Daily Check-In Thread

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
No corn on cob, but do have canned and frozen...

I usually cut fresh corn off the cob and fry/cook. Do love fresh sweet corn though.

Need to buy a bushel or so and cut off and vac seal freeze it.
Canned or frozen corn, or even fresh on the cob, toss a teaspoon of sugar in the water :) So good!

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Back home from Idaho for the weekend. Restaurants are open there so I can sit down and eat and drink beer. Mask on at the door till I get to the table which is socially distanced. Wait help has to wear masks. I found a nice brew pub that has good food and great beer! Hotels require masks in common areas.

My work is site surveying power poles to find ones suitable for my company's equipment, so I'm driving all over eastern ID on mostly back roads. My rental car was totally dirty from all the dirt farm roads. Sorry Avis... My goal for the week is 30, I hit 53 last week so the PM is happy about that. I told him that the week of Labor Day I'm not going on the road and he was cool with that.

Airplanes and airports all require masks unless eating or drinking. Denver, SLC, and Idaho Falls all have open restaurants in the airports so I can eat there. With my status on United I have been getting upgraded to first class on planes that have multiple cabins so I get to eat and drink.

Next week and through Sep/Oct that will be my routine. Lather, rinse, and repeat...:giggle:

Happy belated birthday @CaFF!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has there been talk of evacuation orders? Hope it doesn't get too bad, please stay safe!
with it going up the coast a ways there will likely be coastal flooding from storm tide surge in front of the storm . Not sure how the tide tables/timing are though that will effect it some.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Checking in and all is pretty good today. Samsung tech is coming back out Tuesday to look at the fridge again. Well, at least they are trying..........

William and Meko are so damn chatty with each other at 3am now. Don't know what the hell they are talking about. lol. Of course he was being all lovey dovey a moment ago and she pounced on him and tried to bite him. I said, See William, I told you she was a bitch lol. Wait till that cone comes off tomorrow, but he didn't even try to fight back but of course I yelled at her and she ran under the bed.

SO glad to hear they are getting acclimated! ?

Bummer about the bats though, we don't see those very often, at least in the city. It's more of a raccoon/squirrel/rodent/dog thing here.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A bit cooler today, so wanted to get out and get some groceries and thrift shop a bit with b-day cash since there is an hour between buses on Sat anyways. The bus-stop is like across the street from both stores. :D

Found cool stuff, all in great condition:
  • A nice "coarse linen" tablecloth that is actually a 50/50 rayon/poly blend. And it's the right shape. $3
  • Pair of cool TSUBO shoes, all leather upper with rubber soles. Super comfy and apparently pricey. $6
  • A pair of Olde Thompson "Maxwell" S&P grinders, one carbon steel and one ceramic. Fantastic! $4
zKB0Se3.jpg

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
with it going up the coast a ways there will likely be coastal flooding from storm tide surge in front of the storm . Not sure how the tide tables/timing are though that will effect it some.

Ocracoke Island in NC has evacuation orders in place, were supposed to go into effect at 6 am today.

We could get a little fallout from it on Tuesday, depending on how it tracks. Will have to keep an eye out. @MrMeowgi are you watching this storm?

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Has there been talk of evacuation orders? Hope it doesn't get too bad, please stay safe!
No evacuation here and I'm on a barrier island. Just a cat 1 but it's gonna be a slow mover, closest approach tracking right on me if it holds to track.
I really think they don't want to deal with shelters or put people on the move with all the covid.

150 ft from the beach but 7 stories up behind hurricane shutters, no worries here, just don't want the power to go out...?

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Suicides and wife bashings will sky-rocket in Victoria. But I guess this is still for the best.

Both mum and I walk over an hour most days. Can't do that now.

BREAKING: new stage 4 restrictions will apply from 6pm tonight for at least 6 weeks (until Sunday 13 Sept).

STATE OF DISASTER from 6pm tonight.

SHOPPING: one person per household per day - no further than 5km from home.

EXERCISE: limited to one hour per day - no further than 5km from home and no more than two people (whether you live with them or not).

RECREATIONAL ACTIVITY: not permitted.

CURFEW: will apply each night from 8pm to 5am (only exceptions - work; care and care giving and common sense exceptions - intimate partners, custody arrangements), starting at 8pm tonight.

SCHOOLS: From Wednesday ALL students will move to flexible and remote learning (except children of essential workers and vulnerable children). Tuesday is a pupil free day.

KINDERS and CHILDCARE: will follow the same rules as schools (to apply from Thursday.)

WORK PLACES: announcements on work places, shops, restaurants, cafes will be made tomorrow.

PUBLIC TRANSPORT: the Night network will be suspended and public transport services will be reduced during curfew hours.

TAFE and UNIVERSITY: will all be done remotely.

Please be calm, be kind, be patient.

I am available to answer any and all questions - message, email, text or call me 0402 896 892.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Updates: I made 150ml of BluBacco today, really had missed that stuff. I also vacuumed, much to Milly's dismay, then vacc'd out the four dust filters in the new computer too...love them.

Got the dining table cleaned off finally. The tablecloth I got at thrift for $3 works nicely and matches it well...first time in like a decade the table has looked like that. Now I just need to get rid of that old leather Lay-Z-Boy I never use so I can actually sit there. Nobody wants to take it or help move, it barely got up the stairs and in the door. Very narrow outdoor stairs and hallways.

2sXD0msl.jpg

Made up a batch of my flamin' taco/burrito meat again, this time using 50/50 chicken and beef.
Ya can't tell eh? I'd cooked it enough to dry it out some and get a nice sear while reducing it down. it'd been marinated in evil spices for two days in the fridge. ;)??

aotzvOCl.jpg

And, pizza dough for NASCAR grubbin' is go again...woohoo!! ? :pizza:

UhCN8D7l.jpg

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Still alive and well: Things are good here, covid under control . Did have a mini-stroke 12 days ago, I'm ok... Had 2 Orion and juice smuggled into the rehab, made things bearable. Hope everyone is doing ok...

I'm so sorry to hear that AJ, hope you have no residual effects from it. :hug: Did your doc give you a laundry list of things to do to head that off from happening again?

@CaFF many of those recliners have removable backs, makes it a lot easier to move them. The back just lifts right off, sometimes after opening a couple of latches, sometimes there are no latches. I don't think the La-Z-Boys we've had had latches.

ajvapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm so sorry to hear that AJ, hope you have no residual effects from it. :hug: Did your doc give you a laundry list of things to do to head that off from happening again?

@CaFF many of those recliners have removable backs, makes it a lot easier to move them. The back just lifts right off, sometimes after opening a couple of latches, sometimes there are no latches. I don't think the La-Z-Boys we've had had latches.

I lucked out , no residual effects, just need to take a little better care of myself.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Still alive and well: Things are good here, covid under control . Did have a mini-stroke 12 days ago, I'm ok... Had 2 Orion and juice smuggled into the rehab, made things bearable. Hope everyone is doing ok...
Glad you're okay and that you got goodies snuck in

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
That is so cute and awesome.
Same good 'ol cotton string I use on Milly. I just give her like half a ball worth since from dollar store. :D
I don't leave string loose anymore though. My daughter's kitty had to have an emergency surgery due to her swallowing/eating a long piece a few years ago. So just a FYI in the event you do that. Something we never would have thought could happen ya know?

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Batten down the hatches Nada, look like it is coming right over top of you.

Hubbs went to town and got several bags of ice earlier. We have gasoline for the generator and plenty of food. The weather is already blustery and wet here, and from the looks of it will only continue to worsen through the day and night.

Looks like the eye will pass farther to the east, but I'm sure we'll get some of those rotating winds that are always full of rain coming off the ocean. That's how it usually happens here.

Things are looking pretty rough off the coast of Georgia now.

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hubbs went to town and got several bags of ice earlier. We have gasoline for the generator and plenty of food. The weather is already blustery and wet here, and from the looks of it will only continue to worsen through the day and night.

Looks like the eye will pass farther to the east, but I'm sure we'll get some of those rotating winds that are always full of rain coming off the ocean. That's how it usually happens here.
yeah and blown down pine trees and power outages. Be safe my friend.
I lived in timberlake and worked in RTP during Hugo....

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
yeah and blown down pine trees and power outages. Be safe my friend.
I lived in timberlake and worked in RTP during Hugo....

You missed a treat if you weren't here for Fran in 1996. Hugo caused a lot more damage in SC and then in western NC. Fran tore the Raleigh/Durham area all to pieces. Just one of my coworkers in Raleigh at the time had over 200 trees down on his own property over in North Raleigh near Highway 50. I was stranded up in Creedmoor and couldn't get to work - even the Interstate was closed because of downed trees. My mother, in the central area of Raleigh's city limits, was without power for over 3 weeks.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You missed a treat if you weren't here for Fran in 1996. Hugo caused a lot more damage in SC and then in western NC. Fran tore the Raleigh/Durham area all to pieces. Just one of my coworkers in Raleigh at the time had over 200 trees down on his own property over in North Raleigh near Highway 50. I was stranded up in Creedmoor and couldn't get to work - even the Interstate was closed because of downed trees. My mother, in the central area of Raleigh's city limits, was without power for over 3 weeks.
Was in FL by then.
Was thinking of my old home though.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nearly half of COVID-19 patients at a New York City hospital developed severe kidney damage - and 82% of them had NO history of renal problems
  • Researchers looked at 4,000 patients at Mount Sinai Health System in New York City from February 24 to May 30
  • About 46% of coronavirus patients developed acute kidney injury, which is when they kidneys fail to filter waste, with 17% requiring dialysis
  • Around 82% had no history of kidney problems and one-third of those who survived did not regain the same kidney function they had.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Stay safe!!! Thinking of you all that are in the area of the storm.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
awww so cute. Is he/she a seal point? I love them. Such attitude

She appears to be a lilac point mutt, lol

She's an orphaned bottle baby we raised from about 4 weeks of age - she is getting big (and colorful, lol)

You can't see in this pic, but she is getting orange spots in her tail and possibly next to her nose

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
She appears to be a lilac point mutt, lol

She's an orphaned bottle baby we raised from about 4 weeks of age - she is getting big (and colorful, lol)

You can't see in this pic, but she is getting orange spots in her tail and possibly next to her nose
Well, she is a cutie for sure. Hell, they all have attitude lol. That's half the fun, or frustration, take your pick. :giggle::giggle: Thank you for giving her a home. One less orphaned baby on the streets

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Swing and a miss down here, stayed well off the coast and all the heavy weather stayed on the east side of the storm. Just got a little wind not much else. Be safe.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Swing and a miss down here, stayed well off the coast and all the heavy weather stayed on the east side of the storm. Just got a little wind not much else. Be safe.

Good deal. I'm glad you dodged that bullet.

It might get interesting here during the night. I reckon the interesting thing will be to see if we keep power all night. The power goes off here if a breeze goes by. (Not really, but it's mighty easy for it to go off, and then it takes them forever to get it back on.)

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
When did this thread get stickied? Well, well, we're moving up in the world! lol

The storm last night ended up being nothing more than a breezy, rainy night here with some thunder fairly early in the evening.

I hope our neighbors down east (and my daughter and her family) fared anywhere near as well as we did. Am waiting to hear from daughter.

@Rob B. is all well at your house? @MrMeowgi?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When did this thread get stickied? Well, well, we're moving up in the world! lol

The storm last night ended up being nothing more than a breezy, rainy night here with some thunder fairly early in the evening.

I hope our neighbors down east (and my daughter and her family) fared anywhere near as well as we did. Am waiting to hear from daughter.

All is well here. Not a drop of rain in site this far west. Now for Rob I'm sure he's seeing rain

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Rob B.

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

All is well here. Not a drop of rain in site this far west. Now for Rob I'm sure he's seeing rain

Sent from a pile of wood chips

Thanks for asking. :) Same as you. Just a breezy, rainy night. And it took the humidity with it too. thumbsup.gif It was beautiful here this morning. I hope everyone else made it through the storm ok....Hearts.gif

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not much happening here, I took a day off of the Internet yesterday and just hung out with Milly, watched tv and cooked stuff. It's nice being near normal temps again. :)

Milly was like :wtf: when I put on the new tablecloth on, but she adapted quickly and didn't wreck it...lol

VU Sponsors