that’s a called a tiger coil ..... erm I’m useless with the names of coils :facepalm: the one with twists and ribbon....haha
:bingo:
I can't wait to get into making the coils. I hand twisted my coils cuz i don't currently have a drill. But soon, i will have a drill and i'll be giving the tiger coil a try. I am curious about the ramp up times, though. I really like using my mech mod but i have noticed that without the VW control it takes a little more time to get the coils ramped up; that is when they're more complicated. Twisted, Parallel, or Regular no problems ramping up with the mech mod. Even a 26/32 clapton isn't too bad. But i tried these dragon skin pre-made coils and i couldn't take the ramping and i quickly switched them out.

:giggle: Yeah but it’s just the initial outlay then it gets cheaper, that’s what I keep telling the missus anyway:D ....shhhhh don’t say anything she reads minds
I hear you guys. I keep telling my brother to quit smoking because vaping is so much cheaper. But i can't help but find something more and something new, or another this or that. If i'd just vape the fluids i have and quit buying more just for the collection, it's like $50 a month. I used to spend more than that a week on smokes.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I can't wait to get into making the coils. I hand twisted my coils cuz i don't currently have a drill. But soon, i will have a drill and i'll be giving the tiger coil a try. I am curious about the ramp up times, though. I really like using my mech mod but i have noticed that without the VW control it takes a little more time to get the coils ramped up; that is when they're more complicated. Twisted, Parallel, or Regular no problems ramping up with the mech mod. Even a 26/32 clapton isn't too bad. But i tried these dragon skin pre-made coils and i couldn't take the ramping and i quickly switched them out.

Yeah you’ll find a lot of the builds you see in here aren’t overly suitable for certain mechs

I’ve been trying to settle on a build for my series mech for a while now just hate it beating the shit out of me for vaping ....think I’m more partial to parralel mechs in all honesty

For the most part you’ll happen across a build you really like on the mech and RDA set up and other than trying other stuff for shits n giggles you’ll probably find you always go back to that same build

Even the master builders among us have thier favourite coils

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
7a49857251bcdd28a8c2ecb1ca071ee5.jpg

Having a really bad day >_<

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah you’ll find a lot of the builds you see in here aren’t overly suitable for certain mechs

I’ve been trying to settle on a build for my series mech for a while now just hate it beating the shit out of me for vaping ....think I’m more partial to parralel mechs in all honesty

For the most part you’ll happen across a build you really like on the mech and RDA set up and other than trying other stuff for shits n giggles you’ll probably find you always go back to that same build

Too true. Raymo told me he only really likes the vape off a staged alien or an alien stagg. Every other builds is for shits n grins :)

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

Fraliens for me.... they are literally in every atomizer I vape

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I believe with enough practice that if you can do one inch you can do two inches, and if you can do two inches, you can do four inches, and if you can do four inches, you can do eight and so on
yeah, if i can correctly identify where i fucked that up, my next run should go better. my first try at 28/36 looked like this too, three tries later i got a 'clean' pair.

I dunno how you get those alien stags so tight by hand
i dont either yet :D what worked for me on the 28/36 one was to start out making clean alien wraps, then i pulled my angle ahead a little until the reflection on the shiny clean wraps stopped shining, and then tried to hold that and finish the pass of wraps as fast as possible. that seemed to work on the 40, but its harder to judge and you have half as much margin for error. i think i psyched myself out and over-thought it into oblivion...

I ordered more wire already, now I need a drill that won't die or wobble
I keep telling people how much cheaper making your own coils is ....hahahaha not when your doing these sort of builds it isn’t
lol yeah, i just ordered $200 usd in wire (with shipping/customs/exchange rate it came to $300 cdn)...and i need a new drill too. how am i supposed to afford new mech mods and atomziers?!

I really like using my mech mod but i have noticed that without the VW control it takes a little more time to get the coils ramped up; that is when they're more complicated
yeah there is a balance of coil mass and output voltage that makes building for mechs tricky. thats one of my favorite parts of all this...sometimes all it takes is to just drop a wrap, or take it down a step in diameter on your coil jig to balance out (just watch your resistance). other times, you have to recalculate your build with different materials or gauges to get it working.

what have you tried so far? using series setups kind of wrecked everything else for me for a while because i liked it so much more. after i took my first few puffs off that og noisy cricket/petri 1.5, everything else felt like the batteries were dead or something. i really like a shorter, harder drag though. if you are the type who likes a mellower/longer style of drag it might be harder to come up with a build that performs properly for you. you might wanna shoot for .6 or .7 ohms (i am usually a little under .4 on two batteries and under .3 on para-series and my builds sound like a warzone as soon as you hit the switch). series mods actually made other setups feel like im standing there sucking my thumb if my drags take longer than 2 seconds...like why is this taking so long? why isnt it screeching or crackling?

Having a really bad day >_<
we are here for you man :hug: :cheers:

Last edited:

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Alien decore twisted up on me 3 items in a row, I can’t get the wick right in my wake rta redid that About 5 times today... just not my day man

After you stretch it, do you walk back letting it through your hands? After the first time my decore did that I was like Never Again, now I always walk back with the wire sliding hand through hand to let it untwist

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Alien decore twisted up on me 3 items in a row, I can’t get the wick right in my wake rta redid that About 5 times today... just not my day man

yup, time to grab a setup thats working nicely and go do something else. i think it was ray that told me 'go outside' when i was starting out. i didnt have a yard at the time, but i was living on a lake, so i went and sat on my porch and looked at the lake until i wasnt mad any more, then i went back to work and everything went smoothly. also, consider making an offering to the build gods while youre at it :cheers:

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For alien wire that twists up on you all you have to do is grab each end and twist in the same direction. I do my decore with my drill on my left hand side and counter clockwise so I just twist both ends to the left and they soon untwist.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
For alien wire that twists up on you all you have to do is grab each end and twist in the same direction. I do my decore with my drill on my left hand side and counter clockwise so I just twist both ends to the left and they soon untwist.

Are you guys talking about an alien after you wrap it, or the decore right after you stretch it?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If your cores are twisting it's almost always down to how tight you're grabbing with your wrap hand. The rest of the time it could be put down to the swivels not spinning freely. I tend to put a good bit of pressure on my drill hand to keep things straight. Just my tendency anyway, I know there are builders out there who swear by no pressure on the drill hand but with things like the alien stagg I've found it helpful to keep pressure on the drill hand so I don't have to use anything to keep the frames flat and on the outside.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
If your cores are twisting it's almost always down to how tight you're grabbing with your wrap hand. The rest of the time it could be put down to the swivels not spinning freely. I tend to put a good bit of pressure on my drill hand to keep things straight. Just my tendency anyway, I know there are builders out there who swear by no pressure on the drill hand but with things like the alien stagg I've found it helpful to keep pressure on the drill hand so I don't have to use anything to keep the frames flat and on the outside.

Hard to read and focus sometimes with stuff going on, now I got it lol

I guess I let mine untwist itself by walking it back hand through hand...so hard to explain this stuff without Showing

I also love a rigid drill and core

AnthonyLouis

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

I think it could be my swivel... idk what up tho, my last few builds have twisted up a bit. My spin LT is brand new, shouldn’t be happening. Either my swivel or like u said, putting too much pressure on my drill.. I def. do like keeping pressure on it.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's not pressure on the drill hand that's the problem if it's twisting with a new swivel. Must be your wrap hand. I know mine will twist if I haven't stretched the decore enough and tighten up my wrap hand. Find it a bit easier with straight wire wraps as I can handle a spool with less grip than I can let wire slip through my hands.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i find the spinLT is easy to jam up if you pull too hard. i had my swivels on it for a while to compensate (the spinLT never spun with my swivels on it, at my 'default' tension), but i eventually tried it by itself + less tension and i tend to use it that way more now. i find its a bit easier to use less tension as builds get more complex, and just rely on prep to keep your shit together. i also started to attach my swivel clamp with something springier lately and i think it helps (was using a 24g roundwire loop before, now i have a large paper clip that has about 1/4inch of 'flex').

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Not a build...
But better builds in the future!

I GOT TO complete the build I started in my profile pic...I got to try staggering again, too
Screenshot_20180301-200500.png

Also got earbuds, thank you tax return :D

Also got the Asmodus Luna #166...going to bed before I buy anything else just cause it's pretty

Last edited:

chrisakasparky

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey all
this was first clapton i made a few weeks ago. 26g k core, 28g ss316l wrap

for my second clapton, i went straight for the staggered fused clapton. 2x26g k core, 28g k wrap, paralleled with 26g something i forgot

third clapton and my favorite coil yet. 26g kanthal core, 30g kanthal wrap, 24g N80 parallel. Comes in at about .24 ohms iirc, and hits great with a quick purge on my pulse bf. i made a pair (other one is visible in forth picture) and i really wanted to do dual coils, but i only have one battery with enough amps and i swap batteries at least once at work each day.

and this is all the coils ive kept from messing around. couple vertebraids, hives, an inception, a hammered twist, and that second clapton

i reeaaally want wire, its hard to find at the shops and the higher gauges are nowhere to be found. was thinking about ordering one of the multi packs from kbee because the price is so good. ive read the thread about their wire and i figure, considering im just starting advanced coils, its learning wire.

next i want to try and get some coloring. any tips? nichrome and low watt pulse?

also if anyone has some ideas.. i have 24g ss316l, 26g, 28g,30g kanthal, 24g n80, 28g ni200.
have regulated mod and a mech squonk

shnknr

Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, happy vaping to you all.
I am new to vaping and just trying to figure out the builds for flavor/cloud, which wire to use etc.
Would you suggest some simple/good overall builds with SS3316L wires that i have? Trying to find ideal builds and then i can tweak and make some exotic builds. I have a Merlin Mini and Siren 2.
Wires I have all SS316L;
Single 28ga
Clapton 26*32
Fused Clapton 28*28+32
Alien Clapton 0.3*0.8Flat+32
Here are some builds I made.(I know, I am just a beginner, but i will get better...)
SS316L 28 ga 3mm ID 7,5 wraps
3.JPG 2.JPG
Fused Clapton 28*28+32 3mm ID 6 wraps
1.JPG
Clapton 26+32 3mm ID 7 wraps

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi guys, happy vaping to you all.
I am new to vaping and just trying to figure out the builds for flavor/cloud, which wire to use etc.
Would you suggest some simple/good overall builds with SS3316L wires that i have? Trying to find ideal builds and then i can tweak and make some exotic builds. I have a Merlin Mini and Siren 2.
Wires I have all SS316L;
Single 28ga
Clapton 26*32
Fused Clapton 28*28+32
Alien Clapton 0.3*0.8Flat+32
Here are some builds I made.(I know, I am just a beginner, but i will get better...)
SS316L 28 ga 3mm ID 7,5 wraps
View attachment 105576 View attachment 105577
Fused Clapton 28*28+32 3mm ID 6 wraps
View attachment 105578
Clapton 26+32 3mm ID 7 wraps

Next stage is making aliens from scratch looks like you banged those out with no problem :) 3x 26g/36g is a good place to start unless you go smaller 3x 28/38...as a general rule of thumb I always try to keep the outer wrap +10 of the cores since it’s acting as a heat sink anyway and it’s helpful to have it heat and cool at a similar rate the the cores

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[/QUOTE]
next i want to try and get some coloring. any tips? nichrome and low watt pulse?

also if anyone has some ideas.. i have 24g ss316l, 26g, 28g,30g kanthal, 24g n80, 28g ni200.
have regulated mod and a mech squonk[/QUOTE]

Best thing for colours is wire type and lightly adding heat. Best colours I've achieved have been with a regulated mod. Make sure to play with the coil before you coil to try get the hotspots out before you colour as scraping the wire will take colours off the wire. Kanthal D, Nichrome and stainless all colour up nicely.
As for new wire to try, because you don't have the greatest variety I would say try some twisted wires with the higher gauge wires. Maybe even a mix of wires.
Hope some of that helps, as for where to get wire I will have to leave that to builders from your side of the water dude, postage would be a bit pricey from over here. Good luck on your building expedition :)

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
It's already colored, but sunlight and my camera make all metal look blue anyway lol :oops:

Ahh I can kinda see the pinks coming through in the second pic
And look what turned up today.... Hopefully get some tighter alien staggs now :)
76c581fd420b26d6eca95cae22fb9f00.jpg

I was halfway through a spool and they had wound it on in two parts ...BASTARDS it screwed up a perfectly decent wrap, I quite like thier N80 wire though for the price it’s not bad a hell of a lot cleaner than thier kanthal wire

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used to really like the company but I ended up having a right go at them when they started sending quarter pieces of cotton and missing out the free reel. Then after the complaints about my orders they changed their policy and now don't offer free wire or cotton. So I've decided every time a spool comes fucked up, like a good 3 or 4 have, I'll just rage at them. I mean I've got a spool of 48g here that doesn't have a clear end and has wire sticking out all round the spool. Bad spooling doesn't even begin to describe it

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I used to really like the company but I ended up having a right go at them when they started sending quarter pieces of cotton and missing out the free reel. Then after the complaints about my orders they changed their policy and now don't offer free wire or cotton. So I've decided every time a spool comes fucked up, like a good 3 or 4 have, I'll just rage at them. I mean I've got a spool of 48g here that doesn't have a clear end and has wire sticking out all round the spool. Bad spooling doesn't even begin to describe it

If only stealthvape had more in stock I’d always go to them haven’t found any other decent companies over here have you?

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Nah man, I started off with stealth vape, moved to crazy wire company and haven't gone anywhere else. I didn't like stealth vapes initially cause they used to send wire out wrapped around a strip of card :/ tried them maybe once since I moved to crazy wire company. Might have to start splitting my orders and trying other companies as well. Might even go the whole hog and order from kidney puncher see if their spools are worth it as I see loads of builders raving about it on Instagram.

iamadrunkguy

Member For 4 Years
How you finding a bigger single coil? I quite enjoy my 5mm ones in the pyro, how's the tobinho with a 4mm coil?

5mm!!! That is HUGE
I like the 4mm. With the stock 510 tip it gets a little warm because it’s so big but flavor is great. With an 810 tip there’s a bit less flavor but doesn’t get warm. I’d like more airflow but i did put a lot of cotton in it. I’m going to try a smaller coil to see how it does on airflow.

Shredtravolta

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
How you finding a bigger single coil? I quite enjoy my 5mm ones in the pyro, how's the tobinho with a 4mm coil?

I happen to love low resistance single coils. I'll do a (6).5 x .1 with 26 gauge frames and 36 alien binding off a 26 decore and the vape I get is just fantastic. Big clouds and big flavor.

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I happen to love low resistance single coils. I'll do a (6).5 x .1 with 26 gauge frames and 36 alien binding off a 26 decore and the vape I get is just fantastic. Big clouds and big flavor.
I like the larger single coils because they're fairly easy on the battery and can perform as well as a nice dual coil if the wire configuration is right. Still yet to find the perfect one myself but the adventure sure is fun haha

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too lazy to look for the staple coil thread but I got some more ribbon wire. I got a .3 today. I thought I got a .5 ,, this is really thin ribbon wire.can I still use it to make Staples, well framed since it's so thin I'm sure I'll need a frame.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Too lazy to look for the staple coil thread but I got some more ribbon wire. I got a .3 today. I thought I got a .5 ,, this is really thin ribbon wire.can I still use it to make Staples, well framed since it's so thin I'm sure I'll need a frame.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
.3 is fine for staple coils. i like it better because its a bit higher in resistance and you can get away with using more plies of it without going too low. definitely have a look through the staple thread for some tips on prepping a stack of that, and get your maple syrup ejuice out :cheers:

VU Sponsors