Become a Patron!
Hello. I'm just getting into doing my own coils and what not. Im a noobie so please bare with me. I have a general understanding of how they work. Thicker wire takes longer to heat then the thinner wire. The higher the gauge the thinner it is etc. But i have a Kanger Kbox Mini with the subtank 0.5 ohm coil. They burn out and some of them flat out just don't work. I no longer want to buy new coils because i have already spent almost 30$ replacing them in under 2 weeks. So i would like some suggestions on what the best way to go about this would be. What gauge should i get, what is the difference between the (TEMCo) wire, and since the tank/coil i have is running 0.5 sub-ohms.. what would work best for flavor and a good hit? Like i said im a noobie. Any advice would help wonders. Thanks.

Hello. I'm just getting into doing my own coils and what not. Im a noobie so please bare with me. I have a general understanding of how they work. Thicker wire takes longer to heat then the thinner wire. The higher the gauge the thinner it is etc. But i have a Kanger Kbox Mini with the subtank 0.5 ohm coil. They burn out and some of them flat out just don't work. I no longer want to buy new coils because i have already spent almost 30$ replacing them in under 2 weeks. So i would like some suggestions on what the best way to go about this would be. What gauge should i get, what is the difference between the (TEMCo) wire, and since the tank/coil i have is running 0.5 sub-ohms.. what would work best for flavor and a good hit? Like i said im a noobie. Any advice would help wonders. Thanks.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's not just the thickness of the wire that effects the reaction time, it also depends on the mass of the coil and it's length (as it heats outwards).
26AWG is good to start with.
Here is a tool to help you getting started:
http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.asp

Screw PC and I don't mean the computer.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can only tell you what works best for me.

I use 26 Kanthal at 5-6 wraps. It's a simple build, with a better flavor than the OCC coils IMO. And it last much longer. You can use the screw driver that comes with it, and do 7-8 wraps. But it's a tight fit. I like using a larger diameter with fewer wraps personally. I'm getting .6 ohms with that build.

Wicking is very important, and it will take a few tries before you get it nailed down. So don't let your first few builds discourage you.

VU Sponsors