Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was sick for a MONTH about 2 months or so after I quit smoking. When I smoked, I hardly ever got sick, unless Rich brought me a superbug from the VA hospital. I think there was such a thick coating of goo on the inside of my lungs, no bad critters could get through. But after I quit, I started getting sick all the time. Three separate times, and once it lasted a full month. I swear, I thought I was going to die! But since that last bout of "whatever" cleared up, I haven't had so much as a sniffle. It was really weird getting sick so much at first, though.

I haven't caught any actual colds or flu since I switched to vaping, but I've had a couple of bacterial sinus infections, one severe, that I apparently picked up when I went to visit my mom in the hospital, one just mild, similar to a mild cold, but no fever with that one, just headache from hell and the river of snot. And then all the other health shit like the cankles problem, and my stupid appendix. I think it's a very good thing I DON'T get colds or flu that much anymore, with all the other health shit I've had to deal with!

I think sometimes with some big life-change -- like quitting smoking? -- it can just kinda throw everything out of balance for a while, till a new balance is established.

Andria

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't caught any actual colds or flu since I switched to vaping, but I've had a couple of bacterial sinus infections, one severe, that I apparently picked up when I went to visit my mom in the hospital, one just mild, similar to a mild cold, but no fever with that one, just headache from hell and the river of snot. And then all the other health shit like the cankles problem, and my stupid appendix. I think it's a very good thing I DON'T get colds or flu that much anymore, with all the other health shit I've had to deal with!

I think sometimes with some big life-change -- like quitting smoking? -- it can just kinda throw everything out of balance for a while, till a new balance is established.

Andria

I think my lungs were just in shock at getting fresh air for the first time in my life! ;) Seriously, I was born to two parents (and all their relatives and friends) who smoked like chimneys, and I started smoking myself when I was 13. June of last year was the first time in my life I ever lived in a house that wasn't full of cigarette smoke. So yeah, I guess it was a major life change. :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think my lungs were just in shock at getting fresh air for the first time in my life! ;) Seriously, I was born to two parents (and all their relatives and friends) who smoked like chimneys, and I started smoking myself when I was 13. June of last year was the first time in my life I ever lived in a house that wasn't full of cigarette smoke. So yeah, I guess it was a major life change. :)

When I finally quit in 2014, I was REALLY REALLY glad that I'd been taking my smoking outdoors for the last 16 yrs -- the only problems in the house I ran into were a few garments that had been worn when I smoked and then hung back up, if they didn't seem dirty. When I opened my closet after about 48 hrs smoke-free, that stench really stood out and I had to track 'em down and get 'em washed! :giggle:

Andria

Moueix

Shenanigannery Jedi. Welcome New Refugee's!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Afternoon, y'all! I was wondering why I stopped getting alerts. Come to see that it got so busy another one had to be started. Busy folks here :). Sorry I haven't had much time for forum activities as I've been at it from daylight until dark. Plus, I find that being absent also helps my pocketbook as I'm not tempted by so many enablers. Still, I miss talking to someone other than myself. Back to work, but wanted to make an appearance to say howdy and have been missing you all.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

Jiminy Chrimmus, Paul! Where ya been? You're a sight for sore eyes, don't be such a stranger! Glad you found the new thread!

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
eb2e5d8c7414d28f85f65895a8ea5f7b.jpg

NOM NOM!!!
ponyo-movie-2-source_pbj.jpg

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
When I finally quit in 2014, I was REALLY REALLY glad that I'd been taking my smoking outdoors for the last 16 yrs -- the only problems in the house I ran into were a few garments that had been worn when I smoked and then hung back up, if they didn't seem dirty. When I opened my closet after about 48 hrs smoke-free, that stench really stood out and I had to track 'em down and get 'em washed! :giggle:

Andria

Luckily, I didn't notice that. Maybe because it was summer, and we have all the windows open all summer. By the time my nose got good enough to smell it, it had pretty much dissipated. We asked a friend of ours who has never smoked if the house still reeked when he came over last fall, and he said no, in fact it smelled like cupcakes! LOL! That made me very happy, because even as a smoker, I was always embarrassed at how nasty the house smelled all the time, especially in the winter when it was closed up. Even before we quit, if we went out to do evening chores or something, and were out in the fresh outside air, we were smacked in the nose with the stench when we came back inside. I wouldn't smoke outside, though, because I could hardly BREATHE at below zero temps, much less inhale smoke when it was that cold. And I chain smoked, so I would have had to live outside. NOT! LOL!

The amazing this is this last winter I noticed that I can breathe just fine at below zero temps now. It used to make my bronchial tubes spasm and lock up and I'd start coughing uncontrollably, but now, it's like no big deal. And I can VAPE at those low temps. Before, if it was colder than about 40 degrees above zero, I couldn't smoke without coughing horribly. I was SO messed up, and didn't even know how bad until I quit.

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've watched em all a million times. Howls Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, all of em. It was a small price to spend HOURS with the kids, doing what THEY wanted to do.
They are great movies especially Howl's Moving Castle... I love how he interpreted the book. Surprisingly its the only movie I think in existence better than the book.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Luckily, I didn't notice that. Maybe because it was summer, and we have all the windows open all summer. By the time my nose got good enough to smell it, it had pretty much dissipated. We asked a friend of ours who has never smoked if the house still reeked when he came over last fall, and he said no, in fact it smelled like cupcakes! LOL! That made me very happy, because even as a smoker, I was always embarrassed at how nasty the house smelled all the time, especially in the winter when it was closed up. Even before we quit, if we went out to do evening chores or something, and were out in the fresh outside air, we were smacked in the nose with the stench when we came back inside. I wouldn't smoke outside, though, because I could hardly BREATHE at below zero temps, much less inhale smoke when it was that cold. And I chain smoked, so I would have had to live outside. NOT! LOL!

The amazing this is this last winter I noticed that I can breathe just fine at below zero temps now. It used to make my bronchial tubes spasm and lock up and I'd start coughing uncontrollably, but now, it's like no big deal. And I can VAPE at those low temps. Before, if it was colder than about 40 degrees above zero, I couldn't smoke without coughing horribly. I was SO messed up, and didn't even know how bad until I quit.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that the only reason I put up with the outdoor smoking was because we'd already relocated back to GA -- if we'd still been in MI, that shit would have never flown. The only reason I got interested in vaping in the first place was because we were having the coldest winter in over 30 yrs... I'd been an outdoor smoker for 16, and NEVER experienced the kind of cold we had in the winter of '13-'14 (not since leaving MI anyway!) -- so I had to find something I could use indoors -- enter vaping. Then when I went to ECF and saw all the successful quitters, I thought, hmmm. :D

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I don't think I could have ever stood running out of cigarettes; just the fact of not having them around induces a panic attack, and then I get pissed and sense flies right out the window. :D So that last open pk with 12 in it is still in a ziplock in the back of my freezer, behind the nicotine. Turning into, if they haven't already, tobaccocicles. :giggle:

Seriously, when we had to stay overnight at my mom's earlier this year when my stepfather had his heart attack, it occurred to me at one point that I had no cigarettes handy whatsoever. I sorta almost flew into a panic attack, but I took a vape... then another... and realized I hadn't smoked in a year and a half (at that time), and didn't really see a need to start again. After a few minutes, I forgot all about it.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't think I could have ever stood running out of cigarettes; just the fact of not having them around induces a panic attack, and then I get pissed and sense flies right out the window. :D So that last open pk with 12 in it is still in a ziplock in the back of my freezer, behind the nicotine. Turning into, if they haven't already, tobaccocicles. :giggle:

Seriously, when we had to stay overnight at my mom's earlier this year when my stepfather had his heart attack, it occurred to me at one point that I had no cigarettes handy whatsoever. I sorta almost flew into a panic attack, but I took a vape... then another... and realized I hadn't smoked in a year and a half (at that time), and didn't really see a need to start again. After a few minutes, I forgot all about it.

Andria

Once upon a time that would of sent me into a panic attack also but not now. I made a decision that once they are gone, that's it and now I need to stick to it. Of course shit keeps hitting the fan making it harder and harder. My mom locks her keys in the car with it running today, that was fun, cable never bothered to show up and install my internet today after I waited 5 hour for them, and the gf showed her ass a few times but I stood firm. Now if I can keep it up.
One of the problems I have since they put the stint in me is constantly out of breath. I have to do hardly anything and I am out of breath and I did not have that problem before. Smoking for a week makes it ten times worse. Plus now vaping is making me choke. It been well over a year since a huge cloud made me cough. Smokin gotta go, just not worth it.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Once upon a time that would of sent me into a panic attack also but not now. I made a decision that once they are gone, that's it and now I need to stick to it. Of course shit keeps hitting the fan making it harder and harder. My mom locks her keys in the car with it running today, that was fun, cable never bothered to show up and install my internet today after I waited 5 hour for them, and the gf showed her ass a few times but I stood firm. Now if I can keep it up.
One of the problems I have since they put the stint in me is constantly out of breath. I have to do hardly anything and I am out of breath and I did not have that problem before. Smoking for a week makes it ten times worse. Plus now vaping is making me choke. It been well over a year since a huge cloud made me cough. Smokin gotta go, just not worth it.
Damn doc....I certainly hope things turn themselves around, and fast...!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Fiance is quite prone to stones, He does the lemon juice in water thing and also I fix him a concoction of 16 oz of water, 4 oz of Cider Vinegar and a half teaspoon of baking soda. Stirred or shaken till dissolved before drinking. :) He swears by it.

Might try the cider & baking soda. Think I got most if not all of them for now. :) Might try that anyway just to see. Tell you what, a person doesn't know urinating until they have to set a few hours at a time doing it.
ETA: Tried the bicarbonate & vinegar. :) :D :) :bliss::stars: I'll remember this and start doing it every so often to keep ahead of those nasty stones.Worst case it balances out my ph levels. *chuckles* As if that would be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Moueix

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
GM Hank, Kad, Atcha, Morley (and Dale if he is still standing). Good morning Krewe who have yet to check in.
Nothing says GFY like Go Fuck Yourself. A rainy, miserable day here. My vendors, and SO many others will be delighted I am finally looking into their shit.

VU Sponsors