Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I got new throw pillows! :bliss:

tumblr_onuzceoJsY1vga2mio1_1280.jpg

And as you can also see, I had to spread a lap blanket over the new loveseat, as the cat has decided that she really enjoys that new-furniture smell, and usually lays there anytime we aren't sitting there. :giggle:

Andria

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

And as you can also see, I had to spread a lap blanket over the new loveseat, as the cat has decided that she really enjoys that new-furniture smell, and usually lays there anytime we aren't sitting there. :giggle:

Andria

Very nice living room Andria! But I have always wondered...why are they called "throw pillows" if you're never allowed to throw them at....well...anything! :gaah:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria
That's gorgeous Andrea.............uh, I mean Andria. Just messin' wit ya. It really is a nice living space.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I actually loved all the songs posted on the previous page.
And Snake, I get my coffee from Kadly. He roasts the beans and mails them to me. Talk about delish!
Edit: Ok, so, my ADHD kicked in and I didn't get the question. Now I do. Do I get points for that?:oops::rolleyes:
Nope, I think you got the question right, I just anticipated what the next question would be and answered it before he asked. Yeah, that's the ticket.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Very nice living room Andria! But I have always wondered...why are they called "throw pillows" if you're never allowed to throw them at....well...anything! :gaah:

Heh. I think because the "style" is that they should look as if they're been simply "thrown" at the couch haphazardly. But I don't know any women who throw their throw pillows haphazardly. They're usually posed with excessive care. :D

I plan to get a couple more, which actually match the couch -- they're lying on the floor at my parents' house, where they've been since my parents gave us that couch and bought a new one; currently if my mom could see all my stepfather's paperwork crap strewn all over their latest couch, she would surely spin in her grave like a top. But at least the kitchen table where he used to always keep that crap, which she constantly bitched at him about, is now clear. :giggle:

Andria

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Karen Carpenter starving herself to death really pissed me off, as she was never fat or even pudgy to start with. But I guess that's mental illness for you -- I'm sure no one could rationally grasp why Heath Ledger or Robin Williams would be depressed... mental illness is no respecter of anything or anyone.

Maybe that sort of mental illness explains these people who weigh 300 lbs and are more offended that you might hurt their feelings about their obesity, than the fact that their obesity might kill them. :facepalm:

Andria

Depending on which tawdry biographer you care to believe there were some real "Mom issues" tossed in that fruit salad.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Depending on which tawdry biographer you care to believe there were some real "Mom issues" tossed in that fruit salad.

I had a whole bunch of those myself, which is partly what's making this whole grieving process so difficult. I can't say I really miss *her*... but what I do miss, I think, is the potential opportunity to ever make things "right" with her... even though my rational mind knows that would never happen, she being who she was, and I being who I am... Now that the possibility is completely gone, I miss that hope. So I will just have to keep being who I am, knowing she never got me in the first damn place. I always felt like a changeling... and I suspect she might have even wondered herself, how this person could have come from her.

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I had a whole bunch of those myself, which is partly what's making this whole grieving process so difficult. I can't say I really miss *her*... but what I do miss, I think, is the potential opportunity to ever make things "right" with her... even though my rational mind knows that would never happen, she being who she was, and I being who I am... Now that the possibility is completely gone, I miss that hope. So I will just have to keep being who I am, knowing she never got me in the first damn place. I always felt like a changeling... and I suspect she might have even wondered herself, how this person could have come from her.

Andria

I can relate to this big time

I'm going to see my mother soon - for the first time in 12 years. In between that time we went over five years without any communication whatsoever. Part of me is excited, but an even bigger part of me is dreading it.

She is emotionally needy and is capable of sucking the life out of me faster than any other human being on earth.

Years ago I thought I'd made peace with the fact that my mother would never really be a mother to me, but the older I get, the more I feel a terrible void and wish I had that kind of relationship with her, but I know it will never be. She isn't capable of it.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Andria

I hear ya but with my family that train left the station a long time ago. When my mother died my therapist asked me how I felt. Without any deep thought invovled my one word reply to him was: Relieved.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I can relate to this big time

I'm going to see my mother soon - for the first time in 12 years. In between that time we went over five years without any communication whatsoever. Part of me is excited, but an even bigger part of me is dreading it.

She is emotionally needy and is capable of sucking the life out of me faster than any other human being on earth.

Years ago I thought I'd made peace with the fact that my mother would never really be a mother to me, but the older I get, the more I feel a terrible void and wish I had that kind of relationship with her, but I know it will never be. She isn't capable of it.

With my mom, it's more like.. she and I not only didn't come from the same planet, we didn't even come from the same solar system. I did get my love of reading from her, I distinctly remember her telling me when I was a child that you could learn something from every book you ever read, no matter how lightweight the reading matter. I took that to heart, and though I love vampires and urban paranormal fantasy and murder mysteries out the yinyang, I also love biographies and real histories and books on different areas of science... but when she'd see me reading some of the weightier material, she was always: "What are you reading THAT for?" To which I'd reply "Because it interests me." And she'd look at me like she couldn't figure out what species I was. Once I told her that no, I really didn't care if people "talked" about me, but I hoped they at least told the truth. She said that meant I was a psychopath, if I didn't care if people gossiped about me. I said that I only cared that they must have really boring lives if I was the best thing they could find to talk about. She threw up her hands and said "I give up."

She also could never figure out why I rarely EVER wore makeup, and usually wore my hair in a ponytail or twisted up on top of my head -- I told her putting makeup on me was like using spackle on a foot-deep pothole -- I have serious acne scars -- and also my NEED for reading glasses to see anything up close means I really can't do eye makeup without risking poking myself in the eye; my hair, I just want neat and OUT OF MY FACE -- but she always wanted me to wear bangs, because of my enormous forehead, despite the need to CONSTANTLY trim the fucking things, and again, I don't want my hair in my face, period. I care a GREAT deal more about my comfort and convenience than I will EVER care about my appearance; I wear nice clothes mostly because she and my aunt give them to me from whatever they get tired of -- but I wear COMFORTABLE clothes, always, not fussy or dramatic stuff that needs dry cleaning, god forbid!

Basically, I had to learn self-esteem and self-respect on my own, and on my own terms, because she never seemed to find me in any way adequate to what she thought I "ought" to be -- which, right there, explains pretty much all the self-esteem and depression issues I suffered over many decades, complete with the alcohol and drug abuse and suicidal ideation that naturally accompanies problems of that sort. I thank god that I found my husband, who has always liked and loved me just as I am... even if occasionally he feels like choking me, he doesn't want to change me. :D His love and companionship have enabled me to discover who I really am, and learn to be at peace with that person.

Andria

snake94115

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
One of my all time favorite songs
(I do so get a kick out of hearing it being sung at a church....it says hallelujah a bunch, it MUST be a religious song right? :giggle:)
More a spiritual song than religious.But try explaining the difference and they look at you like you are from another planet.Or worse call you a heathen witch.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
had to learn self-esteem and self-respect on my own, and on my own terms, because she never seemed to find me in any way adequate to what she thought I "ought" to be --

The same here - the best I could do is try not to be that kind of mother.

My youngest daughter (age 30, lol) still calls me mommy when she gets excited or is very happy and feeling care free :giggle:

I call my mother by her first name :facepalm:

USMCotaku

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
To be fair, there are many versions of the song, and even Cohen himself had multiple versions, but Cohen's tended to a theme (ala samson and delilah etc. etc....)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The same here - the best I could do is try not to be that kind of mother.

My youngest daughter (age 30, lol) still calls me mommy when she gets excited or is very happy and feeling care free :giggle:

I call my mother by her first name :facepalm:

ROFL! I've always said that my best guide to motherhood was 1) Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care, and 2) figuring out what she'd have done.. and then doing the exact opposite. :giggle: I consulted the book because the idea of being a mother like her positively terrified me; even though I was generally happy when I discovered I was pregnant, I also cried, at the possibility that my child might one day feel about me, the way I felt about her -- just wanting to get AWAY, FAR FAR AWAY. I guess I did something right, because he doesn't seem to feel that way at all -- he's looking forward to coming back home to live, and often calls me up just to talk -- he's a great pal! And my best "book club." :D

I always called my mother "mama"... I think, for 2 reasons: that's what she always called her own mother, and also because she tried as hard as she could to keep me a child as long as she could. I don't know that keeping me a child was actually her aim, but what she wanted was CONTROL over me, which of course is only possible with a very young child. As I've said many times... she was a control-freak to the bottom of her soul. She had my stepfather and her sister so under her thumb that to this very day, they still don't realize how they *enabled* her to remain a child herself -- an adult would have changed and moderated her diet to fit her diabetic condition, not gobbled sugar like it was gonna disappear tomorrow.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
ROFL! I've always said that my best guide to motherhood was 1) Dr Spock's Baby and Child Care, and 2) figuring out what she'd have done.. and then doing the exact opposite. I consulted the book because the idea of being a mother like her positively terrified me;

Yeah, I was terrified of motherhood - but I promised my kids before they were born I would not have them repeat my childhood

I rarely knew what to do, but I almost always knew what not to do

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Perhaps if Karen had done a metal album she could have worked some of that stuff out of her system.

There sure are a lot of Robert Cromwells out there.

cromwell.jpg

How are we to be certain we have THE Cromwell???

He's the alien-looking dude chasing children on his riding lawn mower :cuss2:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Everybody has got some thing. Things are what things were, are and will
be. All things are equal because we all call them things. Your thing is
not my thing. My thing is not your thing. Still we each, individually
have the same thing as things go. Fundamentally, things can always be
better or worse.

We all experience things in living. Things are scattered out like so many puzzle
bits on a tile floor for us. The pieces all create a larger some thing,
or so we're told. Never mind the axiom that at times a thing is merely
only a thing. As we grow older some will forget their thing, or things.
Eventually we rise above that thing which holds us down.

Anyone seen my thing? Where did I put my thing? Confound it all, I keep
misplacing things.

VU Sponsors