Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
They look so good. ;) :)
Thanks Jimi- there will be a lot more on the way- lol!
Glad I tried a veggie garden this year- it will be a bit bigger next year, already thinking of what I want to plant for next year.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Might try some taders, they taste so much different than the store ones, as much difference as garden green beans and canned gbeans but you might wanna have Cliff dig them up when they are done ;) . I just put Green beans in a week ago, really playin it close this year.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Might try some taders, they taste so much different than the store ones, as much difference as garden green beans and canned gbeans but you might wanna have Cliff dig them up when they are done ;) . I just put Green beans in a week ago, really playin it close this year.
Yes will grow potatoes next year- and no green beans and peas- they did terrible, waste of space- lol!
I want to grow butternut squash next year.
My watermelon has almost 10ft long arms full of flowers , not one watermelon- ugh

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes please do, they are so much better for you homegrown. I wrote a thing about planting them that might be helpful.
Awe sorry about your beans and peas, peas haveta go in early to preform well and beans shoulda done well, hmmm. They take quite a bit of water when young.
I love butternut squash. I grow one that's small 1 to 2 person size, I'd haveta look up the name :facepalm:. I'll post a pic when they come.
I also grew deliacata (sweet potato squash) love them too.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I've grown potatoes before when I lived on a farm- all I did was take potato skins I peeled and thew them in furrows and buried them- by Fall we had potatoes- lol. Wondering if onions would do OK here, would like to try them too. Oh and beets too.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've grown potatoes before when I lived on a farm- all I did was take potato skins I peeled and thew them in furrows and buried them- by Fall we had potatoes- lol. Wondering if onions would do OK here, would like to try them too. Oh and beets too.
Ok you should do great then, never heard of anyone using peels though, I'll haveta try that next year.
Onions usually go in early in the year but bunching onions< I think, would still be an option but watch the amount of days to harvest.

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This month, learn how to take care of the rascals without poisoning the food you eat. I promise it’s possible!
Hi Jimi,

No time to hang around the forum today, so I'm just popping in to reply on that and offer you the link below to an enchanting travelogue. In the pre-internet era when magazines were popular, even then I never bought Food and Wine or those kinds of things. I'd read them if they were in a waiting room at the dentist or auto mechanic's, but I feel like some of the YouTube amateur documentaries replace those rags so well. It's better.

Anyway, I felt you would enjoy this. Long before the so called Green New Deal, I felt that life could be better than it is, especially in cities, but the focus is on taking things away from people, rather than seriously planning better ways to do things.

This is from June 2022, a young woman's visit to her relatives in Moldova. You see the grandmother getting around in her horse drawn cart, the farm life, people walking everywhere they go, days of fruit picking, the brightly painted homes, the tradition of murals, the ancient fences and gates along the road, the village in the shadow of that fabulous duomo, and oh, life is but a dream (except for a lot of really hard work :treadmill:). But it doesn't look like the grandmother minds spending an afternoon making pasta or pitting cherries. Even when they brush the pastry with egg wash they're using a bundle of twigs! I was surprised, at 18:05, to see the homestead's water supply, a deep well.

I don't think all the cows belong to one farm. I think I understand they graze on a commons, then return to each home in the evening. I got that when the cousin was said to be waiting for "her cow" to come home.

But the whole point of bringing you this is, when the narrator shows grandpa's potato plot infested with bugs (at 30:08), and you see him walking through with a pesticide sprayer strapped to his back, your heart drops. Until she explains "he's spraying hot pepper water".

I had a brief couple of years growing food when I had the space and time to do it, and I really believe, and agree with you wholeheartedly, if the soil is prepared right, and you're growing what is appropriate to your climate, the beneficial insects will come to help you, and there are simple, natural fixes for harmful pests.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Build Your Garden Soil By Adding Nitrogen to Wood Chips​

Learn about wood chip mulch pros and cons and why you should be adding nitrogen to wood chips for long-term benefits in the garden.​

4 Rules for Weedless Gardening​

Learn how to keep weeds out of a vegetable garden by following these four simple rules. Organic weedless gardening is not as impossible an idea as it seems!​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Cost-Effective Mulching With Leaves​

Try mulching with leaves for a cost-effective alternative to commercial mulches. Shredded leaves control weed growth while providing soil with organic nutrients.​

How to Make a Soil Sifter​

Learn how to make a soil sifter that takes the weight off your back with these plans for a wheeled sifting box in a frame.​
Advertisement​

Native Earth - Rooted in the Art of Plant Care​

Introducing Native Earth lawn & garden products.
Rooted in the art of plant care, Native Earth offers a full system of easy, safe, professional-grade products that are perfectly formulated to mix and match based on your lawn and garden needs.
Native Earth products are naturally-based using the best raw materials.
Learn why Native Earth products work.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

No time to hang around the forum today, so I'm just popping in to reply on that and offer you the link below to an enchanting travelogue. In the pre-internet era when magazines were popular, even then I never bought Food and Wine or those kinds of things. I'd read them if they were in a waiting room at the dentist or auto mechanic's, but I feel like some of the YouTube amateur documentaries replace those rags so well. It's better.

Anyway, I felt you would enjoy this. Long before the so called Green New Deal, I felt that life could be better than it is, especially in cities, but the focus is on taking things away from people, rather than seriously planning better ways to do things.

This is from June 2022, a young woman's visit to her relatives in Moldova. You see the grandmother getting around in her horse drawn cart, the farm life, people walking everywhere they go, days of fruit picking, the brightly painted homes, the tradition of murals, the ancient fences and gates along the road, the village in the shadow of that fabulous duomo, and oh, life is but a dream (except for a lot of really hard work :treadmill:). But it doesn't look like the grandmother minds spending an afternoon making pasta or pitting cherries. Even when they brush the pastry with egg wash they're using a bundle of twigs! I was surprised, at 18:05, to see the homestead's water supply, a deep well.

I don't think all the cows belong to one farm. I think I understand they graze on a commons, then return to each home in the evening. I got that when the cousin was said to be waiting for "her cow" to come home.

But the whole point of bringing you this is, when the narrator shows grandpa's potato plot infested with bugs (at 30:08), and you see him walking through with a pesticide sprayer strapped to his back, your heart drops. Until she explains "he's spraying hot pepper water".

I had a brief couple of years growing food when I had the space and time to do it, and I really believe, and agree with you wholeheartedly, if the soil is prepared right, and you're growing what is appropriate to your climate, the beneficial insects will come to help you, and there are simple, natural fixes for harmful pests.
Thank you for this, watchin it right now :)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Have you run into some garden challenges this season where pests and diseases found your crops, affected your harvest, and bummed you out. 😞

You are not alone! That’s all part of the growing season.

But the secret is managing them right. Because there are a lot of things you can do to get ahead of the life cycle of pests, diseases, and weeds. 🐛🌿

That’s why we offer the 4-Step Pest & Disease Management Process!

We call this a micro course because you can get through it in just a few hours and it is offered at a great value!

But that doesn’t mean it’s not chock-full of preventative strategies you can start implementing immediately to help keep your crop healthy.

This course is based on the pest and disease management systems that a lot of real, full-time organic farmers use. But we’ve simplified it so that any backyard gardener can use it too:

1. Observe and “scout” for pests & diseases throughout the season
2. Create a plan for interrupting life cycles of pests & diseases
3. Evaluate how well your strategies paid off
4. Incorporate lessons learned into next year

This course gives you over 40 different strategies to help prevent pests and diseases without using any toxic chemicals or poisons.

Be the boss of your garden! You can have bigger, healthier harvests and feel like you’re in control of your garden again. And that’s the #1 thing that will keep you happy and motivated in your garden for years to come.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[Free Resource] 3 Strategies for an Abundant Garden
What if the food you grew was all you needed to encourage a lifetime of health and well-being for one hundred years and beyond?

We have noticed people get stuck in all the same places which boils down to one of two things: missing information about climate and local conditions or a misunderstanding of how to use the local climate data.

This has led to a ton of conflicting (and quite often, bad) garden advice online that then leads perfectly smart and capable people to believe they can’t grow and think they have a brown thumb, possibly even falling into the trap of garden shame.

So… If your garden isn’t as bountiful as you want… If it feels like a lot of hard work… If your neighbors or friends have gorgeous plants and yours doesn’t look like a postcard… If you’re wondering if all your efforts are going to pay off… Or you’re thinking about giving up altogether… Get ready to BUST through some of the most common garden myths that may be holding you back from getting the abundance you want from your best garden year yet!

Inside this resource about climate, you will learn…

🥦 Being able to grow an abundance of fresh food year round using just three simple strategies, no matter where you live.
🥦 Knowing exactly where your food was grown.
🥦 Tasting flavorful and delicious organic food that’s packed with nutrition.
🥦 Eating food and herbs that prevent chronic disease.
🥦 Enjoying the peace of mind that comes from a green lifestyle all year round.
🥦 Supporting and preserving the planet for future generations.​
[Video] Escape Garden Overwhelm
Overwhelm can creep in and keep you from getting things done in the garden and make you fall even MORE behind. What do you do?
If your garden is exploding with an abundance and you find yourself feeling overwhelmed or like you are losing the battle, don’t give up!

There's actually a gift hidden in the garden overwhelm.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Climate Victory Garden Series:
Utilizing the Greenhouse​
NEW EPISODE (AND IT’S FREE!) Join Haley Hopkins, greenhouse manager at Congaree and Penn, as she demonstrates the propagation of rare and heirloom seeds in this installment of the Climate Victory Garden Series on Mother Earth News Fair Online. See how Congaree and Penn utilize nasturtium in their plans, from interplanting with squash to attract beneficial insects to serving nasturtium in their on-site restaurant. Haley also discusses field preparation, including the use of a silage tarp to reduce weed pressure. This new video of the series has been posted, and you can watch it in its entirety here – just click the “View” button to check it out!

Access to this series is FREE thanks to our sponsor Greenhouse Megastore! Don’t miss out!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi -

Are you looking for new inspiration for how to use your garden bounty in a delicious way?

Then you are in for a tasty treat!

These recipes are sure to delight your palate.

>>> Download your copy of “Tasty Recipes for Preserving Your Harvest”

These recipes utilize minimal common ingredients and each carry unique flavors.

Whether you are using your own harvest, shopping at the farmers market or even the grocery store … these recipes combine quality vegetables, fruits and herbs into savory dishes that you can delight your friends and family over your next shared meal.

Enjoy adding new flavor to your meals,
🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
For those who grow maters

Homemade Tomato Soup Recipe​

This recipe for homemade tomato soup is easy to make and fairly quick, making it a weeknight option, plus it tastes so good you'll never go back to soup out of a can.

Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins

Course: Soups
Cuisine: American

Yield: 8 servings

Author: Jami Boys

Ingredients​

• 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 2 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme optional
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1 TB. chopped fresh in season
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 4 cups chopped tomatoes or 3 14-ounce cans
  • 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock

Instructions​

• Melt the butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
  • Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Blend with an immersion blender (or in batches in a blender) until smooth.
  • When serving, garnish with sliced green onions, parsley, or fresh basil.

Notes​

Using the thyme and basil gives it a pizza-like flavor, leave out if you'd prefer or replace with oregano.

You can replace 1/4 cup of the stock with orange juice for a unique, bright flavor.

Nutrition​

Serving: 1cup | Calories: 97kcal | Carbohydrates: 9.2g | Protein: 4.1g | Fat: 5.3g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 431mg | Fiber: 2.5g | Sugar: 5.6g

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

As food prices continue to climb, preserving your garden harvest and farmer’s market haul might be on your mind this season. But what’s the best way to save and store all those veggies? And how much time and equipment is it going to take??

Too much of a good thing is a great problem to have… as long as you’re ready with a plan.

You have to take action fast or that precious harvest goes to waste.It would be so much better as pasta sauce later in the year ;)

That’s why we are hosting a Masterclass with Stacey Murphy called 3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving and Storing the Harvest: Enjoy Fresh, Organic Vegetables & Herbs All Year Long.

>>> Access the Masterclass now

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

Oh no...while I was out watering late morning yesterday I could feel it - the sun was in a different place in the sky that creates that "it seems like fall" feeling.

Have you felt it?

Since our summer in the PNW was slow to arrive it's feeling like summer has passed even quicker than it normally does. Which is harder for this summer loving woman to take.

So I'll just bask in the late summer weather and activities as long as I can - thankfully the tomatoes have finally gotten with the program - and it's the end of August!! I had enough ripe ones to make a batch of one of my favorite tomato preserves yesterday:

Garden Harvest Roasted Tomato Sauce!

It's so easy and so good - I usually save aside a little cup to eat from a spoon before I freeze the rest (really!).

mail
Look how thick and yummy that looks. 😍

And it's a great way to use up all the different tomatoes that may be coming in - above you'll see heirlooms, early girl hybrids, lots of paste tomatoes, and even some Juliette grape tomatoes because they're about the only bush that's been producing like crazy.

If you look at the recipe you'll see that I often like to add whatever garden produce I have too much of - usually zucchini and peppers.

But right now I barely had enough tomatoes ripe at once (and I think I mentioned I'm not getting many zucchini...) so it's basic sauce with onions, garlic and spices.

Take it from me and my spoon, though - it's delicious any way!

Tomato Sauce Recipes

I have a few other tomato sauce recipes that I hope I will eventually get enough tomatoes to make including:

What type of tomato sauces do you use most?

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well... basically done for the season (unless I plant some fall vegis) Pulling up all the peppers and tomatoes. My basil is huge! I tried to keep the blooms pruned but has many now. Going to harvest the leaves and dry them (or make pesto?) Will also dry the sage leaves (but the poor thyme plant is weak and small)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

If you haven’t watched the 3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving & Storing the Harvest training yet, you still have time.

You can access this training for a few more hours.

mail

Watch the MASTERCLASS here.

Want to hear what students are saying about 3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving the Harvest training?

Take advantage of three secrets that will simplify healthy eating. The first one might even save you 40% on your grocery bill!

But you've got to act fast.

⌛️ Time is running out to watch this special masterclass.

>>> Check out the 3 Strategies to Simplify Preserving & Storing the Harvest: Enjoy Fresh, Organic Vegetables & Herbs All Year Long (no matter what's going on in the world) today.

Start increasing your food security today by implementing strategies shared in this masterclass.

To enjoying fresh food all year long,
🌱 The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not too long ago my deck was getting stained and I realized that I had made an all too common mistake.
I had sat my planter directly on the deck and now the board it sat on was starting to rot.
You always need to leave a little space between the planter and the board, if you do that then things tend not to rot.
Honestly, that is kind of good advice for life.
My wife, my business, my daughters...
If I don't give them space to breath they all start to "rot".
Just something I was thinking about. I guess consider this one of those motivational posts. Maybe I need a meme or something... ;-)
Keep grow'n,
Jason
PS - The 7 day sale on my Heirloom Vegetable seeds is still rolling. Check it out if you like cool looking veggies!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[Event] Preserving & Storing the Harvest
Growing your own vegetables means your food is fresh, nutritious, and less vulnerable to big business fluctuations. And it doesn’t have to end with the summer!

Preserving and storing your favorite vegetables and herbs is the best way to stock up on healthy meals without going to the grocery store as often.

You can have delicious, nutrient-dense foods right at your fingertips whenever you want them…

…And be less dependent on global food availability and prices.

Are you ready to start preserving fresh food for yourself?

Check out the Masterclass with our Master Garden Instructor, Stacey Murphy, where she shows you how to preserve your harvests so you can enjoy fresh flavors year round.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
3 Growing Seedling Mistakes to Avoid
You may have some of your plants starting to seed … have you considered saving seeds for next growing season but not sure where to start?

Growing seedlings unlocks the door to thousands of plant varieties, all with their own unique flavors that you can’t find at grocery stores or nurseries.

It can also save you money… if you grow the seedlings correctly. But when you’re first starting out, it’s easy to make mistakes. And those mistakes can end up costing you more money and time, leaving you frustrated and wishing you’d just purchased the same ol’ hum drum varieties.

To help you grow healthy, robust seedlings, here are the top three mistakes new growers make when growing transplants.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Got Zucchini or Summer Squash
A single zucchini plant can yield 10 pounds of food for your family in a single growing season. That’s a lot of squash! And if you have multiple plants, they can produce a LOT in any given week.

Thank goodness there are tons of delicious ways to cook, sauté, stir fry, roast, shred, blend, dehydrate, pickle, ferment, freeze and can zucchini or summer squash.

Grab the free zucchini recipes for new ideas on how to prepare your zucchini.​

VapeOn1960

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Even though our gardens are done, something happened today that made me very happy. I haven't seen any bees this year (besides some bumble bees earlier in the season) I actually love bees (but hate wasps!) I am aware that there have been issues with bees (and how important they are for pollination) I took a closer look at my huge basil plant (that has totally gone to bloom) and it was covered with bees :) I'm going to leave it be... for the bees. No matter what I grow in the future (even if I grow basil to harvest, cutting off the blooms) I will plant one cluster of basil and let it totally bloom just for the bees (in fact, going to look up other plants they like too)

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Even though our gardens are done, something happened today that made me very happy. I haven't seen any bees this year (besides some bumble bees earlier in the season) I actually love bees (but hate wasps!) I am aware that there have been issues with bees (and how important they are for pollination) I took a closer look at my huge basil plant (that has totally gone to bloom) and it was covered with bees :) I'm going to leave it be... for the bees. No matter what I grow in the future (even if I grow basil to harvest, cutting off the blooms) I will plant one cluster of basil and let it totally bloom just for the bees (in fact, going to look up other plants they like too)
I love how basil makes the bees come. It's such a happy feeling to see them working there, and bees are under duress from big ag practices.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I am glad you are leavin it up for the bees, Bliss is right they are takin a big hit from big AG.
Most years my wife plants flowers to attract the bees to our garden but this year she was too sore from the wreck she was in and it shows :(

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
They look great, I wish I woulda grown egg plant this year
I can't believe how good egg plants grow, I will have lots more. Looks like I may have watermelons before the frost hits too.
This was a test garden to see what things grow great and to make it a little bigger next year. I want to grow sunflowers,potatoes, zucchini and butternut winter squash along with the others I grew this year. Have to stake the tomatoes better next year, broke the cheap wire cages and mostly laying on the ground due to the softball sized tomatoes.Just starting to get ready to pick green peppers. I got a lot of jalapeno peppers, they are so hot, just need a little one, lol!

Last edited:

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's great that you are havin a good garden year, now you're hooked :giggle: .

Have you ever tried Delacata squash, aka sweet potato squash? I grew one this year and can't wait to have one.

Yes those tomato baskets they sell are about worthless. I use an old piece of fence to make my tomato baskets and stake the basket.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Have you ever tried Delacata squash, aka sweet potato squash
No I have never tried that squash- just yellow summer squash, butternut and acorn squash, I hope you love the Delacata squash. I have seen it in the store but never bought one.

1662076195307.png

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I had a lot of veggies last week(sorry no pictures) and gave a bunch to my son,my daughter and my dad- everyone in the family loves my garden- LOL- I sure can't eat everything I grow and not ready for freezing and canning now.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

When it comes to saving seed, you’re going to get much more success if you…

🌱 Plant enough plants
🐝 Follow proper pollination distances
👽 Above all, avoid mules and aliens

Yep, you heard us right… avoid mules and aliens. It might not make much sense at the moment. But it will when you read the full blog post.

Read More Here

VU Sponsors