Become a Patron!

Garden time is coming

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I had a lot of veggies last week(sorry no pictures) and gave a bunch to my son,my daughter and my dad- everyone in the family loves my garden- LOL- I sure can't eat everything I grow and not ready for freezing and canning now.
I bet they enjoy them, homegrown always tastes better.;)
It can amaze you just how much a garden can put out, that's for sure.:huh:
Sounds like you are havin fun with you garden :bliss:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I bet they enjoy them, homegrown always tastes better.;)
It can amaze you just how much a garden can put out, that's for sure.:huh:
Sounds like you are havin fun with you garden :bliss:
Yep the family is amazed on how big my veggies are and how good they taste. I am glad I tried a veggie garden this year and thinking about what veggies I will plant next Spring. I think I need to get some canning jars and my son has one of those seal a meal things so I can shrink wrap and freeze some too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep the family is amazed on how big my veggies are and how good they taste. I am glad I tried a veggie garden this year and thinking about what veggies I will plant next Spring. I think I need to get some canning jars and my son has one of those seal a meal things so I can shrink wrap and freeze some too.
Yes do both, nothin like something from the garden in the dead middle of winter ;)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Healthy Soils Support Life​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi -

We realize some of you were away playing last weekend for some end of summer fun! ☀️

And … because we know you were interested in the Preserve & Store the Harvest Masterclass, we didn’t want you to miss out on watching this Masterclass! You’ll learn how preserving your own food can help you…

💰 Save money on your grocery bill
❤️ Improve the nutrient density of your food
🥗 Make meal planning systematic so that it becomes a habit
🍅 Unleash your culinary creativity to create recipes you love

You can preserve foods from the farmer’s market, and even from the grocery store, if you know what to look for.

RIGHT NOW, you could stock your kitchen with funky fermented greens, frozen pestos for last minute meals, and homemade jams for the year!

We would hate for you to miss out on all the benefits of preserving and storing food just because you didn’t know what was possible.

So we’re hosting a replay of this special Masterclass with Stacey Murphy to help make it all easier.

>>> Watch the Masterclass here: 3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving and Storing the Harvest: Enjoy Fresh, Organic Vegetables & Herbs All Year Long

You’ll discover:

🍅 6 simple ways to stock your pantry full of fresh goodies
🍄 A counter-intuitive strategy for saving 40% on your grocery bill every year
🌽 How to think like a flavor ninja and create delicious meals from basic garden ingredients
🧅 The one trick to preserve the essentials in just a couple hours

Imagine fresh meals just waiting for you and your loved ones to enjoy. Makes cooking a healthy dinner (any time of year) so much simpler ;)

Here’s what students are saying about this Masterclass:

Enjoy fresh food all year long,

🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

p.s. Catch the masterclass TODAY. You’ll also receive our Quick eGuide for Preserving the Harvest. It will help you discover which techniques are right for your lifestyle.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Winter Gardening Tips: Vegetables that Grow in Winter​

Don’t limit your harvests to summer! You can also garden with vegetables that grow in winter. Take a chance on crops that grow in cold weather.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Your Garden’s Soil pH Matters​

Get savvy about soil pH! Learn how to raise pH in soil and how to decrease soil pH to produce the healthiest crops and the highest yields.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Preparing the Winter Garden​

Get a leg up for next season! Learn about winter garden preparation for spring, including growing cold hardy vegetables and starting spring greens.​

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
More harvest from my garden- I think it is the end for my summer squash and egg plants- cucumbers are still going strong along with the tomatoes. My green pepper plants snapped in half from the weight. Waiting for my 4 watermelons to get bigger.

20220913_095402.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
More harvest from my garden- I think it is the end for my summer squash and egg plants- cucumbers are still going strong along with the tomatoes. My green pepper plants snapped in half from the weight. Waiting for my 4 watermelons to get bigger.

View attachment 197125
Those are beautiful :bliss: .
My summer squash gave up already, about a week ago:(. Last year I put in a late crop of summer squash, first time I had ever harvested any in October.
Yes sweet peppers sometimes do put on more than the plant can take. I use those wire tomato baskets when they do that so they can't bend enough to bust under the load.
I wish I had the spare room for watermelons.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Those are beautiful :bliss: .
My summer squash gave up already, about a week ago:(. Last year I put in a late crop of summer squash, first time I had ever harvested any in October.
Yes sweet peppers sometimes do put on more than the plant can take. I use those wire tomato baskets when they do that so they can't bend enough to bust under the load.
I wish I had the spare room for watermelons.
Thanks Jimi- already thinking on my garden for next year. My dad loves all my veggies and he never tried egg plant parm before and a lady made it for him and he loves it, so more egg plants for next year! My cucumbers are so big, they grew so fast. My tomatoes are huge too, my dad is amazed, he barely had any this year and he said his never got a big as mine and he has had a veggie garden for 40 years, lol!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am so glad your garden has done so well :bliss: . Yup the gardening bug has bite you and you body will thank you for it too;). After a few years you might think about starting all your plants from seed, it gives you such a larger variety to choose from.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Can you guess what my favorite fruit or vegetable is to preserve?

Actually, it’s both a fruit and a vegetable.

Yep, tomatoes! 🍅

Botanically, it’s a fruit, but we use it like a vegetable - and there are so many ways to preserve it that our family LOVES.

Today I’m just going to list some of my favorite ways to preserve my favorite tomatoes:

I hope if you’ve got tomatoes to put up that this list has been helpful and inspiring for you - with these you can definitely find a way to keep that yummy fresh tomato flavor going through the year!

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I am putting this here for @SnapDragon NY cause she grew melons this year
Hard to know when is a good time to pick them, watched a few videos on how to know a ripe watermelon, hopefully I have a few more weeks until frost hits for them to ripen.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Watermelon's are done when the small tendril closest to the fruit is tan colored and DRY ;)
Yes I saw that and the bottom should be a yellow color- these melons are small, much smaller than I see in the store, I have to look at the tag to know what variety they are. I will take pics of them tomorrow since it is dark and cloudy today, not a good days for photos

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your garden’s bounty sometimes hides in plain sight…until you shift your perspective!

Seeds are an easy garden bounty to miss.

When you have seeds (aka homegrown spices) on hand, it is easy to add a delicious blend of flavors to a dry rub mix, soup, salad dressing, or anything else you can think of.

Coriander (cilantro), fennel, celery, and poppy seeds are all rockstars in the kitchen 🤩

mail

Harvesting coriander and celery seeds is a great way to use a plant that has bolted (flowered and gone to seed). Fennel plants produce vast amounts of seeds, and the bees and their friends will thank you for these bright yellow flowers. Poppies are a beautiful spring flower, and their seed pods produce a bountiful harvest.

🌿 Coriander, or cilantro seed, is a great addition to curry, fish, ham, lamb, lentils, pork, stuffing, tomatoes, and turkey (for an upcoming holiday maybe?).

🌿 Fennel seeds pair well with bouillabaisse, cabbage, chicken, cucumbers, duck, eggs, figs, fish, goose, herring, lentils, mackerel, olives, poultry, red mullet, salami, sauerkraut, sausage, sea bass, seafood, soup, suckling pig, tomatoes, and veal.

🌿 Celery seeds pair well with eggplant, eggs, fish, peas, potatoes, stuffing, and tomatoes.

🌿 Poppy seeds pair well with breads, curries, fruit, noodles, and rice.

*These suggested ingredient pairings are sourced from Culinary Artistry by Andrew Dornenburg and Karen Page

To harvest your coriander, fennel, and celery seeds, let them dry fully. Then separate the seeds from their stem and other debris (the “chaff”). Often, you can blow the chaff away with a gentle fan while leaving behind the seeds in a bowl.

Poppies are even easier to harvest! Simply snip poppy plants that have finished producing seeds, and shake them over a tarp. You’ll get all of the seed with no chaff to filter out.

Once you’ve collected your seeds and separated them from their chaff, be sure to fry them fully, label them, and then seal them tight and store away in a cool, dark place.

Enjoy your garden’s bounty!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For a long time I have tried to think of a usage for the seeds and membrane from my hot peppers' I have always thrown away the seeds and the membrane which is the hottest part.
The other day I had to replace a water heater in my house and am still sore from haulin it down the stairs and the old one back up and out of the house.
Today I come up with the idea of infusing the seeds and membrane in a natural carrier oil like organic fractionated coconut oil or even organic olive oil.
I have infused many herbs and figure I will do it the same way to make a truly safe topical pain lotion.
When I cut my red P peppers my hands burn for days, yes days, but any hot pepper would work.
It's kinda like a duel purpose oil if you make it in olive oil you can cook with it too, I like hot spicy food.

My reason for doin this is that anything you eat, drink breath, or comes in contact with our skin our LIVERS have to process. In todays world of vast toxins your liver is taxed anyway so why add to it when you can use/make a natural for free.

I have a batch working right now.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[Health Event] Feel Good Again
Our friends at Food Revolution Network have just created a brand-new Tackling Type 2 Masterclass — and you’re invited!

It’s free and hosted by award-winning diabetes expert Brenda Davis, RD, and our good friend, Food Revolution Network cofounder Ocean Robbins.

You’ll learn:
🍓 Which so-called “health foods” can cause Type 2 diabetes
🍓 Powerful foods that can prevent and reverse Type 2 diabetes (newsflash: certain kinds of fruit are on the list!)
🍓10 diabetes breakthroughs that are so new, many doctors don’t know about them
🍓 And much more!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

What is your favorite type of pepper - hot or sweet?

Or maybe it’s both, like me. 😀

I grow sweet peppers for fresh eating, sometimes pickling, and always freezing.

Frozen chopped peppers are so easy to use in soups, stews, and stir fries all winter long.

I also grow 3-4 different kinds of hot peppers to use in salsas, to pickle, and to freeze and use in recipes, too.

Honestly, I don’t think I could choose!

While you can preserve peppers many different way, when you have a lot at one time, freezing is the way to go!

See how easy it is to freeze both sweet and hot peppers by clicking below:

mail
Even More Ways to Preserve Peppers:

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For a long time I have tried to think of a usage for the seeds and membrane from my hot peppers' I have always thrown away the seeds and the membrane which is the hottest part.
The other day I had to replace a water heater in my house and am still sore from haulin it down the stairs and the old one back up and out of the house.
Today I come up with the idea of infusing the seeds and membrane in a natural carrier oil like organic fractionated coconut oil or even organic olive oil.
I have infused many herbs and figure I will do it the same way to make a truly safe topical pain lotion.
When I cut my red P peppers my hands burn for days, yes days, but any hot pepper would work.
It's kinda like a duel purpose oil if you make it in olive oil you can cook with it too, I like hot spicy food.

My reason for doin this is that anything you eat, drink breath, or comes in contact with our skin our LIVERS have to process. In todays world of vast toxins your liver is taxed anyway so why add to it when you can use/make a natural for free.

I have a batch working right now.
Brilliant idea. Did it work for sore muscles?

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes I saw that and the bottom should be a yellow color- these melons are small, much smaller than I see in the store, I have to look at the tag to know what variety they are. I will take pics of them tomorrow since it is dark and cloudy today, not a good days for photos
One time I brought home an organic mini seedless watermelon from the store. The bag was tied shut. I set it down in the kitchen while putting away other groceries, and then I forgot about the watermelon. I came across it a week later, expected it to be smothered and rotted, still tied up in that bag. It was perfect: ripe, sweet, ready.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 197125
Seeing all of this garden genius gives me hope.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
More harvested veggies and a watermelon from my garden- gave my neighbor half the watermelon , she gave me the plant. 3 more still growing in the garden. I gave my neighbors some veggies, and going to drop off more to my dad. I can't possibly eat all the veggies I grow since I don't have my canning gear and vacuum sealer for freezing yet. I had no idea my garden would produce so much and pleased with how it all worked out. Will definitely do another garden next year! Thinking of different veggies to add.

20220924_102517.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Brilliant idea. Did it work for sore muscles?
Ok I tried this today for my soreness and it did give a mild warm sensation but needs to be much stronger :( .... so ....I have to wait till more red peppers get ripe. In this batch I used both hot banana peppers and the hotter red peter peppers;).

Also thinking it would be great just as a seasoned oil.:)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How To Ferment Salsa​

Read on to see how to ferment salsa at home with minimal equipment. Learn how to make fermented salsa without whey that's rich in nutrients and flavor.​

Easy Homemade Hot Sauce​

With this easy homemade hot sauce you can approximate one of the world’s tastiest hot sauces, Tabasco sauce, right in your home kitchen. A simple hot sauce recipe.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What is the single best thing you can do to prepare for next season’s garden?

Take time to reflect on this season’s garden!

We talk about growing seasons in linear terms like “this year” and “next season,” but in reality, our gardens are a continuous cycle ♻️

The cyclical nature of gardening means the first step of preparation is reflection.

>>> Reflect on your garden with the Crop Evaluation Worksheet

Unfortunately, many of us don’t take time to stop to reflect–and we’re leaving valuable insights, time, and money on the table.

GYOV founder Stacey Murphy is a big proponent of the Pareto Principle, which states that 80% of your results come from 20% of your effort.

No matter what your situation, your time and energy are limited resources. Reflection allows you to focus your effort on the 20% that makes a difference–instead of the 80% that doesn’t add much.

By taking just a little time to reflect now, you can be even more prepared for next season because you’ll have a better idea of where to focus your efforts.

>>> Start preparing for next season with the Crop Evaluation Worksheet

This downloadable worksheet is one of many resources in our thriving online garden community, Harvest Club.

In this worksheet, you’ll reflect on:

🥦 What crops experienced issues
🍅 What may have contributed to problems (Pests? Nutrient deficiencies? Inadequate sunlight?)
🧅 Your wins & what you’ll do next season to feel great about your garden
🌽 Next season’s most important action steps to nourish your garden (so it can nourish you!)

The worksheet includes longform and quick form options, so you can take advantage no matter how much (or little) time you have.

Because just a little reflection now can count as a lot of preparation later!

Even if your growing season is still in full swing, download the worksheet so you can have it ready when it’s time to reflect on this year’s success and prepare for the future.

Let’s get ready for a bountiful future!

🌱 Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

P.S. Interested in more tools for reflection? Reply to this email if you would be interested in a Micro Course about the why's and how's of garden journaling.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How To Keep Indoor Plants Healthy and Happy​

Learn all about indoor plants and how to keep your indoor plants healthy. Ensure that your indoor plants have what they need to flourish all year.​

VU Sponsors