Become a Patron!

A Spin Off of Keep a Word/Drop a Word and Music, Pics, and Whatnot

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of tree and text

I've never agreed with anything more strongly than this, as it says in the pic, "maybe if you are feeling off, submerge yourself in green". Just driving under a leafy canopy to get somewhere, or walking under big trees and lush hedges on my street, with all the various shades of green, and the shade underneath, makes me feel ecstatic.

The other important one is water, "liquid God", when you can swim in a clean river or lake, restores you.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Had to clean out the water fountain. The tube that goes into the plastic watering/garden bucket needed to be cleaned badly tt was all green slimy and gross. The problem is its so long that pipe cleaners twisted together cannot handle the job, too flimsy. Geez had to think of something to wrap the pipe cleaners around. :idea: A cats play toy, lol. While I was trying the the first way with the pipe cleaners, I had to lock kitties into the bedroom, if I hadn't done this the kitties would have been trying to get to the pipe cleaners and wouldn't have ended well for me, lol. Anyway, the cats toy is long hard wire with a little knob at the end, which I thought would go into the tube with no problem. Of course, I was wrong, go figure, lol. Wrapped three long pipe cleaners around the hard wire, ok now, how do I get this knobie thingie off. :idea: Use a plier, YEY, got it off. Proceeded in cleaning the tube, and it worked :bliss:and this be the good thing for the day.
But oh boy kitties were all kinds of upset with me during the whole process of cleaning the tube :teehee: They were constantly climbing the rubber coated wire on the door and meowing throughout the hour or so of me pondering and cleaning of the tube.

I wonder if one of these would help, since it's a job you have to do from time to time:

1720448749051.png

I bought a package of them for a persistent kitchen clog. They didn't work worth a dang for that, but they sure pulled a lot of hair out of the bathtub drain.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have never heard anything on our country stations that could be classified as Cajun Country so I am curious about it. I'd love some examples that I could listen to. If I had to guess I would imagine there would be similarities to zydeco (something else I had never heard of until I got to know a NOLA native) in terms of incorporating some of the Native American traditions into the folk music brought by various groups to Louisiana?

The question of what is considered "the south" also depends a bit on where you live I suppose. Many in the Midwest absolutely consider Arkansas and Texas to be part of the south, though I'll admit I don't know anyone who thinks of Oklahoma as the south. Officially though, the Census Bureau does include it as part of the region they classify as the South.

Region 3: South
Division 5: South Atlantic (Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia)
Division 6: East South Central (Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi, and Tennessee)
Division 7: West South Central (Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas)

Anyway, my original point was that I didn't consider it fair to classify Cash as a country artist considering how varied his music was, and somehow we have gone quite far afield from that (my fault, I know) so perhaps we should either drop this discussion, or move it to PMs. But definitely enlighten me a bit on Cajun Country when you get the chance.

Kad, the census reference is just referring to geographic regions on a map, nothing to do with history or culture.

As for cajun country music research, you have never needed to be spoon fed. It's an easy enough search.

But I will say that it's heavily French folk music based. As I mentioned previously, the "Cajuns" (Acadians) came down the Mississippi, and settled not only in Louisiana, but in the other states nearby, incl. east Texas, but French were already in the region. Cajun country music will usually use accordion and fiddle in addition to other instruments, and have lyrics heavily threaded with the Cajun patois. For example, the word "Zydeco" is based on a contraction of the words "les haricots", just as in the Haitian patois they contract the words "les yeux" into just "ze".

It's a music discussion in the music thread, but if you want it banned, then you can PM me.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
American Pie reminds me I need to post my good thing. I needed to run to the grocery store. I hate the way the store I go to most often is organized. When you walk in you are forced to turn to the right and walk past displays of sale item on one side of the aisle, the deli counter on the other side. This runs to one end of the store. Then you turn left and have a winding path through the baked goods, past the bakery counter, then through produce. This whole way winding like a snake until you reach the back of the store. Only once you get through all of that is it possible to go wherever you want.

The point is, I guess, that it has been a very long time since I have had strawberry rhubarb pie, which is my favorite. Of course the season for both strawberries and rhubarb is over but as I was forced to walk through the bakery section I noticed that they had strawberry rhubarb in the selection of quarter pies they sell. Yes, this grocery store actually cuts some of their pies into quarters and packages up the quarters to sell for people like me I guess, people who would never buy a full pie.

I hesitated, I mean how good could a grocery store pie be, especially when the fruits are certainly not local (since as mentioned we are now well past the season for both) but I bought one anyway. And it was actually much better than expected. So I got a strawberry rhubarb pie fix without having to buy the whole pie. Good thing for the day.

Admittedly I only walked past it because of the idiotic maze they forced me to walk through to get to the milk which was the only reason I ran to the store. So I guess maybe the good thing today is that they do have that stupid path, which I will go back to hating tomorrow.

I don't think I've ever tasted rhubarb in my life. Now I wanna try that pie.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As for cajun country music research, you have never needed to be spoon fed. It's an easy enough search.
Google seems to treat cajun country as a geographic region rather than a genre, ie music from "cajun country" so the results end up including other styles of music from the area. Or in some case traditional country artists who happen to be from Louisanna but may or may not be cajun. A listing of groups appearing at an event called Cajun Country Jam includes Sawyer Brown who are definitely what I'd call standard Nashville style country, and are from Florida. So as a musical genre it has not been an easy search.

I did come up with a couple artists including Jimmy C Newman, Cajun Country Revival, Rusty and Doug Kernshaw, but was hoping you could point me to others to check out. Another name I ran cross a couple of times is Jo-El Sonnier, but I haven't yet checked out his music. Of the songs I have checked out so far from the others they seem to have kind of a dance vibe, in some ways similar to hoe down music.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I've ever tasted rhubarb in my life. Now I wanna try that pie.
Rhubarb is kind of tart, but I think it pairs well with the sweetness of strawberries. I doubt it would be very good by itself, but I've never eaten just rhubarb. Some people use it by itself but I think it would be far too tart to be enjoyable without some way of sweetening it.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Google seems to treat cajun country as a geographic region rather than a genre, ie music from "cajun country" so the results end up including other styles of music from the area. Or in some case traditional country artists who happen to be from Louisanna but may or may not be cajun. A listing of groups appearing at an event called Cajun Country Jam includes Sawyer Brown who are definitely what I'd call standard Nashville style country, and are from Florida. So as a musical genre it has not been an easy search.

I did come up with a couple artists including Jimmy C Newman, Cajun Country Revival, Rusty and Doug Kernshaw, but was hoping you could point me to others to check out. Another name I ran cross a couple of times is Jo-El Sonnier, but I haven't yet checked out his music. Of the songs I have checked out so far from the others they seem to have kind of a dance vibe, in some ways similar to hoe down music.

You can't put it in too small a box, or require it be from just one area. Nobody ever told the Cajuns they had to stay in Louisiana, so I wouldn't be surprised to know of artists in Florida performing Cajun music. Nor is the formatting too tight. I think zydeco is both cajun and country, and some country music has elements identifiable as cajun. I referred to cajun country music, not music from cajun country where it originated.

Try this:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of 1 person, elephant and text

May be an image of text

May be a black-and-white image of 3 people

On April 19, 2016, scientists confirmed that Freddie Mercury had one of the most extraordinary voices ever.
A team of researchers from Austria, the Czech Republic and Sweden dedicated their research to the voice of Freddie Mercury.
Dr. Christian Herbst of the University of Vienna, in his article published in the journal Logopedics Phoniatrics Vocology, wrote:
"The emergence of subharmonics helps create the impression of a vocal system pushed to its limits, used with extreme mastery. These characteristics, combined with a fast and irregular vibrato, may have contributed to creating Freddie Mercury's eccentric and theatrical character ."
Scientists discovered that Freddie Mercury's vocal cords moved at a faster speed than others. His vibrato, typically oscillating between 5.4 and 6.9 Hz, reached 7.04 Hz, a frequency so high that it vibrated the throat in a way that not even Pavarotti was able to replicate.
Freddie demonstrated a mastery of subharmonics, a singing style only manageable by Tuvan singers, and did so with disarming ease.
The conclusion was unequivocal: Freddie Mercury possessed a unique voice in the Rock 'n' Roll panorama, making him one of the most singular artists ever. (A truth we already knew)
Unrivalled, unmatched, extraordinary - A Legend!

VU Sponsors