Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am gonna call it a night, thanks to everyone for playin today, you all made my day so special today :bliss: see you all tomorrow

f978c1c24ae8e6c094412f2f5c75380f.jpg

4bc380c41ce9ddf39e077b73c8a3dc2f.jpg

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Storm - Taranis

Tis a long one, sorry. OK, not actually sorry.:p

Taranis
The Celts were a diverse group of tribes that inhabited Europe during the Iron Age and the Roman era. Their religious beliefs were polytheistic (the belief in multiple gods) and centered on a pantheon of gods and goddesses, each with their unique attributes and responsibilities. Among these deities, Taranis was one of the most significant.

Taranis, also known as the Thunderer, was the Celtic god of thunder, lightning, and storms. He was often associated with the sky, and his presence was felt in the rumble of thunder and the flash of lightning. The name Taranis is derived from the Proto-Indo-European root *tor-, meaning “thunder,” and is linguistically related to the Norse god Thor, the Germanic god Thunor, and the Hindu deity Indra (Green, 1992).

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Storm out on the sea
-Dixie Chicks

I have always loved these lyrics. I can't figure out just who wrote the song, but I've never heard it done by any other artists.

You never said you'd stay with me
I never tied your hands
The way some frightened women do to keep their love on land
Where they can walk dry footed
And never fear the tide
Or the moon upon the water
In their lover's arms they hide

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good mornin Family :wave:
Cold wet day here, good day to get caught up on things:huh:
I hope the day is bein kind to everyone:)

May be an image of christmas tree and text

May be an image of 1 person

🔴
NOVEMBER 29 2001
George Harrison succumbs to lung cancer at age 58. His final hours are spent with his wife, son, and musician Ravi Shankar at his side.
The youngest Beatle, Harrison was the group's lead guitarist. As the group matured, he became a formidable songwriter, with "Taxman" and "Something" among his compositions. Many of his songs didn't land on Beatles albums, as John Lennon and Paul McCartney got precedence, so when the group split, he had three albums worth of songs ready to go. The result was All Things Must Pass, a landmark triple album released in 1970 that includes the tracks "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life."
He released a steady string of albums in the '70s, but became far less visible following the 1980 death of John Lennon. Gardening was a passion, as was film: his company Hand Made Films produced Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979), Time Bandits (1981) and Shanghai Surprise (1986 - they can't all be winners).
In 1988, he formed The Traveling Wilburys with Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan and Roy Orbison, which Harrison said was "One of the most enjoyable things I've done."
Harrison explored Indian music and was a student of Eastern religion, something he pursued in earnest. After failed cancer surgery early in November 2001, he began preparing for his death, meeting with friends and family to say his goodbyes. In Krishna tradition, he is cremated just hours after his death in an intimate ritual. His wife Olivia and son Dhani release a statement saying: "He left this world as he lived in it, conscious of God, fearless of death, and at peace, surrounded by family and friends. He often said, 'Everything else can wait but the search for God cannot wait, and love one another.'"
Dylan is among the many offering words of tribute. "George was a giant, a great, great soul. He was like the sun, the flowers and the moon, and we'll miss him enormously."

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Attention @SnapDragon NY and any other Ghost fans...

From Metal Injection
"Ghost just surprise released their 13 Commandments compilation, which serves as a greatest hits for their later material. Interestingly, Ghost included the rare Meliora B-side "Zenith" as part of the compilation, which was previously only included on super limited physical versions of that album. So if you've never heard "Zenith" or didn't even know it existed, this is basically a brand new Ghost song for you to dig into!"

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Attention @SnapDragon NY and any other Ghost fans...

From Metal Injection
"Ghost just surprise released their 13 Commandments compilation, which serves as a greatest hits for their later material. Interestingly, Ghost included the rare Meliora B-side "Zenith" as part of the compilation, which was previously only included on super limited physical versions of that album. So if you've never heard "Zenith" or didn't even know it existed, this is basically a brand new Ghost song for you to dig into!"
Thank You for this- love that band, so mad I didn't go to their concert in Syracuse, my BIL would have gone with me.
I follow them on FB so I saw this a day ago with a link to listen to the songs for free .

1701548626557.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Mother Mary- UFO
In days of old, when you boarded a ship to move to America, before there were easy means of communication, and a letter could take months to arrive if at all, when you saw a friend who was going back you would say "If you see my mother, tell her I'm okay", or "If you see my mother, tell her I've made a success here", or "If you see my mother tell her the baby came, a boy, and Marie is fine". And so forth. That is the title of this song by Sidney Bechet (1897-1959):

If you see my mother (Si tu vois ma mere)
-Diego Figueiredo, guitar; Cyrille Aimée, voice

When I think of you
In my mind I see
The flowery balcony
Where you smiled at me
When I went away
Remember!

Since then, I have travelled
And on all the roads
Forever, your sweet face
That a dream outlines
Remains

The time slipping away
In the forgetful wind
Will pass noiselessly
Not claiming anything
Mom, you know that
Nothing can erase the past

I will remember your eyes
Until my last day
Mom,
My most tender love!

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Changed my mind again. "Of" was the word I had. There are fewer Chanukah songs, and even less opportunity to word match, so THIS splendid song:

Lion of Judah / Maoz Tzur (medley)
-Ras Michael

Repeating from when I posted this song last year:

Ethiopian Jews consider themselves full heirs to the ancient Jewish tradition, and there are several different Jewish sects in Ethiopia, just as there are everywhere. Indeed there were old testament Hebrew kings who married Ethiopian princesses and queens. Some of the the mainstream of Judaism disputes this Ethiopian Jewish heritage, and it wasn't until 2020 that Israel lifted restrictions on the emigration of Ethiopian Jews there.

The strong Ethiopian claim crosses into the Rasta tradition, as Haile Selassie's family traced its lineage from the Solomonic dynasty, which brings me to this piece from the CD Reggae Chanukah, a project of Alan Eder at CalArts school of music, with various participants, released in 1999.

This is a beautiful arrangement I could listen to over and over again. Ras Michael is an accomplished Jamaican Nyabinghi drummer, and is the main singer on this piece too, though there are others from this project participating. Nyabinghi has an interesting history of it's own, starting long ago as the rhythm for invocations of the gods of the old pantheons of several different African nations, later just widely used as a highly disciplined ostinato. This song is a medley of Lion of Judah, the song of triumph over oppression, making it an all faiths hymn; and Ma'oz Tzur the 12th century Chanukah song which means "strong rock" or "rock of ages", an epithet for God.

Ras Michael is a deeply religious artist. In addition to acting as an evangelist, ambassador and diplomat for the Ethiopian Orthodox Tawahido Church internationally, he is one of the founders, and the president of, the Rastafarian International/Marcus Garvey Culture Center in Los Angeles, and the Fly Away Culture Center in Kingston, Jamaica. Currently he lives in Los Angeles.

I don't know why that inappropriate cover photo is on this video. Maybe just the choice of the person who uploaded it. Why this piece is on neither Alan Eder's YT channel, nor Ras Michael's, is beyond me.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors