Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be art of 1 person and text

May be a black-and-white image of 1 person and text

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be a black-and-white image of 3 people, saxophone and guitar

On July 14, 1969, in preparation for Woodstock, Hendrix rented a house in upstate New York.
Located about three miles from Woodstock at 75 Traver Hollow Road near Boiceville and Shokan, where he lived for the next three months. Hendrix took residence here intially to find some solitude while he worked on a new album.
The Jimi Hendrix Experience’s second album, “Axis: Bold As Love” was released in December 1967 and was another huge commercial success. A third album, “Electric Ladyland”, expanded the group’s sound further and was again hugely successful. However, the stress of constant activity and personal tensions blew the group apart after an appearance at the Denver Pop Festival in June 1969, and he was trying to get material together for a new album and this stone manor (dubbed The Ashokan House by Hendrix fans) became his rehearsal studio for the event. Along the way he signed on to do the Woodstock Music Festival.
Hendrix employed a cook and housekeeper. Cook Claire Moriece recalls in an interview, “I was cooking for a friend of mine at a dinner party in Woodstock, and someone who was a guest at the dinner party said, ‘I didn’t know you were such a good cook,’ and I said, ‘Well, it’s just something I do natural and they said, ‘Well would you consider it as a job?’ and I said ‘Yes, certainly!’ and they said, ‘You know the Woodstock Festival is this summer, there are a lot of famous rock stars coming, would you go to work for somebody, but we can’t tell you who it is until after you get there.’ They wanted to drive me there blind-folded as it was a superstar and they did not want anyone to know where they lived. They said that the previous cook was cooking macrobiotic food, and they needed someone who was tuned into health food but not necessarily macrobiotic. And that’s how I first went in there. And I was living in the house for about three days before Jimi came in, and I had suspected that it might be Jimi but it could have been anybody, and my instant impression was what a sweet, humble, funny guy, he was very funny. I remember Jimi writing ‘Izabella’ up at that house.”
Hendrix invited New York City percussionist Jerry Velez to stay at the house. And at the time Juma Sultan was gigging in Woodstock and invited up to the house to jam. Of course, they would become part of the Gypsy Suns and Rainbows band and appeared with Hendrix at Woodstock on August 18th, and shortly thereafter he left the area.

May be an image of 2 people and motorcycle

Bob Dylan on his Triumph in Woodstock, 1969.
This photo of singer Bob Dylan on his motorcycle in Woodstock may make you assume that he was one of the many performers at the famous three-day music festival in upstate New York, but you would be wrong. First of all, the Woodstock Music Festival was actually held in Bristol, New York, about fifty miles from Woodstock. In 1966, three years before the Woodstock Festival, Bob Dylan was involved in a serious motorcycle accident that nearly cost him his life. He moved to Woodstock, a hippie mecca in the Catskill Mountains to recover. He was geographically close to the mega-festival but opted not to perform. He preferred to stay out of the spotlight.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good evenin family:wave:
had a power out again, blew a transformer, sounded like a 12 gauge shotgun, had to wait for the power to come back on so figured I would get more taders up and see how the brace worked. I over did it :facepalm: gonna pay for it tomorrow, I'll probably post a pic tomorrow just to tired today. Still have some to do, fun never ends.:giggle:
I hope the day was kind to everyone:)

May be an image of eclipse and text

May be an image of text

VU Sponsors