Become a Patron!

FlavourArt Club ... formally known as the PureVapes thread

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The neares TJs is about 45 minutes away. If I don't run across any soon I will look there. Is the stevia at TJs a store brand? I'm gonna ask at my B&M next time I'm there.

Yes, I think it is! I can't check the label, because I don't have any in my kitchen cupboard at the moment - but I'm pretty sure it was a TJ label.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did you try Packaging Options Direct? That's where I bought my bottles from last year!

Plus 1 ^^^^ Great site to get glass bottles from. I get 30's and 120's ( 1oz and 4 oz) there. You can choose caps or droppers or no caps at all. RP has to remind me where I get these from every few months.. ( bad memory) I use to order from amazon or ebay, they this place is better.
http://packagingoptionsdirect.com/?...d_cxp67loim0yu4z-kbq5_lgm29tz0fanhrocdcfw_wcb

I still get my plastic from ebay via china. So cheap for 10 and 30ml dropper bottles. I pay 7 bucks for 50 of the 10 ml plastic dropper bottles.

Daintanee

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Disregard, I didn't read far enough in!!
Can someone shed some lite on this please! When a recipe calls for x amount of AP I use it full strength which is 5% listed on the bottle.
Thanks,
Dana
Dana, that is what I've always done. @HeadInClouds is quite specific as he writes up his recipes..for example explaining how to dilute fa honey. Never once has he mentioned dilution, only where to purchase. I know that people @Huckleberried have have had issues using it with nicotine that is not from vaporstek...getting a frito or burnt taste. And some flavors certain people just don't tolerate well. This is the first time I have seen @Dixie1954 chart. But I do believe that when a recipe with acetyl pyrazine is posted it is not diluted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You are correct Daintanee. Use it straight from the bottle as the recipie states. If someone does it any other way, they are way above my pay grade.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Dana, that is what I've always done. @HeadInClouds is quite specific as he writes up his recipes..for example explaining how to dilute fa honey. Never once has he mentioned dilution, only where to purchase. I know that people @Huckleberried have have had issues using it with nicotine that is not from vaporstek...getting a frito or burnt taste. And some flavors certain people just don't tolerate well. This is the first time I have seen @Dixie1954 chart. But I do believe that when a recipe with acetyl pyrazine is posted it is not diluted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I use the dilution as it is sold by TFA - I don't make a further dilution of it before measuring (as I do with some other flavors).
Some people really can't stand it, no matter what.
The best test in my opinion is this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-toblerone-chocolate-bar.23656/ . If you are still gagging at acetyl pyrazine using 1.5% (right out of the bottle) in that recipe - you may as well just give up ever getting any use from it. Even if it doesn't work for you in Swiss Bliss, try Toblerone before you totally throw in the towel.

vegaslineman

Member For 4 Years
Ummm, nope real sexy Tball! And that mask, it's sexy too! You know like Barman sexy! Haha! Today is my bday and my daughter got me a card that says not another year older, another year sexier. Next post is my bottom to prove it!
Happy Bday Daintanee!!
Love love LOVE Vapemail! Got my first order of FA flavors today, was actually the second order but USPS beat UPS by several days from the Carolinas. Didn't have but 20 in this order, but whipped up a cherry coke. From reading through all the thread I thought HICs recipes might not be strong enough for my wore out taste buds but his cherry coke was perfect for an ADV

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use the dilution as it is sold by TFA - I don't make a further dilution of it before measuring (as I do with some other flavors).
Some people really can't stand it, no matter what.
The best test in my opinion is this recipe: http://vapingunderground.com/threads/hics-toblerone-chocolate-bar.23656/ . If you are still gagging at acetyl pyrazine using 1.5% (right out of the bottle) in that recipe - you may as well just give up ever getting any use from it. Even if it doesn't work for you in Swiss Bliss, try Toblerone before you totally throw in the towel.

Mmmmm... Your Toblerone and Swiss Bliss are so bad ass.

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy Bday Daintanee!!
Love love LOVE Vapemail! Got my first order of FA flavors today, was actually the second order but USPS beat UPS by several days from the Carolinas. Didn't have but 20 in this order, but whipped up a cherry coke. From reading through all the thread I thought HICs recipes might not be strong enough for my wore out taste buds but his cherry coke was perfect for an ADV

Your so lucky. You get to discover all those great flavors. Heck yeah !!!

I know Im preaching to the choir here, but for all of you out there that only read these post and never jump in here, Shake your flavors before you use them....every time. So important with some flavors.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Ok all! I have nf organic ginger now. Washing bottles tonight. What recipe to whip up? Suggestions most welcome...eyeing the puckered up ginger ale!

Yeah, Birthday Girl - make one where it's ginger ale first. Then one bakery type. That way you'll see how it goes from fresh and snappy to warm and spicy, and you'll be inspired to make all kinds of new stuff.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Shake your flavors before you use them....every time. So important with some flavors.

YES! Even the perfectly clear flavors, like Apricot and Strawberry.

I got stung by that myself recently. I just couldn't taste Apricot. 2%...3%...4%...why can't I taste - oh, oooops. And it took some vigorous shaking, too. That bottle had been untouched for a couple of months. I think the PG was just floating on top, though you can't see the layers with that one.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Happy Birthday Daintanee! I think you need a Birthday Cake Vape. I'm working on it... maybe I'll figure one out by next year. :rolleyes: Wishing you the best anyway.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
YES! Even the perfectly clear flavors, like Apricot and Strawberry.

I got stung by that myself recently. I just couldn't taste Apricot. 2%...3%...4%...why can't I taste - oh, oooops. And it took some vigorous shaking, too. That bottle had been untouched for a couple of months. I think the PG was just floating on top, though you can't see the layers with that one.

Maybe that's the problem I've always had with Apricot? I have a fairly new, untouched bottle, so I'll try that one (original was from RTS).

Smokachino

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Happy Birthday Daintanee! I think you need a Birthday Cake Vape. I'm working on it... maybe I'll figure one out by next year. :rolleyes: Wishing you the best anyway.

Happy Birthday, Daintanee!! All the best to you on your special day :) Please let us know what you make with that ginger!

@caddisfly Yes! We need a birthday cake vape, but before next year. My birthday is in October, so will that give you enough time? :D

Dixie1954

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
OH I'm so sorry to have confused people. My post is for the ones who have trouble using AP right out of the bottle. I should have made myself clear.:( But that chart I listed was for everyone since it shows tank crackers also:D Happy Happy Birthday Daintanee:cool:

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Happy Birthday, Daintanee!! All the best to you on your special day :) Please let us know what you make with that ginger!

@caddisfly Yes! We need a birthday cake vape, but before next year. My birthday is in October, so will that give you enough time? :D
With Daintanees and your help, Yes!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Daintaneeeeeeeeee!!!! Happy Birthday, lady!! I hope you had the best day ever.

Yes, my issues with AP are with any nic I've tried, so far. So my issue with AP is me, sadly. I did make a dilution of the same kind all of you have from TFA. Cramptholomew suggested that to me. I'm GOING to get those chocolate candies one way or another. You hear me, AP??

BuddJohnson

Member For 4 Years
We recently ordered some Vienna Cream directly from FA in Italy and are a bit concerned with the chemically smell it has. We have both been test smelling this flavor for several days and are both in agreeance on this. There is no hint of a caramel or a vanilla in it and it could almost be described as a nail polish remover smell. We didn't notice this smell with the 3ml sample bottle we received from a local ecig flavor supplier awhile back.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Could this be due to the freshness of the mix?
What does this flavor smell like to others?
Thnxx
Budd

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
We recently ordered some Vienna Cream directly from FA in Italy and are a bit concerned with the chemically smell it has. We have both been test smelling this flavor for several days and are both in agreeance on this. There is no hint of a caramel or a vanilla in it and it could almost be described as a nail polish remover smell. We didn't notice this smell with the 3ml sample bottle we received from a local ecig flavor supplier awhile back.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Could this be due to the freshness of the mix?
What does this flavor smell like to others?
Thnxx
Budd

Sometimes freshly mixed flavorings also need some time to steep.
Although if it took a month to get it from Italy that shouldn't be the problem.
You could always try venting it with the lid and cap off for 24 hrs, it might help.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
The fragrance of my bottle has that unusual fragrance, too. It did when I got it, still does. I've not had any problems with the flavor, though.

When I first tried it standalone, I couldn't figure out the taste, but then I found myself returning to it all day, lol. I use it in a lot of mixes anywhere from 0.5% up to 2%. When I want a vanilla in a mix, that's just a bit more... creamy? refined?, over a plain vanilla, I go for this one. In the recipes section, it's also used in a lot of mixes with vanilla classic. Ymmv, but I hope that helps a bit.

Echamberlain

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hi Daintanee. I have 2 dripping atomizers I use for testing. An Atomic built with 28g wire at 1.4 ohms, and a Venturi built with 24g wire at .6 ohms. Both are know for their superior flavor production. These are on a Sigelei 100 and 150 respectively. The only conclusion I can draw when testing side by side is that the warmer vape (the subohm) seems to have noticeably better flavor with the juice I tested. I tested both at 18 watts and also switched boxes. It still holds.

That was one juice containing maple syrup, custard, cake batter, and caramel. With other juices I don't know what will happen as this is the first time I did a side by side with both atomizers. If I find any big differences with other juices I'll let you know.

Not much to go on, I know. I believe Smoky Blue is right and you are going to have to find out for yourself.

Edit. I didn't answer your question, did I? I'll try. I understand that some flavors don't do well or burn at high temps. I believe HIC said that happens to FA cocoa. I also know from the commons here and on Vapors TV that cloud chasers often use toned down juices so that the flavor hit isn't too much for them. Less flavor required? I suppose. Well, that didn't help much either. :rolleyes:
If you are going to test how a juice taste with a sub ohm set up remember that most people using the new sub tanks are vaping at hire wattage, I know I vape my orchid with a .5 coil between 28 and 40 watts depending on the juice that I am using and I vape at lower wattage then a lot of sub ohm users. Someone using a .5 ohm build on a mech mod would be at 35 watts with a full 18650 battery and about 27 watts for most of the battery life.

2ndInCommand

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hey so I got a few INW flavors here I'm never gonna use. Tobaccos that i just wasn't getting anything from and a couple others can't remember which off the top of my head Found the INW just isn't really for me i think Anyway there's like 7 or 8 I think plus I gotnliken100 ml of their base also Free to a good home. Shoot me a pm. Going to bed now gotta be to work at like midnight, but ill check in tomm.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey so I got a few INW flavors here I'm never gonna use. Tobaccos that i just wasn't getting anything from and a couple others can't remember which off the top of my head Found the INW just isn't really for me i think Anyway there's like 7 or 8 I think plus I gotnliken100 ml of their base also Free to a good home. Shoot me a pm. Going to bed now gotta be to work at like midnight, but ill check in tomm.
@Artemis?
@RocketPuppy?

Typos brought to you by: iPhone.

Smokachino

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Question? Was going to make HICs middle of mounds but don't have sucralose. Not familiar with it as a sweetener, will EM or stevia work?

I've never used sucralose, but I occasionally use organic liquid Stevia. Don't see why it wouldn't work for this recipe. Just be careful, though, as a little goes a looooooong way. I usually put a tiny bit on the end of a toothpick and swirl it in and just add more if needed. EM may work OK, but I think I'd try the Stevia first. Let us know how it works out, as I don't have any sucralose, either, and Middle of Mounds sounds yummy!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Question? Was going to make HICs middle of mounds but don't have sucralose. Not familiar with it as a sweetener, will EM or stevia work?

Yes, EM can work as a sweetener but it also imparts some flavor; it is commonly used in place of cotton candy flavoring. I would try it at the recommended % specified for sucralose or perhaps a little less.

I've never used stevia myself but I have heard of others using it. I think it requires some dilution however if I'm not mistaken.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you are going to test how a juice taste with a sub ohm set up remember that most people using the new sub tanks are vaping at hire wattage, I know I vape my orchid with a .5 coil between 28 and 40 watts depending on the juice that I am using and I vape at lower wattage then a lot of sub ohm users. Someone using a .5 ohm build on a mech mod would be at 35 watts with a full 18650 battery and about 27 watts for most of the battery life.
What you say is true. What I left out is I am developing the recipes for use in a tank at 1-1.5 ohm. That setup (an Orchard and a Billow) I carry around with me when I go to work. I crank up the wattage on the .5 build occasionally to make sure that nothing odd goes on with the juice. I also have a Mutation X built at .3 ohms that sees regular use at home, but, mostly I like the 18 watt level for deciding on flavors and amounts.

You're right though, the flavor is definitely affected by the higher wattage.

Oggy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
To me it seems like most flavors have a sweet spot. One of my ADV is a Castle long clone that I cannot use for sub ohm builds. I will say that most of the FA recipes seem to do better at a wider range of power. Guessing this is from the lower amount of flavors used.

caddisfly

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I got my first Mama J's orders today. Everything arrived in good shape. I ordered late Monday and it is here on Thursday. That is great time. I love the bottles they come in. I've been buying the same bottles empty for my juices and i know they aren't cheap. Thank you Mama J's.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I may be missing something here, but I don't recall @HeadInClouds ever using a sweetener in a recipe?

ssshhh...we all have a skeleton in the closet. There were a few times I couldn't find a way around sweeteners.

I remember that, trying to get FA or any other coconut to actually taste as sweet as the bagged, shredded, sweetened stuff. I could get it with sucraslose-based sweeteners (@vegaslineman - like this stuff: http://www.bullcityvapor.com/search.php?search_query=sweetener&x=0&y=0 ) but most people don't care for the aftertaste. These days, I'd use other sweeter flavorings instead (like in Girl Scout Samoas). Sticking with only FA, I'd rely on Marshmallow plus Meringue. In all cases, clean nic and high VG lend a hand.

vegaslineman

Member For 4 Years
Last time I tried sweet coconut, I was using WL nic and never got results that really satisfied me. Could have been the nic, could have been my ingredients. I'm using VT nic now. I am at long last satisfied with sweet coconut. Only 3 ingredients plus sweetener - give it try!

Middle of Mounds
2% FA Coconut, 1% FA Meringue, 1% FA Marshmallow, 1-2% Sucralose sweetener (start with 1%; IMO Sucralose is totally necessary)
or for stronger flavor: 3% FA Coconut, 1.5% FA Meringue, 1.5% FA Marshmallow, 1.5-3% Sucralose sweetener (always start low)
Mix as strong/weak as you like, keeping the ratios the same. Definitely vape this fresh-mixed; Sucralose can lose sweetness as it ages (which is why I usually avoid it in my recipes).

what didn't work:
Marzipan, Torrone, Almond - can be very tasty, but almond doesn't belong in Mounds (just add Almond for Almond Joy goop flavor)
Meringue alone is too bright; Marshmallow alone isn't bright enough and adds too much background vanilla.
It wasn't near sweet enough even with my max-VG base - until I added Sucralose.
Use a clean coil (d'oh, that messed me up for a while).

why it works
Here are Mounds ingredients. Ignoring the chocolate, it's just corn syrup, coconut, sugar - plus <2% salt, vanilla/vanillin, hydrolyzed milk protein. Corn syrup and sugars are the the main ingredients in marshmallows. That's why Marshmallow belongs. Hydrolyzed milk protein is used as a binder in commercial candies (just like in cheap hamburger patties, yum). In cooking, egg whites do that. Candy can always use more sugar. Egg whites and sugar make meringue, so that's why Meringue belongs. An equal balance of FA Marshmallow and Meringue gets the vanilla right. There's actually more corn syrup than coconut in the real candy, and the only way to make vapes that sweet is with sweetener. It just didn't pop for me until I added it, but I'm really happy with it now. I'm using just under 3% to satisfy my sweet tooth. If you hate Sucralose....it just won't be sweet enough without it. I suppose you could try ethyl maltol ('cotton candy') instead, but I think it might mess up the flavor.

By the way, lick a drop of mixed liquid off your finger - YUM!

disclaimer: I sadly do not have a Mounds bar to compare with...but I like this sweet coconut.

1 drop of stevia in a 10ml mix worked well

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
1 drop of stevia in a 10ml mix worked well
Did you mix that yourself or can you buy it somewhere? I thought I read somewhere on here that you can mix your own, but can't seem to find the thread....

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I like to mention another perfect transaction with www.mamaj'sjuice.com. I ordered on at around 2am monday morning, my package was in the mail later that morning, and was at my doorstep three days later.
I messed up my order, they caught it and fixed it, that late at night. Freakin awesome.

Echamberlain

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know I posted something earlier this evening but I should have introduced myself. I have been vaping for about 3 months. Unlike most vapers I was not really a smoker before I started. My wife was using an Ego and I was spending a lot of time on my computer and was thinking about getting some cigars to enjoy on my late night gaming sessions but my computer is in the bedroom and did not want to stick the room and everything else. So went to local B and M and bought a mech mod and a dripper ( not exactly the recommended starter set up. I soon switched primarily from dripping to using an Orchid tank. I have found that my sub ohm build is drinking the juice at a much faster rate then my wifes e go and pro tank setups. So I began looking into DIY. I have been reading through this thread. I did not start at the beginning but have read the last month or so and I am amazed by the people on this forum thread. I cannot believe the knowledge that so many of you share so freely with new members. Vaping Underground as a whole has such a better tone to it then any of the other forums I have read. My wife finally said to me today, I thing you better get the stuff to start making us e liquids at home, so I am going to dive in and enjoy this exciting new part of the vape community and experience. Without the post of so many of you I would not feel so comfortable moning forward.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know I posted something earlier this evening but I should have introduced myself. I have been vaping for about 3 months. Unlike most vapers I was not really a smoker before I started. My wife was using an Ego and I was spending a lot of time on my computer and was thinking about getting some cigars to enjoy on my late night gaming sessions but my computer is in the bedroom and did not want to stick the room and everything else. So went to local B and M and bought a mech mod and a dripper ( not exactly the recommended starter set up. I soon switched primarily from dripping to using an Orchid tank. I have found that my sub ohm build is drinking the juice at a much faster rate then my wifes e go and pro tank setups. So I began looking into DIY. I have been reading through this thread. I did not start at the beginning but have read the last month or so and I am amazed by the people on this forum thread. I cannot believe the knowledge that so many of you share so freely with new members. Vaping Underground as a whole has such a better tone to it then any of the other forums I have read. My wife finally said to me today, I thing you better get the stuff to start making us e liquids at home, so I am going to dive in and enjoy this exciting new part of the vape community and experience. Without the post of so many of you I would not feel so comfortable moning forward.

Welcome! There's a ton of information in this thread, as you've already found, along with some great recipes!

VU Sponsors