Become a Patron!

Basic MOSFET wiring

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice post @VapeTechnologies Lot of good info there. Sounds like maybe the mini tactile switches are not the best ones for you. Always the 12mm switches out there. The 16 and 19 mm take a LOT of work to get in a G box...

On my builds with the tactile switches, I complete the whole box, with sled and switch epoxied, and the last 2 solders I make are on the switch, after everything is secure in box

Last edited:

VapeTechnologies

VapeTechnologies LLC Advanced Custom Boxes
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Lot of good info there. Sounds like maybe the mini tactile switches are not the best ones for you.

Man f**k those things LMAO!! They caused me so much stress and then in the end I fused the one I did manage to get in! They are awesome little switches and I love the look and feel but wtf, broke 2 not knowing how fragile they were and then burnt out this one at .2ohms. It takes a lot to stress me out but those tact switches had me over the edge. Those switches ain't for me, damn right about that. Perhaps if I went with the technique you just mentioned but I doubt I'll be buying any more for a while. If I'm going to be spending a whole day on one component I'd rather be engraving or doing something cosmetic, something I know my way around. The tact switches are awesome but not for the ADHD crowd lol.. got some LED anti-vandal's coming in this week. 1590B boxes are a breeze but these g-boxes are a whole 'nother ball game. And with the tact switches, nope, not my cup of tea.

Speaking of the B-boxes, I forgot to post the purple/pink one I was just finishing up when I first joined this thread. Here's the finished product, for the wife of course! She's been vaping on it exclusively all week ;)

tP4gTSC.jpg

q2ZMZMr.jpg

oDJNwDc.jpg

Happy Easter...

UwbENDP.jpg

On a side note, I just ran a google search on the woman @Oggy mentioned, mamu. WOW that woman has got some skills! Looked at a bunch of her old posts on that other forum I've got one post on from like 2 years ago.. yea that place was no fun. I'm actually not a big fan of forums in general because of all the superiority bulls**t but I felt nice and cozy here. Then I found this specific thread and felt the vibe and nondiscriminatory attitudes here so now here I am. I think the last time I was actually "active" on a forum was before Obama was president lol

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Some observations on the Hammond clone boxes.

I recently purchased 2 Hammond clone boxes from China. 1, 1590G, and 1, 1590A box. Think i got them off 2 different sources from China. The 1590G seemed just a hair thinner than the Hammond box, same amount of lean, good finish. It took a hydrodip perfect.

There were was some notable differences in the 1590a box. Looks like they took a belt sander to all the outside surfaces of the box, of coarse they didn't take out all the lean, but they did take out most of it. There were a few very small pit marks. The counter sink for the screws are the wrong size for the smaller screws. LOL. No big deal cause I will put 1/4" magnets in those. The inside of the box where the screw holes are, there is about a 1/8" gap from the lip of box, to the screw boss. Again wont effect anything much, just different than the Hammond.

Overall I would for sure buy the G and the A box again. Im not super picky with my stuff, but if you are, stick with the Hammonds.

Here is some pics of the A box. The clone G box was the hydrodip box I posted earlier in thread.

1590a 2.jpg

1590a 1.jpg

Last edited:

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@VapeTechnologies I really like that purple/pink box, even if it does have the wrong switch :eek: LOL... J/K

Oh c'mon man lol I'm already depressed enough over the damn thing. Keep it up and you just might give me the motivation needed to make it happen! Just got a nice little pile of mail with a few more of these bad boys.. we'll call them "practice" for now....
1590Gbox (5).jpg

So here's what my plan is with the distraught granny smith green box. Ripped out the tact switch that I fried and looked at the room I had inside the box with the existing wiring. I really don't want to rip out the sled and mosfet because there's epoxy holding it all in and I don't want to break any soldered connections so I had a little brainstorm session. But first, the hole where the tact switch was... we'll just call it a "vent" now I guess, since this purple grommet for a tattoo needle fit ever so perfectly in that hole.... And I've always liked the purple on green color combo. Wish I could find a purple LED anti-vandal switch...
1590Gbox (2).jpg

An anti-vandal will not fit up there so there's not much else I could do, unless I wanted to try another tact switch but I'm not going there.... yet. I'll come back to the tact switches after I get a little more experience with g-boxes.

1590Gbox (3).jpg

Battery sled was a little loose at the bottom so I threw in a tiny bit of epoxy back there and clamped it down overnight. I'm just now realizing that I probably ruined my little omega rubber stamp because that's the first thing I grabbed to help me clamp it down. Now that I'm looking at these pics I'm like damn, that WAS a nice stamp lol.. It's probably going to look a little deformed now though..

Anyways, odd place for a switch hu? That's the only place I can find a little room but I kind of like it because when I hold the g-boxes, that's where my fingers lay, So I think it just might work out rather well. It's a sacrifice but hey, we live and we learn right? You can see when I hold this box, my 3rd finger down is right where the new switch is going.

1590Gbox (4).jpg

LED anti-vandal switches should be here tomorrow and we'll see how it goes.

On a side note, if you run a google search for "mosfet box mod" this thread is right at the top of the search results. I thought that was pretty cool and figured I'd share that.

Thanks for that run-down on the Chammond boxes @Wabah58 ! (Chinese Hammond) China's machining is so confusing sometimes. When I get a clone and authentic of the same device I always sit there and wonder how come the machining is preformed so differently but we got to remember, in China, they don't sentence people to sit and rot in a jail cell like they do here, they sentence people to labor (pretty smart in my opinion) They make use of their convicts. So it makes sense that they might belt sand every box individually. They've got TONS of free labor out there. People are always talking about child slave labor in China, but I disagree. I'm sure it happens in the underground, but for the most part it's all free labor by convicts. The child slave labor sounds like a smear campaign or propaganda to try and get people to buy American made goods. It is what it is though. Can't really touch on that subject any more without getting into politics. And I don't want to get into politics lol..

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes Mamu. I couldn't think of her name.

Im in a 3d print group and I see Mamu is doing a lot of stuff with her 3d printer now too. No doubt she will be coming out with something spectacular.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Im in a 3d print group......

I've noticed so much potential with 3D printers in the modding scene but the material... it warps so easily with just a small amount of heat. Are there different materials that can be used in 3D printers that could maybe take heat a little better? I mean, I warped one of my first sleds just from the clips still being a little warm after soldering. I'd imagine if the box is heating up from low ohms all the time bad stuff might happen. But IDK, maybe there's different materials to use? I'm not too informed on the 3D printers but I've had my eye on one ever since the prices have gone down to under 300 bucks.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've noticed so much potential with 3D printers in the modding scene but the material... it warps so easily with just a small amount of heat. Are there different materials that can be used in 3D printers that could maybe take heat a little better? I mean, I warped one of my first sleds just from the clips still being a little warm after soldering. I'd imagine if the box is heating up from low ohms all the time bad stuff might happen. But IDK, maybe there's different materials to use? I'm not too informed on the 3D printers but I've had my eye on one ever since the prices have gone down to under 300 bucks.

Yes the 3d stuff is heat sensitive, Pla has the lowest melting point, but is strong. Abs has a LITTLE higher melting point, but isn't as strong as pla. I've seen a few other materials used from 3d but seems real flexible. By far the strongest is the Keystones. (extruded) Fasttech also sells a strong sled but both take work and more space for g box and smaller applications. IMO keystones are the strongest and wont melt.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Won't have any trouble firing that switch. Poor mini tactile switch gets no love :(

lol actually... I've got a confession to make....

tactSwitch.png
I know I said I wasn't gonna do it, but I hate feeling like a quitter. Heck who knows, they say 3rd times the charm right? I'll just have to manage my stress level a little better this time around ;)

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That is one bad ass machine. I like it a lot. I bet the quad capacity would serve you just right working the 10hr night shifts. Imagine not having to change batteries for a full shift? I gotta take a pocket full of 650's just taking a trip to the store lol!!

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I want that with an SX chip in it. Where can I find these @Wabah58

Don't think he is selling them. People are asking him for the stl file for print on it, but as of today he isn't giving that yet :( Mamu is doing some freakin awesome mods now on her printer using that basic design. I think she started that type first to be honest, and she has said she wont be giving out her stl files :( Lot of people are giving them out though. As soon as that guy comes around to putting that file out or somebody starts making one I will post here.

We need to find a guy that will print for us with out raping on price. Tony seems just to want to stick to sleds, and he is trying to make a income which you can't blame him.

These mods are also using some more expensive filament than abs and pla. Lot of them are using a wood fill type of filament.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Don't think he is selling them. People are asking him for the stl file for print on it, but as of today he isn't giving that yet :( Mamu is doing some freakin awesome mods now on her printer using that basic design. I think she started that type first to be honest, and she has said she wont be giving out her stl files :( Lot of people are giving them out though. As soon as that guy comes around to putting that file out or somebody starts making one I will post here.

We need to find a guy that will print for us with out raping on price. Tony seems just to want to stick to sleds, and he is trying to make a income which you can't blame him.

These mods are also using some more expensive filament than abs and pla. Lot of them are using a wood fill type of filament.

Man, wish you lived closer. We could just go in on a 3D printer, they're down to $300 now. So 400 would get a decent one I bet. 2 hundred bucks a piece and we'd make that back on the first run.

I've been eyeing the 3D printers, but I don't want to go into it alone, I don't know enough about them yet. Plus something like that would take a lot of trust, and it's hard to trust anyone you can't shake hands with. I learned that lesson dealing with China lol...

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man, wish you lived closer. We could just go in on a 3D printer, they're down to $300 now. So 400 would get a decent one I bet. 2 hundred bucks a piece and we'd make that back on the first run.

I've been eyeing the 3D printers, but I don't want to go into it alone, I don't know enough about them yet. Plus something like that would take a lot of trust, and it's hard to trust anyone you can't shake hands with. I learned that lesson dealing with China lol...

Yeah that would be awesome, Im a older guy and have learned my limitations. :p The programming aspect of it would be way too much for my limited brain power. There are a lot of files I have access to though with tons of box mod files. So that is good if any of our friends have a 3d printer it might not be too bad since the stl files are out there.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know why my pics keep uploading sideways, even though I rotate them to the correct position in windows but some will still upload sideways. Anyone know why that happens?

Anyhow, here's the latest. I'm going to try the tact switch one more time since @Wabah58 keeps on giving me shit about breaking the first 3 tact switches I tried to tackle...
20150331_152904[1].jpg

I want to paint the box white with the pink carbon fiber decals over white paint, but the wife says to paint it black.. I'm really liking the pink on white theme but the box is going to her so maybe I should listen to her. I'm not a very good listener...

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. 10,000+ mAh. That's a Marathon Man. One question:

IsitSafe.jpg

;):D

Honestly when I saw that box, safety wasn't even in the thought process. :p I just peeped it again and MAN THAT THING IS FREAKIN AWESOME, I sooo want :( I'd be willing to throw out "Safe and sane" for "Dumb and dangerous" if I could get my hands on one..

@TheWestPole Hey man, justthink of all the cool stuff you could do if you had a 3d printer. wink wink nudge nudge...:rolleyes:

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know why my pics keep uploading sideways, even though I rotate them to the correct position in windows but some will still upload sideways. Anyone know why that happens?

Anyhow, here's the latest. I'm going to try the tact switch one more time since @Wabah58 keeps on giving me shit about breaking the first 3 tact switches I tried to tackle...
View attachment 18066

I want to paint the box white with the pink carbon fiber decals over white paint, but the wife says to paint it black.. I'm really liking the pink on white theme but the box is going to her so maybe I should listen to her. I'm not a very good listener...

LOL, oh man just pulling your chain, use what works best for you. Lot of people despise those tactile switches. I have everything soldered on sled and fet, and 510, epoxy switch in, then when everything is in box, then i solder the last 2 points on switch.

I like that sled, looks sturdy and will be able to hide the fet.

Can you share the link to that sled in group?

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know you're just messing around man, I can take criticism just as well as I can take jokes. In fact, I welcome criticism with open arms because that's how we grow.

I'm going to try the technique you just mentioned, thanks again!

edit- let me get that link for you, when I bought it he only had pink and purple in stock

edit #2- I hate doing this only because I was talking with the guy who makes them and I'm just going to say it.. I'm not a fan of badmouthing but he's a dick man. I complemented him on his work and he responded with a real arrogant attitude and assumed I was someone I'm not. Talking to me like I don't even know what 2+2 equals. I get offended when people act all high and mighty. I think he was just mad because my soldering job was better than his. I hope he sees this too.. But yea, here's the item number (item ID) on ebay- 281634059919

Last edited:

TheWestPole

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Honestly when I saw that box, safety wasn't even in the thought process. :p I just peeped it again and MAN THAT THING IS FREAKIN AWESOME, I sooo want :( I'd be willing to throw out "Safe and sane" for "Dumb and dangerous" if I could get my hands on one..

@TheWestPole Hey man, justthink of all the cool stuff you could do if you had a 3d printer. wink wink nudge nudge...:rolleyes:

I was joking, @Wabah58. It's awesome.

My current shopping list: mini lathe, mini mill, 3-D printer, probably in that order, because atty work comes first. ~$3k should cover it, but one at a time. :)

Last edited:

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Would you say stranded or solid is easier to solder?
Definitely stranded is easier, you've gotta heat up your wire with the soldering iron and the solder will "wick" right into the strands. Otherwise, if the wire is not heated up the solder will just bead up on the surface and won't stick. Pre-solder (pre-tin) you wire ends before attaching anything..

This is an ugly sled I did early on but the only example pic I can find on the computer that I'm on right now, but look at the end of the wire, see how the solder "wicks" into the strands, you've gotta get that wire very hot, all the while trying not to melt the wire sleeve/insulator.

20150318_130700[1].jpg

Definitely stranded is easier, you've gotta heat up your wire with the soldering iron and the solder will "wick" right into the strands. Otherwise, if the wire is not heated up the solder will just bead up on the surface and won't stick. Pre-solder (pre-tin) you wire ends before attaching anything..

This is an ugly sled I did early on but the only example pic I can find on the computer that I'm on right now, but look at the end of the wire, see how the solder "wicks" into the strands, you've gotta get that wire very hot, all the while trying not to melt the wire sleeve/insulator.

View attachment 18140

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I threw the business card in this pic just for you @Wabah58 ;)

He's only got purple ones up on the bay, but he told me there's more options on his site. I haven't gone to his site though, I like to get my DIY parts from "DIY hard vaper" because he's a good dude, friendly, and prices are legit.

20150401_113659[1].jpg

I only got the sled from vapor house, everything else comes from my pal "DIY hard vaper"

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I threw the business card in this pic just for you @Wabah58 ;)

He's only got purple ones up on the bay, but he told me there's more options on his site. I haven't gone to his site though, I like to get my DIY parts from "DIY hard vaper" because he's a good dude, friendly, and prices are legit.

View attachment 18152

I only got the sled from vapor house, everything else comes from my pal "DIY hard vaper"

I think I used DIY hard vaper once, no problems. I also used Stearnsy, he is a real good guy too.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've seen stearnsy on there, I think I got a few switches from him. Or maybe I was just looking at them.

Here's the latest anyways... soon as the pics upload

Last edited:

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
They look very nice. Thanks @Wabah58 I'm coppin' 2 of the low pro's right now. I'll certainly report back with some pics and all that good stuff. I'll go ahead and drop your name too when I buy from him like I did with Tony. When I first started doing business with Tony I dropped your name in terms of "who sent me here" and he spoke highly of you, something along the lines of "Oh yea wabah's a good dude, I talk to him a lot" And that's before I even knew you were a moderator over there.

Anyhow, here's a few updates.. the pics I was trying to upload earlier when the site was bugging out.

VapeTech710 (5).jpg

VapeTech710 (6).jpg
VapeTech710 (4).jpg

Still no success with the tact's yet..................................................... damnit.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Word is that those new switches from FatDaddy are rated over 10 amp. But he wanted to under rate them on his public website.

@VapeTechnologies looks like you're the only building right now, KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE :)

Where the hell is @Resnik ? He probably made a million dollars selling boxes and retired some where with no internet.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@VapeTechnologies looks like you're the only building right now, KEEP THE THREAD ALIVE :)

Where the hell is @Resnik ? He probably made a million dollars selling boxes and retired some where with no internet.

LMAO I've been thinking the same thing man, I was really looking forward to see how that kids stun gun mod came along.. And what about @redz22 ? Hope he didn't give up! And yes, @Resnik the one who inspired me into buying this electro-etching machine that I been waiting to use as soon as I get some toner stencils made.. (oh wait, that was suppose to be a surprise secret) @Warhawk-AVG had some great commentary helping with the electronics aspect and I enjoyed his contributions earlier in the thread. Either way, from now on when someone asks me any questions about modding boxes I'm linking them right to this thread. It's not dying, just taking a little nap ;)

I also brought a few of the blank g-boxes over to my buddy's house last night who does some sick auto body work. I wanted his opinion on the best 2-part clear coats he can get his hands on so we'll see how that goes.

I did get one of those switches of FDV last night, tempted to go at it without a FET with one of those bad boys. You seem to have found some better pics than the pics he has on his site. Were those pics you posted from his facebook or something?

Anyways, he's a stolen pic from pintrest I just couldn't help but to steal. I'd link up some proper credits but the mod maker and details seemed to be in a different language, Spain maybe? Still, one of the baddest boxes I've ever seen so I felt compelled to share. Looks good for those late nights out on the city lol!
knucklesMOD.png

Last edited:

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fat Daddy has some new switches put up on his site. Not really my cup of tea, but could be for a lot of builders out there. They look pretty nice.

View attachment 18361

View attachment 18362

Read some comments on this switch, and they aren't too happy with them. People complaining about the spring action feels worse that the clone tube mods, the wire holes are very shallow to the corners of the outside casing, and holes wont fit 14 ga

fd button.jpg

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been scrolling through the thread. Haven't been on in awhile and thought I would tell how I go about mounting my tact switches. Drill a 13/64" hole and just press them into place( I use needle nose pliers) never had one come out of any of my boxes.

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey that's a nice build @Dutzy ! Mind if I ask who does your graphics?

@Wabah58 , it's really funny that you mentioned that about the switches because I just came on here to follow up with the FDV 10A low pro switch. Dude, this thing is crunchy as hell. Feels like it's insulated with cement...
BoxMods (11).jpg

As you can see, he's got his "FDV" on the back, so I guess he really did get these switches OEM manufactured, I thought they were just a rare find that he decided to put his name on. So I'll give him that, props for getting your own switches OEM manufactured Dennis, but damn dude- your a modder, a seasoned modder at that. Why would you let these enter the market with your name on them man? These switches SUCK... straight up.

Here's his switch next to our beloved 12mm anti-vandal SS for size comparison...

BoxMods (10).jpg

You can see how small the holes are for the wires. Sorry "retard G", but I don't use 30AWG speaker wire for my boxes bro...

What you can't see is how stiff, crunchy, and hard the throw is on this switch. I was planning on throwing it on a box I've been working on for my wife, but now I don't even know if I'll use it on any boxes. You need some serious lbs of pressure to depress this button. And like I said, it feels like it's insulated with gravel.

So anyways, I hate to give such a bad review to an OG, but I'm honestly surprised someone like him with an established name in the modding scene would let these switches hit the market. That's a bad move, business wise.. I'm familiar with global trade and if my suppliers sent me switches like this I'd send them right back or I'd just dump them at wholesale to recoup my losses. Sell them to the automobile industry or something and tell them straight up that they're no good for mods.

Well, here's what I've been up to..
BoxMods (8).jpg
BoxMods (13).jpg
BoxMods (1).jpg

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
View attachment 18873
My latest Pwm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that a B box? Is the design on the back or the lid? Sorry not sure if it's an optical illusion or what but I can't see the lid, looks really clean! How about under the hood? Or we keeping this PG-13?

I know.... I got a lame sense of humor ;)

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
B box got a g on the bench. Just no time to mess with right now. I also have an Okr I'm putting in an A. Haha. That's taking some patienceImageUploadedByTapatalk1429657723.743362.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429657740.411582.jpg

VapeTechnologies

VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
awesome build man, I appreciate cleanliness and that box is tidy. I'm thinking the font on my bottles of juice is the same font your graphics guy uses, very nice stuff. Good to see more builds in this thread. An OKR in an (A)box hu? yea... lemme know how that works out for ya. If you can pull that one off that'd be some serious pats on the back.

Here's a sled I just finished up last night. Gotta wait for the box to get here though.. custom powder coat job probably being done this very minute in another part of the country...

orange.jpg

orange2.jpg

orange3.jpg

Totally unrelated and a bit random, but do you happen to be a Gemini by any chance @Dutzy ?

Last edited:

Dutzy

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nice. I have a guy on FB I get my sleds from. He makes nice sleds and the ones for Gs leave plenty of room.

VU Sponsors