A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Friday will be tamale day! Mexican tradition to make tamales at Christmas time. My son-in-law's Grandma's recipe is soooooooooo good! We'll be helping make them (and eat them 🤣 ). My daughter picked a good family to marry into... 🤣

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hmm, let's see, what was good for the day? Oh yeah, I retrieved a package from the neighbors from up the road. FedEx, for the last two times, has delivered packages to a house that isn't even close to mine. Very pleased they take pics of where they leave it, that's how I found the package.

I don't know if anyone was home, I pushed the doorbell twice and their three little weiner doggies barked up a storm, so pretty sure no one was there. But, I still felt like I should leave a note announcing that my presence was there. Good idea....IDK.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
More rain today! This is a heavier soaking rain and has been going on most of the day. Still a good thing.
There's another system that's supposed to bring more rain here, sure hope so! Last round was like yours, not a hard rain, a good soaking rain and rained almost an inch :)
So, you all east of here, will get rain or snow sometime after Saturday/Sunday. If you don't, than I am/was wrong, lol.

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
8103a5161cf7ab6e0a612cdc6c2b2927.jpg

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Feeling kind of bummed.:(
I had a friend from my early days on ECF that was one of the people I had wanted to reconnect with. She spent some time here on VU as well a few years ago. When I didn't find her on either forum I managed to get ahold of her through other means since I knew she was ill. Talked to her a couple times since then but I hadn't been able to get any updates for the last couple weeks so I have been trying to find another way to reach her. Finally learned something tonight. Turns out the reason I hadn't heard back the last couple times I tried to get ahold of her is that she passed away on December 5th. I kind of suspected that was why I wasn't hearing from her, but I have been hoping that wasn't the case.
She went by the name LynnNC for anyone that might know or remember her.
@Jimi I know you were praying for her too so I'm sorry I wasn't able to find this news out sooner.
😢

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Feeling kind of bummed.:(
I had a friend from my early days on ECF that was one of the people I had wanted to reconnect with. She spent some time here on VU as well a few years ago. When I didn't find her on either forum I managed to get ahold of her through other means since I knew she was ill. Talked to her a couple times since then but I hadn't been able to get any updates for the last couple weeks so I have been trying to find another way to reach her. Finally learned something tonight. Turns out the reason I hadn't heard back the last couple times I tried to get ahold of her is that she passed away on December 5th. I kind of suspected that was why I wasn't hearing from her, but I have been hoping that wasn't the case.
She went by the name LynnNC for anyone that might know or remember her.
@Jimi I know you were praying for her too so I'm sorry I wasn't able to find this news out sooner.
😢
Oh, Kad :hug: I'm so sorry. It's so hard to lose an internet friend, I truly feel it's harder. Hold the dear memories close to your heart and hope the memories see you through.
All of us know how you are feeling.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hmm, let's see, what was good for the day? Oh yeah, I retrieved a package from the neighbors from up the road. FedEx, for the last two times, has delivered packages to a house that isn't even close to mine. Very pleased they take pics of where they leave it, that's how I found the package.

I don't know if anyone was home, I pushed the doorbell twice and their three little weiner doggies barked up a storm, so pretty sure no one was there. But, I still felt like I should leave a note announcing that my presence was there. Good idea....IDK.

FedEx is the worst. I always feel lucky they didn't throw the package in the bushes and run away.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Friday will be tamale day! Mexican tradition to make tamales at Christmas time. My son-in-law's Grandma's recipe is soooooooooo good! We'll be helping make them (and eat them 🤣 ). My daughter picked a good family to marry into... 🤣

We have holiday tamale traditions in this region too, and tamalera parties like that. As a kid I remember people dropping by on Christmas Eve to bring tamales.

I hope you'll really enjoy yourself on Friday.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
And today's positive, trying another one of the Yogi teas before heading to work, Spicy Hibiscus. Supposed to be elevate mood and energy. Too early to say if that's true, but it tastes good.
The Yogi Hibiscus is very good tasting to me ;)

Hibiscus is another of those regionally popular things I don't avail myself of nearly often enough. It's good cold in a pitcher with ice, better than lemonade. There are plenty of iterations of hibiscus loose, brewed, and even in sugary pop drinks in grocery stores around here. Gotta do it soon.

I just got a green med email about this a few weeks ago:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Die Hard The Hunter - Def Leppard

Good morning. I'm up far too early this morning. Woke up shortly after 5 and couldn't get back to sleep.
Maybe I can get in a nap sometime before I go in to work. If not at least It's my last night until after the New Year. 🥱

1703160292272.png

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You're not alone
-Norah Jones

Just editing to add: I'm a fan of Norah Jones, perhaps from a bit of Texas chauvinism, but she is very talented. She's the daughter of Ravi Shankar. For whatever reasons, she grew up in Grapevine (a satellite nearby town to Dallas), and attended U of North Texas where they have a great music program and many graduates who went on to achieve fame. Relatively early in her life she moved to NYC. When artists from the Dallas-Ft Worth area, or Austin, go to NYC to make it big, I have to wonder why, or why nobody clued them in that Dallas and Austin have more recording studios, record labels and music producers, promoters, music news writers/critics, concert venues, than anybody can shake a big stick at, and it's so expensive to live in NYC. I look at the cover and liner pages her holiday release, and that apartment looks like something an NYC newcomer would only hope to be able to afford, a daybed for sleeping and sitting, big windows, the highboy for clothes, and unseen, to the right, is a beautiful carved fireplace next to her Christmas tree, altogether maybe 250 sq. ft.

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Happy Winter solstice, or not...
I forgot today is the solstice! That's my holiday, older than any of the others, the shortest day of the year, when we gather to share our meager blessings after harvests are done, everything saved that could be saved, smoked, dried, stored, the evergreens still beautiful, a promise of the return of life to the landscape while all else is buried under the snow. The rising of the sun, the running of the deer, the playing of the merry harp...

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting story about Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
The song, written for the musical movie "Weet Me In St Louis," was intentionally written to be depressing. A week prior to filming Judy Garland insisted on the lyrics being lightened up, stating the she was afraid people would view her as a monster if she sang the original song to her 8 year old co-star. The lyricist resisted since the scene was intended to be a sad and depressing scene, but was convinced that it should be sad but also hopeful, and so changed the song from this:

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Happy golden days of yore
Faithful friends who were dear to us
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now

into this
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight
Make the yuletide gay
Next year all our troubles will be miles away
Once again as in olden days
Will be near to us once more
Someday soon we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow

Frank Sinatra later requested additional changes when he wanted to use the song on a Christmas album. The most notable change the lyricist made for Sinatra's version, which has since been the version most often recorded, was to change the line:

From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
into:
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The actual title of this piece on the Christmas compilation I have, World Christmas Party on the Putumayo label, is:

Irie Christmas
-Jacob Miller

I like the reggae vibe. had to look up to see exactly what "irie" means.
Seems to be more than simply happy or merry. It looks like it typically conveys a meaning along the lines of "Everything is fine, good, all right"

This one, you have to get to about 1:30 to get the full humor of the song.
Dirty Deeds Around the Christmas Tree - AC/LeeC (mashup by Bill McClintock)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting story about Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
The song, written for the musical movie "Weet Me In St Louis," was intentionally written to be depressing. A week prior to filming Judy Garland insisted on the lyrics being lightened up, stating the she was afraid people would view her as a monster if she sang the original song to her 8 year old co-star. The lyricist resisted since the scene was intended to be a sad and depressing scene, but was convinced that it should be sad but also hopeful, and so changed the song from this:

It may be your last
Next year we may all be living in the past
Pop that champagne cork
Next year we may all be living in New York
No good times like the olden days
Will be near to us no more
But at least we all will be together
If the Lord allows

into this
Let your heart be light
Next year all our troubles will be out of sight
Make the yuletide gay
Next year all our troubles will be miles away
Once again as in olden days
Will be near to us once more
Someday soon we all will be together
If the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow

Frank Sinatra later requested additional changes when he wanted to use the song on a Christmas album. The most notable change the lyricist made for Sinatra's version, which has since been the version most often recorded, was to change the line:

From now on, we'll have to muddle through somehow
into:
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough

Very interesting. I guess in 1944, with WWII raging with all its devastating effects abroad and at home, the pessimistic version seemed more likely. Great that the revised version turned out to be true.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
had to look up to see exactly what "irie" means.
Seems to be more than simply happy or merry. It looks like it typically conveys a meaning along the lines of "Everything is fine, good, all right"

Jamaicans use the duality of dread and irie for all conditions, and I have often wondered about the origin of that. If I were forced to bet on it, I would think that "irie" comes from the french word "heureux", the sort of collapsed version of the word that you'll hear in creole French or patois, but Jamaica was never under French rule. However, when slaves were brought over, many of those slaves were from west African countries where French was spoken due to colonial rule there. Anyway, we may never know really.

In Haiti they call French the "language of lies", mainly because it has all these letters you never pronounce, so they freely collapsed things. For example, "les yeux" became simply "ze".

VU Sponsors