Become a Patron!

Evolv to release DNA75 w Board?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You beat me too posting that. You are fast on the keyboard Tpat :D

Cheers,
Steve
OK, I guess it IS 1% then, and what I read regarding 10% is wrong. I apologize there @Tpat591

That, really does amaze me. I feel pretty safe knowing I have 4 devices that have less than a 1% failure rate-hopefully these are the mods that last the longest in my collection :).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
reddit maybe should have said 1% board failure, 9% failure from other causes... 10% total...
Yes-that is probably quite a likely figure, there could be many other causes for failure apart from the board, such as bad wiring (Hotcig, looking at you lol).

I should of took that into consideration, I did not think about that, but it makes sense :).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
DNA powered 75W 26650 device?! Yes please! My DNA200 mod I built is collecting dust since I own a VF Stout.
Feels wrong but my 4200 Efest 26650 perform absolutely great. Now theres a huge pile of 18650 devices and a LiPo mod Im not using at all :D
I can't say my DNA200's collect dust, as I would be lying, but I do think a 26650 powered DNA75 would be fantastic :).

I wonder how long exactly it will be until we can get out hands on the DNA75-as over here in the UK, some websites already have placeholders for it, for when it is available, so I can't imagine it will be that long.

Does anyone remember how long it took from hearing of the DNA200 in devices, to it's release?

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK, I guess it IS 1% then, and what I read regarding 10% is wrong. I apologize there @Tpat591

That, really does amaze me. I feel pretty safe knowing I have 4 devices that have less than a 1% failure rate-hopefully these are the mods that last the longest in my collection :).
To be fair I was only relating information that @Wingsfan0310 posted on another forum so I need to give him credit for being the source of said information. Sorry I beat you out in posting as your contributions to this thread are greatly appreciated and Your original post carried much more detail.

I know that Evolv sourced a new supplier of screens that will only work with the DNA200 and not the DNA40D. They have Red Tags on them from manufacturer instead of Green tags like the older screens they still carry that work with both the DNA200 and the DNA40D. That may account for the color change you see in your repaired unit.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To be fair I was only relating information that @Wingsfan0310 posted on another forum so I need to give him credit for being the source of said information. Sorry I beat you out in posting as your contributions to this thread are greatly appreciated and Your original post carried much more detail.

I know that Evolv sourced a new supplier of screens that will only work with the DNA200 and not the DNA40D. They have Red Tags on them from manufacturer instead of Green tags like the older screens they still carry that work with both the DNA200 and the DNA40D. That may account for the color change you see i your repaired unit.
It wasn't me, it was from a Mod/Admin on Evolv's forum (it was posted on a different forum though), I read it from the same post I believe. Thanks for the mention though :)

Cheers,
Steve

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You requested the Warranty in writing:
You got me wrong here buddy, i was talking about an official one year warranty on the finished DNA200 product by the actual manufacturer like Wismec, HCigar .. etc not on Evolv's board, what i meant was when the manufacturer is the actual purchaser of the board and you buy a finished mod, you are not officially entitled to receive warranty from Evolv directly according to their warranty policy, so if they do fix one of these mods on goodwill that does not mean they are obliged to do so, unless you actually purchase the board directly from them which is not the case, so i would like to see DNA200 based mods come with at least one year warranty on the entire product including the board.

A NOTE: to members who keep throwing around the stupid argument that "if you do not go out and buy a particular product you would not know how it works or compare to other products" in every conversation, and then end up not taking their own advice for it, they keep commenting on things they do not own and never intend to purchase!

1- There is a particular site that has been around for a long time called YouTube in case you do not realize that by now.
2- In that site there are two particular individuals called Phil Busardo (PBusardo) and Daniel (DJLsb Vapes)
3- These two individuals present information about products even their owners' would not have the ability to know about without advanced equipment and the willingness to take apart your shiny new product and void your warranty, which most products owners don't have or do.
4- These two individuals post very detailed technical information about a product including power/temp. charts and curves, detailed operations, battery charge/discharge performance, resistance reading and change and much much more ...
5- The very purpose of the work of these two individuals is that people would know everything with great performance details about a product BEFORE they actually go out and buy one.
6- These individuals reveal much more information about a product than most their owners know about, so even if you actually own the product you will learn much more about it by watching their testing and analysis.
7- You can use this data to compare the performance of two different products without actually having to go out and buy them.
8- With these facilities in place it would be stupid for anyone to just go out and buy a product just to test it when they can find out what exactly to expect before they make the actual purchase.

Now if someone owns a product under discussion and think that they are smarter or more knowledgeable than these two guys or have better testing procedures or equipment, and some other member (who does not own the product yet) comes out and discuss any of its features or performance parameters based on this extensive publicly available information, then that owner should objectively explain, illustrate and discuss the why, how, who when of things, throwing the same lame and lazy argument that "you do not own the product hence you know nothing about it" in every conversation is just stupid stupid stupid and does not help anyone whatsoever, it only shows that you either don't know much about it yourself, or you lack any communication skills to make what is in your head presentable, explainable and useful to others, i hope the next time i do not see this stupid argument being thrown around again and again ever in any conversation in the future, if you feel the urge to post just to write just that without adding any userful info, please do not post at all the next time.

Now for those who would not settle for anything less than actual solid data, lets do a $28 device vs. a $150 device without actually owning any of the two products:

A PBusardo Review - The DNA 200 - The EScribe Software: Here is the TC performance graph of a $150 DNA 200 device (Start from Minute 25:00)

Eleaf iStick TC100W Review + TC Charts + Power Charts + Disassembly + Firmware Upgrade: Here is the TC performance graph of a $28 Joyetech device (Start from Minute 27:00)

NOW CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHY ONE COSTS 5 TIMES MORE THAN THE OTHER? ok .. ok i know, the DNA 200 could cost as little as $120. yes i have heard this one before as well, so it costs 4 times more, or 3 times more, it does not really matter, one is significantly more expensive than the other and still performs very close, both manufacturers have the same business costs, R&D, manufacturing, design, logistics ... you name it.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It wasn't me, it was from a Mod/Admin on Evolv's forum (it was posted on a different forum though), I read it from the same post I believe. Thanks for the mention though :)

Cheers,
Steve
Thats right Retird posted it didn't he. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
LOL that is your useful comment about Joyetech chip performance vs. Evolv's chip performance based on the presented data? how does that help anyone? and why are you linking that thread here? you were just complaining few posts above about irrelevant posts .. pathetic :D

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@Vapomizer, I am in no way trying to say that there is not good devices, for a fraction of the cost of the DNA200, I own 19 regulated devices, 4 of which are DNA200's.

I must say, the IPV 5, my Cuboid, Evic VTC mini, IPV3 LI, sig 150TC ETC, all do a fantastic job at temperature control, and cost a lot less than the DNA200.

I understand there is graphs, showing the performance of other mods-I am not trying to say that other mods can not do a very, very good job at Temp control, as I enjoy them myself.

For me, it is more the customisation, and tinkering in Escribe, I am a bit geeky if I am honest, and I really enjoy finding the vape that I find perfect.
In essence, all of our mods do the same thing-vapourise Juice. With temp control, some do it much better than others, as you have shown.
I must say though, adjusting preheat, punch, finding CSV's or creating them, well, it is all part of the fun for me.
I understand a lot of people want a device, that works well, and does not require connection to a PC to change TCR for example. This is where the IPV 5, for example, is great-it is a lower priced mod, and performs very well.

I enjoy collecting mods though-and I always question "how does it compare to the DNA200" when I get it. A lot of the time, very well, other times, not so well.

I think that really it depends what you intend to do, if you want a device that works straight out of the box, which a lot of people DO want, or if you enjoy being able to go on your computer, and change a multitude of settings to get what you, personally, find to be perfect :).

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The numbers have read read in the past was well over 200,000 DNA200 out in the wild
WOW, that is actually a pretty small market share, making it a niche product, i tried to find the figure how many vapers are out there in the world but i could not find a particular figure, can't determine if the market size for these devices is small, medium or huge.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@Vapomizer, I am in no way trying to say that there is not good devices, for a fraction of the cost of the DNA200, I own 19 regulated devices, 4 of which are DNA200's.

I must say, the IPV 5, my Cuboid, Evic VTC mini, IPV3 LI, sig 150TC ETC, all do a fantastic job at temperature control, and cost a lot less than the DNA200.

I understand there is graphs, showing the performance of other mods-I am not trying to say that other mods can not do a very, very good job at Temp control, as I enjoy them myself.

For me, it is more the customisation, and tinkering in Escribe, I am a bit geeky if I am honest, and I really enjoy finding the vape that I find perfect.
In essence, all of our mods do the same thing-vapourise Juice. With temp control, some do it much better than others, as you have shown.
I must say though, adjusting preheat, punch, finding CSV's or creating them, well, it is all part of the fun for me.
I understand a lot of people want a device, that works well, and does not require connection to a PC to change TCR for example. This is where the IPV 5, for example, is great-it is a lower priced mod, and performs very well.

I enjoy collecting mods though-and I always question "how does it compare to the DNA200" when I get it. A lot of the time, very well, other times, not so well.

I think that really it depends what you intend to do, if you want a device that works straight out of the box, which a lot of people DO want, or if you enjoy being able to go on your computer, and change a multitude of settings to get what you, personally, find to be perfect :).
Thanks buddy, very well said and put, now that is one useful and honest opinion and exactly matches my views on this subject. :)

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
WOW, that is actually a pretty small market share, making it a niche product, i tried to find the figure how many vapers are out there in the world but i could not find a particular figure, can't determine if the market size for these devices is small, medium or huge.
Those numbers are dated but your right that it is a small market share due to the price point. Many, like yourself will not buy one. Nothing wrong with that and we all understand your point. It is made and understood. You seem to be getting upset and there is no reason to.

You asked about costs. They are a US small company. Labor and EPA compliance cost are huge in the States. Shipping as well. Escribe Software Development overhead for the DNA must be astronomical. Continuing software development and updates are costly. RMA repairs and shipping while correcting so many other manufacturers errors and failures are costs they have absorbed while the Chinese company that made the error walked away scott free of that cost. Now they have legal costs against a company that can afford to make this very costly indeed involved to the mix. These are only a few of the reasons why the are 3-4 times more expensive.

They are not pumping out 3,000 - 10,000 units a day like Joyetech from so many assembly lines. They do however stand behind what they manufacture and fix failures instead of controlling aftermarket support costs by telling someone with a malfunctioning authentic unit that they did not buy it from an approved vendor so they are out of luck or making the RMA process so costly and time consuming to seek a repair that most customers would be better off throwing that unit in the garbage than go through the process.

Can you afford to buy another cheap unit and throw the old one in the garbage two or three times for the cost of a DNA unit - sure can. Most of us would do just that. Some of us however would prefer to take those broken mods and try to figure out a way to modify the case so we could buy an Evolv chip and install it in that broken device giving it a new lease on life and enjoying the hobby of doing the work while saving quite a bit on an authentic device. The thought of showing off a black RX200 with a DNA200 in it is kind of satisfying. Nothing wrong with that either.

As 1409 said--"The perfect mod is the one you like the best, whichever one that is".

Last edited:

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"the perfect mod is the one you actually like the best whichever one that is."
Those numbers are dated but your right that it is a small market share due to the price point. Many, like yourself will not buy one. Nothing wrong with that and we all understand your point. It is made and understood. You seem to be getting upset and there is no reason to.

You asked about costs. They are a US small company. Labor and EPA compliance cost are huge in the States. Shipping as well. Escribe Software Development overhead for the DNA must be astronomical. Continuing software development and updates are costly. RMA repairs and shipping while correcting so many other manufacturers errors and failures are costs they have absorbed while the Chinese company that made the error walked away scott free of that cost. Now they have legal costs against a company that can afford to make this very costly indeed involved to the mix. These are only a few of the reasons why the are 3-4 times more expensive.

They are not pumping out 3,000 - 10,000 units a day like Joyetech from so many assembly lines. They do however stand behind what they manufacture and fix errors instead of controlling aftermarket support costs by telling someone with a malfunctioning authentic unit that they did not buy it from an approved vendor so they are out of luck or making the RMA process so costly and time consuming to seek a repair that most customers would rater throw that unit in the garbage than go through the process.

Can you afford to buy another cheap unit and throw the old one in the garbage two or three times for the cost of a DNA unit - sure can. Most of us would do just that. Some of us however would prefer to try to figure out a way to take those broken mods and try to figure out a way to modify the case so we could buy an Evolv chip and install it in that broken device giving it a new lease on life and enjoying the hobby of doing the work while saving quite a bit on an authentic device. Nothing wrong with that either.

As 1409 said--"The perfect mod is the one you like the best, whichever one that is".
Well said to both of you guys. I'd like to add there is no such thing as the perfect mod because we all have different wants and needs. What I might like someone else might not and I have no problem with that at all. What I do take issue with is when there is a thread dedicated to a certain mod. Is that some people who like a different competing product, decides to try and troll/disrupt the thread. If I like product x, I post in a thread about product x and talk about how much I like it. I don't go into a product y thread to rip it and say how much better product x is. Now threads that ask which do you think is better are fair game imo :D

PS It's almost baseball season and it's still freezing outside, I'm not a happy camper :eek:

Cheers,
Steve

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well said to both of you guys. I'd like to add there is no such thing as the perfect mod because we all have different wants and needs. What I might like someone else might not and I have no problem with that at all. What I do take issue with is when there is a thread dedicated to a certain mod. Is that some people who like a different competing product, decides to try and troll/disrupt the thread. If I like product x, I post in a thread about product x and talk about how much I like it. I don't go into a product y thread to rip it and say how much better product x is. Now threads that ask which do you think is better are fair game imo :D

PS It's almost baseball season and it's still freezing outside, I'm not a happy camper :eek:

Cheers,
Steve
I completely agree there is no 'perfect' mod, as we ALL have different wants and needs, and prefer different qualities to one another.

I think trolling is silly if I am honest, I don't know why anyone would do that, after all we are all vapers, who enjoy different things-we can discuss what we like and dislike, but I won't hate someone else's ideas of a great mod, if I don't like it myself, as like I said, we are all different, and want different things.

Threads where people ask "is this better than this mod" can be good, especially for newer vapers, who may be only starting out, and have no idea. You can give good guidance then, I usually recommend a mod that is liked by most people, not overly powerful, and a tank, plus a battery suggestion.

I try to make sure it is not a very expensive mod, as we know everyone is different, and that person's first mod will unlikely be their last-they will also find what they like themselves, and decide what they want or need in their next mod.

Baseball? We call that rounders over here, girls play it ;) (Only messing lol). It is still pretty cold over here in England too-definitely not feeling like spring yet.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Cheers,
Steve
Agreed, it is tedious in dedicated threads and causes others that follow to lose interest because they cannot find the information they seek without wading hip deep in derogatory comments.

Also agree that comparison threads are fair game and the proper forum for such venting and "discussion".

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
subjects like this often go south because no valid information is known anyway and we just guess, what-if, or spead rumors. only verified fact so far is that a dna75 will be coming. i call them hype threads.

this link kinda says it all at this juncture
http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/EVOLV-DNA75

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
IMO if it can use a single cell it should also be able to use an 18650 :) All though 75 watts on a single 18650 is pushing it!
I'm not a fan of 26650's :( I find there way too big and heavy, they take for ever to charge and don't yield much more battery life than an 18650 in comparison to the size difference.
I guess I can be called an Evolv "FanBoy" Cause I'm a big fan. That being said if there isn't some substantial improvements or new got to have features.
I see no need to replace my DNA200 with a 75 watt board just cause it can use a single cell :(
My 900mAH DNA 200's are plenty small, so the simple fact of a smaller size mod isn't working for me either.
Knowing Evolv and how their full of new innovations, I will have to wait and see what the 75 watt board brings to the table I'm hoping more that than just single cell capabilities

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
IMO if it can use a single cell it should also be able to use an 18650 :) All though 75 watts on a single 18650 is pushing it!
I'm not a fan of 26650's :( I find there way too big and heavy, they take for ever to charge and don't yield much more battery life than an 18650 in comparison to the size difference.
I guess I can be called an Evolv "FanBoy" Cause I'm a big fan. That being said if there isn't some substantial improvements or new got to have features.
I see no need to replace my DNA200 with a 75 watt board just cause it can use a single cell :(
My 900mAH DNA 200's are plenty small, so the simple fact of a smaller size mod isn't working for me either.
Knowing Evolv and how their full of new innovations, I will have to wait and see what the 75 watt board brings to the table I'm hoping more that than just single cell capabilities
I agree with you about my 900mah 3s lipo mods being small enough for my purposes. The only real advantage I can see is that changing out an 18650 is easier than changing a Lipo pack on the go. For me with 5 different DNA200 mods that isn't a problem either. I can grab two of the smaller ones or the 2 x 18650 or 3 x 1860 Reuleaux if I'm going to be out all day. I like to have all my bases covered ;)

PS I'm pretty sure most of the mods using the new board will be 18650 based, it's just Hcigar leaked a 26650 version first.

Cheers,
Steve

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This is an absolutely beautiful design, love at first sight, ergonomic and sexy as hell, any details about pricing? only problem is that it is 75W, i hope this was at least a 100W like the Presa, are you guys sure that the new board is capable of 133W? or anything above 75W?

How are max watts determined on Evolv boards? is it a hardware or a software lock? i am asking because since this is powered by a 26650 then it should be able to achieve 100W comfortably, can we set that in the software somehow?

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
probably photo shopped as no dna board ever has had the up/down buttons in that position. specifications shown are just a guess also. hype
Remember this is a brand new board, buttons location could have changed, and the pic is from Hcigar's official Facebook page so it should be real ...

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Love the looks of it, if was around $100, then would probably get one, but as HCigar and Evolve, probably be closer to $200 :(

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This is an absolutely beautiful design, love at first sight, ergonomic and sexy as hell, any details about pricing? only problem is that it is 75W, i hope this was at least a 100W like the Presa, are you guys sure that the new board is capable of 133W? or anything above 75W?

How are max watts determined on Evolv boards? is it a hardware or a software lock? i am asking because since this is powered by a 26650 then it should be able to achieve 100W comfortably, can we set that in the software somehow?
On the DNA200 boards, it's a 50amp constant output, 55amp pulse (maximum current output). With the new board, no one knows since it's just leaked information. I'm however fairly certain that it won't be quite that high with a single cell mod compared to a 3 cell mod.

Since the highest CDR cells I know of are 30 amps and most people use 20 amp CDR cells, you will really have to step up the current and down the voltage to reach those numbers. With it being a single cell mod, you are only starting with 4.2v to begin with at full charge not taking into account voltage sag while firing. Evolv isn't like most companies, they tend to rate there stuff at what it can do for the entire run, not just the first few puffs at a very limited resistance range.

PS If you look at Mooch's ratings of 26650's they really don't have a higher CDR that the best 18650's. My guess is more R&D has been done on 18650's than 26650's.because they are more popular.

Cheers,
Steve

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Love the looks of it, if was around $100, then would probably get one, but as HCigar and Evolve, probably be closer to $200 :(
I hope not $200, $100 would be perfect, otherwise i will be stuck with Joyetech :(

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Remember this is a brand new board, buttons location could have changed, and the pic is from Hcigar's official Facebook page so it should be real ...

could be different button locations but who knows?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know about that, my Hcigar VT200 was less than $120 shipped. Since this board is rumored to be ~$20 less I can see it being around $100 on sale. Of course this all speculation at this point.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Plus this one doesn't come with a Lipo so that should help with the final price as well

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

133w was speculation rumor from a DNA200 facebook group and is unconfirmed. Unlikely.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks a bunch for the info,

Since the highest CDR cells I know of are 30 amps and most people use 20 amp CDR cells
Does this apply to 26650 cells as well? i thought they could reach 35A CDR comfortably and the max 20-30A applies to 18650s, did i get this wrong?

PS If you look at Mooch's ratings of 26650's they really don't have a higher CDR that the best 18650's. My guess is more R&D has been done on 18650's than 26650's.because they are more popular.
Yes i noticed that 18650's are the most developed cells in the market, but why are manufacturers coming out with all these 26650 mods lately? just for the higher capacity benefit? max CDR of 26650's is still capped at 30A real CDR?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks a bunch for the info,

Does this apply to 26650 cells as well? i thought they could reach 35A CDR comfortably and the max 20-30A applies to 18650s, did i get this wrong?

Yes i noticed that 18650's are the most developed cells in the market, but why are manufacturers coming out with all these 26650 mods lately? just for the higher capacity benefit? max CDR of 26650's is still capped at 30A real CDR?
OK, I rarely do this but I have a link to Mooch's ratings for 26650's. I looked over the first page and from what I can see most are highly over-rated with 25 amp CDR estimated in the real world. I don't currently have a 26650 mod so I can't speak from personal experience. Here's the link if you want to look it over for yourself.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Here's a quote I snipped from the thread to illustrate what I was saying:
Ken said:
So no 26650s with cdr as high as the LG hb6?

Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Not in my estimates based on a 15A discharge. 25A was my max estimated CDR. One or more might make it to 30A when I do the full suite of continuous current tests in a few weeks.

That's what I was going by in my original post

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
OK, I rarely do this but I have a link to Mooch's ratings for 26650's. I looked over the first page and from what I can see most are highly over-rated with 25 amp CDR estimated in the real world. I don't currently have a 26650 mod so I can't speak from personal experience. Here's the link if you want to look it over for yourself.

Cheers,
Steve
That is disappointing, even worse than 18650 averages, this makes the picture a little confusing, why is Wismec making 100W devices based on this battery? why did Hcigar decided to use this instead of 18650 if there is no CDR benefit?

@raymo2u has a comprehensive battery rating table that he once posted in another thread, Ray could you please provide a link to that chart for CDR averages confirmation?

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Edit Here's a quote I snipped from the thread to illustrate what I was saying:
Ken said: ↑
So no 26650s with cdr as high as the LG hb6?
Sent from my M7_PLUS using Tapatalk
Not in my estimates based on a 15A discharge. 25A was my max estimated CDR. One or more might make it to 30A when I do the full suite of continuous current tests in a few weeks.
That's what I was going by in my original post
This data is sad actually, it means that all the people who buy these Wismec 26650 mods and pumping their devices to 100W are putting themselves at risk, if Evolv is actually testing the batteries and have decided to not run the board higher than 75W with them, then this could very much be true.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That is disappointing, even worse than 18650 averages, this makes the picture a little confusing, why is Wismec making 100W devices based on this battery? why did Hcigar decided to use this instead of 18650 if there is no CDR benefit?

@raymo2u has a comprehensive battery rating table that he once posted in another thread, Ray could you please provide a link to that chart for CDR averages confirmation?
Here ya go! I also re-uploaded them for others to open them in a new tab or save them..

18350 Chart:
18350 Battery Chart.jpeg
18650 Chart:
18650 Battery Chart.jpg
26650 Chart:
26650 Battery Chart.jpg

Attachments

• 18650 Battery Chart.jpg
    18650 Battery Chart.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 18350 Battery Chart.jpeg
    18350 Battery Chart.jpeg
    606.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 26650 Battery Chart.jpg
    26650 Battery Chart.jpg
    666.9 KB · Views: 13

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I don't know why, maybe I'm missing something. Could be with so many 18650 mods on the market a 26650 mods stand out. Maybe it's just they have a higher mah rating. My best research led me to believe that 18650's are better in general than 26650's so I never jumped on a 26650 mod. I'm a little uncomfortable giving advice on them since I haven't personally tried them, but I do trust Mooch when it comes to battery ratings.

PS What I mean by better is that for the size increase I don't see a comparative performance increase (26650's vs 18650's in CDR). One day I worked out the math in a Stout thread:
The volume for a 26650 is 34510.4 cubic mm (using 65mm as the height and 13mm as the radius)
The volume for a 18650 is 16640.5 cubic mm (using 65mm as the height and 9mm as the radius)

More than double the volume but nowhere near double the performance the way I see it, so I stuck with 18650's and 3s Lipos.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like I'm missing something, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I don't know why, maybe I'm missing something. Could be with so many 18650 mods on the market a 26650 mods stand out. Maybe it's just they have a higher mah rating. My best research led me to believe that 18650's are better in general than 26650's so I never jumped on a 26650 mod. I'm a little uncomfortable giving advice on them since I haven't personally tried them, but I do trust Mooch when it comes to battery ratings.

PS What I mean by better is that for the size increase I don't see a comparative performance increase (26650's vs 18650's in CDR). One day I worked out the math in a Stout thread:
The volume for a 26650 is 34510.4 cubic mm (using 65mm as the height and 13mm as the radius)
The volume for a 18650 is 16640.5 cubic mm (using 65mm as the height and 9mm as the radius)

More than double the volume but nowhere near double the performance the way I see it, so I stuck with 18650's and 3s Lipos.

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I feel like I'm missing something, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
The 18650 is the king of High Discharge and 26650 has better capacity but has a higher internal resistance...I never jumped on 26650 as I never saw the benefit, I just went with more 18650's when needed...

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
what were we discussing here?

customer demand, the same reason any industry changes a prduct.
you can double your run time, and add a little more max output without having to have a brick mod.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for the charts Ray, ok so same source (Mooch), same results, highest rated 26650s are only capable of 25A CDR

I feel like I'm missing something, but can't for the life of me figure out what it is.
Same feeling i have exactly, there is one missing piece of this puzzle, something we don't understand, i too don't know what it is.

Wismec coming up with all these 100W 26650 mods, Evolv/Hcigar using the same battery only limited to 75W, why didn't they just go with 18650's, i do not recognize any of the manufacturers names on these 26650, do not see any Sonys, LGs or Samsungs on the list, i fear what i don't understand and i truly don't understand what is going on here.

Now despite me loving the appearance of this mod and possibly also the price, there is much more missing information here maybe Evolv or Wismec can answer some of these questions? unfortunately i can not contact Evolv about this topic now since the NDA is still active .. only time will tell.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
I don't know about that, my Hcigar VT200 was less than $120 shipped. Since this board is rumored to be ~$20 less I can see it being around $100 on sale. Of course this all speculation at this point.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Plus this one doesn't come with a Lipo so that should help with the final price as well

That would be my guess too :) Around 100 sounds fair :) The new VT133 is going for 149.00 retail and 120.00 or less if you really look. I can see a single cell 75 watt mod being less money :)

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
you can double your run time, and add a little more max output without having to have a brick mod.
This is what i am struggling with here, according to Mooch's ratings the run time is not even near double it reaches a max 4500 mAh for 20A CDR 26650, that is about 1.5X runtime compared to 18650, where is the extra max output coming from? this data shows that going up to 100W with these batteries brings them into risky territory, what is going on? what is missing from this puzzle?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
This is what i am struggling with here, according to Mooch's ratings the run time is not even near double it reaches a max 4500 mAh for 20A CDR 26650, that is about 1.5X runtime compared to 18650, where is the extra max output coming from? this data shows that going up to 100W with these batteries brings them into risky territory, what is going on? what is missing from this puzzle?
check the chart again, I see a few 25a, 30a and 35a max cdr cells. (the red column) , and that is at 3000-4000 mah s you are adding some power and run time and keeping the mod not much bigger than a single 18650 mod the 26650 is smaller form factor than 2 18650s- quite honestly, the industry the industry should have gone this route early on rather than the 18650.
vt75 wil be about the size of an sxmini rather than the 133

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
xUFcf6V.jpg

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
check the chart again, I see a few 25a, 30a and 35a max cdr cells. (the red column) , and that is at 3000-4000 mah s you are adding some power and run time and keeping the mod not much bigger than a single 18650 mod the 26650 is smaller form factor than 2 18650s- quite honestly, the industry the industry should have gone this route early on rather than the 18650.
vt75 wil be about the size of an sxmini rather than the 133
You are right, the column in red marked as (MCA) is the absolute maximum you can draw before risking venting, the one in green marked as (CDR) is the "safe" maximum, so the Efest Purple and Green are actually capable of 35A continuous @ 4200mAh, now all started to make sense, Wismec is going for max power and Evolv is going for max safety, both exhibit some runtime benefit over a single 18650, now everything starts falling in place, thanks :)

The one remaining question, who is actually manufacturing these Efest 26650s?

VU Sponsors