Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm somewhat familiar with Miles Davis being assaulted by police and arrested for nothing more than having a smoke in front of Birdland while he was performing there, and I have no doubt that many other jazz musicians had likely been unfairly targeted long before that. All have to look into it more, but I think I remember hearing about Thelonious Monk having had some run-ins with police. Jazz was a very disruptive style of music in a way, and consequently a threat to certain power structures.

And of course outside the jazz world, the whole Afroman incident I posted about awhile back was just one example of the same thing, just a different genre and era. So yes, "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" indeed. (my French may suck, but this one I know)

I once wrote a long list of examples of the civil rights issues experienced by early jazz musicians. I won't go into the reasons for that presentation I made. I wish I'd kept it. Or I wish I had time to look it all up again.

In 1940's New York, a required "cabaret card" (kinda like the "vaccine passport" so desired by bureaucrats today) was imposed on musicians who wanted to play in venues where alcohol was sold. This requirement was not repealed until 2017. You had to go to a police station to be photographed and finger printed to apply for the card, and it was routinely subsequently revoked from jazz artists, incl. Billie Holiday and Thelonious Monk.

Yes, Miles Davis, beaten by the police until bloodied, then cuffed and arrested for having a cigarette outside the venue where he was playing. He was accused of loitering.

Fats Waller wrote the song "Black and Blue" because of the continuous challenges to his civil rights (but, a propos Pena's article about conjunto music, no matter what the newspapers of Waller's time may have said about his music, it can never be said that people who heard his music didn't love it).

Louis Armstrong spoke out, after long silence, about how he could perform in the best dinner clubs, but never be served dinner in them. He was arrested in the 1930's for smoking gage, before it was a controlled or illegal substance.

Max Roach, Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway and Charles Mingus, all had unfavorable experiences with police and/or FBI.

Jazztimes.com had an article, "Jazz and FBI, guilty until proven innocent", but they have removed it from their archive. I wonder where the pressure came from to do that...

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey you guys and gals, does anyone know where I'd be able to purchase a new tip for this?
View attachment 211529
I'd like to have one that is blue and is more like a cigarette butt, one that is a bit taller.
What tank is that? Or more importantly I guess is what type of drip tip? Looks like possibly an 810 to me from the pic, and if so you probably won't find an 810 tip that is as narrow as you seem to be looking for. But some 810 tanks come with 510 adapters, or they can also be purchased on their own.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have made a spur of the moment decision, I'm gonna get myself a uke for Christmas and learn to play. Unfortunately it looks like getting a good beginner uke (as in, one that actual ukulele players who tested various models out and put together lists of ones they considered good) is going to require waiting until after Christmas. None of the ones sold at B&M places near meet are on the lists I have been looking at. Well, OK, a couple that Guitar Center carries ARE on one of the lists I looked at, but in the "Don't waste your money" column. So I guess I'll place an order and wait till the middle of next week for it.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
So cute :inlove:
b82bf9ff9af7f32da8fd194d0c580945.gif

..:).....................................................

! WAKE UP ! from the MEDIA SPELL !
Haha Love it!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Hey you guys and gals, does anyone know where I'd be able to purchase a new tip for this?
View attachment 211529
I'd like to have one that is blue and is more like a cigarette butt, one that is a bit taller.
I look and see what I have. Not sure what shops are open with shipping anymore.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I ended up changing my mind. I decided that my spur of the moment plan to order a ukulele just wasn't the best use of my money this Christmas. So instead I went to the empty box store to buy my cats a rather interesting empty box. Of course they didn't wait till Christmas morning to start playing with it.

What, you've never heard of the empty box store? Here is the box to prove it. a $100.00 box I might add.
1703285939524.png

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
What tank is that? Or more importantly I guess is what type of drip tip? Looks like possibly an 810 to me from the pic, and if so you probably won't find an 810 tip that is as narrow as you seem to be looking for. But some 810 tanks come with 510 adapters, or they can also be purchased on their own.
It is a Uwell Valyrian. It says it has a 510 thread. I don't drip, so that doesn't matter to me. It would just be nice to have it bit skinnier taller like a cig butt. I know weird, lol.
It is worthy of our Ms @SnapDragon NY :)
20231222_175902.jpg

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I look and see what I have. Not sure what shops are open with shipping anymore.
Aww, Thank you Snap. Sure do appreciate you looking ! Yup, as I do know Element Vape doesn't deliver here and MistHub, the last time I knew, they don't deliver here. That was before MistHub closed, but did receive a email stating they are back open, hmm
Kad had asked if was a 810 thread, it isn't, it is a 510 thread. He also mentioned about drip tip, it is. However, I don't do that and don't know anything about dripping. Lol, hopefully dripping is the correct vaping lingo.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is a Uwell Valyrian. It says it has a 510 thread. I don't drip, so that doesn't matter to me. It would just be nice to have it bit skinnier taller like a cig butt. I know weird, lol.
It is worthy of our Ms @SnapDragon NY :)
View attachment 211535

Not finding much online from US vendors, at least not in blue. What about the vase shaped ones? I have this in my collection of unused stuff.
1703292450634.png

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The good for the day, lol.
Walked into the kitchen, looked to my right at the table. Beside the table leg was a Tangee and he had something in his mouth, GREAT OY VEH DANG IT :xD: lol. He dropped it, saw what it was, it was a Tree Frog, what the what, how did that get in here is what I was thinking. Anyway, Tangee picked it back up and took off, well as I'm sure you are thinking, yup, the chasing begins before he kills it in here. Geez, the bad thing is, he dropped it right behind me, I didn't know or see it, and stepped on it, oooooo gross and aww I done squashed the poor thing. Haha, nope it popped up and Tangee grabbed it again, the chase is back on, lol. Oh, I'd say 10 minutes went by of chasing and missing the frog, lol. Finally, Tangee dropped it, I blocked him, YAHOO, I got it and still alive with no injuries. Took it outside and it just sat there recuperating. Did a check up on the frog and it was gone :)

Last edited:

2WhiteWolves

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Not finding much online from US vendors, at least not in blue. What about the vase shaped ones? I have this in my collection of unused stuff.
View attachment 211537
Thank you ! That looks nice, Kad. Before I say yes I'll give it a try, let's see if Snap comes up with anything.
If, she doesn't have anything, I'll sure be thankful and would take your offer. Just let me the cost and shipping costs, I'll get the money to you.
Does this sound OK with you?

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you ! That looks nice, Kad. Before I say yes I'll give it a try, let's see if Snap comes up with anything.
If, she doesn't have anything, I'll sure be thankful and would take your offer. Just let me the cost and shipping costs, I'll get the money to you.
Does this sound OK with you?
Sounds fine to me.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally made it back for a few. My good thing for the day was this afternoon I dug through out dvd's and found a funny one "it's a mad mad mad mad world" in hopes to find something to cheer Jean up. We watched it together and for the first time all month I heard her laugh and get her mind off all the BS which made me very happy.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok bad thing for today, I dosed off, just been worn out, and almost burnt the chuckwagon down. Woke up smellin smoke:confused:, luckily Jean slept through it;), and the kitchen dinin room and livin room full of smoke both smoke alarms goin off :facepalm: Had to open all the windows and doors to let the smoke out, needless to say it was a complete start over:huh: and I was startin to get points for the wooden spoon award:( Took 20 minutes to get the smoke alarms to go off.o_O

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok bad thing for today, I dosed off, just been worn out, and almost burnt the chuckwagon down. Woke up smellin smoke:confused:, luckily Jean slept through it;), and the kitchen dinin room and livin room full of smoke both smoke alarms goin off :facepalm: Had to open all the windows and doors to let the smoke out, needless to say it was a complete start over:huh: and I was startin to get points for the wooden spoon award:( Took 20 minutes to get the smoke alarms to go off.o_O
God Jimi, I just don't even know how to respond to this. I've been trying to figure out what to say now for the last half hour, and I'm no closer now than I was when I read it.
:hug:

but at the same time
:gaah:

I'm so glad that it wasn't worse and that you and Jean are both OK, but this really could have turned out badly. PLEASE find a way to get some things off your plate so you can get more downtime. There have to be some community services available.

Maybe this???

Individuals, families and friends interested in learning more about home and community-based services and supports for those ages 60 and over are encouraged to contact the Care Coordination Unit (CCU) in your area (listed to the right) through the Community Care Program (CCP). Once a referral is made a Care Coordinator will make a home visit and assist the participant in determining eligibility for CCP and in developing a person-centered plan of care. CCP core services include homecare aides, adult day services, emergency home response services and automated medication dispensers. In addition to CCP services, the CCU can link older adults to community-based services offered by the local Area Agency on Aging.
ACM Care
809 West Dettweiller Drive
Peoria, IL 61615
Phone: (309) 453-2736
Fax: (309) 694-7974
Central Illinois Agency on Aging, Inc. Mature Solutions Case Coordination Unit
6005 South Adams Street
Bartonville, IL 61607
Phone: (309) 633-0927
Fax: (309) 633-2344

Or This???

Area Agency on Aging
Area Agencies on Aging(AAAs) have the primary task of planning and coordinating services and programs for older people in their respective areas. The AAAs contract with local agencies which provide services to the older people who live in the same community. Services are based on available funding. Contract the AAA listed to the right to see if you are eligible for services.
Central Illinois Area on Aging, Inc.
700 Hamilton Boulevard
Peoria, IL 61603
Phone: (309) 674-2071
Fax: (309) 674-3639
www.ciaoa.net

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My positive thing for the day is I already learned how to play a song?:huh: Granted it's a single chord, basic strum on each beat 4 measure song but that's still playing, right?:giggle: At this rate I'll be playing "Tip Toe Through The Tulips" in no time.
:idea:Wonder if there's any money to be made as a Tiny Tim tribute artist.

VU Sponsors