Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'I will never regret getting old. I know too many people who never had that privilege.''I will never regret getting old. I know too many people who never had that privilege.'

May be an image of 1 person, smiling and text that says 'Wrinkles meạn you laughed, grey hair means you cared and slars mean you lived!''Wrinkles meạn you laughed, grey hair means you cared and slars mean you lived!'

Ok football playoff time , I'll try to check in at half time
If grey hair means you cared, what does no hair mean?
Though it is kinda by choice, shaving my head camouflages the the bald spot.:giggle:

Not grey if I let it grow though. But if I let my beard grow, it's pure white in the center, guess that means my chin cared more than my head did?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
...shaving my head camouflages the the bald spot.:giggle:

I don't know what your hereditary profile is like, but I have a suggestion you can try if you want to.

I have written often about a horrid attack of eczema I experienced in 2018. I think it was just a symptom of general failing health and really bad eating habits, but it was the worst trauma of my life. Along with the disfiguring eczema, my hair was coming out. The first evidence was on the hairbrush and the shower drain. I noticed when checking my hair before going out one evening, the place where I part my hair had become really wide.

I was doing a lot of research of what to do mainly for the eczema, to repair my skin barrier after I stopped the outbreaks. A thing many people reported success with for skin and hair restoration was MSM crystals (sulfur crystals). I took a big tablespoon of it daily in my morning coffee. You don't taste it in hot coffee. It wasn't a month before my hair was not only restored but better than it was before the eczema, and my nails were growing like maniacs.

You want the "organic" which only means not lab created. The brands I use (I still take it daily) are Bozoomer and Happy Body. When you first start using it, you have really vivid dreams.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Texas ranger man
-Loco Gringos

I saw the title and before I even had time to click the play button my brain started singing to the tune of Johnny Rivers' Secret Agent Man (don't ask me where the words come from, I have no idea, though I admit I'm not exactly in danger of breaking into the top 100 list of lyricists)

There's a man who leads a life of danger
To everyone he's Walker, Texas Ranger
With every fist he makes
Another jaw he breaks
He'll be in bed with Alex before tomorrow

Texas Ranger man, Texas Ranger man
They've given you a cool hat
And a chick with a man's name

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw the title and before I even had time to click the play button my brain started singing to the tune of Johnny Rivers' Secret Agent Man (don't ask me where the words come from, I have no idea, though I admit I'm not exactly in danger of breaking into the top 100 list of lyricists)

There's a man who leads a life of danger
To everyone he's Walker, Texas Ranger
With every fist he makes
Another jaw he breaks
He'll be in bed with Alex before tomorrow

Texas Ranger man, Texas Ranger man
They've given you a cool hat
And a chick with a man's name

The Loco Gringos were a Dallas legend, beloved by the local music community, but they were gone by the time I moved to Dallas. Pepe, their lead man, died of a her0ine overdose in 1990. There was a story often told of how he was denied admittance into a club where the Gringos were slated to headline, because he arrived barefoot. So he went back to his car and emptied two boxes of beer, made shoes out of the beer boxes, shuffled back to the door and was let in. He was messed up, but very talented.

1706496450468.png

Even though I never saw them play, their CD is one of my treasures.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
There was a story often told of how he was denied admittance into a club where the Gringos were slated to headline, because he arrived barefoot. So he went back to his car and emptied two boxes of beer, made shoes out of the beer boxes, shuffled back to the door and was let in.
Clubs and their silly dress codes.
No shoes - "Bounce or the bouncer will bounce you, I don't care if you ARE the headliner"
Beer boxes on feet - "Welcome to Club Asshattery! Come on in!"
:crazy:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Afro Blue
-Mongo Santamaria

For some reason this song has me dancing in front of my computer, and I'm usually a pretty stiff dancer but this is more like swaying and moving like a serpent. The rhythm just took control of my body or something. Of course anyone seeing me would think I've lost it, good thing there's nobody here but my cats.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Bliss Doubt Searching for more Mongo Santamaria I ran across this cut of Afro Blue, significantly longer. Though it doesn't quite grab me the way the one you posted does, I'm just bobbing along to it instead of weaving like a snake, lol. Don't really know my bongos from my congas, so not sure what he was playing in your post, but whichever kind of drum, that seemed to be what really grabbed me, and this version focusses more on the rest of the band. Still, this is some really good music. Evidently a live recording, Mongo Santamaria Explodes At The Village Gate.

utu.be/0BlViAjBKmI?si=zXYPrDy39tZ0k3SO

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@Bliss Doubt Searching for more Mongo Santamaria I ran across this cut of Afro Blue, significantly longer. Though it doesn't quite grab me the way the one you posted does, I'm just bobbing along to it instead of weaving like a snake, lol. Don't really know my bongos from my congas, so not sure what he was playing in your post, but whichever kind of drum, that seemed to be what really grabbed me, and this version focusses more on the rest of the band. Still, this is some really good music. Evidently a live recording, Mongo Santamaria Explodes At The Village Gate.

utu.be/0BlViAjBKmI?si=zXYPrDy39tZ0k3SO

Yeah, the one I posted is the original and best, IMO, although the cover shown is what I own, a 2014 combined re-release of "Mongo" and "Yambu". The one you linked is tarted up for a live performance, with more instruments. Sometimes more isn't better. I enjoy a live performance if I'm there at the performance. Otherwise I'll prefer a good, clean studio recording, and I love the understated, sustained quiet beauty of Afro Blue. Many other artists have covered it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For some reason this song has me dancing in front of my computer, and I'm usually a pretty stiff dancer but this is more like swaying and moving like a serpent. The rhythm just took control of my body or something. Of course anyone seeing me would think I've lost it, good thing there's nobody here but my cats.
What's that saying?

Sing like no one is listening.
Love like you’ve never been hurt.
Dance like nobody’s watching,
and live like it’s heaven on earth.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I believe "el negro zumbon" refers to a jester or clown character of Brazilian carnaval processions
How very odd, the song was written (according to Wikipedia anyway) in the baião style which is Brazilian, and you indicate that it refers to a figure in Brazilian carnaval processions, yet the word zumbon itself, based on my attempts to translate it, appears to be Spanish rather than Portuguese. Was I wrong in thinking they spoke Portuguese in Brazil? Or did my translator just suck, since it couldn't translate the word until I switched it from Portuguese to Spanish? Granted there are lots of similarities between the two, but this word doesn't seem to be a word that exists in both.

Various Spanish based sources though seem to go along with what you said you think, answers ranging from merrymaker to joker to someone who makes fun of people, so a clown or jester makes sense to me. It just doesn't make sense to me that a Brazilian song about a Brazilian figure would use a Spanish only word in the title. Someone who knows please clear up my ignorance regarding what language is spoken in which Central and South American nations.

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My good thing for the day. I bought myself a stainless steel water bottle, no more taking water to work in plastic bottles after hearing the reports about the amount of microplastics found in every brand of bottled water tested, apparently coming from the bottles.

VU Sponsors