Become a Patron!

Batteries BLOWING UP in Beast Box 75Watt???

cloudking666

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Seen this Review, I was considering this box but I am reconsidering, I'm sure I'm not the only one who accidently put in the batteries the wrong way, but didn't mind because on reverse polarity protection. I know "just pay attention" but still. does any one have any experience with this box?

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Damned if you do, Damned if you don't. The Therion with the same configuration as plastic rings on the positive area that prevent this but people tear their battery covers (though this is avoid with minimal extra effort). Problem is that the DNA75 and DNA200 doesn't have reverse battery protection. The DNA 200 was designed for Lipo use and doesn't need it and the 75 is a derivative of that and meant for a single battery (which people are less likely to mix up). You can put a daughter card on it, but that would require more space, which is the last thing you want to do on a 75 device.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Seen this Review, I was considering this box but I am reconsidering, I'm sure I'm not the only one who accidently put in the batteries the wrong way, but didn't mind because on reverse polarity protection. I know "just pay attention" but still. does any one have any experience with this box?

Hmm, that is strange as the DNA 75 spec sheet does state reverse polarity protection. Maybe this only works properly in the case of single battery set ups?

I know the 200 does not have this protection, and I have to be careful with my Hotcig converted to work with dual 18650's.

If it is a mod you really like, I would just be very careful-hopefully someone with the box can help, sorry I can't be of more help as I don't own any dual 18650 DNA 75's.

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hmm, that is strange as the DNA 75 spec sheet does state reverse polarity protection. Maybe this only works properly in the case of single battery set ups?

I know the 200 does not have this protection, and I have to be careful with my Hotcig converted to work with dual 18650's.

If it is a mod you really like, I would just be very careful-hopefully someone with the box can help, sorry I can't be of more help as I don't own any dual 18650 DNA 75's.
Suggest or recommend because I have a feeling that LV wouldn't have gone with the protection rings if it did have it on board.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Suggest or recommend because I have a feeling that LV wouldn't have gone with the protection rings if it did have it on board.
That is very odd , there are protection rings on the DNA75( Lost vapes)? I know for the Triade there is with the DNA200, which most definitely has no reverse polarity protection, but Evolv do state here https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75.pdf in section 11 that it does have reverse polarity protection on the 75.

Very strange indeed if it does have the rings in place on the 75, and must be an error on Evolv's side regarding the Spec sheet if there is no protection at all.

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is very odd , there are protection rings on the DNA75( Lost vapes)? I know for the Triade there is with the DNA200, which most definitely has no reverse polarity protection, but Evolv do state here https://downloads.evolvapor.com/dna75.pdf in section 11 that it does have reverse polarity protection on the 75.

Very strange indeed if it does have the rings in place on the 75, and must be an error on Evolv's side regarding the Spec sheet if there is no protection at all.
Just go to the Therion thread or do search for Therions tearing battery wraps. ECF on their Therion thread on page 18 has a good shot of the right battery port and you can see the slightly raised ring around the positive contact.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just go to the Therion thread or do search for Therions tearing battery wraps. ECF on their Therion thread on page 18 has a good shot of the right battery port and you can see the slightly raised ring around the positive contact.
Very strange-maybe they just use the same housing as the DNA200 (133) versions to save making two? Or Evolv have made a mistake, which is possible. I only have the one DNA 75 and know more about the 200, but know reverse polarity is touted as a feature, as it is on the DNA250 too.

Just trying to think of a possible reason for this.

@Wingsfan0310 any idea?

Topweasel

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Very strange-maybe they just use the same housing as the DNA200 (133) versions to save making two? Or Evolv have made a mistake, which is possible. I only have the one DNA 75 and know more about the 200, but know reverse polarity is touted as a feature, as it is on the DNA250 too.

Just trying to think of a possible reason for this.

@Wingsfan0310 any idea?

Well it would be the other way around. The 133 is just shipping now and they seemed iffy on whether they were going to even do it till about a week before 8/8. That and from the shots I have seen they have redone the sled with Triade 250 since that does have reverse battery protection. LV Designed the Therion as a DNA75 device and the sled would be for that and not the 133/166 variations. Even if they knew they were doing a 133, they would have done two sleds. So the only working theories I have is that reverse battery protection was either a late addition to the DNA75 spec sheet and LV decided to go forward with the extra protection and that Beast just had a bad board, or if all other devices have reverse battery protection, something about the parallel configuration makes it not work and the New Beast should have installed physical protection.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well it would be the other way around. The 133 is just shipping now and they seemed iffy on whether they were going to even do it till about a week before 8/8. That and from the shots I have seen they have redone the sled with Triade 250 since that does have reverse battery protection. LV Designed the Therion as a DNA75 device and the sled would be for that and not the 133/166 variations. Even if they knew they were doing a 133, they would have done two sleds. So the only working theories I have is that reverse battery protection was either a late addition to the DNA75 spec sheet and LV decided to go forward with the extra protection and that Beast just had a bad board, or if all other devices have reverse battery protection, something about the parallel configuration makes it not work and the New Beast should have installed physical protection.

That is true, if it was designed as a DNA 75 device originally then the only explanations I can think of are the same as yours-after all if the rings could be avoided I am sure they would of as a lot of people do not like them (I myself have no issue with them on my one device that does use them).

Hi guys,
Just been looking in to this and I think I can clear things up.
The DNA 75 does have reverse polarity but not independently for each battery. So if both batteries are upside-down then you're good, no short circuit and the boards protection will work.
If they're in opposite directions, it's an instant short as the battery caddy positive and negative rails just pass the current across to the next battery.
What they should have done (from what I recently read), is use 2 15A resettable surface mount fuses, between the batteries and the point where parallel becomes series.

VU Sponsors