Become a Patron!

Evolv to release DNA75 w Board?

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
You are right, the column in red marked as (MCA) is the absolute maximum you can draw before risking venting, the one in green marked as (CDR) is the "safe" maximum, so the Efest Purple and Green are actually capable of 35A continuous @ 4200mAh, now all started to make sense, Wismec is going for max power and Evolv is going for max safety, both exhibit some runtime benefit over a single 18650, now everything starts falling in place, thanks :)

The one remaining question, who is actually manufacturing these Efest 26650s?
LG or Samsung or Panasonic...is my guess.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You are right, the column in red marked as (MCA) is the absolute maximum you can draw before risking venting, the one in green marked as (CDR) is the "safe" maximum, so the Efest Purple and Green are actually capable of 35A continuous @ 4200mAh, now all started to make sense, Wismec is going for max power and Evolv is going for max safety, both exhibit some runtime benefit over a single 18650, now everything starts falling in place, thanks :)

The one remaining question, who is actually manufacturing these Efest 26650s?
hahaha
who know. efest rewrap everyones seconds, so their batteries are like chocolate covered mixed nuts. you never know what youre getting until its to late.

and yes, evlov, does try and err a little more on the side of safety than some of the the Chinese boards.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
hahaha
who know. efest rewrap everyones seconds, so their batteries are like chocolate covered mixed nuts. you never know what youre getting until its to late.

and yes, evlov, does try and err a little more on the side of safety than some of the the Chinese boards.
LOL, like the chocolate analogy, hilarious :D

LG or Samsung or Panasonic...is my guess.
So where are the originals then? re-wrappers buy them all? :confused:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
still wanna see evolv ad a preheat Kanthal boost If they did that on a 75w board, It would be an immediate addition to the stable.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
still wanna see evolv ad a preheat Kanthal boost If they did that on a 75w board, It would be an immediate addition to the stable.
They could do that any time they wanted from Escribe but I think they may be concerned about ramifications of what less experienced vapors could do with that setting. Have you made the suggestion on the Early Adopters Forum?

Nailz

FUCK the FDA
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Is the escrible for the TC part of the mod? I just use kanthal and just want to set wattage and vape, not mess around linking to a computer and working out all different settings, that would put me off it.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is the escrible for the TC part of the mod? I just use kanthal and just want to set wattage and vape, not mess around linking to a computer and working out all different settings, that would put me off it.
I don't know how it will be for the 75 watt chip. For the DNA200 you can adjust wattage from the mod in power mode. Escribe lets you add custom screens, adjust preheat in TC, add different curves for TC wire not already programed in. You use it to update the chip and it also has a device monitor so you can see exactly whats going on as you take a puff - power being applied, voltage sag, temperature being maintained, etc.

The short answer is you really wouldn't need it for Power mode.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Once you set up your materials tab and 8 user profiles (or how many you want/need) you really don't need it for TC either unless you want to update the firmware. It's there if you want to tinker, but not necessary if you don't. Hope that helps.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
escribe is kind of like a the Nerd part of the mod. You can
They could do that any time they wanted from Escribe but I think they may be concerned about ramifications of what less experienced vapors could do with that setting. Have you made the suggestion on the Early Adopters Forum?
yeah, I got that same answer from james.
I call poppycock on that. That's like prorape saying that an 18650 cant handle 50watts. Even prorape has a Kanthal boost function, as did the last evic tube mod and the sxj. Let alone the contradiction of the statement itself. An inexperienced vapor can go in and change everything for temp control - including a templimiting boost function but not one for power?

I'm sorry, but that crackerjack answer from james is a load of manure.-- and quite frankly an insult.

Last edited:

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can't say my DNA200's collect dust, as I would be lying, but I do think a 26650 powered DNA75 would be fantastic :).

I wonder how long exactly it will be until we can get out hands on the DNA75-as over here in the UK, some websites already have placeholders for it, for when it is available, so I can't imagine it will be that long.

Does anyone remember how long it took from hearing of the DNA200 in devices, to it's release?
In the end its the 26650 devices that are really surprising me. I started 1,5 years ago with vaping and from day one people told me that efest batteries are shit and I built up a nice collection of mechanical 18650 mods and a few regulated 18650 mods.
Then the Dna200 came and I built myself a 1300mah LiPo dna200 mod and thought this is it. A few months later the only mod im using is a 26650 mod with a bloody efest battery. Long story short, single-26650-mods are great. Who cares where the chip comes from, as long as it vapes nice for you?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In the end its the 26650 devices that are really surprising me. I started 1,5 years ago with vaping and from day one people told me that efest batteries are shit and I built up a nice collection of mechanical 18650 mods and a few regulated 18650 mods.
Then the Dna200 came and I built myself a 1300mah LiPo dna200 mod and thought this is it. A few months later the only mod im using is a 26650 mod with a bloody efest battery. Long story short, single-26650-mods are great. Who cares where the chip comes from, as long as it vapes nice for you?
That is very true, who actually cares where the chip come from if you enjoy it? :).

I vaped on/off on egos, unsuccessfully, when mechs were the other option-I had no idea what I was doing then, so stayed away.
Fast forward to last year, and I got my first regulated mod (Sigelei 30W mini).

I was also told to stay away from Efest batteries, but the only batteries I could get for my 26650 mechs in the UK ended up being Efests, I don't build super low, so I use them.

What mods do you use your 26650 Efests in?

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That is very true, who actually cares where the chip come from if you enjoy it? :).

I vaped on/off on egos, unsuccessfully, when mechs were the other option-I had no idea what I was doing then, so stayed away.
Fast forward to last year, and I got my first regulated mod (Sigelei 30W mini).

I was also told to stay away from Efest batteries, but the only batteries I could get for my 26650 mechs in the UK ended up being Efests, I don't build super low, so I use them.

What mods do you use your 26650 Efests in?
I only use them in the Vape-Forward Stout, and they last forever, vaping at 40W 225C° for 1,5 days minimum. The 1300mah Lipo Dna200 lasts 1 day maximum with the same settings.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I only use them in the Vape-Forward Stout, and they last forever, vaping at 40W 225C° for 1,5 days minimum. The 1300mah Lipo Dna200 lasts 1 day maximum with the same settings.
have you checked your battery settings in escribe? I get a day and half -2days with the 900mah at 45w

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
have you checked your battery settings in escribe? I get a day and half -2days with the 900mah at 45w
That is some really good battery life there, I find that my 900MAH DNA200 lasts about as long as a single 18650 mod.
I can get a full day out of my Efusion with the 1300MAH Li-Po, sometimes a little more.
I tend to vape around 40-50W, so I might take a look at my own battery settings, I am sure they are the manufacturers settings though, maybe my preheat and punch might play a role in battery life?

I do find it odd that most people get a lot longer life with Li-Po's than I do, the only other thing I can think of is I am vaping more than others :s.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is some really good battery life there, I find that my 900MAH DNA200 lasts about as long as a single 18650 mod.
I can get a full day out of my Efusion with the 1300MAH Li-Po, sometimes a little more.
I tend to vape around 40-50W, so I might take a look at my own battery settings, I am sure they are the manufacturers settings though, maybe my preheat and punch might play a role in battery life?

I do find it odd that most people get a lot longer life with Li-Po's than I do, the only other thing I can think of is I am vaping more than others :s.
You can adjust how long your display stays on after firing. It comes from the factory set at 60 seconds. I took mine down to 30 might even bring it down further. Every little bit helps if you are trying to squeeze out more runtime.

Cheers,
Steve

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

if I'm dripping above 50w and have the punch set high then I will get 6 hours before I'm charging again (about 3/4 empty). once I get to about 80w I start looking for something with more battery life; because, i'll only get a few hours out of it.
but as an adv, around 43w, with a 7.5 reheat punch at 58w I'm good to go that long. - also I am not sucking on it like a pacifier like I once was.
like @wings said, my screen is set to stay on for only 1sec, and the brightness is kicked way down to 40%

edit- the ability to set so many parameters of the screen are a major part of what make the dna worth the cost of admission for me.

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ahh-My screen is set to fade after around 30 Seconds I think-I will change that in Escribe, and see if that helps.

I also have my preheat set at around 60W for NI200, around 80W for TI, the same for SS.
Maybe bringing the preheat down a little will help-I find that my Wismec gets a lot more use due to the battery life than my other DNA200's, but if I can squeeze some more life out of them, while still getting a vape I enjoy, it is worth it, so I can enjoy them all fully.

And @f1r3b1rd - I completely agree, all of the parameters are what drew me to the DNA200 as well, so much that you can change, and I like tinkering in Escribe, that makes them worth the cost to me too :)

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I is important to realize that generally Buck circuits like in the DNA200 tend to be more efficient electrically than boost circuits which will be necessary in the DN75. Battery life in single 18650 mods may wind up being less than the expectations of many with the DNA75 in comparison to the DNA200.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mod is being released at a price point $30 higher than I thought it would be. We will see how that works out for them.
http://www.efun.top/hcigar-vt75-box-mod.html
That's a little bit disappointing. Then again it is the first place I've seen it listed and it is a pre-order. Hoping to see it go on sale in the future for around $100. Heck I got my VT200 for under $120 shipped and that came with the 3s Lipo.

Cheers,
Steve

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
that's about what I thought.. just because it doesn't push the same amount of power doesn't mean the board costs less

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
that's about what I thought.. just because it doesn't push the same amount of power doesn't mean the board costs less
From the couple of places that were putting up place holders for the board in the UK, they were saying $60 US. That's $20 less and with no 3s Lipo on top of that. I'm hoping to see it in the $100 range, at least on a sale.

Cheers,
Steve

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
my guess would be. the retail for the board alone would be in the 70-80$ range so 100 for the mod would be a shock to me

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the looks of the vt75 and a 26650 battery. Wonder about the board and what it does as no one seems to know yet. Anybody know?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like the looks of the vt75 and a 26650 battery. Wonder about the board and what it does as no one seems to know yet. Anybody know?
So far I think we are all just guessing. I'm wondering if it will be compatible with Escribe myself (I'm assuming it will but have no confirmation of that).

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find myself using my hCigar VT133 and Reuleaux DNA 200 a lot more than I use the VT200 because of the ease of changing batteries and their availability. I am not familiar with the 26650 battery life and was curious about how it compares battery life wise to 2 18650's. After seeing the price on this 26650 model there would have to be a real advantage to it for me to consider it. I was like @Wingsfan0310 and hoping that it would sell for about $100 or a little less.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I find myself using my hCigar VT133 and Reuleaux DNA 200 a lot more than I use the VT200 because of the ease of changing batteries and their availability. I am not familiar with the 26650 battery life and was curious about how it compares battery life wise to 2 18650's. After seeing the price on this 26650 model there would have to be a real advantage to it for me to consider it. I was like @Wingsfan0310 and hoping that it would sell for about $100 or a little less.
It's funny if I'm going out for the day I usually grab the DX200 (with the 2 x 18650 battery compartment) or the Reuleaux for longer battery life combined with the ability to bring extra 18650's along if needed. All other times I use the Lavabox's or VT200 because they are smaller, easier to pocket, etc. When one is discharged I just switch to another and plug it in. What I'm saying is I prefer the smaller form factor of my 3s Lipo DNA200's.

Cheers,
Steve

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Evolv still has not released any info that I am aware of on the DNA75 other than to publicly acknowledge its existence.

my guess would be. the retail for the board alone would be in the 70-80$ range so 100 for the mod would be a shock to me
Price point on placeholders on websites are consistent suggesting a Retail of $58 - $60 for the Board itself. These prices would not be posted at all without having examined the MSRP Evolv intends. (Joyetech charges around $60 for their chip alone).

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
joyetech is making a mint at that price

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I like the smaller form factor as I vape less than 5ml per day so a 3 cell lipo lasts me about 6 hours and a 26650 may go a bit more. The VT75 looks like the battery is easily changed during the day.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years

Those results are the exact opposite of my experience :( My 1300 mAH lipos last all day :)
I would need at least 2 26650's to last that long :(
I only have 1 26650 mod an sx350j chip I use an Mnke 26650, it don't last much longer than a VTC5 :(
I run all my atty's about the same 40 to 45 watts dual coil Ti @ .1ish ohms
To hear a single cell 26650 last longer than a 3s 1300 mAH lipo, Makes me wonder were I could get one of these Magic! 26650's :)

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I'm not saying its the reason, but the sx350j is a HUGE battery killer! also there are some ways to better manage battery life in the dna.

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Those results are the exact opposite of my experience :( My 1300 mAH lipos last all day :)
I would need at least 2 26650's to last that long :(
I only have 1 26650 mod an sx350j chip I use an Mnke 26650, it don't last much longer than a VTC5 :(
I run all my atty's about the same 40 to 45 watts dual coil Ti @ .1ish ohms
To hear a single cell 26650 last longer than a 3s 1300 mAH lipo, Makes me wonder were I could get one of these Magic! 26650's :)
Well Im using the purple 4200mah Efest 26650s, my Dna200 Lipo is a Turnigy A-Spec G2 which is down from 1300 to 1220mah after a few months of use. I turned all the display functions down to save as much energy as possible but the stout outruns it by half a day (using said Efest 26650).
Maybe the stout uses the battery better, I dont know, I just can say that with the same atty and the same build, it lasts longer.
My flatmate goes through 3-4 18650s using his sigelei 75w tc mod in the same time :D

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
I'm not saying its the reason, but the sx350j is a HUGE battery killer! also there are some ways to better manage battery life in the dna.
Have to agree :) Battery life with my SX Mini M isn't to good either :(

Well Im using the purple 4200mah Efest 26650s, my Dna200 Lipo is a Turnigy A-Spec G2 which is down from 1300 to 1220mah after a few months of use. I turned all the display functions down to save as much energy as possible but the stout outruns it by half a day (using said Efest 26650).
Maybe the stout uses the battery better, I dont know, I just can say that with the same atty and the same build, it lasts longer.
My flatmate goes through 3-4 18650s using his sigelei 75w tc mod in the same time :D

You must of got lucky? I personally would Never! buy Efest batteries. They are notorious rerapers & you never know what your buying :(

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If the Efest is really 4200mah then that's (4.2 x 3.7) 15.54 Wh. The Turnigy would be (11.1 x 1.22) 13.54 Wh so it makes sense you would get a touch better runtime. As far as the boards go the DNA200 is 97% efficient, I have no idea about the Joyetech board but I would doubt it's more efficient than 97%

Cheers,
Steve

Psychedelic Biscuit

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Have to agree :) Battery life with my SX Mini M isn't to good either :(

You must of got lucky? I personally would Never! buy Efest batteries. They are notorious rerapers & you never know what your buying :(
The 4200 efest 26650 (green and purple) are legit. Mooch tested them, I was really suspicious too because I learned from day one that you should never buy Efest crap but well they do work great. Of course they are no real 40A tho.

steamer861

Member For 4 Years
This is quote from Mooch's review of the 4200 efest

Efest Purple 40A 4200mAh
One of the two cells I purchased performed much worse than the others. The other three, including the two from Liion Wholesale, were very consistent though so pulse testing was done. All four cells were confirmed as authentic. Buy at your own risk, I do not know how many bad cells are out there. The good cells were in the top five best performing of this group of 26650's though. I gave it a continuous rating of 25A (estimated). Its long length of 67.4mm means some VF Stout users could have problems fitting this cell in their device.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Apparently the guys from plumes of hazard are beta testers for the DNA75, unfortunately they didn't really say anything on their show.
They had beta units, but didn't want to give out any information because it is very early in beta testing and a lot can change between now and when the board is released.

Sounds like the Beta Testing is currently under way.

Last edited:

Chainvapor

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The answer is one word : GREED!!!!!

Uh, I am so sick of the "GREED" remark. Go start you own freaking company and givaway your shit without making a profit and see how far you get. Go price out a pick & Place machine and the tooling for it. Then pay someone to set it up and get it running correctly. Now pay someone to program the boards. Now pay a team for R&D to try and improve your product. Their boards are not overpriced at all. Could they lower the price a little, sure they probably could. But would you? If you took all the risk in starting your own company, I can guarantee you would make as much off it as you could. It is called the reward for major risk and countless hours of work.

CV

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's a little bit disappointing. Then again it is the first place I've seen it listed and it is a pre-order. Hoping to see it go on sale in the future for around $100. Heck I got my VT200 for under $120 shipped and that came with the 3s Lipo.

Cheers,
Steve
If the first we are seeing of this is at 124.00 I would give it a few and they will get cheaper and cheaper.

I agree with this, but a variable is the quantity in which they are purchased. The more purchased the lower the cost and and so is the lower that a mod can be sold for since the material cost is reduced.

One thing about many vaping companies they kind of have a race to the bottom philosophy when it comes to pricing. Of course our ever changing interests and expectations as consumers help drive this trend as well as the competition they face.

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Beta testers have been given clearance to talk about the DNA75 in general terms so information will hopefully start to flow soon.
upload_2016-4-8_20-53-43-png.545682
upload_2016-4-8_20-58-3-png.545683

Pics of DNAA75 Reference mods from POH#116

Tpat591

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Lets sum up what we know for sure now about the DNA75:
  • It is currently in active Beta Testing.
  • Target retail price at a lower price point than the DNA200 - Around $60 Retail.
  • Works in 1S battery modes for use with a single battery cell.
  • It is not a DNA40 Form Factor.
  • Works with Escribe.
  • Shares same mounting screw hole configuration with the DNA200.
  • Shares Same ON Board Button configuration as the DNA200.
  • Shares same width as the DNA200.
  • Is a drop in replacement for a DNA200 so it can share DNA200 Bezels and mounts currently available..
  • Does not use a JST balanced charging plug so it is slightly shorter at the bottom of the board.
Anyone heard anything else?

upload_2016-4-10_15-18-54.png

Last edited:

VU Sponsors