Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For anyone not familiar, Afroman is probably best known for the song "Because I Got High" which while humorous also has a serious side with lines such as:

I was gonna pay my car and note until I got high (say what say what?)
I wasn't gonna gamble on the boat but then I got high (uh uh)
Now the tow truck is pullin' away and I know why (why man)
'Cause I got high
Because I got high
Because I got high

There is an entire story related to the song I posted, Lemon pound Cake, and to the album of the same name. Short version: if you watched the video what you see includes security camera footage of an actual police raid in Afroman's house while he was out of town where they found nothing they were looking for. But Afroman noticed the one officer seeming to eye the cake when he watched the footage and turned it into a song.

Longer version (ie more details plus a bonus song):
The basis for the search warrant was statements made by a "confidential informant." When Afroman (according to him) asked the Sheriff later if he was under arrest the answer was no. When he asked if they were planning on charging him with anything the answer was no. When he asked if they would help him fix his gate and door which they had destroyed, the Sheriff smirked and said "We aren't required to do that."
Instead of reacting the way many people would, Afroman used his creativity, initially writing a song called "Will You Help Me Repair My Door" as a way of expressing his feelings about what happened.

This song then turned into an entire album. The video he produced for the song Lemon Pound Cake went viral.

In response, Afroman was sued by some of the police officers for using their images for commercial purposes. In a statement he made in response to the suit Afroman said:

"Me laughing at them, making songs about them, is more powerful than their authority. It's more powerful than their assault rifles, it's more powerful than what they got because I got these big bad tough guys crying and whining about my songs, on my page, in my world."

Will You Help Me Repair My Door

Mmm hmm. It's why the police and FBI have always followed certain artists around, framed them on charges that ultimately get dismissed, but not before the cost of "lawfare" can seriously hurt an artist, while taxpayers foot the bill for the aggressor. People still think Snoop Dogg raped a woman and sold drugs, though both cases were trumped up, dismissed or the artist found innocent due to lack of any evidence whatsoever. It's unfortunate that a woman can always be found who will lie under oath for 500.00. It actually goes back to the early jazz era when it was dangerous to be both black and a successful recording artist.

"Lemon Pound Cake" is a variation of "the pen mightier than the sword". I'd never heard of Afroman. Now I'll be looking for his songs to download. He has a great sense of humor.

I searched, can't find where the lawsuit case has been resolved or settled yet.

This is another case of "pen mightier than sword", and I'm using a broken link because I just used the song recently in this thread:

om/watch?v=KILGdZBYDNI

Last edited:

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This is another case of "pen mightier than sword", and I'm using a broken link because I just used the song recently in this thread:

watch?v=KILGdZBYDNI
Yep, the Sir Mix-a-lot song is a great example. I actually like him which is unusual for me because I'm not generally too interested in rap. Though to be honest I haven't actually listened to very many of his songs either so I probably should if I'm gonna say I like his stuff.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today's good thing. I am going in to work for six hours today. A little OT is always a nice thing this time of year, and I didn't have any pressing plans, so when they asked for volunteers I figured "Why not?" Saturday overtime is also good because it's 12-6 instead of 3:30-Midnight, so I still have the evening free.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, the Sir Mix-a-lot song is a great example. I actually like him which is unusual for me because I'm not generally too interested in rap. Though to be honest I haven't actually listened to very many of his songs either so I probably should if I'm gonna say I like his stuff.

Some hip hop is tedious, formulaic, predictable, but I find that's true across all genres. Gotta get the right songs.

Here's another one, a hilarious story (broken link):

om/watch?v=AoFQhdJ2vtw

and a wonderfully funky one-hit-wonder from Dallas, Mad Flava. I don't know if he moved on to a different project, died, quit music, or had bad management that didn't promote him well, or maybe his subject matter just wouldn't work in the mass market, but everybody loved this:

om/watch?v=NwuLe2VgR5A

I still have the t-shirt, "From the Ground Unda".

Public Enemy was very cross-over friendly with rock & roll. There were quite a few hip hop groups that were, and reggae too, and then they started to release things together, Public Enemy w/ Anthrax, Jello Biafra with Ice T, KRS1 and REM, Cypress Hill and Pearl Jam, Run DMC w/ Aerosmith. My theory, at least with the first few of those collaborations, was that they all got mad at police behavior at the same time, a rallying point.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ooops, got distracted, looked up Florence K which led me to Natalie Choquette (her mother) and before I knew it I was listening to *gasp* opera. :giggle: And some good classical.
The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson

Matching "the"
Air Sur La Corde De Sol (Air on the G String) - Natalie Choquette

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
...listening to *gasp* opera.

The regular players on this thread, and even the more at large crowd of people who come and go, have a wide range of tastes in music. I've been to the opera two or three times in my life. Enjoyed it every time, though it isn't what I crave, nor do I own any of the recordings, except this version of Rudolph (which on the CD actually is titled "Don Rodolfo") has a little strain from Carmen in it toward the end at about 4:43. Love it when good music confounds expectations. Again, broken link to avoid cutting in line without a word match:

om/watch?v=76ZKli4Radk

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
13dce23d88c465b98d20e1d616ce2ff4.gif

..:).....................................................

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Autumn Leaves - Eric Clapton

Damn, all this time I've been waiting on someone to post a song with autumn in the title, and it happens when I'm not around.

OK, I'll take a cue from a couple of recent posts by Bliss, and post a broken link. Jeff Wayne's fantastic musical version of War of the Worlds includes a song called Forever Autumn. Though it did chart in England as a standalone song from what I understand, I really think Richard Burton's narration adds so much to the song that I prefer this version. Of course it ends at an odd point both musically and storywise this way, and so really needs to be followed by Thunder Child.

Forever Autumn
om/watch?v=C9DISbQKTTM

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
(New Baby) BABY NUEVA - Bad Bunny

Google Translate says...
I swear it doesn't hurt me anymore, it doesn't hurt me
I get to the club and suddenly it lights up
My love, you lose it, you lose it '
That you have someone else doesn't surprise me
And if things go well for you, things go better for me
I spend my time drinking until the sun comes up
I wish you well, I wish you the best
And the best has already happened to you, hey!
And if you thought
that I was suffering because of you,
it must be that you haven't seen me
on the street breaking
And if you thought
breaking down in the street, oh, oh, oh
With the new baby, with the new cars
With the new van, with the new picket
Girl, don't you dare call again
It's not that I don't love you, it's that I don't love you anymore, no, no, hey, hey
If you thought that pa was always going to cry
Ha-ha, ha-ha, no, hey
If you thought that drunk he was going to call
Ha-ha, ha-ha, no, hey
I don't have the guts to care about anything you post.
Your new guy is a charro, a trili, so don't bother me.
I know she's crazy to see me again and to fuck with you
. Let me walk you through San Juan, heh
Girl, don't wait for it, no matter how hard I try '
Your tits' and your ass will operate on you', there is no way for you to recover me'
You are a witch, a Mari Tere (Tere), not even mommy loves you anymore (wants)
Let you find out' (tere'), let you find out'
If things go well for you, things go better for me.
I spend my time drinking until the sun rises.
I wish you well, I wish you the best.
And the best has already happened to you, hey!
And if you thought
on the street breaking
And if you thought
breaking down in the street, oh, oh, oh
With the new baby, with the new cars
With the new van, with the new picket
Girl, don't you dare call again
It's not that I don't love you, it's that I don't love you anymore, hey, hey
If you thought I was always going to cry
Ha-ha, ha-ha, no
If you thought I was going to call drunk
Hey
Shit on your mother, mom, now there's too much
Rolex, Cartier, Audemars, I won't waste my time on you anymore, hey
Where there was fire, ashes are left and I threw them into the sea
He keeps talking bad about me
I swear it doesn't hurt me anymore
It doesn't hurt me, eh-eh

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Well, it's been a long day and I am beat. Woke up way too early this morning, and since I was going into work just never tried to get back to sleep.Gonna curl up with some chamomile tea and a good book. May not get far with either before 😴

Good night 🎶
1702174809796.png

VU Sponsors