Become a Patron!

FlavourArt Club ... formally known as the PureVapes thread

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
When I use enough FA Cinn Ceylon to get a spicy-cinnamon-candy effect (with a little Meringue to make it brighter and sweeter), it reminds me of Brach's cinnamon hard candies. When I want lip-flaming cinnamon, I vape TFA's Cinnamon Red Hots. I'm a total cinnamon fiend!

IMO, it's good to try all flavors solo, even if you'll never use them that way. I dread the day I finally get Black Pepper.
You might be pleasantly surprised at a very low %. 1% is strong in vanilla, day one. I'm gonna try it again soon since it's been a minute. Hermit said it mellows.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Torta della Nonna = "Grandma's Pie" is a favorite dessert from Tuscany. It's kind of a cross between creamy lemon custard and cheesecake. It has crust like a tart, and it's traditionally topped with pine nuts, sometimes served with fresh berries.

2% FA Custard with 1% TFA Cheesecake Graham crust is a good start and tastes good right there.
2% FA Custard with Homevape Cheesecake, same thing without graham cracker

Custard has a little lemon, but I used 0.5% Lemon Sicily to make it a little stronger. Very nice.

Fresh berries were 0.25% Bilberry, which adds a nice contrast to the lemony-creamy-custard main flavor.

I added Apple Pie for crust, tiny bit so I wouldn't taste the apples. Bilberry helps cover them, too. Tasting really good right here!

Then for pine nuts. Closest to pine nuts would be Walnut. Who can guess what happened then? (answer below)

(Italian word of the day: mannaggia!! = dammit!!)

answer: walnut brought out the apple from Apple Pie. Now I have Grandma's Screwed Up Apple-Lemon-Berry Torta. And a whole big tankful, too.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I was surprised how well lemon covered apple when I tried a lemon meringue pie. Still wasnt perfect but not bad at all.

Love the word!!

kabalm18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Torta della Nonna = "Grandma's Pie" is a favorite dessert from Tuscany. It's kind of a cross between creamy lemon custard and cheesecake. It has crust like a tart, and it's traditionally topped with pine nuts, sometimes served with fresh berries.

2% FA Custard with 1% TFA Cheesecake Graham crust is a good start and tastes good right there.

Custard has a little lemon, but I used 0.5% Lemon Sicily to make it a little stronger. Very nice.

Fresh berries were 0.25% Bilberry, which adds a nice contrast to the lemony-creamy-custard main flavor.

I added Apple Pie for crust, tiny bit so I wouldn't taste the apples. Bilberry helps cover them, too. Tasting really good right here!

Then for pine nuts. Closest to pine nuts would be Walnut. Who can guess what happened then? (answer below)

answer: walnut brought out the apple from Apple Pie. Now I have Grandma's Screwed Up Apple-Lemon-Berry Torta. And a whole big tankful, too.
Walnut strikes again!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You totally forgot the AP.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
I am searching for a good toffee flavour. Any ideas? I am trying to work out a recipe for banoffee pie. It will have
graham cracker
Toffee
Banana
Lemon dash
Whipped cream
Chocolate.
Maybe a dash of walnut to help with banana flavour. I read that some where here.
This might be a little adventurous for a first timer. But I do love adventure.
I haven't located a toffee yet.

Toffee is just butterscotch that has been cooked longer/hotter. If you're trying to do that flavor without diacetyl or substitute diketone ingredients, you can use FA Butterscotch with TFA Brown Sugar Extra to get close. It won't be a fantastic standalone toffee flavor, but I've used that combo in candy recipes with pretty good results. I've never had that vendor liquid, so I don't know how well this idea will 'match' the toffee flavor in it, though. You might play around with just that part first. The next battle will be the graham cracker bit!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I would love to join the A Team too! I have not done diy yet and I just put in an order for flavourart at ecigexpress. It would be great to have a list of the most used flavours in everyone's pantry. I am a very new vaper less than a month and I am already building my own coils. I can't wait to start the next chapter of this fascinating obsession. I have just finished reading every post in this thread. Took a while. Thank you for all your wisdom.
Team FA ! welcome to the club :)

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sheesh, I'm pages back still contemplating my FA rocky road vape (not there yet by a long stretch), and here y'all are 10 ideas later LOL

See, this is why I never end up coming up with any recipes. Just as I start to think someone posts something I must make - so now it's custard/pomegranate gelato!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
hey @AmandaD totally unrelated to flavor art but that cotton is awesome. only been using it for a few hours but it seems to be a lot more clean tasting. didnt boil it or anything. sallys is right next to lowes and I had to go there so I stopped in sallys on the clock. lol. that was funny. construction dude in a bright orange vest going in sallys . ha. anyways pulled a piece out of the box in the truck, wicked it up and hit the road. at first I was worried. had that funky fresh cotton taste and thought it was going to be the same ol same ol. but the taste went away super fast. just a few toots. almost want to say it is making the cream just a bit creamier. going to boil some tonight and see if there is a difference. just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about it and let everyone else know. it Its rayon cellucotton . its at sally in a massive tissue box. kept thinking it was a joke and jack in the box was going to pop out and punch me in the nose.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
hey @AmandaD totally unrelated to flavor art but that cotton is awesome. only been using it for a few hours but it seems to be a lot more clean tasting. didnt boil it or anything. sallys is right next to lowes and I had to go there so I stopped in sallys on the clock. lol. that was funny. construction dude in a bright orange vest going in sallys . ha. anyways pulled a piece out of the box in the truck, wicked it up and hit the road. at first I was worried. had that funky fresh cotton taste and thought it was going to be the same ol same ol. but the taste went away super fast. just a few toots. almost want to say it is making the cream just a bit creamier. going to boil some tonight and see if there is a difference. just wanted to say thanks for letting me know about it and let everyone else know. it Its rayon cellucotton . its at sally in a massive tissue box. kept thinking it was a joke and jack in the box was going to pop out and punch me in the nose.

Glad you like it - that rayon is amazing. There shouldn't be any taste at all - are you 100% sure it says '100% rayon' on the box, and not 100% cotton? They're both called Cellucotton and are in the same color box - so it's confusing!

Ultraviolet19

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
When I use enough FA Cinn Ceylon to get a spicy-cinnamon-candy effect (with a little Meringue to make it brighter and sweeter), it reminds me of Brach's cinnamon hard candies. When I want lip-flaming cinnamon, I vape TFA's Cinnamon Red Hots. I'm a total cinnamon fiend!

IMO, it's good to try all flavors solo, even if you'll never use them that way. I dread the day I finally get Black Pepper.
Im with you HIC. I just love cinnamon red hots.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Has anyone here ever had birds custard? Birds is an English egg free powdered custard mix. I grew up eating the stuff. If you have any idea of which I speak, are any of the custard flavors out there like birds?

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Glad you like it - that rayon is amazing. There shouldn't be any taste at all - are you 100% sure it says '100% rayon' on the box, and not 100% cotton? They're both called Cellucotton and are in the same color box - so it's confusing!
ya I made sure thank you :) ya its super clean. it could have even been my hands lol. like I said I was at work and just ripped a piece off. now its great. I vape so much dirt and oil and grease all the time Im sure. Ive done worse things so vaping dirt is not that bad

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Haha, you got the 500' box? They sell smaller ones too! Think I seen 10'. You should watch the Pbusardo wicking testing, you'd be surprised how cotton did.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Haha, you got the 500' box? They sell smaller ones too! Think I seen 10'. You should watch the Pbusardo wicking testing, you'd be surprised how cotton did.
hahaha ya they were out of the small ones. just had 500 and 1000 feet lol... should have got the 1000........

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
so just re wicked it and you are right no taste at all right away. man this is sweet

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Man, you could wick a freakin Texas smoker with that much.
Ill probably give a couple hundred feet away, then the wife is already eyeballing it. Ill need more by next week ha

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Most of the rayon boxes are 500ft. The smaller ones that I saw were actually cotton!

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
totally worth it when compared to a little bag of organic cotton for like 4 dollars

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone here ever had birds custard? Birds is an English egg free powdered custard mix. I grew up eating the stuff. If you have any idea of which I speak, are any of the custard flavors out there like birds?

I've seen that before, but I've never tried it because it's British. Figured it involved boiled beef or something. lol!
Here's what they say about it:

"quick and easy way to make traditional British custard on the fly. This is the original thickening agent of custard invented by Alfred Bird in 1837 because his wife was allergic to eggs. Mix two tablespoons of powder with sugar and milk until it becomes a paste; then add two cups of nearly boiling milk and heat to a boil. "

Ingredients are basically just cornflour, salt, annato for coloring and 'flavoring'. So it sounds like it's mostly a thickener to take the place of the eggs. Being a British product, I'd guess that 'flavoring' is vanilla?

In that case, Italians would call it Panna Cotta. They use geletin or sometimes cornstarch as thickener, plus the sugar and milk. Well, they use cream, but close enough. To translate that into FA, that's Fresh Cream and Meringue. But you'd want some vanilla, maybe almond, caramel, or other flavors in there, I'm sure.

If you get your mom's recipe, I'll help translate it into a vape!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mom's recipe was pour milk. Add powder. Boil.

Boil had to be in there, we're Scottish after all.

I'll have to try the fresh cream and merengue. Ty

Jgoss

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Most of the rayon boxes are 500ft. The smaller ones that I saw were actually cotton!

You can get 40 foot boxes of rayon, I think it was texas beauty supply or something like that. I bought 3 because I didn't want a singe gigantic box sitting around lol.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
Has anyone here ever had birds custard?

Hey, here we go... This site discusses how to replace Birds Custard Powder in a recipe: http://www.livestrong.com/article/486405-how-to-replace-custard-powder/

it says: "Substitute cornstarch equally for custard powder when it is called for as an ingredient..."
and
"Substitute vanilla or chocolate pudding mix if you can't find custard powder and you want to make a pudding, filling or sauce."

So you'd probably start with Fresh Cream, Meringue, Vanilla Classic....and I think after trying that you'd want to add some FA Custard and/or Vienna Cream, just enough to make it richer. After reading about that powder, I wouldn't be surprised if part of the 'flavoring' in it is artificial egg flavor, which Custard and Vienna Cream would both add.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OMG, Birds Custard! I grew up on that stuff LOL Then I learned how to make it the real way, but occasionally I still get a craving for Birds and have to run to the English Shop here! And it is most definitely an artificial flavor - and it's awful when the powder goes stale!

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's definitely artificial but it's Still my favorite custard. Add a little fruit. Mmmmm.
In our house it was used for the top layer of trifle too.
OMG, Birds Custard! I grew up on that stuff LOL Then I learned how to make it the real way, but occasionally I still get a craving for Birds and have to run to the English Shop here! And it is most definitely an artificial flavor - and it's awful when the powder goes stale!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's definitely artificial but it's Still my favorite custard. Add a little fruit. Mmmmm.
In our house it was used for the top layer of trifle too.

Funny, I'm English, but my mother was American, and I don't think ever used anything other than Birds! And, yes, it was in her sherry trifle too!

CurlyxCracker

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
hahaha ya they were out of the small ones. just had 500 and 1000 feet lol... should have got the 1000........
What was the product number on the box? 44043 or 44060?

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It would be great to have a list of the most used flavours in everyone's pantry. I am a very new vaper less than a month and I am already building my own coils. I can't wait to start the next chapter of this fascinating obsession.
Of course, what suits you best will be based upon your flavor preferences, but my most used FA flavors are Vanilla Classic, Caramel, Cookie, Nut Mix, Fresh Cream, Tiramisu, Apple Pie and Coconut.

I was never very into fruity vapes, but FA changed my mind on that. All the fruits I've tried are wonderful! I've been very surprised by how good they are.

Creams, I'd just get 'em all. Seriously. Vanilla Classic, Fresh Cream, Vienna Cream, Irish Cream, Vanilla Bourbon, I'll even add Coconut to this part because it's so creamy and versatile. Catalan Cream. It gets used in a lot of recipes by most people.

wllmc recently said it'd be easier to tell you what we don't like. A MUCH shorter list. That's very true. For me to sit here and type out what and why I'd recommend..... you could get tired of reading it all, lol.

I'll recommend you go to the flavor reviews section, look at all the flavor reviews posted by HeadInClouds. You'll drool and fall in love. HIC has a gfit for creating liquids and flavoring descriptions.

Last edited:

kabalm18

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Of course, what suits you best will be based upon your flavor preferences, but my most used FA flavors are Vanilla Classic, Caramel, Cookie, Nut Mix, Fresh Cream, Tiramisu, Apple Pie and Coconut.

I was never very into fruity vapes, but FA changed my mind on that. All the fruits I've tried are wonderful! I've been very surprised by how good they are.

Creams, I'd just get 'em all. Seriously. Vanilla Classic, Fresh Cream, Vienna Cream, Irish Cream, Vanilla Bourbon, I'll even add Coconut to this part because it's so creamy and versatile. Catalan Cream. It gets used in a lot of recipes by most people.

wllmc recently said it'd be easier to tell you what we don't like. A MUCH shorter list. That's very true. For me to sit here and type out what and why I'd recommend..... you could get tired of reading it all, lol.

I'll recommend you go to the flavor reviews section, look of all the flavor reviews posted by HeadInClouds. You'll drool and fall in love. HIC has a gfit for creating liquids and flavoring descriptions.

I think I have almost every non tobacco with the exception of cardamom and blackberry...Oh, and Fuji...I need fuji!!!

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have two cans of birds custard in my larder right now. I am from UK too and whenever I go to visit I bring some back. I will also be on a search for this flavour eventually. Interested if someone has come across it yet too.

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Michael1 over at the "other place" said VZ Gourmet Blackberry was the best out of all he'd tried, just a FYI.
But I've only tried the MBV Blackberry so far, and I dumped it down the drain, as it was way to bitter/nasty.
I do love FA Bilberry though so I may have to try FA Blackberry too.

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On my phone so not sure how to point back to it. HIC made 2 posts in reference to it last night. Even if what he suggested isn't birds, it sounds tasty.
I have two cans of birds custard in my larder right now. I am from UK too and whenever I go to visit I bring some back. I will also be on a search for this flavour eventually. Interested if someone has come across it yet too.

Yooperdad

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Will you guys ease up PLEASE! There aren't enough hours in the day to vape all the good recipes I have learned from you all. All my tanks are full and many just sit waiting for their turn. And I must have a dozen other recipes waiting to be made. Jeesh :)

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Will you guys ease up PLEASE! There aren't enough hours in the day to vape all the good recipes I have learned from you all. All my tanks are full and many just sit waiting for their turn. And I must have a dozen other recipes waiting to be made. Jeesh :)

Lol, I hear you, I'm still working on testing a dozen + recipes I've made over the past few months.
Some have been dumped, some were just ok.
Trying to clear out the old before making much new.

Like Rocket said, I've just started making 5ml batches, so I don't have so much to vape, or dump.

VU Sponsors