Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just cause I know it's going to bug Andria, here's my New Years Day traditional dinner. :giggle:

View attachment 70432

Doesn't bug me at all. Though if I eat greens, I prefer mixed collards and mustard greens, but barely cooked at all -- lightly stir-fried in a very hot skillet. NOM NOM NOM. Blackeyed peas, I pretty much like any way they're fixed. :)

But we'll be having the open-faced chili dogs. I like those because as much as I've always loved chili dogs, I hate how messy they are; when you can eat them with a fork, it's a lot neater. Also I can't find any good hotdog buns that I like, so I just split the weiners length-wise so they'll lay flat, on a piece of toasted double-fiber bread, then ladle on the chili, and top with chopped onions.

My other variation is "chinese chili dogs" -- weiners cut into discs, mixed with chili and rice and chopped onions.

But, we don't eat a lot of hotdogs, because they're so high in sodium; I try to watch how much sodium I feed my husband, because of his hypertension. Well-controlled with meds, but still... no sense borrowing trouble. But for a now-and-then treat... NOM NOM NOM. :D

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, we went out and grabbed some of the stuff we either forgot yesterday (the hotdogs!) or that Walmart didn't have in stock (stupid asshole that does the ordering!). And now I can't get the Oscar Meyer weiner song out of my head.

Oh I wish I was an Oscar Meyer weiner...
That is what I'd truly like to be...
'Cuz if I was an Oscar Meyer weiner
Everyone would be in love with me!

:giggle:
Andria

:D

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Doesn't bug me at all. Though if I eat greens, I prefer mixed collards and mustard greens, but barely cooked at all -- lightly stir-fried in a very hot skillet. NOM NOM NOM. Blackeyed peas, I pretty much like any way they're fixed. :)

But we'll be having the open-faced chili dogs. I like those because as much as I've always loved chili dogs, I hate how messy they are; when you can eat them with a fork, it's a lot neater. Also I can't find any good hotdog buns that I like, so I just split the weiners length-wise so they'll lay flat, on a piece of toasted double-fiber bread, then ladle on the chili, and top with chopped onions.

My other variation is "chinese chili dogs" -- weiners cut into discs, mixed with chili and rice and chopped onions.

But, we don't eat a lot of hotdogs, because they're so high in sodium; I try to watch how much sodium I feed my husband, because of his hypertension. Well-controlled with meds, but still... no sense borrowing trouble. But for a now-and-then treat... NOM NOM NOM. :D

Andria
I knew it wouldn't bug you! I like mustard greens too but the fresh ones at the store looked old. I actually prefer mustard greens raw in a salad. Are there any chili dogs left?? I love 'em!!

Vesuvius

OG
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, we went out and grabbed some of the stuff we either forgot yesterday (the hotdogs!) or that Walmart didn't have in stock (stupid asshole that does the ordering!). And now I can't get the Oscar Meyer weiner song out of my head.

Oh I wish I was an Oscar Meyer weiner...
That is what I'd truly like to be...
'Cuz if I was an Oscar Meyer weiner
Everyone would be in love with me!

:giggle:
Andria
We waited until yesterday to get a roast. Our Walmart had all of the hotdogs you could want but no roast. Stopped by the butcher and he had 3 12 pounders. I told him to cut that shit in half, its only 3 of us dude.

He gets excited when you ask for meat and tries to send you out with 20lbs of beef and 30lbs of pork lol. Then im like naw dude, I just need like 3 ribeyes, hes like, you sure? lol, for fucks sake.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I knew it wouldn't bug you! I like mustard greens too but the fresh ones at the store looked old. I actually prefer mustard greens raw in a salad. Are there any chili dogs left?? I love 'em!!

Haven't fixed 'em yet -- we didn't eat "breakfast" till after 3! ROFL! Because the cook slept till noon! (I didn't get to bed till sometime after 5! All the pyro neighbors were shooting the place up till after 3!)

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We waited until yesterday to get a roast. Our Walmart had all of the hotdogs you could want but no roast. Stopped by the butcher and he had 3 12 pounders. I told him to cut that shit in half, its only 3 of us dude.

He gets excited when you ask for meat and tries to send you out with 20lbs of beef and 30lbs of pork lol. Then im like naw dude, I just need like 3 ribeyes, hes like, you sure? lol, for fucks sake.

Just the opposite of my husband -- we go to Ingles for steaks, because they'll cut what you like -- my husband always asks for a porterhouse; the butcher says "How thick?" "At least an inch!" Butcher says, yeah, that'll feed both of ya nicely... Husband says, nah that's for me, she wants an inch-thick NY Strip! :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Mustard greens, spinach, all that stuff makes great salad! But I had that mixed-greens, lightly stir-fried, at some restaurant, and LOVED it!! I never cared for any kind of greens, as a kid (except broccoli and brussels sprouts), but when I grew up I realized it's because cooking them too long makes them too strong-tasting -- raw, or lightly-cooked, is best!

Still wouldn't eat turnip greens if I was starving to death. Nor liver. :blech:

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mustard greens, spinach, all that stuff makes great salad! But I had that mixed-greens, lightly stir-fried, at some restaurant, and LOVED it!! I never cared for any kind of greens, as a kid (except broccoli and brussels sprouts), but when I grew up I realized it's because cooking them too long makes them too strong-tasting -- raw, or lightly-cooked, is best!

Still wouldn't eat turnip greens if I was starving to death. Nor liver. :blech:

Andria
I'm with you on the turnip greens. And liver! Ugh...no thanks! When I was pregnant with Laura I was anemic. So the Drs suggested I eat lots of greens cooked in a cast iron skillet to get iron. After trying turnip greens once I called them up and told them to put me on iron pills that if the powers that be wanted me to graze, they would've put me on 4 legs rather than 2. Nasty stuff!!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm with you on the turnip greens. And liver! Ugh...no thanks! When I was pregnant with Laura I was anemic. So the Drs suggested I eat lots of greens cooked in a cast iron skillet to get iron. After trying turnip greens once I called them up and told them to put me on iron pills that if the powers that be wanted me to graze, they would've put me on 4 legs rather than 2. Nasty stuff!!

Totally agree about turnip greens, they're so fucking BITTER -- though strangely, I don't mind *turnips* at all. But other greens, I either liked from childhood -- broccoli, brussels sprouts, and cabbage -- or learned to like after I grew up -- mustard/collard greens raw or lightly stir-fried. Raw spinach, in salad -- yum! Cooked spinach in anything except spanokopita, yuck.

I ate chicken livers when I was very young, but one time, my grandmother was cooking them, and the smell just turned my stomach, and I've never been able to tolerate any liver of any kind since then. I had to take iron pills when I was nursing my son, but really, I'd happily starve or die of malnutrition before I'd eat liver.

But salad... yum. Iceberg lettuce, very crunchy and cold, is one of my favorite things EVER. I could graze on that all day and half the night. :D You know how anything that's good with whipped cream is better with MORE whipped cream? I feel exactly that way about lettuce. :giggle:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Doesn't putting whipped cream on your salad defeat the purpose of eating a salad?:p

It would, yes. The only thing I want on lettuce is a tiny bit of ranch, caesar, or *really good* bleu cheese dressing (like the kind at Red Lobster -- their bleu cheese is the best I've ever had!)... or, a little vinegar & oil if it's red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. The juice inside pepperoncini peppers is good on salad too.

But my point was that the scrap of lettuce that most restaurants put on a sandwich... at subway, I say "and a lot of lettuce... and after you put that, then put some more." and when they stop putting it on, I say "that's good, but a little more." It's basically a salad on a bun. :p

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Whats really bad is getting your wiener stuck in the snow...
View attachment 70433

You related to some guy in VA that used to erm, with um sheep? Think he was Welsh actually. Sheep are white like snow, only reason I ask. Not sure I'd Weiner snow ... oh dang, there I go political ... bah! * ambles off before he gets the Eltrolux tossed at him *

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It would, yes. The only thing I want on lettuce is a tiny bit of ranch, caesar, or *really good* bleu cheese dressing (like the kind at Red Lobster -- their bleu cheese is the best I've ever had!)... or, a little vinegar & oil if it's red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil. The juice inside pepperoncini peppers is good on salad too.

But my point was that the scrap of lettuce that most restaurants put on a sandwich... at subway, I say "and a lot of lettuce... and after you put that, then put some more." and when they stop putting it on, I say "that's good, but a little more." It's basically a salad on a bun. :p

Andria
This reminds of one of the patrons at the place where my son works. She orders a pizza with green peppers. She wants green peppers to cover the entire pizza with nothing showing on top through the green peppers.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This reminds of one of the patrons at the place where my son works. She orders a pizza with green peppers. She wants green peppers to cover the entire pizza with nothing showing on top through the green peppers.

Entirely too many peppers. Too much water. It'll ruin the fucking crust. Smfh

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The way I understand it, she wants normal green peppers on the pizza, then the cheese on top. After it comes out of the oven, add enough green peppers to completely cover the pizza then back in the oven just to brown them a little. I like green peppers but if I ate than many, I'd taste them for a week!

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The way I understand it, she wants normal green peppers on the pizza, then the cheese on top. After it comes out of the oven, add enough green peppers to completely cover the pizza then back in the oven just to brown them a little. I like green peppers but if I ate than many, I'd taste them for a week!
My neighbor gave me a bunch of green and red peppers from his garden. I tossed them all on the BBQ until they turned black. Let um cool, peeled the black skin off, put um in olive oil with a garlic clove. Will be ready to eat tomorrow.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, and why would this strange creature who is a man but calls himself a snake hurl insults at the kind people who are the Fugees?
Same reason anybody else would have.
Already in a bad mood and I felt they were deliberately trying to push my buttons...Nuff Said.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, I may be in the minority, but I like Snakey, personally. I think he just had a few bad days, because he's not normally like that.

Even if I disagree vehemently with him about non-smokers vaping. :giggle:

Andria
Love you too...Cheers!

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Some kind with Hershey's syrup in it :D

Better put the pedal to the metal, Rascal is on his second one :teehee:

Ah the special brownies. :) :D

I remember me and someone finding out we had a dog that could appreciate a feat of gravity in a mason jar. Boy did he like those clouds what hung low from us when we used to do that kind of odd science experiments. :teehee::giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Yeah, you're right peppers got too much water content for the baking. You could even 'brick' that pizza on stone oven and it'd still foul up the crust. Oops, there I go membering helping my wife at the pizza place. We did over 250 pizzas in one order one New Years night when we worked there, both ovens were kept sizzling hot all night long. Pop one in, pull two out and box three. Whew, smh, I don't ever want to run a pizza bar again. Lost ten pounds that night just sweating buckets in front of the ovens.

Thought I knew how to "move" until her momma come back and took a stack of tickets an inch thick and zip, they were cleared, everybody else was standing still she bent time around herself. She never said I wasn't moving quick enough, just moved the whole galley a couple hundred times faster. i know to never make her mom mad at me.

And the reason the tickets got so far ahead was that we had the customers lined up two miles to come eat, standing room only. They loved our food product, loved us making it, loved the atmosphere, loved the sense of community/family we offered. That was until Craigo the owner sent in the scabs to clear us out, we were making him too much cash, made all his other places lopsided and it drew attention to some things what caused embarrassment. We were just that good and we could warrant being up to our ears in orders for food all night long like that, year round.

It weren't us being slow, or goldbricking or anything like that. Heck no, if anything we were too quick, too accurate, too yummy, too clean, too ... well, when they line up for two miles just to toss you money, go figure. :)

Last edited:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I remember me and someone finding out we had a dog that could appreciate a feat of gravity in a mason jar. Boy did he like those clouds what hung low from us when we used to do that kind of odd science experiments. :teehee::giggle:

These are just regular brownies, nothing magical about them :D Plus Rascal is still just a lil boy and lil boys dont need the special brownies :teehee:

ccab60c9a6a2432eb520916f2006a27d.jpg

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
These are just regular brownies, nothing magical about them :D Plus Rascal is still just a lil boy and lil boys dont need the special brownies :teehee:

ccab60c9a6a2432eb520916f2006a27d.jpg

He so cute! :) Wife has been telling me, "wants nother baaaby, da, needs another baaaaby!" I keep refusing to come off birth control though despite her efforts to get me pregers. ;) Told her "nah, we gots too many a baaaby, dey eats us outa house n home already."

Bah, I be too silly I see. Might want a new Pit baby. Nobody can 'replace' my old Thistle but I'm sure he would want me to have a good buddy again. :) Sherlock last night showed Chris, my wife, that he is absolutely his papa's boy. She had a piece of homemade pizza, I had a ham roll (ham in pizza dough rolled like a pepperoni roll). Sherlock refused going to her. He walked right directly to me, got some ham roll as pretty as you please. :) She got fussy, "I see how he is, stuck up" -- "No, he's just da's boy, not mim's." :)

Hm, but yeah I might need to go find another Pit, preferably a rescue or run off one. I love Pits. It's not the breed in them what makes them mean but the hand what feed them. I never keep mean dogs. Sure they might have a 'security guard' edge but none are ever mean at least not that I can help. Thistle was a run off from somebody. He was gun shy, figure they tried beating it out of him. It took the longest time to get him to just relax and play with me, he kept cringing as though I was going to go after him. Once he 'broke down' to play, I knew at that moment he was safe to keep. He was a smart ass too, could box, would always tag my nose but good with a right hook. *chuckles* Yep, loved that old fellow. :)

*sighs* Fine, another baaaby it is. *grumbling only slightly* *smh* I dunno bout that gal, she gunna be my ends yet. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Need to start the year out right, full on Zef! Play along with S.O.S. ;) Hi-Tech flow to the yin to the yang. Nana Brain!

Last edited by a moderator:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Collards. Kale, Swiss Chard, Collards and Spinach are the only kind of cooked greens I'll eat. :)

No water or field cress? Been a while since I've had that but me and my grandma used to go gathering it. She would hold out her staff to let me swing down over the river bank to get the water cress. Then we would walk along the rail track down to a pasture spot near the wood to find field cress. She let Pap get the horseradish, wild from along the rail track, along with his hot pepper wild mustard. She made splendid rock candy too. I feel kind of angry at 'Old Timer's" for not having let my wife gotten to know her better, to have learned all the secrets of her kitchen.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:hug::finger: @Hank F. Spankman , GFY Spanky. Got another do nothing day today. Wife ran off with her rents to Charleston, her ma needs pig veins in her legs, so as she gets her circulation back. She's seeing a doc bout that today, the starting of it and the splaining it out to her so she can get ready for the surgery. I got laundry as usual and if I get ambitious might bring some firewood down, feed the hellions, fight the damn spasms in my back and my left hand from hitting me unexpectedly, might try figuring some gardening stuff a bit. Got some wire displays from a store that'd be good bean trellis, need to suess that and see ifin i'll need to do any welding on it. We got a torch kit and now also a MIG. I might just zap or burn the trellis together, but not today. I'll do the figuring on it today though, see what is what.

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Collards. Kale, Swiss Chard, Collards and Spinach are the only kind of cooked greens I'll eat. :)
I'll take a pot of greens anytime.Made up a small batch of Dandelion Greens cause I got peckish just a few ticks ago.Thank gawd for electric skillets.

VU Sponsors