Ng8Cavf.gif

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm still not really getting you.. what does 'my old one is connected through the network' mean? Do you mean 'Home Group'? Internet Connection Sharing? This is where I am lost. How you are connected determines what could be wrong and what the fix is.

Here's prolly the best way to correct the problem assuming you are connected directly to the router via cable or WiFi: Follow the appropriate instructions here http://www.7tutorials.com/how-delete-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-81 to make Windows 'forget' (delete) your connection(s).. Then let Win8 find the network again and connect automatically (type in any WiFi passwords if asked). Dont try to play with the settings. If asked, leave the Firewall settings at Default for a 'Private Network'. If you arent asked about the firewall, then check the connection. If it still doesnt work, go to Control Panel > Windows Firewall and reset it to Default by hitting 'Restore Defaults' on the left hand side.

sorry to confuse you. laptop #1 is connected via wireless network connection. i want laptop #2 to connect to the same network. it won;t. it will connect via wi-fi, but i want it on the network itself.

so i can download stuff, via wi-fi. but when i go to open those same programs, it says i can't, cuz i'm not connected to the internet. :mad:

the same connection i used to download the program. o_O

thanks for the link. i'm checking it out.

D

Donald Bickers

ok, another internet proble. i'm connected thru wi-fi, cuz i can't hit my broadband. puter tell me i'm manually connected to a port.

how do i change that? or do i need to?

when i try to install stuff, or use certain features, it says i'm not connected to the internet. but i am. :mad:

sounds like a virus,,,,,the easiest way to fix is to run system restore,,restore to a date where your computer was working fine,then reboot again and see if that works,,,good luck ,let me know how that did

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
sounds like a virus,,,,,the easiest way to fix is to run system restore,,restore to a date where your computer was working fine,then reboot again and see if that works,,,good luck ,let me know how that did

it's brand new, yesterday. the old laptop is connected to the network.

but it's windows 8. total pain in the ass. :confused:

D

Donald Bickers

it's brand new, yesterday. the old laptop is connected to the network.

but it's windows 8. total pain in the ass. :confused:
hmmm I really don't know,sounds like some settings off,,,,maybe some one smarter than me needs to help,,,,,,,,Sorry

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hmmm I really don't know,sounds like some settings off,,,,maybe some one smarter than me needs to help,,,,,,,,Sorry

trying to navigate win 8 is not easy for a n00b like me. i did get a message that the broadband connection has been manually to a port.

been trying to figure out how to reverse that.

D

Donald Bickers

7 is the newest os I have,,,not familiar with 8,,,,,wish I could help but I aint goin where I don't know,
computers can be very tempramental

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn. I just dropped my mod and kayfun clone. Another broken drip tip, and the tank plastic looks like it stripped a thread and is now crooked. I'm thinking I should go to bed before I do any more damage.
Sigh. I guess it's just one of those days.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damn. I just dropped my mod and kayfun clone. Another broken drip tip, and the tank plastic looks like it stripped a thread and is now crooked. I'm thinking I should go to bed before I do any more damage.
Sigh. I guess it's just one of those days.
Damned that SUCKS!!

Sambuca

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Related not so much by birth but by miscarriage. :eek:

Win 8 was unforgivable IMO. I've since migrated my non-gaming desktops to Linux, notebooks to follow. :)

well put! ;)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I even had some time today because its so "Chilly" outside , that I made Chilli inside...LOL
Omg I need that now.
One of my favorite things about fall and winter is chili :)
Normally I'm tend to my chili a lot, stirring it every 15 minutes over the course of about 2 hours, but because of my back and legs I decided to try my hand at using a slow cooker/crock pot and that is working out great. Just brown the meat and throw all the fixin's into it, then put it on low heat for 6 hours and stir it every now and again and it turns out great.
Thinking about trying it with cubed chicken or sirloin next time to see how we like it.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
not using any plugs on any laptap. my old one is connected thru the network, my new is will only connect by w-fi mode. trying to use broadband mode.

ANY other program, other than web browsers, says i'm not connected. but it's the same connection i'm using to post now. spybot and cccleaner say i'm not connected.

oh, and it's windows 8. i hate it. :mad:

at least Kelli told me how to get my start menu back. that helps some!

Umm, I think I have an idea what you are saying, but after a day of football and beer ,I'm not much help.

Basically, you're talking about terms..forget the words for now. Broadband just means fast Internet access, there are two basic types:

Wireless AKA Wifi = Not Wired, uses radio waves and antennas.
Wired AKA Ethernet, with wires connecting stuff.

You had it working on another computer, did you setup wireless with a password and stuff?
Or,it that one plugged in like the second pic shows?

If your Internet provider set everything up for you, mebbe you should call them?

Here's the issue: Windows is dumb. It will connect to a Wired connection first always, if avaulable. If it does not find one,it will try Wireless.
When it tries to do that,it will use YOUR predefined connection first, but after that, it will use ANYTHING it can find.

Questions:

1. What sort of Internet do you have, specifically?
1a. What computers do you have online - specify laptop or desktops and how they are connected.

2. I'll assume you have either Cable Internet like Comcast, or Internet from the phone company, usually some form of DSL.

3. Most Internet providers use a modem and router combo box, like this:

An Comcast Cable combination Modem & Router - provides both wired and wireless connections.
SMCD3GNV_25547.jpg

Showing WiFi antennas for Wireless AND the ports for Wired connections.

HOW6352_image002.jpg

BTW - If you delete all of your connections, and are like my Mom and don't know the passwords, yer in trouble. ;-)

I use both wired and wireless connections here, so that is fine.

Last edited:

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Router
yTttTKu.png

Rest of what runs the entire house.
r8c7yp8.png

Pure mess this!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That stuff looks fancy sir

U-Verse from the Deathstar is nice...
He's using an 8-port switch to add additional Wired connections. Presuming here, that any Wireless would be from the U-Verse combo modem/router. :)

I have four comps hooked to Internet access atm, two wired and two wireless:

* Two wired desktop PC's are directly hooked to the modem/router's ports
* One old PC is using a USB wifi adapter for wifi connectivity
* This old lappy, using it's internal wifi adapter.

I want to eventually bridge the modem/router to make it a 'dumb' modem and then use a beefier dedicated firewall and/or router,,,but have been lazy. Still have a Smoothwall and IPcop b0xen if I need 'em

Last edited:

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have file and print share turned on? Does your home network have a specific work group name other than the default that you connect to? I would start by checking basic settings, I am sure that's all it is

adk1989

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
He's using an 8-port switch to add additional Wired connections. Presuming here, that any Wireless would be from the U-Verse combo modem/router. :)

I want to eventually bridge the modem/router to make it a 'dumb' modem and then use a beefier dedicated firewall and/or router,,,but have been lazy.
I have no freaking clue what that means

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

I want to eventually bridge the modem/router to make it a 'dumb' modem and then use a beefier dedicated firewall and/or router,,,but have been lazy. Still have a Smoothwall and IPcop b0xen if I need 'em
I also have Digital Life which controls my home security, HVAC, numerous smart switches and plugs, front and back door access...etc. Also two wireless DVRs

VU Sponsors