InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I never went to college
Don't be sad about that. I hate the way that college has become this golden egg today and that careers that don't require one have been devalued.

It is obvious that a college education would largely be a waste of money in your field. Granted at some time I'm sure some basic business and accounting classes might be helpful when you are ready to take over the family business, but otherwise you'd just be saddled with a lot of student loans that would not be beneficial to your career.

The work you do provides a very beneficial service to modern society and quite frankly we wouldn't be where we are today without the masses of people who work good jobs, sometimes hard jobs, that do not need a college education.

Unfortunately, current powers that be are pushing an equality agenda that has so much force behind it that it makes a lot of people feel like they need a college education to be a valuable member of society and frequently that they deserve it. The opportunity and access to a college education does not mean that it is appropriate for everyone to get one, just because.

It also does not mean that people who do not go to college are not smart. Whenever I hear people say this who haven't gone, I frequently ask them what they do. In your case I'm guessing that you say that you do a lot of work reading blueprints and translating them to the real world making sure that the work that your crews do take into account grades, required run-off needs, are within setbacks, and more importantly will meet up with each other where they are supposed to. While I could probably learn how to do these things with time and effort, I don't know how to do them. Does that make you smarter than me? No, it makes you more knowledgable, just like my knowledge of computer information, document and process management systems makes me more knowledgable about my field.

So, remove the sad face and remember that 4 years of a degree that you don't need isn't something to be ashamed of, it just means that you don't have 100k worth of debt for something that won't benefit you in the future.

adk1989

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't be sad about that. I hate the way that college has become this golden egg today and that careers that don't require one have been devalued.

It is obvious that a college education would largely be a waste of money in your field. Granted at some time I'm sure some basic business and accounting classes might be helpful when you are ready to take over the family business, but otherwise you'd just be saddled with a lot of student loans that would not be beneficial to your career.

The work you do provides a very beneficial service to modern society and quite frankly we wouldn't be where we are today without the masses of people who work good jobs, sometimes hard jobs, that do not need a college education.

Unfortunately, current powers that be are pushing an equality agenda that has so much force behind it that it makes a lot of people feel like they need a college education to be a valuable member of society and frequently that they deserve it. The opportunity and access to a college education does not mean that it is appropriate for everyone to get one, just because.

It also does not mean that people who do not go to college are not smart. Whenever I hear people say this who haven't gone, I frequently ask them what they do. In your case I'm guessing that you say that you do a lot of work reading blueprints and translating them to the real world making sure that the work that your crews do take into account grades, required run-off needs, are within setbacks, and more importantly will meet up with each other where they are supposed to. While I could probably learn how to do these things with time and effort, I don't know how to do them. Does that make you smarter than me? No, it makes you more knowledgable, just like my knowledge of computer information, document and process management systems makes me more knowledgable about my field.

So, remove the sad face and remember that 4 years of a degree that you don't need isn't something to be ashamed of, it just means that you don't have 100k worth of debt for something that won't benefit you in the future.
Well thank you sir...and you're description of my job isn't very far off at all...and yea...computers and me...no go lol...I cam barely use my smart phone ha ha...I'd be happy with one if those old Nokia phones.

By the way, I have actually had someone pull up next to me on a job site and ask me if my job made me wish I went to college.

I ended up have this conversation with the man

Man: I bet doing this job makes you wish you went to college.

Me: No sir, not at all, why?

Man: I don't understand how you could like such a mundane job.

Me: actually I love my job. I like to work with me hands. That Walmart you just walked out of do you remember the concrete floor you walked on?

Man: well yes...

me: well I poured over 10000 square feet of concrete with a deviation of less than 1/16 of an inch across the pad. Did you happen to use the bathroom and wash your hands? Maybe even drive on this parking lot with your car?

Man: yes (he had a bit of a discouraged look on his face at this point)

Me: well sir when you take all of those things for granted. Remeber, when your water comes on or your toilet flushes or anything else in your life that you consider to be "mundane" or below you. Remeber, there was once a man like me who looked at an empty field, and using his hands and brains, turned it into the store you just walked our of.

Man: have a nice day sir

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching Colts VS Giants...need foooood...

Made a nice Blue Cheese burger with chopped onions and seranno chile right in the patty.

I added a shot of Worcestershire and S&P to the meat. Hand-formed the patty like I learned from watching Hubert Keller: thicker edges and a center depression helps it cook evenly. :)

Kaiser roll with a mild "burger sauce" of Bacon Ranch + Sambal Olek.
Other side got slathered with Buffalo brand Chipotle sauce. It goes nicely with burgers and add a nice smokiness that compliments the sharpness of the cheese.

Cooking time!
I used my old Calphalon 8" pan. It's super-heavy aluminum with an enameled exterior and a "pebbled" non-stick surface that is excellent for searing meats.

Blue cheese of win.

I used very thin strips of pepperjack to provide a bit of extra anchoring and melty-ness to the Blue.
I also don't want to overly heat the Blue and destroy the nice and free Penicillin from Nature. ;)

Mmmm....I'm content.
I managed to mangle the bun a bit cutting it, but it eats just as well. ;-)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Current setup.. 2 DSL lines through bridged modems into a load balancing router out to a 8 port gigabit switch and wired to Xbox.. switch to main pc (below it), NAS, and wifi router..

J52NBDO.jpg

Nice setup. :)

Bummer about the ADSL, you can't get VDSL there?
Err..wait, you said DSLAM, so you'r rural? That would explain a lot. If it's not fiber-fed, yer SOL.

My old apt. I had, I was 1400' from a CO and got the 7/896 ADSL. But, now I'm in an area that can conceivably get 50M VDSL.
I like my stable 15/5 though, it's just about right for the price...don't really need faster.

Currently using a single older model Actiontec Q1000 modem/router I got for $20 on CL...yeah, I'm lazy. I also have a NIB C1000 just in case. ;)

P1020803.JPG

FWIW, It's lying on it's top because the idiot designers put the vents on the bottom.
Duuhh...heat rises and if set the normal way, it'll cook the weak capacitors causing erratic performance and eventually failures. Used an old rice cooker tray to allow ventilation on the "bottom". Even in 90F+ temps and lightning storms, it's never failed yet. :)

(I like the older model better because I can access some Advanced Settings that the newer firmware one doesn't have. ISP's don't want customers having any control..*snort*)

Last edited:

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, centered? Or more to the left? Radiate to the back?

I ask 'cause for years the wife thought she had female troubles, specifically endometriosis, and had test after test, exploritory after exploitory, and even an ablasion and an ovary removed, only to almost die when a diverticuli popped on an artery on her colon! :eek: She spent 10 days in ICU and a year recovering. :( She had had several colonoscopies and the fucking ass of a doc said every thing was alright :mad: Turns out she has had infected diverticulitis FOR YEARS. It gave her severe lower abdominal pain that radiated to her back, pain during sex, couldnt wear jeans, etc.

Something to look out for..
No it's on my front left and right side specifically and I usually only have pain there when I have ovarian cysts, am ovulating, or menstruating. I've had irregular/painful periods my entire life. Was on birth control up until 5 years ago. Its when I stopped taking the pills the real problem started. I went three years with no period. As soon as they put me back on birth control like I asked them to I got a normal period. However every 6 months or so I get painful cysts. They put me into a medically induced menopausal state to see if that helps with pain and keeps new cysts from forming. The problem is the cysts I already had are growing.

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So, centered? Or more to the left? Radiate to the back?

I ask 'cause for years the wife thought she had female troubles, specifically endometriosis, and had test after test, exploritory after exploitory, and even an ablasion and an ovary removed, only to almost die when a diverticuli popped on an artery on her colon! :eek: She spent 10 days in ICU and a year recovering. :( She had had several colonoscopies and the fucking ass of a doc said every thing was alright :mad: Turns out she has had infected diverticulitis FOR YEARS. It gave her severe lower abdominal pain that radiated to her back, pain during sex, couldnt wear jeans, etc.

Something to look out for..
That does sound similar to what I am going through however

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Made a nice Blue Cheese burger with chopped onions and seranno chile right in the patty.

I added a shot of Worcestershire and S&P to the meat. Hand-formed the patty like I learned from watching Hubert Keller: thicker edges and a center depression helps it cook evenly. :)

Other side got slathered with Buffalo brand Chipotle sauce. It goes nicely with burgers and add a nice smokiness that compliments the sharpness of the cheese.

Cooking time!
I used my old Calphalon 8" pan. It's super-heavy aluminum with an enameled exterior and a "pebbled" non-stick surface that is excellent for searing meats.

Blue cheese of win.

I used very thin strips of pepperjack to provide a bit of extra anchoring and melty-ness to the Blue.
I also don't want to overly heat the Blue and destroy the nice and free Penicillin from Nature. ;)

Mmmm....I'm content.

Watching game as well....that burger looks so delicious...I need to make a ultimate hoagie or something soon

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Watching game as well....that burger looks so delicious...I need to make a ultimate hoagie or something soon

Thanks! I certainly enjoyed it. :)

Weird game though.
Nearly everyone figured the Giants would crush the Colts, but at 13-3 with the Colts ahead just before the half, it ain't happening yet. :-/

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Really tough to say how this will end...I am a Bronco fan so I want the Giants to win! Ultimately I want Broncos to rematch with your team :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Really tough to say how this will end...I am a Bronco fan so I want the Giants to win! Ultimately I want Broncos to rematch with your team :)

Heheh. Well, that doesn't look likely at this point....37-10 Colts towards the end of the 3rd. Ouch...

I got bored, so ended up doing some shopping....I'll blame the Giants. ;-p

Got some stuff that I've waited for the prices to come down on....shipped from USA too.

focal-order-11-3-2014.png

I'd saved up a little cash and saved $$ on electric bills this month, so why not? :)
(Yes, I tried the VJ code, didn't work. Not gonna argue over a few bucks.)

I also picked up some more much-needed Samsung 25R batteries, two for $17 shipped with a free case.

I'm good to go for this month... =)

Last edited:

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah...it's over :confused:
That dna 30 is what I use, in fact I have a brand new red one I have not even opened yet, serves as backup I guess lol

Electric bill is the joke around my house...I could have bought a new car with the bill I paid all summer long...Now I refuse to let them turn it on, I am really determined to freeze them...I mean cut that bill way down :)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yeah...it's over :confused:
That dna 30 is what I use, in fact I have a brand new red one I have not even opened yet, serves as backup I guess lol

Electric bill is the joke around my house...I could have bought a new car with the bill I paid all summer long...Now I refuse to let them turn it on, I am really determined to freeze them...I mean cut that bill way down :)

Yeah, it's my first "dna" type device, should be fun to play with. I waited until the 30W was the same price as the old 20, plus in a color I wanted and shipped from the USA.
Looks like they got the batt terminals on the right wires this time..lol! ;-)

I love my Fogger v4, so figured the Orchid v4 should be really fun too. Can't beat the prices.

Ha..heating...everything is electric here..1970's Apt. of Arrrgh.

I have two huge baseboards in a cavernous living room that I don't use. Thermostat never actually turns off either...so I found and cut off the breaker that powers it. Voila: free money saved. Like $25/mo just in vampire electric compared to last year.

I get enough residual heat from the downstairs apartments to keep the LR from being actually cold, so its fine.

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Err..wait, you said DSLAM, so you'r rural? That would explain a lot. If it's not fiber-fed, yer SOL.

My old apt. I had, I was 1400' from a CO and got the 7/896 ADSL. But, now I'm in an area that can conceivably get 50M VDSL.
I like my stable 15/5 though, it's just about right for the price...don't really need faster.

Currently using a single older model Actiontec Q1000 modem/router I got for $20 on CL...yeah, I'm lazy. I also have a NIB C1000 just in case. ;)

View attachment 8395

FWIW, It's lying on it's top because the idiot designers put the vents on the bottom.
Duuhh...heat rises and if set the normal way, it'll cook the weak capacitors causing erratic performance and eventually failures. Used an old rice cooker tray to allow ventilation on the "bottom". Even in 90F+ temps and lightning storms, it's never failed yet. :)

(I like the older model better because I can access some Advanced Settings that the newer firmware one doesn't have. ISP's don't want customers having any control..*snort*)
Ya.. ADSL2+.. The DSLAMs are fiber fed, and I'm told we could go 12mb (14.2 actual) with the current setup in there, but they absolutely refuse to increase it. So, I am stuck at 8mb (9.2 actual) while paying the same everyone else is for 10 and 12.. :mad:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ya.. ADSL2+.. The DSLAMs are fiber fed, and I'm told we could go 12mb (14.2 actual) with the current setup in there, but they absolutely refuse to increase it. So, I am stuck at 8mb (9.2 actual) while paying the same everyone else is for 10 and 12.. :mad:

Bah, I hate their ideas. Sure, ya can get 12 down, but with ADSL upload limits...pah!

You on CL too?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That does sound similar to what I am going through however
Ya.. She went through it all too.. Thought she had cysts, then endo..

Have you been biopsied for endo?

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bah, I hate their ideas. Sure, ya can get 12 down, but with ADSL upload limits...pah!

You on CL too?
Yessir.. friggin Centurylink.

And yes, the up limit sux bad.. one of the reasons I went dual dsl.. 896k really limits Xbox play ;)

Midniteoyl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

You on CL too?
The ONLY thing I actually like about CL is the lack of enforcing the 250GB 'rule' ;)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's not a picture of my belly button.
Just maybe what mine might look like after the surgery.
Gots a hernia that needs repaired.:confused:

Sorry if I made you think that was a pic of my bellee.
Didn't think about that when I posted

Ahhh, I gotcha. Still, sounds like Owwwww though. :(

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Lewis Hamilton is the greatest driver on planet earth.......just throwing that out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I gave a seminar tonight. Several people that I know saw me in my habit for the first time. Rather amusing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well thank you sir...and you're description of my job isn't very far off at all...and yea...computers and me...no go lol...I cam barely use my smart phone ha ha...I'd be happy with one if those old Nokia phones.

By the way, I have actually had someone pull up next to me on a job site and ask me if my job made me wish I went to college.

Me: actually I love my job. I like to work with me hands. That Walmart you just walked out of do you remember the concrete floor you walked on?

me: well I poured over 10000 square feet of concrete with a deviation of less than 1/16 of an inch across the pad. Did you happen to use the bathroom and wash your hands? Maybe even drive on this parking lot with your car?

Me: well sir when you take all of those things for granted. Remeber, when your water comes on or your toilet flushes or anything else in your life that you consider to be "mundane" or below you. Remeber, there was once a man like me who looked at an empty field, and using his hands and brains, turned it into the store you just walked our of.

Nicely done and said! Hope that it actually changed his outlook versus just pissing him off and using it as a way to complain about something all day.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Cooking time!

Blue cheese of win.

Mmmm....I'm content.

Okay, now this one sounds simply yummy. I use worschire sauce in all my homemade burgers, and love pepperjack and the nice pungent flavor of blue cheese softenend on a burger as well as steak. Top that off with some sauteed green peppers and onions and I'd be really happy, and full :)

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 8395

Okay guys, you all are taking internet porn to a whole new level...

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Have a good night CaFF.

I better get to bed. Gonna be a long day for me tomorrowo_O
Take it easy, if the hernia is in your groin, the recovery is really painful for at least a week because of how central that whole region is to changing positions and walking. Not nearly as bad as back surgery, but definitely a close second.

InMyImage

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Last night during Kentucky Josh's show on vapers.tv, @myninjavapor had a coupon for 50% off his e-liquids at myninjavapor.com.

I ended up getting 10 12ml bottles with an extra shot of flavor for $27.50 with first class shipping.

I have not tried these before but I don't know how long the coupon code "new" will be good for so I thought I'd pass it along.

These are "Max VG" liquids.

Bill

cherrycakes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I DID go to college and I still clean bathrooms.

Just Me

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Good Morning Peeps!!! @Fishee Good luck to you prayers and thoughts are with you!! @cherrycakes I hope everything gets better soon! @adk1989 Good job telling that guy what what!! Also I never went to college actually dropped out of High school to help my mom with my younger brother and sisters (there is 7 of us) Life experience got me to the position I hold now that and lots of reading. @InMyImage LOL being called a couger is NOT a cute thing either is being called a MILF. My middle son actually got suspended when his friend (not knowing I was his mom) called me that.
On another note I actually had all 3 of my boys over for dinner last night... I kinda miss that

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi all. Pretty quiet in here today. Good luck today Fishee and Cherry. I'm kinda stuck home today waiting on deliveries I have to sign for and just working a bit. So far nice and quiet and calm.

VU Sponsors