Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No water or field cress? Been a while since I've had that but me and my grandma used to go gathering it. She would hold out her staff to let me swing down over the river bank to get the water cress. Then we would walk along the rail track down to a pasture spot near the wood to find field cress. She let Pap get the horseradish, wild from along the rail track, along with his hot pepper wild mustard. She made splendid rock candy too. I feel kind of angry at 'Old Timer's" for not having let my wife gotten to know her better, to have learned all the secrets of her kitchen.
Holy hells that sounds very familar.
Did your grandma make glass candy as well?

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
He so cute! :) Wife has been telling me, "wants nother baaaby, da, needs another baaaaby!" I keep refusing to come off birth control though despite her efforts to get me pregers. ;) Told her "nah, we gots too many a baaaby, dey eats us outa house n home already."

Bah, I be too silly I see. Might want a new Pit baby. Nobody can 'replace' my old Thistle but I'm sure he would want me to have a good buddy again. :) Sherlock last night showed Chris, my wife, that he is absolutely his papa's boy. She had a piece of homemade pizza, I had a ham roll (ham in pizza dough rolled like a pepperoni roll). Sherlock refused going to her. He walked right directly to me, got some ham roll as pretty as you please. :) She got fussy, "I see how he is, stuck up" -- "No, he's just da's boy, not mim's." :)

Hm, but yeah I might need to go find another Pit, preferably a rescue or run off one. I love Pits. It's not the breed in them what makes them mean but the hand what feed them. I never keep mean dogs. Sure they might have a 'security guard' edge but none are ever mean at least not that I can help. Thistle was a run off from somebody. He was gun shy, figure they tried beating it out of him. It took the longest time to get him to just relax and play with me, he kept cringing as though I was going to go after him. Once he 'broke down' to play, I knew at that moment he was safe to keep. He was a smart ass too, could box, would always tag my nose but good with a right hook. *chuckles* Yep, loved that old fellow. :)

*sighs* Fine, another baaaby it is. *grumbling only slightly* *smh* I dunno bout that gal, she gunna be my ends yet. :)

Pits are the sweetest babies in the world and raised right are awesome family dogs. Mine wouldnt harm a hair on any of us and loves kids, but kids dont always love him because he has been known to steal stuffed animals from little girls :giggle:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Please don't feed dogs chocolate of any kind it's really bad for them.Certain types of chocolate can even kill dogs.

My pups been getting chocolate far as long as I can remember, but like with anything, moderation is the key. Chocolate is toxic to any living being in large quantities, including humans. Had a female American Eskimo once that got into some christmas Chocolates once. The missus had these three pound boxes of shocolates wrapped up on the bed as gifts and we went somewhere and when we came home we found one of the boxes open and half of the chocolate gone. The missus started bawling and squalling knowing our baby girl was as good as dead from all that chocolate. Then the squirts hit and the dog would spray diaria all over the carpet so the missus started cussing, then back to crying until the squirts hit again. Cussing then crying, cussing then crying, I had to get the hell out of there because it was becoming comical and I couldnt keep a straight face so I made excuses to leave. :giggle:

Monday morning the dog was just fine but we took her to the vet anyways and they agreed, she was fine. Thats when the vet told me you dont want to make it a habit of giving dogs chocolate because in large quantities it can be very toxic but like people, too much also makes them fat and thats not healthy either. That same dog when she was 10 years old developed breast tumors. The vet said normally when that happens there is not much they can do and usually they will live six months but considering it was my household he said she could last another year and a half and told us to keep an eye on her and if she looked like she was in pain bring her in and they would put her down instead of having her suffer. She ended up living another 5 years.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn, look what @Atchafalaya is sending me today. Just what the hell I do THIS time!

d5ab4aa002d047529bd700c5cd51fcd5.png

Tornado warnings, flood warnings......maybe I can get @KadlyDoWrong help in getting @Atchafalaya to take the gris gris off of it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Holy hells that sounds very familar.
Did your grandma make glass candy as well?

Not sure. Some might call old fashioned rock candy glass candy, or are you meaning that what got pulled out leveled like glass panes? I recall her doing something kin to that one year. She liked doing it but complained it was too much work for what it wound up being, stuck with plain old rock candy.

She also made homemade ketchup that was really spicy with cinnamon & clove. That was a guarded secret too, her recipe for that. I tried making it a few times but could not 'quite' get it where it needed to be. She told me there was one thing she added but would not ever let anyone know, in hindsight I'm thinking it is black pepper but not sure.

Grilling peppers up ahead might make sense on pizza. Though we just relied upon portion control to curb excessive moisture on the top of the pie. There's also a proper way to apply the toppings, cheese so as to get the dough to 'crust' up correctly. You also want to know about docking the dough and how to evenly spread the marinara sauce as underlay for the toppings. :)

Yes, it's something of an artistry to running a pizza bar & I learned it from a few of the best ever doing it. Also learned the whole slinging the dough up in the air to 'fluff' it out but really didn't fool much with that as it hampers making a good pizza actually. Fluffy dough gets unevenly thinned out, you risk holes, tears & it's just not keen to work dough after being fluffed. Not saying it cannot be done, merely that it can be a hindrance in the doing. And running a good pizza bar, you learn that any shortcut what gets you quality product quicker gets you more customers, quicker and more ability to sell bulk product at discount to make up in volume.

"Hey, got an hour long special! We running a one topping pepperoni large, just .... f...i...v...e dolla, gets 'em hot! One hour only, let's roll 'em! You pick-em up, no delivery."

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pits are the sweetest babies in the world and raised right are awesome family dogs. Mine wouldnt harm a hair on any of us and loves kids, but kids dont always love him because he has been known to steal stuffed animals from little girls :giggle:

Yep, I know Pits are extremely good dogs if treated properly & given just a bit of guideline discipline. :) I'm not wanting a full blood though for consideration of a few health issues to kind of hope to avoid. Told wife tonight we can get another Pit/Lab or I'd consider a Pit/Collie mix.

She and her dad keep telling me I need to borne out a Jack Russel but I got to reading up on them and I'm not too keen for the breed. They can get too barky if you're not careful, and wind up with Little Dog Syndrome more so easily than most. I don't want either because 'working out' either would risk rebellion and the dog going mean on us, not where I want a dog.

I want a mellowed out 'faithful' old general purpose 'guard' hound, what can be friendly but if the wrong ones turn up they get a quiet demon on them. Not that I'll keep any mean dogs. I also don't keep disloyal ones, or ones what just won't be reached by loving. I know the ones I want, I'm alright with a bit of a smart ass. Funny, my 'sheep' dogs the Great Pyrenees all know they better mind lest I get the stick/staff. I don't abuse them but they know if I tap them with the staff, they done gone wrong, and yes it is a very gentle but strict tap. Like the Sheppard these sheepdog been bred to work with. :)

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know I'm done for awhile. I have some stuff coming up in the next month or 2 that will have to be taken care of. Buying vape gear that I don't really need doesn't help me accomplish that. I'm on a vape gear moratorium. :)

VU Sponsors