Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, been busy doing other things today. Gotta do my housework if I want to be lazy tomorrow, lol.

No need to apologize, SirKadly. Nobody can be expected to be on the forum all the time. I had only a little while to play, and nobody to play with, so I did a last post, looked at the other threads I read regularly, then logged out to clean up my place, like you, with plans to go out tonight.

Then I brought in the mail, and my shoe got caught between the foyer door jamb and the hall rug, and I fell so hard and so loudly, the mail lady heard it, and saw me on the floor as my stuck foot was holding the door open a little bit. The kindness of people is sometimes enough to make you cry. The fall was not the postal deliverer's fault. She could have pretended not to notice, could have walked away, but she helped me get turned around and upright, get my feet underneath me, and helped me up. She picked up my scattered mail. I was nearly in tears from the pain, but I thanked her profusely. I wanted to give her a tip. I went inside my apt. door, where I have a couple of fivers stashed on the bookshelf, but she wouldn't take the money. She said they're not allowed to. So I handed her a box of premium small batch candy I'd received as a gift but never opened. She accepted that.

So then I felt dirty, because the foyer is where people come in and out with their dogs, so the rug is full of dog hair and whatever people and pets will track in, and I heard recently there lots of ticks this year. I hurt all over and wanted to lie down so bad, but I didn't want to get in my bed without getting cleaned up, so I gingerly climbed in the tub, showered down. Not really knowing yet if I was broken or bruised, I called my friend and cancelled our plans, and I've been sleeping all day. It seems I'm just bruised, bad ones on my knee and my left side ribs, but the pain is much less after sleeping.

So I can probably bear sitting in my desk chair for a while to play but I'm hungry too.

More than anybody wants to know, I'm sure.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's just beautiful. I never heard that before.

No need to apologize, SirKadly. Nobody can be expected to be on the forum all the time. I had only a little while to play, and nobody to play with, so I did a last post, looked at the other threads I read regularly, then logged out to clean up my place, like you, with plans to go out tonight.

Then I brought in the mail, and my shoe got caught between the foyer door jamb and the hall rug, and I fell so hard and so loudly, the mail lady heard it, and saw me on the floor as my stuck foot was holding the door open a little bit. The kindness of people is sometimes enough to make you cry. The fall was not the postal deliverer's fault. She could have pretended not to notice, could have walked away, but she helped me get turned around and upright, get my feet underneath me, and helped me up. She picked up my scattered mail. I was nearly in tears from the pain, but I thanked her profusely. I wanted to give her a tip. I went inside my apt. door, where I have a couple of fivers stashed on the bookshelf, but she wouldn't take the money. She said they're not allowed to. So I handed her a box of premium small batch candy I'd received as a gift but never opened. She accepted that.

So then I felt dirty, because the foyer is where people come in and out with their dogs, so the rug is full of dog hair and whatever people and pets will track in, and I heard recently there lots of ticks this year. I hurt all over and wanted to lie down so bad, but I didn't want to get in my bed without getting cleaned up, so I gingerly climbed in the tub, showered down. Not really knowing yet if I was broken or bruised, I called my friend and cancelled our plans, and I've been sleeping all day. It seems I'm just bruised, bad ones on my knee and my left side ribs, but the pain is much less after sleeping.

So I can probably bear sitting in my desk chair for a while to play but I'm hungry too.

:eek:☹️
:hug:
Hopefully just bruised. Even bruised ribs take awhile to heal, but broken ribs are a pain.
No pun intended. Well, OK, maybe sort of intended.
So just
and if you don't feel better in the morning call the

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
All I Ask Of You - Emmy Rossum & Patrick Wilson
(Phantom Of The Opera - Andrew Lloyd Webber)

I should have looked for the Broadway recording, I prefer Sarah Brightman's voice on this song. But I will leave the movie version.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been told quite a bit lately that I need to get out more and have some fun. And the people telling me that are no doubt correct, I basically crawled into my shell a few years back and have been afraid to stick my head back out.

So I have decided next Saturday I am going to a Blues Bar/Dance Hall that is right down the road from me and listen to these guys. Mebbe even dance a little.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT

OMG- wow so sorry to hear that you fell, sounds like a bad one, maybe a trip to the Dr or ER to check you out. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you my friend!

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Note - Spoiler tags used merely to limit post length

So the other day, Miss Bliss mentioned my varied musical tastes, and I basically danced around the sort of unspoken question that seems inherent in statements of that sort. Growing up my dad listened to lots of jazz (especially big band) and classical so I was exposed to such gems as
and
but I really liked singing from a very young age so I would get into his vinyl collection and pick out things I could sing to. By the time I was maybe eight or nine it wasn't unheard of for me to walk around the house singing "I was sick and tired of everything when I called you last night from Glasgow"
or "My father is a bastard, My ma's an S.O.B. My grandpa's always plastered, My grandma pushes tea." (and I knew the differences between the Broadway and movie versions of the song)
Perhaps my favorite songs to sing from my dad's records though came from a group that has won Grammys in both pop and jazz categories, "In the middle of that hub I remember one jazz club Where we went to pat feet Down on fifty-secon' street"
and "Jealous lovers quarrel in suspicion, Passions justifying their positions."

Future editions of "The Musical Background of Kad" will include fewer videos, I promise. ;)

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
We spent yesterday up in Lodi. We had a wine club pick up and met with my wife's sister, her husband, and a friend of theirs. Ended up sitting in the members area talking, drinking wine, and the girls Christmas shopping there for three hours. Mrs. Berghold goes crazy with classic Christmas decorations.

The winery we were at is Berghold Vineyards in Lodi, CA. Well worth the visit if you're ever in the area. Great wine, wonderful people, and a beautiful tasting room.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
OMG- wow so sorry to hear that you fell, sounds like a bad one, maybe a trip to the Dr or ER to check you out. Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you my friend!

Thank you Snap. I believe I can feel the healing thoughts you're sending my way, and they are soothing.

I'm feeling better today after sleeping a long night. My knee is clearly okay, since I can walk, though it still hurts, but not sharp flashing pain. My ribs only hurt when I try to take a deep breath, so for now I'm taking shallow breaths. I can breathe a little more deeply when I'm lying down.

I'm not going to a doctor because I honestly believe doctors are poorly educated in the pharma-driven system. They want to sell you pills, and want to sneak a vaccine shot into you because they make massive bonuses for logging those in for the pharma companies.

Nobody should worry about me. I'll be logging out in a few minutes and may not be back today, but that's only so I can stay immobile, not because I feel distressed. I had Doordash deliver breakfast tacos, enough for meals today and tomorrow, so I can stay still. I have to be able to get back to work tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your concern. It means a lot.

XO
BD

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have been told quite a bit lately that I need to get out more and have some fun. And the people telling me that are no doubt correct, I basically crawled into my shell a few years back and have been afraid to stick my head back out.

So I have decided next Saturday I am going to a Blues Bar/Dance Hall that is right down the road from me and listen to these guys. Mebbe even dance a little.
I hope you have a good time and enjoy the music, but I would counsel that you not let others dictate what you should or shouldn't do with your nights off. Your whiskered "therapists" probably like having you stay home with them, and if you like cozy evenings at home, then no guilt.

Getting out is something I make myself do, to avoid become apathetic, eating too much, gaining weight and losing touch with friends.

Love that turtle.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Note - Spoiler tags used merely to limit post length

So the other day, Miss Bliss mentioned my varied musical tastes, and I basically danced around the sort of unspoken question that seems inherent in statements of that sort. Growing up my dad listened to lots of jazz (especially big band) and classical so I was exposed to such gems as
and
but I really liked singing from a very young age so I would get into his vinyl collection and pick out things I could sing to. By the time I was maybe eight or nine it wasn't unheard of for me to walk around the house singing "I was sick and tired of everything when I called you last night from Glasgow"
or "My father is a bastard, My ma's an S.O.B. My grandpa's always plastered, My grandma pushes tea." (and I knew the differences between the Broadway and movie versions of the song)
Perhaps my favorite songs to sing from my dad's records though came from a group that has won Grammys in both pop and jazz categories, "In the middle of that hub I remember one jazz club Where we went to pat feet Down on fifty-secon' street"
and "Jealous lovers quarrel in suspicion, Passions justifying their positions."

Future editions of "The Musical Background of Kad" will include fewer videos, I promise. ;)

In many ways, Kad, you and I are twins, brothers from another mother, sisters from another mister.

I got my first music tastes from my parents' and my grandma's collections. I think I wrote in this thread of how "Corn Whiskey" (New Christy Minstrels) was the first song my baby brother learned to sing, and he ran around singing it at the top of his lungs.

Then my parents' parties with their friends, where the poker game ended when people started running out of cash, and guitar picking and singalongs took over.

Then at age 8 my parents heard me ad-libbing on their friends' piano, hammering it in what I'm quite sure was a savage and barbaric way, but you know how parents are. They though I was the next Mozart, so they bought me a piano and I had piano lessons and music theory classes from age 8 to 16, voila the classical music tastes acquired.

Country music has been on the wane here in south Texas for some time now, at least in terms of radio stations, but it still has an avid following in the Texas Hill Country nightclub and music festival circuits, but you don't grow up around here without being exposed to it at rodeos and barbecues, and I love that too, as being a time honored American art form, born out of the various kinds of folk music brought here by immigrants from western and eastern Europe, as well as those same Mexican music traditions from ranch cowboys.

Then high school and the rock & roll radio hits, but our crowd on the south side of San Antonio was mixed, so we liked mariachi music and latin pop too.

Church choir was a mixed bag. My parents always said protestant hymns were boring and all sounded alike. I tend to agree, but singing together with others is the enjoyment, and there was some exposure to traditional beauties like "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" and "Amazing Grace".

Then college, my friends and I listening to our voices echo in the stairwell, where we could entertain ourselves without disturbing the whole dorm, and there's where I learned to play three chords on a guitar.

Then many years of DIY radio, DJ-ing at the left of the dial spectrum and in nightclubs.

Music embraces, empowers and heals us, and enhances our sociable natures. I'm wishing you music upon music upon music, for the joy and the sustenance it gives.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Sorry to hear you are hurt, I always put heat on it first night, it increases blood flow. Then on ice to reduce swelling.

40240661fe1af21913cf277232a4d7ff.jpg

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you Snap. I believe I can feel the healing thoughts you're sending my way, and they are soothing.

I'm feeling better today after sleeping a long night. My knee is clearly okay, since I can walk, though it still hurts, but not sharp flashing pain. My ribs only hurt when I try to take a deep breath, so for now I'm taking shallow breaths. I can breathe a little more deeply when I'm lying down.

I'm not going to a doctor because I honestly believe doctors are poorly educated in the pharma-driven system. They want to sell you pills, and want to sneak a vaccine shot into you because they make massive bonuses for logging those in for the pharma companies.

Nobody should worry about me. I'll be logging out in a few minutes and may not be back today, but that's only so I can stay immobile, not because I feel distressed. I had Doordash deliver breakfast tacos, enough for meals today and tomorrow, so I can stay still. I have to be able to get back to work tomorrow morning.

Thank you for your concern. It means a lot.

XO
BD
Get better and heal up. Like I said, ribs suck, I know from first hand experience. At the very least, try wrapping them if it still hurts to breathe and if you have an ace bandage lying around.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Bliss Doubt Were really gonna miss you today but that's the best thing you can do for your ribs. About 20 years ago I broke 3 ribs racing a 4 wheeler ( motorcycle type) , flipped it. Luckily I had 2 weeks off work, vacation time, and I could hardly breath but never went to the doctor. I just laid in bed as motionless as possible. I had always wondered if I had really broken them or only bruised them till my cancer MRI and they asked me how that happened, because they had no record of it. So now I know for sure broke 3. Ribs really hurt so please take it real easy and get lots of rest.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would counsel that you not let others dictate what you should or shouldn't do with your nights off
In fairness, the friends telling me to get out more know that I have been isolating myself out of some combination of fear and anxiety. I have allowed events that took place years ago to create much of that anxiety. I freely admit to them that I have allowed myself to slide into a state of mild but ongoing depression and that it is largely due to that self-isolation. So they are right that I need to do something just to get out of the house.

My argument is always "But I don't know where to go or what to do that I would actually enjoy." I have however driven past that bar every day for a year and a half, seen the sign that said Blues Bar and Dance Hall, and thought "I wonder if they really have live music?" I would have guessed that the closest actual blues bar/club would be about an hour and a half or so from me. But I finally looked them up, and lo and behold, a local band that I like will be there next weekend. So, time for me to stop making excuses and DO something. This is actually a good thing for me from a mental health standpoint, as long as I don't talk myself out of it, or let my social anxiety talk me out of it I guess I should say.

VU Sponsors