Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got a big pot of homemade veggie soup goin, I eat a lot of soup this time of year, @ SirKadly can prolly relate to that, I am sure he gets his share of cold livin in Indiana ;)
Definitely. Speaking of soup I haven't found that recipe yet. I know it isn't like most of the recipes online. This wasn't a creamy type of soup. It had tons of garlic, like a couple of whole heads I'm sure, green peppers, and I'm pretty sure it was made with a beef stock with some tomato paste added, but veggie stock could easily be subbed. I'm gonna head over to my mom's house this weekend and see if there are recipes I left behind when we moved her out.

I can't quite figure out why my brother is holding off on putting the house up for sale, something to do with medicaid spenddowns, I don't know, but it has been sitting empty for a couple months now. Guess I should mention my mom has fairly advanced Alzheimer's and we had to get her into a memory care facility a few months ago. It wasn't safe for her to be alone even for short periods of time any more. ☹️

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Definitely. Speaking of soup I haven't found that recipe yet. I know it isn't like most of the recipes online. This wasn't a creamy type of soup. It had tons of garlic, like a couple of whole heads I'm sure, green peppers, and I'm pretty sure it was made with a beef stock with some tomato paste added, but veggie stock could easily be subbed. I'm gonna head over to my mom's house this weekend and see if there are recipes I left behind when we moved her out.

I can't quite figure out why my brother is holding off on putting the house up for sale, something to do with medicaid spenddowns, I don't know, but it has been sitting empty for a couple months now. Guess I should mention my mom has fairly advanced Alzheimer's and we had to get her into a memory care facility a few months ago. It wasn't safe for her to be alone even for short periods of time any more. ☹️
That soup sounds tasty, I love garlic, sorry to hear your mom has Alzheimer's, my mom died from it, first forgot how to swallow then how to breath, it's a cruel disease, I will add her to my daily prayers my friend

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am gonna haveta take a minute and make a fresh pot of
Jimi, how do you make your coffee? I know you use purified water from your Big Berkey, but after that, is it a coffee machine, French press, or what?

My favorite home brewed coffee is with a French press, but I don't like having to clean the pot and the parts every night. For years I've been using the Folgers singles, which are like tea bags but with coffee, and the coffee tastes great, but it isn't organic. There have been organic teabag style coffee singles, but it seems like they come out and then soon disappear from the market, and they're very expensive. So I was using these for a while:

But they're meant to be brewed in a force-through coffee machine, so used as teabags they're not very strong.

So now I bought a bag of ground organic coffee and some DIY disposable empty tea bags, to make my own singles. I'll be starting on that once I use up the last few Baronet pads I have left.

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, how do you make your coffee? I know you use purified water from your Big Berkey, but after that, is it a coffee machine, French press, or what?

My favorite home brewed coffee is with a French press, but I don't like having to clean the pot and the parts every night. For years I've been using the Folgers singles, which are like tea bags but with coffee, and the coffee tastes great, but it isn't organic. There have been organic teabag style coffee singles, but it seems like they come out and then soon disappear from the market, and they're very expensive. So I was using these for a while:

But they're meant to be brewed in a force-through coffee machine, so used as teabags they're not very strong.

So now I bought a bag of ground organic coffee and some DIY disposable empty tea bags, to make my own singles. I'll be starting on that once I use up the last few Baronet pads I have left.
I just use a coffee maker the easy to use kind.
I have to have a good organic coffee or the beast will bite me so it's just easy enough for me, at least I can't burn anything makin coffee :giggle:

I'd like to try some outta a French press though

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'd like to try some outta a French press though

Nothing better, IMO, but if you get a French press you want to be sure to get one that comes with a warming ring to put over a burner (on low) to keep it hot.

Or, nowadays, you can get thermal ones like this:

1699986194968.png

After all those years of Mr. Coffee stuff at the old brick & mortar offices, I've never wanted it at home, though it is tolerable.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I'm not Jimi but I'm going to give you my thoughts.
Those pods you have been using work great in a Bunn My Cafe, which also has attachments for k-cup and using your own grounds.
French Press - I agree completely, love the coffee, hate the cleanup.
The thing about those Folgers singles is that what is inside them is basically a form of instant coffee, I'm not sure you will ever get the same type of brew from steeping regular grounds in a tea bag. But I've not tried it so maybe?
Pourover works very well for single cups of coffee. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W5KPSQ/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAYMq&th=1

Of course in my opinion the best coffee comes from fresh roasted beans, ground right before brewing. But if your goal is organic, it might be hard to find truly fresh roasted beans that are organic unless you roast them yourself.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm not Jimi but I'm going to give you my thoughts.
Those pods you have been using work great in a Bunn My Cafe, which also has attachments for k-cup and using your own grounds.
French Press - I agree completely, love the coffee, hate the cleanup.
The thing about those Folgers singles is that what is inside them is basically a form of instant coffee, I'm not sure you will ever get the same type of brew from steeping regular grounds in a tea bag. But I've not tried it so maybe?
Pourover works very well for single cups of coffee. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004W5KPSQ/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAYMq&th=1

Of course in my opinion the best coffee comes from fresh roasted beans, ground right before brewing. But if your goal is organic, it might be hard to find truly fresh roasted beans that are organic unless you roast them yourself.

It's okay. Writing your thoughts gave me time to post a song without getting ninja'd. 😹

The Folgers singles are ground coffee supplemented with some instant, and many visitors I've served them to have remarked on how tasty they are, but I'm becoming zero-tolerant toward non-organic, especially in something I consume every day.

So yeah, the pourover. I have one of these from a thrift shop, the big 10-cup Chemex, hard to find, and I even made a French maid outfit to put around it's small waist instead of the wood collar.

1699986994859.png

But I only use it for company, since my French press is a 3-cup. Otherwise, the cleanup..., and my apartment size dishwasher gets crowded.

I'm just not interested in having a machine coffee maker. They get gunked up with lime deposits and have to be vinegared out. And two cups a day of k-cups, well I'm just not interested in 730 annual k-cup landfill, though I know people really enjoy that kind of coffee.

AND, yezzzzzzzz, roasting and grinding your own beans, oh my. Just not gonna happen at my lazy level (10).

I appreciate having your coffee thoughts.

I'll let you know how my DIY coffee teabags work.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So yeah, the pourover. I have one of these from a thrift shop, the big 10-cup Chemex, hard to find, and I even made a French maid outfit to put around it's small waist instead of the wood collar.
After an extensive google search I have failed to find a single collar or cozy for the Chemex that looks like a maid outfit, French or otherwise. You have come up with a unique collar.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And with that I am out for the day.

1699991157309.png

Been frozen since that day
I saw my clear blue skies
As they turned to gray in front of me

It's hard to find my way
Can I rise above
When giving up is all I know?

I'm done running towards
The eyes of tornadoes
Pretending this is hope

I breathe in the atmosphere
Let it wash over my fear
Of these heights as I transcend
And become whole again

-Starset/Breaking Benjamin

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
How are you feelin today my friend?
I am doing much better-Thanks for asking! I bought my 22lb turkey and all the fixings today. I get home and forgot the butternut squash, ugh, so I have to trudge back to the grocery store this week for that, lol!
16 people for my Thanksgiving , glad I will be feeling much better for that!
How are you and Jean doing?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So glad you are gettin better for Thanksgivin, so hard to do things when you don't feel good. I wish you lived close I'd run you over a couple, I think I have about 9 left.
We're doin pretty good both tryin to put on weight, weighed the other day she was 100 even and I was 128, we both eat like horses, and she eats sweets, cake, ice cream every day and I just can't believe she is losin weight. We been eatin 3 x a day, her Dr. is sendin her to a nutritionist to help her gain but I don't know what she'll be able to do, she eats a lot of meat. Just drivin me crazy tryin to figure out why she don't gain.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
We're doin pretty good both tryin to put on weight, weighed the other day she was 100 even and I was 128,
Wow , all that eating and still no weight gain. I gain weight looking at a cookie, lol! I wish I could give you the weight I am trying to lose, not easy to lose weight either no matter how little I eat and how active I am.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have heard that an idle mind is the devil's workshop. For me though an idle mind breeds curiosity, usually about something that I really hadn't ever thought about or even cared about. And sometimes that leads to learning interesting things. In this case my idle mind suddenly wondered "Why the heck is that band that's playing this weekend called Whistle Pigs? What is a friggin' whistle pig?"

As it turns out, I might run into some of gopher's distant relatives on Saturday. Apparently it is another name for a groundhog or woodchuck, which still left me perplexed until I found this video. Hey, it's music related, sort of.

VU Sponsors