Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I woke up in my big chair a few minutes ago, thinking it must be midnight, and then I remembered "fall back". Takes some time to get used to it.

I feel 85 percent better. Thanks for the well wishes. I can take a full deep breath, standing with my shoulders back.

Thought I would check in here and see if anybody was having fun, though I can't stay long. This desk chair doesn't help anything, and I don't want any setbacks.

Luv yall.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In many ways, Kad, you and I are twins
Except you seem to have a greater appreciation for music in foreign languages. I have never really been interested in listening to music that I couldn't understand. After listening to a few of the songs you posted I may have to change that. Oddly I have sung in French, Russian, German, Latin, Italian, I think that's it but I may be missing something, those days were so long ago. My constant singing around the house led my parents to look into opportunities to sing more formally. I became a member of The Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus and performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus on multiple occasions under Sir George Solti and once under the Maestro Claudio Abbado before I was 14.

French - Berlioz - La Damnation de Faust
German - Mahler - Symphony # 3 & Symphony # 8
- Schoenberg - Moses und Aron
Russian - Mussorgsky - Boris Godunov

Mahler's 8th was at the Ravinia Festival, the others at Orchestra Hall in Chicago.

Sadly my singing after aging out was limited to High School Choir, a few musicals in my teen years, then some karaoke from time to time since. Been told I should sing more, but never have. Music is important to me and I always had the fear that if I tried singing in anything more than a casual way I would wind up like Martin Tanner from Harry Chapin's song

I will say that I find myself enthralled with a song I just stumbled across by someone named Junior H, despite the fact I don't speak a word of Spanish so really don't know what the song is about. Apparently thousands of roses? Miles de Roses

Anyway, enough about me. Time for me to find a song that fits into the thread

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I woke up in my big chair a few minutes ago, thinking it must be midnight, and then I remembered "fall back". Takes some time to get used to it.

I feel 85 percent better. Thanks for the well wishes. I can take a full deep breath, standing with my shoulders back.

Thought I would check in here and see if anybody was having fun, though I can't stay long. This desk chair doesn't help anything, and I don't want any setbacks.

Luv yall.
Glad you are doing better, but definitely don't sit somewhere that isn't comfortable.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Except you seem to have a greater appreciation for music in foreign languages. I have never really been interested in listening to music that I couldn't understand. After listening to a few of the songs you posted I may have to change that. Oddly I have sung in French, Russian, German, Latin, Italian, I think that's it but I may be missing something, those days were so long ago. My constant singing around the house led my parents to look into opportunities to sing more formally. I became a member of The Glen Ellyn Children's Chorus and performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Chorus on multiple occasions under Sir George Solti and once under the Maestro Claudio Abbado before I was 14.

French - Berlioz - La Damnation de Faust
German - Mahler - Symphony # 3 & Symphony # 8
- Schoenberg - Moses und Aron
Russian - Mussorgsky - Boris Godunov

Mahler's 8th was at the Ravinia Festival, the others at Orchestra Hall in Chicago.

Sadly my singing after aging out was limited to High School Choir, a few musicals in my teen years, then some karaoke from time to time since. Been told I should sing more, but never have. Music is important to me and I always had the fear that if I tried singing in anything more than a casual way I would wind up like Martin Tanner from Harry Chapin's song

I will say that I find myself enthralled with a song I just stumbled across by someone named Junior H, despite the fact I don't speak a word of Spanish so really don't know what the song is about. Apparently thousands of roses? Miles de Roses

Anyway, enough about me. Time for me to find a song that fits into the thread

You said:

...I have sung in French, Russian, German, Latin, Italian, I think that's it...

Oh that's all, huh. WOW!!!

I have a love of languages. You don't grow up on the south side of SA without picking up some Spanish. So I took French and Spanish in high school. Then in college I majored in French. Loved French literature, which has all the crazy theories and philosophies, some of which I'm only really beginning to understand now, much later in life. I've traveled much of the world, and have lived in France. France is my soul's home. My French is rusty now for not being used, but I'm fond of joking that I can order restaurant food in five languages.

Love that song you posted. "He did not know how well he sang. It just made him whole". That's what music does for us.

Correct on the translation of "miles de rosas", thousands of roses. 2023 release, and now I want to look closer at the artist, Junior H.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Bliss Doubt Were really gonna miss you today but that's the best thing you can do for your ribs. About 20 years ago I broke 3 ribs racing a 4 wheeler ( motorcycle type) , flipped it. Luckily I had 2 weeks off work, vacation time, and I could hardly breath but never went to the doctor. I just laid in bed as motionless as possible. I had always wondered if I had really broken them or only bruised them till my cancer MRI and they asked me how that happened, because they had no record of it. So now I know for sure broke 3. Ribs really hurt so please take it real easy and get lots of rest.

I changed my vote on this post of yours to "wow". Jimi, you are always full of surprises. I guess you taught that 4 wheeler a lesson. Some day in the far distant future when you're at those pearly gates, and they say "are you sure you did all you could to be kind to all, to use the gifts you were born with, and to have an adventurous life?", you'll be able to pass right through to the VIP lounge.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In fairness, the friends telling me to get out more know that I have been isolating myself out of some combination of fear and anxiety. I have allowed events that took place years ago to create much of that anxiety. I freely admit to them that I have allowed myself to slide into a state of mild but ongoing depression and that it is largely due to that self-isolation. So they are right that I need to do something just to get out of the house.

My argument is always "But I don't know where to go or what to do that I would actually enjoy." I have however driven past that bar every day for a year and a half, seen the sign that said Blues Bar and Dance Hall, and thought "I wonder if they really have live music?" I would have guessed that the closest actual blues bar/club would be about an hour and a half or so from me. But I finally looked them up, and lo and behold, a local band that I like will be there next weekend. So, time for me to stop making excuses and DO something. This is actually a good thing for me from a mental health standpoint, as long as I don't talk myself out of it, or let my social anxiety talk me out of it I guess I should say.

Gosh, I hope this sojourn does all you hope it will do for you, and that you'll really enjoy it.

Yes, it's terrible how a past event or trauma can make fear and depression set in that way and change your life.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At one time I was a member of the Marin county children's choir. Then puberty hit and my voice changed. Now I can't sing well at all. I don't have one continuous range. My voice is now two split octaves when singing and they won't join together.
I can't sing the vast majority of recorded music in the original key. I'm definitely a baritone who does better with notes approaching the bass range than those in the tenor range. Seems most singers are tenors, or baritones with higher ranges at least. I can do some Johnny Cash, but not Elvis.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Confession time. When someone posts a song, I only give myself a couple of seconds to think of a response on my own. If something does come to mind quickly, kit will usually be rock, though occasionally something different. If nothing comes to mind within those couple seconds, I cheat. I pick a single word from that title and run it through a web page I have bookmarked getting back a list of songs with that word. It's a good way to encounter songs I would almost certainly have never heard otherwise. Such as I Think I Left The Stove On.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
At one time I was a member of the Marin county children's choir. Then puberty hit and my voice changed. Now I can't sing well at all. I don't have one continuous range. My voice is now two split octaves when singing and they won't join together.

"My voice is now two split octaves when singing and they won't join together."

I've never heard of that phenomenon, so I'm not sure what it means. But it didn't rob you of your love of music, which is clearly still in force.

Have you ever heard the Mongolian throat overtone singing, where they try to split the voice into two tones? If I had time I could find a perfect example, but here's one:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Confession time. When someone posts a song, I only give myself a couple of seconds to think of a response on my own. If something does come to mind quickly, kit will usually be rock, though occasionally something different. If nothing comes to mind within those couple seconds, I cheat. I pick a single word from that title and run it through a web page I have bookmarked getting back a list of songs with that word. It's a good way to encounter songs I would almost certainly have never heard otherwise. Such as I Think I Left The Stove On.

Whatever it takes to stay ahead of the Ninja, eh?

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm sure we all do something similar. I search through my music app on my phone with my library. When I come up with nothing then I search YouTube.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
"My voice is now two split octaves when singing and they won't join together."

I've never heard of that phenomenon, so I'm not sure what it means. But it didn't rob you of your love of music, which is clearly still in force.

Have you ever heard the Mongolian throat overtone singing, where they try to split the voice into two tones? If I had time I could find a perfect example, but here's one:

I have a low range and a mid range but they don't flow together. Like if I'm singing in my low range and it starts to get too high I need to jump up to my mid range and they aren't connected together. Our parish priest is the same way.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Never heard the blues in Spanish before but I love it. I was actually almost disappointed when he switched to English halfway through. Gonna need to look more into Randy Garibay.

Youtube is full of errors. The name of that song is "Viuda Negra", not "Vivda Negra".

Anyway, Randy was a local artist with a huge following. His band was "Cats don't sleep". They often took center stage as headliners at Fiesta San Antonio events. He did local subject matter, like his song "Barbacoa and Big Red". If you don't know, Big Red is a soda pop, and Barbacoa & Big Red was a Sunday menu specialty combo at west side restaurants.

Then he had a big national radio hit, "Two Steps from the Blues". I'll post it here, but not as a game post. It's on the same CD as "Viuda Negra". I own the CD, one of my dearest treasures. I forget when he passed away. His daughter Michelle Garibay Carey is making her own name these days, with her own real talent.

Anyway, here's that radio hit from Randy Garibay and Cats Don't Sleep:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
How are you feeling today @SnapDragon NY and @Bliss Doubt?

Thank you Goph. I'm feeling 95 percent better. I just feel like I had a fall and am on the mend, as compared to miserable, in pain, wanting only to sleep that first day, still hurting sleeping most of the day yesterday. By the time I woke up last evening I felt almost normal, and then I had another good night's sleep last night. Sleep is the best healer, IMO.

I hope Snap is continuing on the mend too.

And how are you today?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That appears to be a very old song, though Grupo la Migra released this lovely version of it in 2015. I looked up the lyrics and translated in google translate:

One morning, sad and rainy
I saw a young woman
In her window I saw her, beautiful
Like a rose from my garden

What's your name, pretty brunette?
With all my soul, I asked her.
How beautiful you are, your face
Your beautiful hair, let me see you.

I am Mexican, I have my parents
When you talk to them, I will love you
I am a flower of the river, because of my name
Because by name, they call me flower