Alternate Universe

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm also considering it's probably heavy enough to deal with the other Orchid I'm getting from the contest.
Most my mods just would be silly or unsafe with that hunk of metal on 'em. Really tired of bottom buttons too.
It is quite stable....more-so than most of the regulated boxes out there.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It is quite stable....more-so than most of the regulated boxes out there.

Well, honestly, I really doubt that I'd ever find a wood & brass mod for less that didn't suck horribly.

If I don't get this, it's like $35 on FT, but not sure how much I trust them not to change manufacturers.

For me, $30 is a fairly big purchase. So, I just like the idea of hashing it out with folks who know more about 'em than I. :)

I'll sleep on it though...see what happens.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, honestly, I really doubt that I'd ever find a wood & brass mod for less that didn't suck horribly.

For me, $30 is a big purchase. So, I just like the idea of hashing it out with folks who know more about 'em. :)
Let me put it this way....I paid $49 and STILL feel it was worth that. I really think you will be quite happy with it....the thing is as solid as they come, and the wood is NOT shit. The authentic has Kamagong wood .....and whilst it is pretty and has a granite tight grain and durability...it is VERY prone to swelling and shrinking. I have a Kamagong Classique and almost cannae remove the door! It will be permanently fused to the box if I don't get it a wee shaved on the top edge before summer.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Let me put it this way....I paid $49 and STILL feel it was worth that. I really think you will be quite happy with it....the thing is as solid as they come, and the wood is NOT shit. The authentic has Kamagong wood .....and whilst it is pretty and has a granite tight grain and durability...it is VERY prone to swelling and shrinking. I have a Kamagong Classique and almost cannae remove the door! It will be permanently fused to the box if I don't get it a wee shaved on the top edge before summer.

Dang...

I've seen similar wood at a local lumber place...Ironwood of a sort, isn't it?

No clue as to what this clone is made of, but likely some Chinese hardwood. Peeps say it's lighter and more grained than the Auth.

A user pic:

2957WR8.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
There is more grain...but smooth to the touch and solid hardwood.
This is one of the prettier patterns of Kamagong (Philippine Ironwood) on my Classique.
teJdQXN.png

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
What I really like is the Black Palm on my "Duke". Back side of the door is raw.....left is the lacquered exteriour.
fJ9Y1tJ.png

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nighterz Whis, TC! :)

I think I need a nap too.
Tiki's lying on the bed staring at me like, "hey hooman, c'mere".
Tis always a good time for a wee kip!

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What I really like is the Black Palm on my "Duke". Back side of the door is raw.....left is the lacquered exteriour.
fJ9Y1tJ.png

Nice!

So many pretty woods....Cocobolo is still a fave.
I miss my pool cue that was made of that stuff...so heavy and purdy.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Nice!

So many pretty woods....Cocobolo is still a fave.
I miss my pool cue that was made of that stuff...so heavy and purdy.
Funny you mention Cocobolo....my other box guy is making me a triple 18650 prototype in that wood. Situations have arisen quite recently that cause me to probably pass on it.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Funny you mention Cocobolo....my other box guy is making me a triple 18650 prototype in that wood. Not sure I will buy it due to 200w being unusable to me...and the size.

Stuff is heavy too..

Here is my cue from 2010..

S6306869.JPG S6306886.JPG

That's solid Colobolo except for the maple shaft and whatever wood that screw was. Nobody knew, but it was nearly orange and hard as fuck. Brass weights were nice too.

Definitely vintage as the case was real leather and made in Japan. No brand or labels on the cue, just one inlaid dot on the butt. My guess is, it was bespoke.

I miss that thing. :(

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One more for the road... ;)

S6306878.JPG

Not the most expensive cue I ever owned, but one of the most fun and beautiful in an understated way.
One of the hardest hitting cue I've ever had too. Perfect dime hard leather tip on that thing.. ;)

Take care Franci...I appreciate the feedback on the mod. :)

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I found out what a Reindeer mechanic does this year. Parties down here in Texas. His Sleigh landed on my van.:oops: Wanted a "sun roof" any way. :cool:

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
4AM. At work. Nothing to do.

Why did i even bother?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have mine built at .5ohms on the W deck. I use mine on a single 18650 unregulated box....so the average wattage is around 30

Cruel-Phate

Just Thomas
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have mine built at .5ohms on the W deck. I use mine on a single 18650 unregulated box....so the average wattage is around 30

That's not bad....sweet spot when dripping for me is usually .8ohms, so not sure on a tank, I never go that low :D I admit, I coughed up a lung and had to close up some of that air :(

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
That's not bad....sweet spot when dripping for me is usually .8ohms, so not sure on a tank, I never go that low :D I admit, I coughed up a lung and had to close up some of that air :(
You become accustomed to that...it wears off. I build my Orchids @ .17ohms

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Truthful question. Does anybody miss smoking? I can stand next to someone smoking and I could care less. Just wondering.
Not sure that I so much "miss" smoking.....it is just a habit that I feel I have not fully conquered yet.

D

Donald Bickers

I dont miss smoking at all,i tried a cig the day i got my(bad ass)900mah/CE4 combo,and i almost threw up it tasted so nasty,i got my first rig and never finished the pak of cigs i had open,its been about 2 1/2 years,,the way these devices have progressed in that time is astounding,i could never go back and rely on that ce4 to work for me now,but it did the trick when i needed it to,,,,,,,,,i also had my mind set on quitting cigs,if you dont want to quit,your not gonna quit
So go ahead and call me a quitter,i earned it and am very proud of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

VU Sponsors