Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Our beardie has become quite entertaining since she became aggressive. I mean aggressive as in... jumping out of her habitat at feeding time, nipping at the glass when we touch it, etc. She actually flattens out her body to slow her descent when she leaps from her habitat. We don't know if this aggression is just a phase or what yet. You know how children can be. Tiny may be a lizard, but she is still a living breathing child.

20220607_190622.jpg

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Still doing ok here, still getting used to an quiet house. I usually keep the tv or radio on low for some background noise. Pretty hot outside, staying in the 90's and 100's, and I do my errands in the early morning! Jessie is the best at keeping me entertained. I love coming here every day to check in and see what you all are up to.

Stay safe and healthy :hug::inlove:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hip surgery is happening Monday the 13th! Got new x-rays taken last week, then Monday got more pokes and prods and a chest x-ray since I'm a former smoker. Good thing this is happening sooner rather than later as I've been in more pain this week and glad I'm not in the Dakotas for work.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Rainy and generally dreary. Wife out Tue. night visiting a friend. She apparently run over something what pierced a tire. Come home on a "doughnut" not exceeding 50 mph/80.47kph. Wed. morn she took pierced tire into the shop tire/s were originally purchased, they patched it & remounted it at no charge.

I was glad she got back home safely around 23:30 local, Tue. night. Her round trip was roughly 90 miles / 144.84 km. Fuel cost here U.S. WV is running ~$4.70 USD / $4.39 EUR / $3.75 GBP per gal / 5 L. Ergo, she's not been going out to visit that friend too much lately.

Ripley to either Parkersberg, or Charleston are trips we'd rather not be doing too often. We didn't even when fuel costs were lower. Bit harder justifying/reconciling such jaunts now.

Granted she's now working in Parkersberg so needs to make that tip 5 days per week. We still don't appreciate the trips out that far due in part to fuel costs, just general upkeep/wear.

I've even sought out a local endocrinologist for my Kallman's Syndrome treatment. Fuel and running was one factor in that consideration, another was the one I had was being a jerk.

Doing as well as can be. Both of us are getting chuckles regarding this "new" "long covid" we see on the PSAs. *smh* Always yet another misery to foist on folks to profit from.

Hoping to get down to VA to visit my mom over this Summer. Boy that'll be a trip for us too. Worth it yet still a bit aggravating regarding costs, simply to travel.

Same song, different verse / we all ride in the hearse, our ideas steal our purse / being terse, guess it could be worse / ring a nurse, for my death they rehearse / living is dying, so fares our curse.

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Please be patient. I am going to whine a little bit.

The other day I chomped down on my own bottom lip while I was eating dinner. I drew blood on myself.

Two days later, I am still cringing every time vapor hits that spot on my lip. It burns. Makes me want to act out like a little kid. I want it to go away. It's worse than trying to vape when I have a bad cold.

Whine over. I do not feel better having whined. Jeez Louise.

Maybe I should hit that place with some Orajel (topical anesthetic)? That might make it feel better for all of 30 seconds. Ideas, anyone? Ideas other than "don't vape?" :xD:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Please be patient. I am going to whine a little bit.

The other day I chomped down on my own bottom lip while I was eating dinner. I drew blood on myself.

Two days later, I am still cringing every time vapor hits that spot on my lip. It burns. Makes me want to act out like a little kid. I want it to go away. It's worse than trying to vape when I have a bad cold.

Whine over. I do not feel better having whined. Jeez Louise.

Maybe I should hit that place with some Orajel (topical anesthetic)? That might make it feel better for all of 30 seconds. Ideas, anyone? Ideas other than "don't vape?" :xD:
Not much of a whine there, more like a vent.

Is it on the inhale or exhale or both that you're feeling the pain? Have you tried unflavored or no nic?

Maybe try a small drip tip in the corner of your mouth and/or exhale from the corners of your mouth or nose.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

Is it on the inhale or exhale or both that you're feeling the pain? Have you tried unflavored or no nic?

Maybe try a small drip tip in the corner of your mouth and/or exhale from the corners of your mouth or nose.

It hurts on the inhale. I will try the drip tip suggestion. Thanks!

How long are they planning to keep you in the hospital? I hope your surgery goes perfectly and you don't have much pain afterward.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

510 drip tip positioned on the opposite side helps a lot. Thank you!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got the HEPA filters in for the air purifier Wednesday. Been running it on high since. Last night was the first time I could go to bed without hacking and coughing as soon as I laid down. Still feels like alot of pressure on the diaphragm. 2 days worth of vape juice lasted a week.

We have a lady that works with a rescue working on finding a home for our pit. She is too sweet to put down, and it's not her fault I'm allergic to her.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How long are they planning to keep you in the hospital? I hope your surgery goes perfectly and you don't have much pain afterward.
It's outpatient, go in the morning get worked on then walk out in the afternoon with a walker is how it is supposed to work. Knocking on wood and doing everything to not evoke Mr. Murphy and his laws.

I saw my Priest this morning for confession, anointing of the sick, and communion. I'm getting everything covered spiritually and physically.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
83b9c64b238b66131606d4dbd87ac146.jpg

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Welcome to the new and improved GB V1.5!

I didn't get home until 3:30. I assumed my surgery would be at 7:30 based on my 5:30 arrival time, but it didn't happen until a little after 9AM. Woke up in the recovery room around 12 noon then taken to the first room I was in. Since I had an epidural I was still numb including the 'boys' who are just now waking up (TMI I know).

They gave me lunch shortly after, a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo with some sliced apples and cranapple juice. I've had worse hospital food. When the numbing subsided in my legs and I could stand on them they called my wife to pick me up. I was able to get into the car a lot easier than I could this morning! I was even able to put my right foot on the dash just using my leg muscles for elevation. No way in hell could I do that before! I'm walking around the house using a walker without much pain as well.

The most annoying thing is the wound pump. Every 30 seconds or so it will activate with a sound that will drive me crazier than normal.

Anyway I'm happy it's done and now to recuperating!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon

I didn't get home until 3:30. I assumed my surgery would be at 7:30 based on my 5:30 arrival time, but it didn't happen until a little after 9AM. Woke up in the recovery room around 12 noon then taken to the first room I was in. Since I had an epidural I was still numb including the 'boys' who are just now waking up (TMI I know).

They gave me lunch shortly after, a turkey sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo with some sliced apples and cranapple juice. I've had worse hospital food. When the numbing subsided in my legs and I could stand on them they called my wife to pick me up. I was able to get into the car a lot easier than I could this morning! I was even able to put my right foot on the dash just using my leg muscles for elevation. No way in hell could I do that before! I'm walking around the house using a walker without much pain as well.

The most annoying thing is the wound pump. Every 30 seconds or so it will activate with a sound that will drive me crazier than normal.

Fantastic news! So happy for you! :stars2:

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Yay!!! that's wonderful! Take care and sending quick healing your way.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wrong thread

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-20_14-22-21.png
    Screenshot_2022-06-20_14-22-21.png
    53.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So, I read that beardies don't like bright lighting, so I turned off the white LED lights in her habitat. It made her docile for a day. I also changed her feeding schedule: superworms in the morning, and then veggies. She always gets aggressive at superworm time. Yesterday, she didn't. Today, she didn't, but did after eating them. I question her mental health.

Polish_20220620_112543269.jpg

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
too many photos today, from 3 mile walk https://photos.app.******/JutuXW2Mjpcwp8n1A

birds were pacific gull, some bird of prey i think, fairy wren (female, the males are bright blue)

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

white bellied sea eagle, i think

pacific gull. Like the one from the little mermaid, but this is juvenile. They grow to about 2 feet, much bigger than the standard silver seagulls which are 4 inches smaller. But similar colouring in adults

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Brain damaged lizard still having mood swings. She had live food in morning, followed by romaine lettuce, which she finished. I took her bowl out and put broccoli in it. She attacked when I put that back in. Later, she was begging for attention.

20220621_153549.jpg

While typing this, she tried biting my bracelet.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It will be in the 100's for at least a week here in the San Joaquin Valley. So glad we got a new AC system this year.

Had my first post-op check up yesterday. He removed the wound vac aka fart machine so I don't have to listen to that. We called it the fart machine because my wife accused me of farting last Monday. I said nope it was just the machine doing it's thing.

Physical Therapist said I was doing well for one week after surgery. I'm not using the walker, just a cane now. He gave me exercises to do 2 to 3 times a day and one of the team will see me again Friday.

Youngest daughter is now moved into the new house! Since she is rural she is using StarLink internet from Elon Musk and her work is paying for it. My grandson finally has room to roam! Their previous house was smaller than some hotel rooms I've stayed in.

All in all things are good for the gopher clan.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Nothing really going on here, it's just hot. I stay home most of the time, just go out to pick up groceries and meds. Oh, I did run in to buy some fabric, I'm going to make so light cotton summer pants. Comfort first!

Jessie is doing well. She's always finding things to make me laugh.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
We've been busy fighting the biting bugs that got in the house. So far, the skeeters, noseeums, and mites have been eradicated. Now, we have been waging war on bed bugs that showed up since my brother finally came to visit.

He has really screwed up his life. But, enough about him. I'll be just fine.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

We have some flooding here, calling it "100 year". Waist high in a few areas! This is the high desert, we're not set up for this. Over 7" in just a few hours in some parts of the city.

I'm off to pick up my grocery order. Main streets only, just in case it rains again.

Sarah - good luck with the bed bugs! I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Stay safe and healthy :hug: :inlove:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
We've been busy fighting the biting bugs that got in the house. So far, the skeeters, noseeums, and mites have been eradicated. Now, we have been waging war on bed bugs that showed up since my brother finally came to visit.

He has really screwed up his life. But, enough about him. I'll be just fine.

I saw an episode of "Hotel Impossible" once where a crew of guys used heaters to get rid of bedbugs. The heaters increased the temp in the room to 135 degrees and they let it stay that way for six hours.

On a good hot day where you are, if you shut all the windows and turned the heat on, you could probably get it a lot hotter than 135 degrees in your house. Y'all check yourselves into a hotel for one day and night and let the house sit there and roast them little bastards out!

Sounds like it would work, to me anyway. Good luck with it!

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I saw an episode of "Hotel Impossible" once where a crew of guys used heaters to get rid of bedbugs. The heaters increased the temp in the room to 135 degrees and they let it stay that way for six hours.

On a good hot day where you are, if you shut all the windows and turned the heat on, you could probably get it a lot hotter than 135 degrees in your house. Y'all check yourselves into a hotel for one day and night and let the house sit there and roast them little bastards out!

Sounds like it would work, to me anyway. Good luck with it!
We discovered them before it got bad. The bedroom got fumigated enough that every bug in there died except for a few bed bugs. Then, we sprayed the mattress, box frame, and bed frame. Mattress, pillows, and box frame got put inside Aller-ease cases. We have no carpets. I found 2 places where eggs were laid. Those got soaked in poison. That was yesterday. This morning, I found 1 live bug, and it was on the floor.
I hope I can sleep decent tonight. The fumes got through the mask I was wearing while fumigating.

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning!

Well, the 2022 UFO Festival is now over, just the stragglers left in town. I haven't seen the figures yet but I know there were a ton of people. UFO Museum was reported to be packed with a long waiting line. Only part of it was inside with a/c, and the temps were in the high 90*s! All these people just walking around, visiting stores and vendor booths, taking selfies with people in costumes, etc. Nope, I don't like being around that many people anymore, especially now. I'm glad they had fun and we love the tourism, but I'm happy to be able to stay home.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Morning!

Well, the 2022 UFO Festival is now over, just the stragglers left in town. I haven't seen the figures yet but I know there were a ton of people. UFO Museum was reported to be packed with a long waiting line. Only part of it was inside with a/c, and the temps were in the high 90*s! All these people just walking around, visiting stores and vendor booths, taking selfies with people in costumes, etc. Nope, I don't like being around that many people anymore, especially now. I'm glad they had fun and we love the tourism, but I'm happy to be able to stay home.

I agree with you so much about being around crowds. Well before Covid, I'd go out of my way to NOT be around a bunch of people. State Fairs, Christmas Parades, Black Friday shopping, live music venues, oh no. No thank you. I'd rather do my shopping from my own living room and pay the extra money, so that I don't have to be out in all that chaos and confusion.

We finally got to meet our newest granddaughter last Saturday. Drove 3 hours each way to go to my youngest daughter's house for a visit. It was past time, but oh my, we both felt like we'd been hit by a train by the time we got home Saturday night. Was so nice to see them, though, and finally get some sugar from their beautiful, funny, sweet baby girl. There is just nothing quite as special as a new baby in the family.

Lady Sarah

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of y'all know I make stuff... knives BBQ smokers, etc. Hubby was wanting something, but could not find one anywhere, not even on the internet, except for some ugly stick with a skull painted in the colors to represent the character of Deadpool. He wanted a Deadpool walking cane.

I bought the head from the Ross department store. He bought the oak rod. We had everything else we needed.

20220706_133148.jpg

It just doesn't show the cane tip on the end, but it is there. It took one day to make. The only one of its kind.

Train

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Most of y'all know I make stuff... knives BBQ smokers, etc. Hubby was wanting something, but could not find one anywhere, not even on the internet, except for some ugly stick with a skull painted in the colors to represent the character of Deadpool. He wanted a Deadpool walking cane.

I bought the head from the Ross department store. He bought the oak rod. We had everything else we needed.

View attachment 194742

It just doesn't show the cane tip on the end, but it is there. It took one day to make. The only one of its kind.
He'll probably appreciate my Deadpool mod!
croppedredpool.jpg

VU Sponsors