Become a Patron!

SUBTANK WARS

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I just dialed up three Triton 2 tanks from Aspire with Clapton coils. IMO the crown is too much hype.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny that I really like my crowns as I own three of them. I just got the Smok TFV4 and so far no leaks, awesome flavor and thick clouds at 80w using the triple coil.. might pick up another one soon
3e751d30b12e33b86534252e9a0fbf53.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Haven't had any leaking on premade coils for TFv4 either, it's just the RBA decks that can be a bit fickle. You'll see leaks/dumps if you don't wick it properly, push a wicks lifespan, or overfill the tank. Be aware of those issues and you're good. In general if I want to fill a tank, I'll rewick it. Then from there if I want to continue on the wick I'll just do half a tank at a time, not saying you have to do that just it's not worth risking to me. I've had it dump on me 3 times now, each a combinations of what I listed above. I've seen a little leaking (few drops in the air holes but not dripping out) when I made just one of the mistakes listed above.

But, again, premade coils, no issues at all.

cascadian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the description of the coils for the aeolus vs the maganus/starre coils definitely makes them sound totally different
the only pic I can see of an aeolus coil- looks similat but definitely different then a maganus/starre coil

plus i am not understanding stating a .SINGLE 0.4 SS coil can go to 150 watts I can push teh crown .25 to 100watts and it gets too hot. But thats a DUAL coil
taking a .4 single to 150 watts sounds INSANE and like it will burn

150 Watts is an exaggeration. Just like every other brands wattage range in my experience for how I vape. But this tank is the first tank that I could ever vape at 100 Watts comfortably. I have tried it at 120 Watts and although the coil seemed to keep up, the temperature was unpleasant to my tastes. Similar to when I exceeded 70 Watts with the .5 Ohm coil in the Crown tank. With the Aeolus I vape most juice in the 92-95 Watt range.

ACK...my reading skills were sleepy. Let me try again.
@cascadian are you able to let us know if the Starr or any other brand coil will fit in the Aeolus? Thanks.

Why anyone would want to use a different brand coil in the tank is beyond me. I can see why someone would want to use these coils in another tank though and I have one in a Herakles right now. In the Herakles I can vape factory .6 Ohm coils at 70 Watts max. I can vape the Aeolus coil at 80 Watts with the only juice I have tried with tons more flavor. The Aeolus coils fit but did not make reliable connection unless I pulled the positive connection pin out with my thumb nail. Occasionally I have to do that with Herakles coils in the Herakles tank. I would assume that the reverse would be true and that Herakles coils would fit in the Aeolus also as there doesn't appear to be any physical reason why they wouldn't.

I don't have any Starre coils to try and don't plan on getting any just to test something I didn't care for to begin with. But they most likely would also.

This is with the original bottom fill Aeolus... The Triton V2 clapton coil fits (works pretty good at 50 Watts and now a favorite coil of mine for desert flavors), and the Eleaf Ti EC coil fits from trying out the new coils when we got them in. I will try out the Herakles Plus .2 Ohm SS coil when I receive them but the Aeolus coils are so good that I don't see myself screwing with the setup after that. Until the next new thing comes out anyway.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@cascadian thank you, the reason I asked was in part of your answer. I am interested in any tank that fits the "atlantis style" coil. I have been building a list of these coils and which tanks they fit in. Check out the post ( http://vapingunderground.com/threads/aspire-atlantis-coil-fits.110143/#post-768545 ) and feel free to add info or even correct me if something doesn't look right, been accepting help where I can get it. Thanks.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@cascadian thank you, the reason I asked was in part of your answer. I am interested in any tank that fits the "atlantis style" coil. I have been building a list of these coils and which tanks they fit in. Check out the post and feel free to add info or even correct me if something doesn't look right, been accepting help where I can get it. Thanks.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Take a gander at the silo beast

StanM

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So....to all my underground buddies scouring the Internet for the next,best thing...Has anyone found a tank that will dethrone the Crown and TFV4? Just curious.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So....to all my underground buddies scouring the Internet for the next,best thing...Has anyone found a tank that will dethrone the Crown and TFV4? Just curious.
Just ordered the Crius with velocity deck. But that's a different beast all together

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have not tried the crown but there are folks out there that don't like it. My triton 2 with 0.5 Clapton coils should arrive today.

FlavoVape

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have three of the original generation Atlantis tanks so I'm sticking with what's familiar as opposed to trying the crown

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have three of the original generation Atlantis tanks so I'm sticking with what's familiar as opposed to trying the crown

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that at all. But if you were perusing outer options the crown should be pretty high on the list.

TheVapingDevil

`Vape It All Up!!!!!!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vape Media
Surprised @TheVapingDevil hasnt chimed in on the crown discussion ....he's always lurking:rolleyes:
hahaha, I love the crown as much as everyone else. I just figured that what I would have said, was already stated by @AmandaD and @HankSpankman. I enjoy the crown very much and I own three and all are in daily rotation. The only gripe I have is the RBA is not as stellar as the tank itself due to wicking issues.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
anyone want 3 brand new 1.2 crown coils, ill accept ,5 crown and maganus coils in trade straight up

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like my Crown, but the only thing I have to compare it to are Mini Subtanks, which I also like.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. I love the Crown's really simple top fill, I like the flavor from the Crown; but I'm kind of meh about the finicky coil break-in, I think a tank that THIRSTY should have a larger juice capacity, and my GOD the heat!

On the other hand I have the Subtank Mini. I love the ease of use, and the simple construction. I like the juice capacity and consumption, and that it doesn't heat up like the Crown EVEN WHEN chain-vaping. I'm not the biggest fan of the bottom fill; that and Kanger's QC on the tanks is great, but their coil QC (whether Subtank or Protank) is severely lacking.

I like both, but don't exactly LOVE either.

I've been contemplating getting a Starre/Maganus or that SauceCode tank too.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
you wont be unhappy with the maganus
it has a bottom fill and top fill version
the coils are about the exact same exact kanthal instead of ss

2 me theres not a big difference in taste or vape production or material quality between them, its just a preference.
I have much less issues with coils on the maganus then the crown
but thats just me YMMV

i may one day rebuild a maganus coil with ss and see if there is any difference then

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just got the Smok Tfv4 a few days ago..compared to the Crown l would say they are close in performance ..however I would give the edge to the Smok with the triple coil..at 80w it blows thicker clouds than the Crown but it is a juice hog...
f38574c350a739b278e28dcea4f480e0.jpg

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
i have seen many say similar about he tfv4 vs crown, now im my mind
if the tfv4 with3 coils is only equal or sightly better then the crown, maybe the crown with its dual coils gives better performance

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
you wont be unhappy with the maganus
it has a bottom fill and top fill version
the coils are about the exact same exact kanthal instead of ss

2 me theres not a big difference in taste or vape production or material quality between them, its just a preference.
I have much less issues with coils on the maganus then the crown
but thats just me YMMV

i may one day rebuild a maganus coil with ss and see if there is any difference then

That's what I wanted to hear.

They don't seem as ubiquitous as the Crown seems to be. However I have yet to hear or read anything less than positive about them.

They don't have a fraction of a fraction of the hype the Crowns have, if any as far as I've heard. I'm also not expecting a Starre or Maganus to give me a gooey vape-gasm or wipe my ass for me like all the Crown fanboys here promised

Do you know if the top fills are the "pro" or TC versions? I don't want anything that even has TC coils in it. Yet.

My wife already gives me a hard time about how much vapemail I get, which is nothing (a couple juice bottles every 2-3 weeks, a tank every month and a half or so) so I don't need a TC mod yet.

Although those Smok Xcubes look pretty sweet.

Dammit!

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i have seen many say similar about he tfv4 vs crown, now im my mind
if the tfv4 with3 coils is only equal or sightly better then the crown, maybe the crown with its dual coils gives better performance
Don't forget that the triple coil is the "base" coil for the TFv4 ;)

From there you have the quad and sextuple coils for cloud chasing. You also have a clapton coil option, 2 higher ohm "cool" options, as well as 3 TC coils. That's not mentioning the 3 RBA decks which are just great (or at least the 2 I have).

Not saying one is better than the other, just that you can't forget the variety of options for the TFv4 also. For me I sometimes want to buy a crown just to compare, then I think I might as well just buy another TFv4 because I already love it so much. Whether one is better than the other, I don't care. All I can say is that it sounds like there are a lot of very happy people out there whichever side of the fence they are on.

http://www.smoktech.com/atomizer/tfv4-big-family

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ohh you'll be happy, your juice on the other hand...

I don't think I have ever actually seen the difference in juice levels after a single toke except with the quad coil. Well and now my modifications to the single RBA (widened holes with a 3X twisted 24g Kanthal build, and drilled extra holes in the hood for more juice flow... it's a warmer thicker vape with less volume on the cloud compared to the quad coil).

I will say the quad coil might have you wanting to tighten down the airflow, makes it nice except for that annoying whistle you get from it.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh you'll be happy, your juice on the other hand...

I don't think I have ever actually seen the difference in juice levels after a single toke except with the quad coil. Well and now my modifications to the single RBA (widened holes with a 3X twisted 24g Kanthal build, and drilled extra holes in the hood for more juice flow... it's a warmer thicker vape with less volume on the cloud compared to the quad coil).

I will say the quad coil might have you wanting to tighten down the airflow, makes it nice except for that annoying whistle you get from it.
Thanks! What is a good final wattage setting? I'm at 60w now and slowly bumping it up..

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I found it suited me best at around 130w, 140w was fine but I got a few hits that were a bit too hot. 120w was solid but I felt it was a little lacking for my taste (I like a nice thick vape) and 130w was where it shined for me. It was warm, thick enough, and certainly tasty. Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the quad coil though because of how oxygen rich it was, just so much airflow. But, it certainly made some big clouds which is fun and I pop it in from time to time.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found it suited me best at around 130w, 140w was fine but I got a few hits that were a bit too hot. 120w was solid but I felt it was a little lacking for my taste (I like a nice thick vape) and 130w was where it shined for me. It was warm, thick enough, and certainly tasty. Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the quad coil though because of how oxygen rich it was, just so much airflow. But, it certainly made some big clouds which is fun and I pop it in from time to time.
I night have to run it on the 150w IPV3..lol

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I'd certainly recommend at least 100w, that's when it opened up with the flavor for me and the juice I was using. From there it just got warmer and thicker. Of course everyone's tastes vary, and different juices work differently as well.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
TFv4 is known to eat juice for a reason, and that's not just e-juice :D

Just bought a 160w X Cube II (amazing sale price) and 4 more batteries. Figure with 8 batteries and 2 mods in rotation I'll be able to handle it.

Hitting my new RBA creation with 140w and it feels like I could go higher, honestly a little worried that 160w may not be enough!

Ok, honestly it's delightful at 130w, a bit silly at 140w but seems like it could take a beating and come out without a scratch. God I love the TFv4 RBA decks. I will say for the first time since I started subohming I feel like I may need to tone down the nicotine :oops:

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
TFv4 is known to eat juice for a reason, and that's not just e-juice :D

Just bought a 160w X Cube II (amazing sale price) and 4 more batteries. Figure with 8 batteries and 2 mods in rotation I'll be able to handle it.

Hitting my new RBA creation with 140w and it feels like I could go higher, honestly a little worried that 160w may not be enough!

Ok, honestly it's delightful at 130w, a bit silly at 140w but seems like it could take a beating and come out without a scratch. God I love the TFv4 RBA decks.
I might give the RBA deck a try later next week...the one thing I don't like with this tank is I dump alot of juice to change coils..and it looks like I have to keep topping it off with this quad coil to keep the juice inlets submerged ....

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I might give the RBA deck a try later next week...the one thing I don't like with this tank is I dump alot of juice to change coils..and it looks like I have to keep topping it off with this quad coil to keep the juice inlets submerged ....

Yeah, you want to keep at least 2 of them submerged. With that though as long as you use the same juice you and flip it over at that point and take out the coil without wasting juice (except for what's already in the coil being replaced). But, yes, and that's another reason I like the RBA's, the juice wells are on the bottom, I can vape the dual coil a few hits past where there's "no juice left" without a dry hit. Any and all juice in the tank will wick through those really low juice wells. I typically see it's empty, tip it over see if anything flows out to be visible, once there's nothing that flows out I'll take 2 more drags and then call it done and replace the wick/coil/whatever I was going to do. The premade coils though don't have that luxury as the coils go all the way to the top of the hood and need plenty in there to wick it all.

And btw... have my creation up to 150w and still working like a champ. Once I finish this tank I'll be rewicking it for a better juice and really going at it.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, you want to keep at least 2 of them submerged. With that though as long as you use the same juice you and flip it over at that point and take out the coil without wasting juice (except for what's already in the coil being replaced). But, yes, and that's another reason I like the RBA's, the juice wells are on the bottom, I can vape the dual coil a few hits past where there's "no juice left" without a dry hit. Any and all juice in the tank will wick through those really low juice wells. I typically see it's empty, tip it over see if anything flows out to be visible, once there's nothing that flows out I'll take 2 more drags and then call it done and replace the wick/coil/whatever I was going to do. The premade coils though don't have that luxury as the coils go all the way to the top of the hood and need plenty in there to wick it all.

And btw... have my creation up to 150w and still working like a champ. Once I finish this tank I'll be rewicking it for a better juice and really going at it.
Appreciate the advice!
I was just watching a couple YouTube videos on my tablet wicking the single coil RBA deck...those juice holes look huge! Lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Appreciate the advice!
I was just watching a couple YouTube videos on my tablet wicking the single coil RBA deck...those juice holes look huge! Lol

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's what I wanted to hear.

They don't seem as ubiquitous as the Crown seems to be. However I have yet to hear or read anything less than positive about them.

They don't have a fraction of a fraction of the hype the Crowns have, if any as far as I've heard. I'm also not expecting a Starre or Maganus to give me a gooey vape-gasm or wipe my ass for me like all the Crown fanboys here promised

Do you know if the top fills are the "pro" or TC versions? I don't want anything that even has TC coils in it. Yet.

My wife already gives me a hard time about how much vapemail I get, which is nothing (a couple juice bottles every 2-3 weeks, a tank every month and a half or so) so I don't need a TC mod yet.

Although those Smok Xcubes look pretty sweet.

Dammit!

Starre Pro is top fill. Mine came with 2 Ni coils.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

guyakaguy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Starre Pro is top fill. Mine came with 2 Ni coils.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I knew the pro was TC and top fill... Unfortunately not only is it less expensive, but it ONLY comes with Ni coils....

I'd get the pro, but I'd need to get a pack of non-TC coils. Do the standard Starre coils fit in the pro?

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I knew the pro was TC and top fill... Unfortunately not only is it less expensive, but it ONLY comes with Ni coils....

I'd get the pro, but I'd need to get a pack of non-TC coils. Do the standard Starre coils fit in the pro?

Yeah they do

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Appreciate the advice!

Yeah, it can be a bit fickle, I have a system though.

1) take a ~3mm thick, and 6mm wide strip of fluffy cotton (take the backing off a pad if needed)
2) twist up one end to get through the coil, pull it through and pull it back and forth a bit, it shouldn't be so tight that you are ripping the cotton or tweaking the coil, you should be able to freely pull it back and forth.
3) leave enough that it can be folded down and reach the bottom of the juice wells on each side and snip it off (this is mainly for the dual coil, I can typically use one strip for both coils)
4) now the trick is put the cap on the coil, just a half twist, then take the cap off, this will leave indentations on the cotton.
5) cut the cotton at a slight angle such that you cut it at the top (closest to the coil) on one side, and the bottom (away from the coil) on the other. Leaving a little more cotton is better than not enough otherwise leaking happens.
6) prime it up and push the tips of your wick into the juice channels.
7) put the cap on and enjoy yourself.

That's for normal horizontal coils. With the single deck I much more enjoy the vertical build but that's a bit different and you need solid wire to have it really shine. I ended up having to modify the deck to fit the coil I wanted (lots of twists), and I added juice wells to keep it running smooth. That isn't necessary though, a 3 wrap with wide spaces of 24g Kanthal was still better than the horizontal attempts I made for me personally. The dual works great though for lots of things (went with 5 wraps around 2.5 post with 26g 2X twisted wire for best results so far).

VU Sponsors