Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might enjoy this CD, though it is by no means similar to the piece you just posted:

"Hot Club Of San Francisco: Bohemian Maestro - Django Reinhardt and the Impressionists".

They're not doing the music of Reinhardt, but are doing what they call "impressionist music" based on the era and the artistic milieu in which it was composed, which is the same era in which Django Reinhardt composed.

This one is based on a piece by Poulenc:

It's a word match in the game:

"The Flower Duet" w/
"The Pathways of Love"

Here's an article about the CD:

Last edited:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might enjoy this CD, though it is by no means similar to the piece you just posted:

"Hot Club Of San Francisco: Bohemian Maestro - Django Reinhardt and the Impressionists".

They're not doing the music of Reinhardt, but are doing what they call "impressionist music" based on the era and the artistic milieu in which it was composed, which is the same era in which Django Reinhardt composed.

This one is based on a piece by Poulenc:

Here's an article about the CD:

Thank you so much, that sounds wonderful. I immediately recognized that particular song, I'm sure it is a waltz I have heard before in other forms. I'll have to look into other recordings by The Hot Club of San Francisco and see what else they have done, but this definitely seems like something I would like.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'll have to look into other recordings by The Hot Club of San Francisco and see what else they have done, but this definitely seems like something I would like.

Hot Club of San Francisco is one of many 'Hot Club" bands. I used to think Hot Club de France was a night club, or maybe a long standing band with members coming in and out.

Hot Club de France started out as a student club for jazz listeners and amateur players, founded by French lycee (high school) students for the purpose of listening to and promoting jazz, a genre which originally met with considerable objection in the French public, just as it was somewhat controversial and suspect here in the US, and just as rock & roll was a later genre that was slow to be accepted as a real art form.

The four original "hot club" students went from high school to college, and Hot Club de France became a university campus organization. From those beginnings Hot Club de France became a veritable music industry in France, with affiliate organizations and copycat Hot Clubs in other European countries.

The founding premise of the group, a "mission statement" if you will, was that only the jazz and blues traditions of the African American community constituted authentic jazz. There was even an ousting of one of the early leaders of the club over the acceptance of the later "bop" development. Of course time marches on, so the requirement for the "authentic" became "rooted in the authentic". Gradually other forms of jazz gained acceptance by the club's purists, but not before a long tradition of dedication to the early jazz of American black musicians.

Louis Armstrong was elected honorary President of the Club in 1936, and held that title until his death in 1971. The organization staged and promoted concerts and jazz festivals throughout its history, and many French musicians were discovered that way, including Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli. Hot Club de France organized tours for American artists, including Earl Hines, Memphis Slim and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

You could think of early 20th century black jazz musicians as ambassadors to the world. The stunning talent and quality of the music inspired admiration, and compassion for the civil rights struggle of those artists. Now, France had its own unique racial tensions, and it's complicated, but those stemmed from immigration into France from France's colonial holdings in North Africa. Those immigrants were always called "les arabes". There was, and still is, an underclass of north African immigrants, but the French loved American blacks, for which reason so many American artists and writers who gave up on ever being accepted as fully participating citizens in our democracy, lived out their final years in France, including Josephine Baker, Sidney Bechet, Eartha Kitt, Johnny Griffin, James Baldwin, Nina Simone, and many, many others.

The concerts promoted by the Hot Club were at various venues throughout the years, including schools, but the club did open its own entertainment venue in Paris in 1969, Le Cave du Hot Club de France.

Artists who played at jazz festivals organized by Hot Club de France from the 1930's through the 50's:

Garland Wilson
Freddy Johnson
Louis Armstrong and his All Stars
Warren "Baby" Dodds
Coleman Hawkins
John Lewis
Erroll Garner
Howard McGhee
Charlie Parker Quintet
Miles Davis
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonious Monk
Mary Lou Williams
Hot Lips Page
Tadd Dameron

Artists whose recording sessions on the Swing record label were sponsored by Hot Club de France:

Coleman Hawkins
Dicky Wells
Bill Coleman
Benny Carter

Hot Club de France was an important and effective part of the French Resistance, le Maquis, during the second world war. The members used their sanctioned music business travel to spread information about the German troops, for which some of the members wound up in concentration camps, another long, long story with tons of fascinating information. They had code names and everything.

Hot Club de France still exists and has a Facebook page.

Tribute songs in the 1960's:

Claude Nougaro - "Armstrong"
Serge Gainsbourg - "Black Trombone"

None of that history has much to do with HCSF's "Bohemian Maestro" release that has the "impressionist music" incl. the Poulenc piece. It's a little side project of theirs, to place Reinhardt, founding member of Quintette Hot Club de France, in the wider artistic context of the era in which he lived, composed and performed.

The "Hot Club" thing is a big, deep rooted tree that continues to put out more and more branches.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hot Club of San Francisco is one of many 'Hot Club" bands. I used to think Hot Club de France was a night club, or maybe a long standing band with members coming in and out.

Hot Club de France started out as a student club for jazz listeners and amateur players, founded by French lycee (high school) students for the purpose of listening to and promoting jazz, a genre which originally met with considerable objection in the French public, just as it was somewhat controversial and suspect here in the US, and just as rock & roll was a later genre that was slow to be accepted as a real art form.

The four original "hot club" students went from high school to college, and Hot Club de France became a university campus organization. From those beginnings Hot Club de France became a veritable music industry in France, with affiliate organizations and copycat Hot Clubs in other European countries.

The founding premise of the group, a "mission statement" if you will, was that only the jazz and blues traditions of the African American community constituted authentic jazz. There was even an ousting of one of the early leaders of the club over the acceptance of the later "bop" development. Of course time marches on, so the requirement for the "authentic" became "rooted in the authentic". Gradually other forms of jazz gained acceptance by the club's purists, but not before a long tradition of dedication to the early jazz of American black musicians.

Louis Armstrong was elected honorary President of the Club in 1936, and held that title until his death in 1971. The organization staged and promoted concerts and jazz festivals throughout its history, and many French musicians were discovered that way, including Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli. Hot Club de France organized tours for American artists, including Earl Hines, Memphis Slim and Sister Rosetta Tharpe.

You could think of early 20th century black jazz musicians as ambassadors to the world. The stunning talent and quality of the music inspired admiration, and compassion for the civil rights struggle of those artists. Now, France had its own unique racial tensions, and it's complicated, but those stemmed from immigration into France from France's colonial holdings in North Africa. Those immigrants were always called "les arabes". There was, and still is, an underclass of north African immigrants, but the French loved American blacks, for which reason so many American artists and writers who gave up on ever being accepted as fully participating citizens in our democracy, lived out their final years in France, including Josephine Baker, Sidney Bechet, Eartha Kitt, Johnny Griffin, James Baldwin, Nina Simone, and many, many others.

The concerts promoted by the Hot Club were at various venues throughout the years, including schools, but the club did open its own entertainment venue in Paris in 1969, Le Cave du Hot Club de France.

Artists who played at jazz festivals organized by Hot Club de France from the 1930's through the 50's:

Garland Wilson
Freddy Johnson
Louis Armstrong and his All Stars
Warren "Baby" Dodds
Coleman Hawkins
John Lewis
Erroll Garner
Howard McGhee
Charlie Parker Quintet - Blues for Alice
Miles Davis
Dizzy Gillespie
Thelonious Monk
Mary Lou Williams
Hot Lips Page
Tadd Dameron

Artists whose recording sessions on the Swing record label were sponsored by Hot Club de France:

Coleman Hawkins
Dicky Wells
Bill Coleman
Benny Carter

Hot Club de France was an important and effective part of the French Resistance, le Maquis, during the second world war. The members used their sanctioned music business travel to spread information about the German troops, for which some of the members wound up in concentration camps, another long, long story with tons of fascinating information. They had code names and everything.

Hot Club de France still exists and has a Facebook page.

Tribute songs in the 1960's:

Claude Nougaro - "Armstrong"
Serge Gainsbourg - "Black Trombone"

None of that history has much to do with HCSF's "Bohemian Maestro" release that has the "impressionist music" incl. the Poulenc piece. It's a little side project of theirs, to place Reinhardt, founding member of Quintette Hot Club de France, in the wider artistic context of the era in which he lived, composed and performed.

The "Hot Club" thing is a big, deep rooted tree that continues to put out more and more branches.
Impressive list of names. You are a veritable fount of music history information.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Impressive list of names. You are a veritable fount of music history information.

It's just that after I found out about Quintette Hot Club de France, and bought a CD of their music, I started to notice all of the other "Hot Club" organizations:

Hot Club of Detroit
Hot Club of San Francisco
Hot Club of Cowtown (yup, really)
Hot Club of the Americas
Hot Club of Norway

and more, more and more, probably ultimately a list of 50, I started to think "what the heck is this about", so I started researching it, and to me that early history of it is fascinating.

But of the players in this thread, Jimi is the walking encyclopedia of music history.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hot Club of Cowtown
Had to look that one up. Austin of course. Austin truly is a mecca of music. Most people think Memphis or Nashville, but so many musical genres have been represented in Austin and so many well known artists either came out of Austin or spent a significant period of time there. Blues, folk, country, rock...
Shakey Graves
Janis Joplin
Jimmie and Stevie Ray Vaughan
Black Joe Lewis
Willie Nelson
Just to name a few that I know off the top of my head.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I got so confused- I thought Sir posted the last song I replied to
My bad, got distracted listening to some interesting music. On a side note, no Sir necessary. In fact I would prefer to simply be Kad. Long story but the user name has some meaning to it that I would prefer to put behind me.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

VU Sponsors