Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

DIY Zero Waste Kit

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Have you ever caught yourself thinking of your garden as just another chore? Or have you been so overwhelmed by the work of gardening that you haven’t started yet?

It’s time to get ready for a new year. In 2023, what if you thought about your garden like…a party?

You’re the host, and your crops are your guests.

Every crop has its own personality: likes, dislikes, wants, needs. Some crops are patient and resilient. Some are sensitive and dramatic. Some are in a hurry to grow up, and some take their time.

How do these personalities interact with each other as they’re growing in your garden?

Plant personalities come down to their biology. Companion gardening is the practice of planting certain vegetables close together because they help each other grow better and be more productive. It’s also about who to keep away from each other.

Yes, the guests at your garden party will have assigned seats.

Will aunt Rosemary chive well with everyone? Will peas disturb the peace?

And what’s the dill with Fennel?

If you’re thinking this party is starting to sound like a lot of work…That’s why we created this downloadable guide so that you can take the complication out of companion planting:

>>> Download Your FREE Copy of our Companion Planting eGuide

Inside, you’ll find:

🎉 Why there are only a few crops that make for “bad neighbors” in your garden…phew!
🎉 A chart with “good companions” and “bad companions” for your favorite vegetable crops
🎉 How making room for flowers and herbs in your garden can actually increase your vegetable harvest
🎉 Why growing herbs with vegetables is as important as eating herbs with vegetables
🎉 A list of herb companions that will create habitat for beneficial insects and reduce pest issues
🎉 Beautiful, aromatic flower companions to entice pollinators into your garden

We are all about simple, straightforward garden systems that help you get the planning done so you can work less and enjoy your garden more.

Using the Companion Planting eGuide to make your garden plan, you can take full advantage of the diversity and abundance that comes when good neighbors party together:

🌱 Provide habitat for beneficial insects that help deter pests–naturally!
🌼 Entice pollinators into your garden (and beautify your space at the same time)
🌽 Suppress weeds…not with plastic or weed blocker, but with more edible plants
🍅 Improve soil biochemistry and fertility to maximize your harvest and the nutrients available in
your food!
🍄 Grow your own medicine: Herbs and many flowers have medicinal qualities AND are a
delicious addition to dishes

>>> Download Your Copy of the Companion Planting eGuide

Stacey has taught thousands of growers on six continents how to simplify their garden systems and make gardening feel less like work and more like a party.

By growing vegetables, flowers, and herbs together, you can maximize the beauty, productivity, and sustainability of your garden.

Once you download the eGuide, hit reply and let us know about your favorite companion plantings!

Make 2023 your best gardening year ever!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,
This month we dig deep and bring you our Tree and Seed Chats plus this month a special Introduction to Permaculture class. Check them out...

Tree Chat - Dec 13
"Pruning Trees for Success"
Click HERE to register​

Seed Chat - Dec 20
"What is Happening in the World of Seeds"
Click HERE to Register​

December 7th - Introduction to Permaculture
withDon Titmus, Greg Peterson & Janis Norton
Click HERE to enroll!​

Over 30 years ago I discovered that there is something to call the way that I have thought all of my life. In 1991 I took my first PDC...that is a Permaculture Design Course and it changed my life forever. Join us tonight as Don, Janis and I explore the basic premise of Permaculture and discover how we can cooperate more with the natural systems around us.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

What can you learn from a biologist about microgreens?

In this week’s episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, we have Michael Torbett of Terra Vita Farm, located in Castle Hayne, NC. Terra Vita Farm is the only completely no-spray farm in the Wilmington, NC area, and practices no-till farming while building soils and ecosystems. Their nutrient dense produce includes: microgreens/shoots, edible flowers, herbs, seasonal produce, hemp, gourmet mushrooms, cut flowers, and honey.

Join us to hear how Michael and the rest of the team at TerrTerra Vita run their thriving microgreens farm!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

A few of you let me know you had trouble accessing the Best of Home Grown Food Summit presentations last weekend, so I've decided to make two bold moves:

>>>>> First, my team and I are bringing back all 12 of our Best of Home Grown Food Summit presentations for you to watch over the next 18 hours.

Watch as many of them as you like, as often as you like . . .

. . . but remember, we'll be taking the page down at noon tomorrow.

Click Here to Rewatch All the Presentations From the Best of Home Grown Food Summit

(But Hurry
—You've Only Got 18 Hours Left to Watch!)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
What do u think i would need as a garden to have cucumbers, bell peppers any color, and tomatoes sort of( not a big fan) and wholesale potatoes (big fan), on tap

i guess lettuce is best just bought at the store, unless it growsfaster than i think (it just goes brown too fast once picked)

I am highly unmotivated to do this, lmao, and there is wildlife here that will desimate it if not protected with a 5 ft chian link fence, but just for arguments sake what do u think i would need as far a size, number of plants, something other then a fence to keep away deer, rabbit, squirrel, groundhog, bird.

Im in an area where a quonset hut isnt necessarily out of the question, depending on the cost

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What do u think i would need as a garden to have cucumbers, bell peppers any color, and tomatoes sort of( not a big fan) and wholesale potatoes (big fan), on tap

i guess lettuce is best just bought at the store, unless it growsfaster than i think (it just goes brown too fast once picked)

I am highly unmotivated to do this, lmao, and there is wildlife here that will desimate it if not protected with a 5 ft chian link fence, but just for arguments sake what do u think i would need as far a size, number of plants, something other then a fence to keep away deer, rabbit, squirrel, groundhog, bird.

Im in an area where a quonset hut isnt necessarily out of the question, depending on the cost
Sorry I was gone for a few days but you'll need a garden space, tilled. I put my cukes on a piece of fence to save room, they climb right up it and it keeps your cukes off the ground. Bell peppers are easy to grow and are usually grown from starter plants. (I start my own started plants), depends on where you live. Tomatoes are easy also. and potatoes are a breeze to grow. I will gladly help you all you want just post questions and I will answer them.
Now my turn :giggle:
How big is your garden area?
Do have means of or someone to till for you?
Are you planning to grow your peppers/tomatoes from seed

Ok here's some things to keep in mind
Potatoes get planted very early, soon as the soil can be worked, they will endure frost and take temps down to 26 degrees. When planting them I plant mine 5 inches deep.
For cukes the soil temp has to be 60 degrees or they wont do well.
Tomatoes and peppers don't go in till all chances of frost are past or they have to be covered.

I hope this helps you and if you have any questions please ask
EVERY ONE SHOULD GROW A GARDEN

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Do you grow medicinal herbs? Which ones, and what do you create with them?

In this week’s podcast, we’re proud to host Crystal Stevens: author, herbalist, educator, and co-owner of Flourish Farmstead and Flourish Folk School, from Godfrey, Illinois.

Crystal was born in Colorado, partly raised in California, and then transplanted to St. Louis, Missouri, where she spent her formative years as an activist and gardener in her community. She is the author of three successful books: Grow, Create, Inspire: Crafting a Joyful Life; Worms at Work: Harnessing the Awesome Power of Worms; and Your Edible Yard: Landscaping with Fruits and Vegetables.

Crystal has been teaching a Resilient Living workshop series for over a decade. She organized the Confluence Herbal Summit, the first small herbal conference of its kind in western Illinois.

Crystal and her husband, Eric, have an intrinsic passion for growing food and medicinal herbs, growing native plants, cooking healthy meals, planting trees, foraging for wild food and medicine, creating art, spending time with their children in the fields and forests, and offering workshops through the Flourish Folk School.

Tune in to hear about everything Crystal and her family are doing at their thriving farmstead!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Holistic Farming and Improving the Food Chain

In this episode, I am joined by Joel Salatin–American farmer, lecturer, author, and owner of Polyface Farm. He uses successful, unconventional agricultural methods which are “beyond organic”.

Much is covered during this podcast, but stay until the end to learn how our food-spending habits are changing with the times. While we used to spend 18% of our income on food and less on health, now it is the opposite. I see this need to spend more on health in direct correlation with the quality and nutrient density of today’s foods. Spend more money on good quality food that is high in nutrients and you’ll spend less on hospital bills, etc. I can't wait for you to listen to this episode!

>> Click here to check out the podcast! <<

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I am highly unmotivated to do this, lmao, and there is wildlife here that will desimate it if not protected with a 5 ft chian link fence, but just f
or arguments sake what do u think i would need as far a size, number of plants, something other then a fence to keep away deer, rabbit, squirrel, groundhog, bird.

After re-reading this did you mean size of garden @Jd_ ?
As far as size goes it all depends on how much of each you are looking to harvest.
As a general rule of thumb tomatoes need between 2 to 3 foot spacing in rows 2 foot apart, peppers you can get away with 18 inches to 24 inches spacing in rows 2 foot apart, potatoes, (and I am huge fan of taders too) need about 1 to 2 foot spacing, I always space my plants 1 foot apart in rows 2 foot apart.
And cukes, to save space, can go on an old scrap piece of fence, it keeps the fruits off the ground also.

Back to taders, did you see the post I made on cutting/curing/planting potatoes in the earlier pages? If you use that process you will easily harvest10 to 15 times what you plant, taders are so easy and like garden green beans they have sooooo much more flavor than store bought.

As far as the fence, chain link might only the ground hogs and maybe the deer out, deer might jump it, but rabbits and squirrels can go through chain link chipmunks too. For rabbits they have a special rabbit fence, squirrels usually don't bother what you have listed to grow they are usually after seeds. Birds don't bother what you intend to grow either IMHO.
Ok number of plants, well that will depend on how you want out of your garden. With sweet peppers, bell, you usually get from 6 to 8 bells per plant so figure from there.
With tomatoes it depends on the variety but tomatoes can really put out if done right.
For potatoes figure on 10 to 15 times what you put in, I usually put in15 pounds and sometimes get 250 pounds, like I say potatoes are easy and they keep well if done right (I usually am eatin my garden taders at Easter and after.

So figure out what you and your family need to produce, let me know, and I will gladly help you to figure it out. That's what this thread is for for all of us to help each other ;)

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Jimi, did you hear there are positive developments in the case of the Amish organic farmer being persecuted by our traitorous rogue government?

Positive turn, but it isn't over yet. I still makes me mad.
A dallas buyers club needed for raw milk...one step closer to 'now i really have seen it all'

I'm just gonna keep my opinions about the whole situation to myself

Last edited:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A dallas buyers club needed for raw milk...one step closer to 'now i really have seen it all'

I'm just gonna keep my opinions about the whole situation to myself

Lancasterfarming.com is a mainstream news source, not expected to be sympathetic toward the farmer or any other farmer escaping government oversight. What kills me is this, about the 300,000.00 they wanted from him, reduced to those three payments adding up to around 90k:

The money represents a portion of some $305,000 in fines and costs the government had been seeking to reimburse Smith’s expert, the U.S. Marshals Service and federal inspectors for their costs associated with the case.

It's like the inquisitions and witch hunts of Europe, when the victims, besides being tortured, burned, hanged, drowned, stripped of their belongings and property, exiled and whatever else, had debts for court costs that their surviving families had to pay.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Lancasterfarming.com is a mainstream news source, not expected to be sympathetic toward the farmer or any other farmer escaping government oversight. What kills me is this, about the 300,000.00 they wanted from him, reduced to those three payments adding up to around 90k:

The money represents a portion of some $305,000 in fines and costs the government had been seeking to reimburse Smith’s expert, the U.S. Marshals Service and federal inspectors for their costs associated with the case.

It's like the inquisitions and witch hunts of Europe, when the victims, besides being tortured, burned, hanged, drowned, stripped of their belongings and property, exiled and whatever else, had debts for court costs that their surviving families had to pay.
It always seems to always be only about the money. This sounds to political for me to comment on any further.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

No matter how much garden experience you have, you are probably always finding ways you can improve.

Without a clear crop plan, you might be losing out on having the most abundant harvest you could have.

That’s why we want to share this FREE guide about how to maximize your garden space so you can have your most abundant harvest yet!

In the resource, you’ll learn the 6 Tips to Maximize Your Garden Space & Get More Fresh Food On Your Plate including how to:

✂️ Prune to get a higher yield
🥗 Harvest smaller plants BUT get more food
🌱 Plant closer together without overcrowding

And much more!

>>> Download 6 Tips to Maximize Your Garden Space & Get More Fresh Food On Your Plate here.

Start maximizing your garden space today! You’ll be amazed at what grows.

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

P.S. Download 6 Tips to Maximize Your Garden Space & Get More Fresh Food On Your Plate now, and save it in the folder where you keep your garden goodies! That way, you can easily come back to it for a little inspiration later.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
‘Brown’ Ideas So You & Your Compost Aren’t Blue!
Soil is life. Soil gives us so much and we have to give back to our soil. One way to do this is by aerobic composting. Aerobic composting has two main ingredients: your food/fresh yard scraps (or your greens) and browns. Check out this video to learn a great way to get browns for your compost AND help local businesses recycle too!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Effects of a community gardening intervention on diet, physical activity, and anthropometry outcomes in the USA (CAPS): an observer-blind, randomised controlled trial​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

New Research From Rodale:​

For more than 40 years, the Farming Systems Trial (FST) at Rodale Institute has combined real-world practices and rigorous scientific analysis to document the different impacts of organic and conventional grain cropping systems. The scientific data gathered from this research has established that organic management matches or outperforms conventional agriculture in ways that benefit farmers and lays a strong foundation for designing and refining agricultural systems that can improve the health of people and the planet.
Critically, new FST research has shed light on how regenerative organic agriculture is an effective and resilient farming model in an era of extreme weather. This is a significant finding as farmers around the world contend with the devastating effects of crop losses stemming from droughts and floods. Learn more about this research from Rodale here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Starting Tomatoes By Seed (4 Tips for Healthy Seedlings)​

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

New Research From Rodale:​

For more than 40 years, the Farming Systems Trial (FST) at Rodale Institute has combined real-world practices and rigorous scientific analysis to document the different impacts of organic and conventional grain cropping systems. The scientific data gathered from this research has established that organic management matches or outperforms conventional agriculture in ways that benefit farmers and lays a strong foundation for designing and refining agricultural systems that can improve the health of people and the planet.
Critically, new FST research has shed light on how regenerative organic agriculture is an effective and resilient farming model in an era of extreme weather. This is a significant finding as farmers around the world contend with the devastating effects of crop losses stemming from droughts and floods. Learn more about this research from Rodale here.

I still have the two Rodale books on organic gardening that I inherited. The methods work so beautifully, it becomes a spiritual thing to work in nature, tend your inner garden while growing the outer one. People do not realize that this scammy "green new deal" and "climate change movement" led by psychopaths like Gates and Schwab, consider organic farming to be wasteful and unproductive, while promoting chemical inputs and genetically modified seed, and buying up farm land all over the world. When is this era going to finally come to an end, when massively wealthy lunatics tell us what our future will be, without any input from anybody but themselves...

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still have the two Rodale books on organic gardening that I inherited. The methods work so beautifully, it becomes a spiritual thing to work in nature, tend your inner garden while growing the outer one. People do not realize that this scammy "green new deal" and "climate change movement" led by psychopaths like Gates and Schwab, consider organic farming to be wasteful and unproductive, while promoting chemical inputs and genetically modified seed, and buying up farm land all over the world. When is this era going to finally come to an end, when massively wealthy lunatics tell us what our future will be, without any input from anybody but themselves...
All of that is why I started this thread, to get more people to grow/eat actual healthy foods, I question everything I have to buy from the stores, sadly it has to be that way.

VU Sponsors