Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

[Event] Be Healthier, Happier, and Live Longer

As a fresh food lover and someone who values a lifestyle that sets you up for long term vitality, we are inviting you to the upcoming 2022 Lifestyle Medicine Summit. From October 21-30, 2022, learn from 35+ renowned doctors and researchers how to be healthier, happier & live longer.s​

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
May be an image of nature and text that says 'gardeningsoul ONE DRAGONFLY CAN EAT HUNDREDS OF MOSQUITOES A DAY KEEP THESE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD TO ATTRACT DRAGONFLIES''gardeningsoul ONE DRAGONFLY CAN EAT HUNDREDS OF MOSQUITOES A DAY KEEP THESE PLANTS IN YOUR YARD TO ATTRACT DRAGONFLIES'
I wish people understood beneficial insects better.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Are You Growing Echinacea In Your Garden?​

Have you ever heard herbs referred to as "Snake Oil"? It's a pejorative used by those who don't think herbs have medicinal benefits. Whenever I hear someone call herbs "Snake Oil" I smile and say "Thanks. I'm glad to see you're a believer in their benefits."
You see one of the saddest things about those who discredit the wonderful, healing offerings of medicinal plants is that they have no regard for history. For as long as humans have been puttering around on this nice blue and green planet of ours, they've been using plants as medicine...

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Check out Greg's latest planting vid HERE
Early Bird Tree Bundles are HERE

Hey Farmer Jimi!
The biggest first step for fruit tree success is to make sure you plant to give the tree the biggest limb up. Over the last 30 years my team and I have developed what we found as the most effective way to get your trees planted so they thrive. Watch our newest video HERE!

Check out our upcoming free online classes:
Here is the tree planting process in a nutshell:
  1. Dig a square tree hole at least 2 feet x 2 feet by 1 foot deep. Plus add a 6 food diameter basin around the tree that is 4 to 6 inches deep (more on this in step 6)
  2. Fill the hole to see how long it takes for the hole to drain - called a perk test. If the hole has standing water after 24 hours dig a deeper hole.
  3. Use 40% of the dirt from the hole and add 2 bags of Farmer Greg's Planting Mix to a wheelbarrow. Add a tree planting kit (AZOMITE, Myco and worm castings) plus 4 cups organic fertilizer (BioFlora Crumbles or Tanks SuperMix). Mix the wheelbarrow soil really well.
  4. Janis has put together an amazing class on upleveling your tree care and this next step falls in the advanced category for Ultimate Tree Success. To a gallon bucket add one ounce each of the HyKreations liquid fertilizers. Splash half of the mixed solution in the planting hole and save the other half to water the newly planted trees.
  5. Once 3 & 4 are complete. Place the tree so that it is sitting on a mound on the middle of your planting hole and use all the soil in the wheelbarrow to plant the tree.
  6. Once you tree is planted use the extra HyKreations liquid nutrients to pour around the tree hole. Then fill the basin around the tree with at least 6 inches of woody mulch.
  7. Water the tree in deeply. This generally means filling the basin so that there is moisture through the entire basin and tree hole.
Well there are the crib notes for getting your tree planted. I invite you to print the list above, watch my planting video and take more in depth notes.
Along with our education we also source some pretty incredible fruit trees. Once you grow and eat a ripe peach off the tree your will NEVER eat a store bought peach again.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

The Economic Garden​

VermontCathy
VermontCathy Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
October 5
There are many reasons to have a garden. It's relaxing, it produces food even if you can't buy it elsewhere, the food you grow is healthier than many of the atlernatives, and so on.
In this discussion, I'd to specifically talk about the "saving money" aspect of gardening. This is the direction I'm moving as I try harder to make the garden pay for itself.
I have not run detailed financials on my garden, but I know from looking at expenses and rough estimates of what I get back that some crops are paying their own way and others are not. As the global financial situation deteriorates, I'm more interested in focusing on the stuff that makes economic sense.
My garden choices are also influenced by the small space I have. My native soil is poor clay, so most gardening is done in raised beds, and building beds and stocking them with good soil adds more costs. So I am looking for maximum productivity per square foot, not just per dollar.
Potatoes -- not worth it, at least not if I purchase certified disease-free seed every year. I have found that I can reseed at least one year without disease problems, but it's still very expensive for the yield I get. This year I spent over $80 on potato tubers, plus more on grow bags, and the total amount I got was about one shopping bag worth. I can't justify it any more.
Carrots -- seed is cheap, but they tie up garden space for the entire season. I often grow them under tomatoes, which works, but sometimes they remain very small. It's probably worth growing a few, but I don't see them as a major calorie crop, even though they have a lot of potential.
Lettuce, spinach, mustard -- cheap seed, grows easily, provides nutrients and roughage but few calories. The last couple of years I have planted too much of these crops because they are so easy and productive, and I get more than I can use. They also don't store well.
Tomatoes -- excellent source of vitamins, but few calories. Great product to provide umami flavor and body to sauces, salsa, and similar items. Plants tend to sell for about $1, or you can start them from seed with a lot of time and effort but very little cost. Some years I get a good crop, some not. There is a lot of variation in yield between different varieties. Next year I am going to experiment with a wide variety of different tomatos types and find out what works best. We eat a lot of tomato sauce, and if I could grow enough tomatoes instead of spending almost $60 for 10 lbs in canning season it would definitely save money.
Onion bulbs -- I had a terrible return on onions when I started gardening here. It's hard to get onions started from seed and get them big enough to harvest bulbs in one year, and if it takes two years, it's tying up space that could grow other things. I switched to buying transplants online, which worked, but was expensive and the resulting bulbs were still small. Only a few types of onions are available as sets, so I never liked that path. Eventually I discovered multiplier onions, including walking onions, potato onions, and shallots. Every year I plant some bulbs, let them multiply over the season, then harvest some and replant some for next year. I still don't get as many onions as I use over the course of a year, but now the ongoing cost is very low and I do get usable onions.
Scallions or green onions -- These are far quicker and easier to grow than bulbing onions, and we use them heavily in many dishes. Seeds are cheap, which is good because onions are biennials, making it hard to produce and save your own seed for next year. The stalks of walking onions, shallots, and potato onions can also be used as scallions. Spring onions (Syboes) are perennials, and can also make good scallions.
Cucumbers -- We grow these mainly for pickling. Seeds are cheap, many varieties are available, and making pickles is quick and easy. But you do have to buy a significant amount of canning supplies, including vinegar in bulk, so you have to take that into account. I will continue to grow and can them, but I can't really call them a staple.
Peas -- Cheap to buy seed, and can save seed once you get them going. Yields are decent, certainly enough to make them worth growing. They stop producing in the heat of summer, so you can pull them and grow something else the second half of the year, even in a short season climate like mine. We freeze as many peas as possible for winter.
Beans -- Probably the single crop that produces the most pounds of food for us at the lowest cost. Seeds are cheap, many varieties are available, and they can be eaten fresh, water bath canned with acids, pressure canned, or frozen. We eat them as green beans and also as shellies or dried beans.
Strawberries -- Cheap to buy initially, not as cheap as seed, but for $25 you can buy enough plants to create a solid bed. If you manage them properly, they will produce for many years, sending out runners that create new plants. We love strawberries and strawberry jam, so the amount of garden planted in them has slowly risen over time.
Raspberries -- Delicious, but not very produce per plant. You need a lot of plants to do much, they are more expensive than strawberries, and they take longer to spread. But they are perennials and will keep producing once established. Each year I get a few more plants coming up on their own and a little more yield.
Apples -- We inherited several apple trees when we bought the property. Some are good cultivated varieties, other are wild and produce small fruit that is less sweet. We use them all, making apple jelly, apple chutney, applesauce, apple pies, apple dumplings, apple turnovers, apple cake, and more!

What crops do you grow to improve your financial situation? What would you like to grow that would pay for itself? What crops have you found don't make financial sense for you?

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Hi Jimi,

A lot of people that work with plants assume that just because they don’t rely on pharmaceuticals or drugs for health that they are automatically holistic.

But is it really true?

Join our friends Sajah and Whitney Popham from the School of Evolutionary Herbalism, and they will give you a radically new perspective on the practice of herbal medicine!

They just released a complimentary mini-course on the practice of Vitalist Herbalism, which digs deep into how you can effectively use plants in a truly holistic way.

The Vitalist Herbalism Mini-Course is an in-depth look at some of the critical factors on how you can become a skilled practicing herbalist.

They are giving you hours of videos and an awesome workbook that will accelerate your growth and practice of herbal medicine.

>>> Click here to sign up for their complimentary course

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just started a small tub of radishes to be grown inside.

Radishes don't get the credit they deserve, full of vitamins, minerals, and they protect and support good liver function.
Also cut a head of cauliflower and broccoli yesterday, if I remember I'll take a pic. of the cauliflower and put it on later or tomorrow, but had the broccoli last night.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I just started a small tub of radishes to be grown inside.

Radishes don't get the credit they deserve, full of vitamins, minerals, and they protect and support good liver function.
Also cut a head of cauliflower and broccoli yesterday, if I remember I'll take a pic. of the cauliflower and put it on later or tomorrow, but had the broccoli last night.

P1460819.JPG

I wish I woulda took a pic of the Broccoli too :(
Gonna pick another mate to this one in a couple days;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Hi Jimi -

Successful growers have a curious mindset and know how to ask the right questions!

We realize you might have been busy poking around a pumpkin patch 🎃or checking out a fall festival and missed the special Masterclass last week.

We didn’t want you to miss out! You’ll learn tricks that will have you harvesting abundant garden treats for years to come. You’ll discover…

🌱 Why it’s actually a great thing to kill a lot of plants
🌱 How the concepts of “growing zones” and “growing seasons” actually hold you back from real garden success…and what to focus on instead
🌱 Our Circle of Awesome system for making your garden better and more efficient year after year

RIGHT NOW, you can create the abundant garden of your dreams…no matter what the weather outside is like. And the Masterclass will show you how!

Because dreaming, strategizing, learning, and planning are gardening!

We would hate for you to miss out on all the year-round garden benefits just because you didn’t know what was possible.

>>> Click here to watch 3 scientifically proven strategies for an abundant vegetable and herb garden any time of year (in any climate, indoors or outdoors!)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If you've wanted to grow your own nutrient-rich food, but have been discouraged by setbacks ...

... or would just like to be able to produce an even better harvest in abundance ...

If you’ve delved into home remedies but would love more guidance …

... or you've always wanted to try natural healing practices but are intimidated …

And most of all, if you're tired of having little power or choice when it comes to the quality of your food and medicine ...

... and are ready to transform into the food-producing, medicine-making hero of your own story (!) ...

Grab your seat for “The Best of Home Grown Food Summit” now!

I can’t wait to see you there!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you ever found yourself lost in YouTube land? As the #2 search engine in the world, many turn to YouTube to find the answers they are looking for.

Just the other day a friend told us about someone that built their house from the ground up through learning what to do with YouTube videos! We’ve come a long way from the encyclopedia days! 📚

But searching YouTube can also be a confusing experience with conflicting information, so it’s important to know how reliable the video source is.

At Grow Your Own Vegetables, we are passionate about sharing garden tips and information and that’s why we created our YouTube channel! Here’s what a few viewers had to share about our videos:

mail

mail

mail

mail

>> Come check it out! https://www.youtube.com/growyourownvegetables

Find a video you like? Please comment and share the video with a friend or on your social media.

Because growing together is more fun!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
In my part of the world, we are moving towards winter right now.
If you're also in the Northern Hemisphere, remember that winter doesn't have to mean you stop growing!
I LOVE this technique I learned from Peter Burke several years ago - “indoor salad gardening.” This trick enables you to grow sprouts year round!
Article: A Simple Way to Grow Fresh Greens Indoors (Even in the Winter!)
Do you have any favorite techniques for growing in the winter? A greenhouse, perhaps? Click "reply" and let me know how you're going to prepare your garden for the winter!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Stocks are an efficient way of harvesting all the flavor and nourishment of every last morsel!

In French cuisine, stocks are often referred to as “fond de cuisine,” meaning the foundation of food. Stocks and broths can be made any time of year. Whether you are using vegetables from your garden through peak harvest months, dehydrated vegetables, or vegetable scraps from other recipes, this cooking method is a staple for getting the most out of what you grow (or get from a farmer).

Stock making is a significant preservation method, and it presumably has been since before the Iron Age.. It seems simple now, but as Michael Pollan talks about in the “Water”’ section of his book Cooked, the invention of vessels that could both hold water and withstand the heat of cooking would have completely revolutionized food preparation. All of a sudden, bones, medicinal roots, and nutritious herbs could be combined in a vessel with water and heated to extract their benefits into a flavorful, nutritious broth that can serve as the foundation for countless culinary endeavors. Stock can be stored in the fridge for 5-7 days, and it can be frozen and kept on hand for quite some time.

Using a homemade stock or broth can bring wondrous and unique layers to soups, sauces/glazes, marinades, and breads. Stocks can also be cooked down until their flavor is robust enough to constitute a sauce. This sauce is referred to as demi-glace, and it is traditionally used as a base for other sauces. Even something as simple as adding pickling liquid, butter, spices, or herbs, such as sage, rosemary and thyme, can elevate a simple stock to a full meal. When cooking down a stock or broth, taste as you go so you can learn how the flavor develops.

Stock making is heavily influenced by traditional French cuisine, and we often look to French mirepoix for the building block of our stocks. Mirepoix technically refers to a specific ratio of 2:1:1 of 2 parts onion to 1 part carrots to 1 part celery, but this can also be used simply as a reference point The higher ratio of onion in French mirepoix lends a more significant richness to the stock due to the high natural sugar content in onions. Onions, for instance, could be substituted for other alliums, such as leeks or shallots. While mirepoix is not a requirement for stocks, it is the core of what makes a good one.

>>> Download or print the Garden Vegetable Stock recipe here

If you won’t be using your food scraps within a few days, freeze your scraps until you’re ready to make your stock. Use the ends of vegetables, stems, and even the cloves in the middle of garlic that are too tiny to peel and chop.

Enjoy your vegetable stock creations!

The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi,

If you catch any of the news anywhere, it is hard to not to be pulled into a stress response. With so much change and uncertainty, anxiety can easily rear its head. 🤯

Are you having trouble staying grounded?

Do you want to shift your focus away from all the chaos?

We have the perfect workshop for you! Our friend Kami McBride is doing a free workshop on a soothing and healing remedy not just to your skin but to your whole body.

Kami has been teaching the art of herbalism to families for more than 25 years, and she’s produced a FREE workshop designed to teach you, step-by-step, how to make an herbal body butter that is…

💝 Deeply nourishing and healing

💝 Easy to make in your kitchen
💝 Fool-proof, even if you’re just starting out with herbs
💝 Safe for everyone, from babies and kids to teens and adults

Click the link below to watch her video and download the free recipe that tells you everything you need and exactly how to do it.

>>> Get your workshop and PDF download here!

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

P.S. This workshop is a great opportunity to create a gift for yourself…or for a loved one on your holiday gift list!

>>> Check it out!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

What measures are you taking to care for and improve your soil?​

In this week’s podcast, we’re joined for a second time by Andre Cantelmo, Co-Founder of Heron Pond Farm, located in South Hampton, New Hampshire. At Heron Pond Farm, Andre and his partner, Greg, strive to be biological farmers.

Heron Pond fertilizes almost all of their crops with composted chicken manure and just like many organic farms, they use biologically based pesticides. They use certified organic products, including fertilizer, for 90% of their crops. They don't spray any leafy greens or berries with anything, certified organic or not. They never use GMOs. Yes, even certified organic farms use pesticides.

Heron Pond is lucky to have a farm that has many fields far away from one another, which helps with pest control because it allows them to rotate crops out of the range of a particular insect or disease. The vast majority of their weed control is done with a flame weeder and cultivators.

Join us to hear in detail the story of this large thriving farming operation!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Holy arugula!

Our community is full of creative, determined people like you who have made gardening part of their lifestyle…no matter what time of year it is and no matter what kind of space they have.

Our friend Shannon from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has been growing with us for several years. And recently, she tackled a new project to grow greens year-round...an indoor closet garden!

Shannon’s closet garden has made a huge impact on her life and her health. 💪

>>> Check Shannon’s closet garden story here!

In this video, you’ll learn about Shannon’s closet garden setup and Stacey’s tips for increasing yields indoors:

💜 Avoid mold, disease, and bugs with proper airflow
💜 How to get the most out of your lighting
💜 Fertilization for maximum health and harvest

Are you ready to get creative with your space and overcome obstacles so you can grow all year long?

Watch your email for info about an exciting garden adventure…coming soon!

Let’s celebrate all gardens,
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi, as you may know, I'm passionate about gardening.

If YOU are also into growing your own food, medicinal herbs, and flowers (including edible ones you can also use medicinally!), you're going to love...

The Grow Network's free and highly anticipated Best of Home-Grown Summit right here

This event that you can enjoy from the comfort of your home provides you the 12 most-watched, highest rated presentations in The Grow Network's history.

It runs from Dec 2-4 and includes fascinating and very helpful presentations such as:

• Herbs Aren’t Kale: How To Grow Medicinal Herbs At Home
  • Edible Flowers: Using Them As Food & Medicine
  • Growing Great Garlic
  • Kitchen Medicine: More Medicinal Herbal Wonderments In Your Spice Drawer!
  • Defeating Garden Pests
  • How To Start Your First Vegetable Garden Without Breaking The Bank
Head here to find out more and sign up completely free

With the cold weather months here or coming for so many of us, this is an ideal way to break out of "cabin fever" while learning some really useful knowledge.

Plus, if you really enjoy this type of learning like I do and you want to add some Spring and sunshine to the coming winter months...

You'll see how you can get permanent access to every presentation from every single one of The Grow Network's outstanding Home-Grown Food Summits (over 145 presentations).

If you're into gardening and growing your own foods and "medicines," you're really going to ENJOY this free learning event!

FINALLY, with gardening in mind, and because smiles and laughter are always "good medicine"...

Here's a "dad joke" that makes my little kids giggle and is worth sharing with YOU:

Why should you never tell secrets in a garden?

Because the potatoes have eyes, the corn has earns, and the beanstalk!

;-)

Enjoy the fascinating and flat-out useful learning in The Grow Network's free Best-Of event right here and enjoy your day.

To Living Long and Living Well,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

The 5-Day Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure begins tomorrow! We are so excited to go on this adventure with you!

Set aside about 30 minutes each day to watch. Here’s the lineup of daily topics:

1️⃣ Supercalifragilistic Seeds: On Day 1, join Stacey for a guided visualization and the 5 things that can kill your magic garden before it starts.
2️⃣ Wonderful Water: On Day 2, discover the magic of water and the importance of a positive mindset.
3️⃣ Magic Micro-Heroes: On Day 3, learn about everything in the soil that is working for you and your garden.
4️⃣ Be-You-Tiful You: On Day 4, find out how to nurture yourself and your garden.
5️⃣ Loopty-Loos: On Day 5, grow your connection with nature and preview our Winter Garden Course.

…and that’s just a preview of what you’ll be getting! The daily events will have SO MUCH more for you to see and enjoy. And … there will be fantastical prizes given away each day!

There are two ways to watch the 5-Day Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure: LIVE on Facebook OR for 24 hours through the Grow Your Own Vegetables Event Portal.

>>> Click here to join our Facebook group (if you haven’t already). We’ll be going LIVE every day at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern from November 14th-18th.
>>> Click Here to access the Event Portal. Just log in, and you can watch each day of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure FREE for 24 hours starting at 10am PT.

Day 1 Kicks off on November 14th at 10am PT, and you will have 24 hours to watch it in the Event Portal. Then Day 2 will take its place on November 15th at 10 am PT. Then Day 3 will take over…you get the idea 😉

Here’s your login information for the Event Portal (save this!):

Click Here to Login:
Your username:
[email protected]
Your password: @QZsB8($

Once you’re inside the portal, look for this icon:
mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,
What are the best veggies to think about as the thermometer drops? And how should you store and prepare them — so they make your meals taste amazing?
Get the whole story on winter vegetables, and some fabulous recipes, here.
Yours for health in every season,
Ocean Robbins
P.S. Winter squash. Carrots. Onions. Winter cabbage. Dark leafy greens. Potatoes. Beets. Turnips. And more! Winter veggies are nutrient-dense. And they can also be delicious. Find out all about what you might want to be feeding your family this winter — right here.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Today we kicked off the first day of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure! And talk about a fantastical start. ✨

Day 1 was all about Supercalifragilistic Seeds.

mail

Thousands of gardeners have joined us on this adventure. Here are a few of their takeaways about Day 1 …

“Caring for my winter indoor garden gives me energy thinking of spring, nurturing seeds and then sharing the fruits of my labor with my family for healthier meals is amazing!” Lara P.

“Open my heart! Stop focusing on why this won't work - there are people all over doing this - I can, too!” Emily E.

“We all have (including seeds) everything we need to thrive for generations inside of us!” Lisa N.

“Get out of my head and just start! stop planning what I'll be doing on my balcony this spring and get my grow lights set up (and maybe they'll help with my SAD instead of the happy light I keep forgetting to use!)” Nadia L.

Day 1 will be available for you to watch on the Event Portal until 10am PT / 1pm ET tomorrow (Tuesday, November 15th).

>>> Click Here to access the Event Portal

Just in case, here’s your login information (save this!):

Your username:
[email protected]

mail

🎁And … you can still enter to WIN prizes for Day 1! Please email [email protected] and share a take-away from Day 1 and you may win a fantastical prize! 🥳

We’ll see you tomorrow for Day 2 … Wonder-full Water!

Planting supercalifragilistic seeds,

P.S. Don’t miss a thing!

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Day 2 of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure is all about Wonderful Water!

>>> Click Here to access the Event Portal and watch Day 2!

Here is what a few people had to share about Day 2…

“Our positive thoughts and emotions affect everything around us, including water.” Kay J.

“I love that you're talking about Dr Emoto...this is mind-blowing stuff--that changes EVERYTHING!!” Lee J.

“Winter is a wonderful time to learn new gardening techniques.” Tricia P.

Day 2 will be available for you to watch on the Event Portal until 10am PT / 1pm ET tomorrow (Wednesday, November 16th).

>>> Click Here to Access the Event Portal:
Your username:
[email protected]

mail

We’ll see you tomorrow for Day 3 … Magical Micro-Heroes!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,

We’re just a few weeks away from The Grow Network’s highly anticipated The Best of Home-Grown Summit.

The summit runs from December 2-4 and contains the 12 most-watched, highest rated presentations that The Grow Network has ever brought you.

These are the best of the best, and they’re bringing them together for a free 3-day viewing.

>> Grab your ticket by following this link
Here are just a few of the captivating presentations you’ll see…

David the Good
“How To Start Your First Vegetable Garden Without Breaking The Bank”​
  • The easiest way to build your first garden bed, and the tools every gardener needs to have.
  • Discover how to feed your garden without spending a dime!
  • Set yourself up for success with the easiest vegetables to grow – even if you’ve never grown anything else before.
Kevin Espiritu
“Container & Raised-Bed Gardening”​
  • How to avoid the biggest container gardening mistakes right from the start.
  • Why container gardening is a surprisingly powerful method for growing an abundance of nutritious food.
  • How to choose varieties that will thrive in containers.
Anne-Marie "Dash" Miller
“Defeating Garden Pests”​
  • Learn to tell the difference between a squash bug and a vine borer.
  • How to use beneficial insects to help combat those not-so-beneficial types.
  • See how to make a beautiful squash trellis for pennies!
Lori Valentine Rose, PhD, RH
“Herbs Aren't Kale: How To Grow Medicinal Herbs At Home”​
  • How to navigate the difficult seed-starting techniques of medicinal herbs
  • Detailed guidance on growing 16 medicinal herbs
  • How to create the right environment to grow and reproduce your own medicinal herbs at home.
If you haven’t signed up for the summit yet, what are you waiting for?

>> Go here to save your seat.
Wishing you abundant health,

Jason Prall

P.S. With the rising costs of food along with disruptions in the supply chains and global instability, now is the perfect time to learn how to grow some of your favorite herbs, fruits, and vegetables.

Click here now to join the fun!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

It’s almost time for our 3rd and most magical day yet! 🪄

>>> Join us live on Facebook at 10am PT / 1pm ET!

[Convert time to your time zone]

mail

Today’s theme is Magical Micro-Heroes!

Just because you can’t see something doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

Like in Harry Potter when Hagrid tells Harry he is a wizard…Harry doesn’t see there is a whole world of magic going on right around him!

mail

…Just like you might not see the Magical Micro-Heroes of your garden! The bacteria, fungi, and other microorganisms that we can’t see keep your plants strong and healthy every day.

In today’s session, you’ll learn about…

🌱 5 beneficial magical micro-heroes
🌱 Microorganisms delivering nutrients to our plants
🌱 Bacteria and its key role
🌱 Nutrient cycling
🌱 Rhizophagy: the escape hatches for microbes

There are two ways to watch the 5-Day Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure: LIVE on Facebook OR for 24 hours through the Grow Your Own Vegetables Event Portal.

>>> Click here to join our Facebook group (if you haven’t already). We’ll be going LIVE every day at 10am Pacific / 1pm Eastern from November 14th-18th.
>>> Click Here to access the Event Portal. Just log in, and you can watch each day of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure FREE for 24 hours starting at 10am PT.

Here’s your login information for the Event Portal (save this!):

Click Here to Login:
Your username:
[email protected]

mail

And guess what?!! We are giving away MORE fantastical prizes again today! Join us to get the scoop on how to enter to win. 🎁

Don't forget to bring your wand to class!

mail

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Event: It’s a Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure!
People from around the world are embarking on this week’s free 5-Day Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure! This event focuses on how mindset affects not only you…but also your garden.

This event is like no other garden training event out there! Here’s what a few people had to share yesterday…

“My favorite takeaway is the importance of acts of true love, and that they don't always happen without effort. Our water, plants, and our planet all want more love!” ~ Wendy

“Confirmation that our gardens, our plants, our families, our homes need "cariño"...deep affection.” ~ Dora

“Positive mindset is everything!” ~ Maureen

For those of you who have joined us for Days 1 and 2, please share your takeaway’s over on our Facebook group!

It’s not too late to join in on the fun! We still have lots to cover!

Magic Micro-Heroes: Learn about everything in the soil that is working for you and your garden.
Be-You-Tiful You: Find out how to nurture yourself and your garden.
Loopty-Loos: Grow your connection with nature.​
Tis’ the Season for Cover Crops!
Maximize soil fertility to maximize your harvest!

Cover crops add a protective layer to your garden and preserves your soil microbiology for spring. PLUS, they add nutrients to your soil … creating an organic mulch. 🙌

If you're trying to maximize your harvest, it won't be long until you become obsessed with improving your soil fertility. And if you have a small garden space and/or a short growing season... you may find yourself wondering if you should plant more fall crops or cover crop your garden for spring. Here's Stacey's best trick for doing BOTH. Because fall crops taste the sweetest on those cool mornings AND your soil biology is crying out to be fed each year, too.

💚 Share the Love 💚 While you're on YouTube watching this video, give the video a Like 👍 and hit the Subscribe button to stay in the the loop about our new videos.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail

Day 4 of your Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure starts soon!

>>> Join us live on Facebook at 10am PT / 1pm ET!

[Convert time to your time zone]

Today’s theme is Bea-YOU-tiful YOU! And our character of the day is…The Grinch! 🎄😲

mail

The Grinch…

🎄 Wasn’t much of a role model for most of his life
🎄 Saw himself as more of a villain than a hero
🎄 Didn’t carry the “spirit” or tone of a happy successful gardener

…But please don’t give up on him just yet!

One way you can almost certainly love the Grinch is by thinking about him as The Most Improved Character in the story!

After all, you are looking for improvement, not perfection! And no one lives out this spirit like the Grinch. He goes from “World’s Worst Person to Invite to a Holiday Party” to the “Guest of Honor” at the Whoville Christmas dinner… in less than one night!

Progress is what matters here! Which is why Day 4 of our adventure is an opportunity to look inward.

Gardens take time, love, and patience. You want to give yourself the space and energy to succeed. That means you can be ok with making mistakes and learning before labeling yourself a “brown thumb.”

Which is why we’ll be focusing on YOU today! Some of the things we will talk about are…

✨ Trusting yourself
✨ New lessons you can learn on your journey
✨ Finding what you want to nurture in your life
✨ Finding the good in your garden and your life
✨ Self-care and forgiveness when things go wrong

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Composting and Soil
with Stan Slaughter
Nov. 12, 2022 | Lawrence, Kansas
TOMORROW! Learn the art and science of composting and healthy soil! In the Composting and Soil workshop with Stan Slaughter you will learn how to install and create a compost and soil that delivers! Join us at the Douglas County Fairgrounds in Lawrence, Kansas, November 12, 2022, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. for this wonderful hands-on workshop, part of the Self-Sufficiency Saturdays series! If you select the lunch included ticket option, you can enjoy the catered lunch as well (vegetarian or gluten-free meal options are available upon request if specified during your purchase). The day’s activities will also include a Garden Tour and a Social Hour!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Day 5 of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure is all about Loopty Loos!

Check it out for gardener takeaways, maximizing learning cycles, and your next steps toward a thriving winter garden!

Day 5 will be available for you to watch until 10am PT / 1pm ET tomorrow (Saturday, November 19th).

>>> Click Here to access Day 5 on the Event Portal

What a beautiful 5 days we have had together! ❄️

Some of you have reached out saying you missed a day and asked if there was any way you could still watch it.

So we have set it up for you to catch any days you missed. 🤗

>>> Access all five days of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure until 11:59 PT!

mail

Just log in and you can watch each day of the Fantastical Winter Garden Adventure before tomorrow at 11:59pm PT.

>>> Click Here to Access the Event Portal:
Your username:
[email protected]

mail

Thank you for being part of this adventure with us!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It's almost that time of year again to start your seeds

Free Shipping on all orders
Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday
Free Shipping on all orders.
Use code: GIVETHANKS at checkout

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey Jimi,
If you’re in the United States…
Happy Thanksgiving!
If you have ever wondered how you can actually afford to eat nearly 100% organic, or even just how to have more than you need…
If you’ve realized true wealth is not found in the almighty dollar, but don’t know how to make the shift in your daily life…
If you are tired of relying on wasteful, earth-destroying factory-farming-dependent supply chains that are severely affected by weather, fuel prices, pandemics, natural disasters and more…
Then you want to act fast and claim your FREE ticket to the food event of the year.
>> The Best of Home Grown Food Summit starts December 2
Gardening and sustainability expert Marjory Wildcraft has decades of experience and has taught hundreds of thousands of people how easy it is to free yourself from having to rely on our fragile commercial food supply chains.
And when you finally break free, you ensure food security for you and your family.
In fact, she can show you how to grow HALF your food in just your backyard (or rooftop)...investing just one hour per day!
But that’s not all…
The Best of Home Grown Food Summit brings together 12 additional experts to offer even deeper insights into how you can find genuine happiness, peace, and fulfillment…
While you grow true wealth for yourself, your family, and your community.
This free, 3-day online event starts Friday, December 2nd.
>> Register now & join me!
Wishing you abundant health,
Jason Prall

P.S. With the rising costs of food along with disruptions in the supply chains and global instability, now is the perfect time to learn how to grow some of your favorite herbs, fruits, and vegetables.

Click here now to join the fun!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Hi Jimi,

Are you looking to get started in gardening or farming but aren’t sure how? Do you want to find a way to give back to your community? Maybe you are worried you won’t be able to make money, OR you are already growing and selling, but money is tight…

Our friend, Michael Kilpatrick, is here to help with the Thriving Farmer Summit! He’s a farmer, homesteader, entrepreneur, and host of the popular Thriving Farmer Podcast. He’s lined up over 37 farming experts who are sharing their best advice on how to add more income to your farm or homestead at the…

>>> Virtual Thriving Farmer Summit: Value-added! Click here to grab your free ticket

Enjoy hearing from 37+ experts who share everything from:

🥒 How they switched from a CSA farm to fermenting vegetables
🍕 How they added an on-farm pizza night and used all their excess bounty
📸 How to build your brand and take amazing product photos
🏫 How to find innovative ways to profit from on-farm experiences and education opportunities
💲 How to get started with your value-added kitchen

… and so much more!

Some of the speakers started in their backyards or on vacant lots. Some, never thought they would be farmers, are starting their second careers and thriving!

Some of the things you’ll learn from these expert speakers are…

✳️ How to get grants to grow your business
✳️ How fermenting, drying, and freezing provide optionality for crops
✳️ Is growing for your sole income the right fit for you
✳️ How to start a wild-foraging business
✳️ The top products and enterprises behind highly profitable businesses

If you ever wondered if you could serve your community AND make a profit from doing what you love, then this is THE event for you! .

And best of all, it is 100% FREE, and it’s happening SOON!

>>> Click here to grab your free ticket now.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mail
Hey Jimi,

The presentations for the Thriving Farmer Summit: Value-Added starts tomorrow! Our very own Stacey Murphy will be presenting tomorrow and you won’t want to miss it!

>>> Click here to get the All Access Pass now

We are so excited about these speakers who are sharing amazing things like:

💸 Why value-adding is important for our well-being
💸 How to create your own value-adds in as little as a few weeks
💸 How to turn your passion into profits

Truly, there’s something for everyone!

This is a free summit

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I hope you’re as excited as I am about the first day of the Best of Home Grown Food Summit! These presentations really are the best of the best!

Today, we’re featuring presentations about gardening in containers and raised beds, and starting your first vegetable garden without breaking the bank. You’ll also be introduced to some fantastic (and inexpensive) homemade fertilizers, and the surprisingly captivating world of compost.

Watch Today's Video Presentations Here!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It’s day 2 of the Best of Home Grown Food Summit! Are you ready to watch?

Today, we’ll learn the secrets to growing great garlic and medicinal herbs, as well as effective and safe strategies for keeping garden pests from ruining our harvests.

And I’ll be bringing you a guide to growing food in our ever-changing climate.

Watch Today's Videos Here.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

It’s the last day of the Best of Home Grown Food Summit. I hope you’ve been enjoying it as much as I have!

We’re ending strong with a collection of presentations about home grown medicines. Today you’ll learn about natural protocols for common viruses, the surprising herbal remedies you already have in your spice drawer, edible and medicinal flowers, and how to build your own homeopathic first aid kit.

These are some of my favorites, and I’m sure you’ll get as much out of them as I have.

Remember that you’ll have 24 hours to watch these videos for free. You can pause, skip ahead, rewind, and rewatch until the summit ends.

Click Here to Watch the Day 3 Videos!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Mason Bees: 5 reasons you want them in your garden​

VU Sponsors