Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
I redid my front yard garden- I had to relocate 2 lavender bushes that didn't do well there, they like full sun so in the back garden they go.
I bought 3 more hydrangeas yesterday and spent all that time digging out plants, relocating them in other parts of the garden and then got 2 of the hydrangeas planted yesterday. Today I planted the last hydrangea early this morning and then raked out all of that and watered all of it. I may try to get the lavender in the back tonight, they are sitting in water in the garage, just too hot and sunny there now. Again I am sore and tired, but everything looking good so far.
Jimi I am so jealous that you are getting veggies already, they look great! It will be a month before I see any veggies.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This was my onion patch and now growin green beans, did this last week
My Brussel sprouts are about half grown and full of sprouts already

P1470728.JPG

A closer shot at the green beans comin up

P1470724.JPG

My cukes still haven't grown up the fence but are puttin out several cukes
My squash, summer and winter are growin well they are at the right of the fence.
When I get the rest of my taders out I'll plant green beans in part of that area and more zucchini

P1470730.JPG

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Ditto. I didn't know you have such a large area to work with. I miss growing squash and melons but our garden is very small (that's OK... my son is getting plenty of squash, both yellow and zucchini and gave us some)
My garden is very small and I am growing squash- I grew watermelons last year, our season is way to short for watermelon, but I had 3 of them so not too bad.
My garden is narrow, and long, but got tired of hand digging so it is what it is, lol. Tomatoes,green peppers,jalapeno peppers, yellow squash and winter squash, zucchini,cucumbers, egg plants.
My other problem is deer and rabbits, so this space was perfect to keep them out of the garden.

20230720_155114.jpg

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi Jimi,

🎥 This Film Could Help Save Our World 🎥

A few years ago, my friend and fellow filmmaker Rob Herring called me with a fire in his heart. He had decided to make it his mission to educate people about sustainability and what we humans can do to create a lasting future for our children and grandchildren.

Rob was in the middle of filming a new documentary on the topic and was looking for guidance on how to turn it into something that could have a huge impact. I told him that he had me at "a lasting future for our children."

After a ton of hard work (and plenty of serendipity), this remarkable film called The Need To GROW is now airing online for FREE...and I have a feeling it might just change the world.

If you watch the trailer below, I think you'll agree :)

Watch the trailer here

The Need To GROW is a deeply moving, award-winning documentary that will open your eyes to huge issues in our food system that you may not know about. It will leave you feeling informed and inspired about what you can do to impact the health of your loved ones (and the health of our planet) for the better.

You'll recognize the narrator too! The environmentalist and actress Rosario Dawson gives voice to the film's important message: we must learn how to sustainably grow food for future generations.

I dare you not to get emotional while watching this film...

Click here to watch it for free

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Best Vegetables That Grow in Shade​

Choose the best vegetables that grow in shade, which include greens, root crops such as carrots and potatoes, and culinary herbs such as chives, cilantro, and oregano. We’ll show you how to bask in great garden harvests in less-than-prefect growing conditions.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Tips for Vegetable Plants That Grow in Shade​

In this video, you’ll learn a few tricks to maximize the light your garden does receive for fruit and vegetable plants that grow in shade.​

7 Herbs that Grow in Shade​

Finding herbs that grow in shade may seem like a difficult combination. Fear not. For beds and borders shaded by trees, fences or buildings, try one or more of these seven stars for shade.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How To Dry Fresh Herbs For Storage (4 Ways To Save Your Summer Harvest)​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
A lot of people look back at the ‘60s with nostalgia. The music, the simplicity of life.

🥕 But here’s a real thing to miss: did you know our veggies were substantially more nutritious?

The culprit behind this nutritional decline?

Relentless soil depletion.

⚠️ Our relentless pursuit for harvests has left no breathing space for the world's farmlands. Consequently, the very food that fuels us is losing its nutrient punch.

And that has a direct impact on our health.

🎥 That's what has spurred actress Rosario Dawson and Rob Herring to unveil an eye-opening film - The Need To Grow. And they're making it accessible for free, but only for a limited time!

This isn't just a movie. It's a wake-up call, a deep dive into the realities of contemporary agriculture, the future of our sustenance, and a roadmap to revamp our food systems.

Change is still within our grasp, but knowledge and widespread awareness are key.

The first step?

👉 Secure your free movie pass here.

Share this potent film with your circle. Ignite conversations, and secure a future where nutritious food is not subject to nostalgia.

To a healthier future,

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Pickling Food Preservation Techniques​

Explore pickling food preservation techniques to capture the riches of seasonal foods to last throughout the year.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Get Ready to Pickle: The Best Vinegar for Pickling​

Trying to decide on the best vinegar for pickling? Need help choosing pickling supplies? Get all the answers to your pickling questions here.​

Easy Pickling Recipe For Any Occasion​

Wondering how to make pickles at home? Follow an easy pickling recipe in this article to learn the process of making fermented, vinegar and refrigerator pickles.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

How to Pickle Okra​

Ready to learn how to pickle okra? This delicious summer staple is easy to pickle if you know how! You'll be glad you learned how to can okra pickles.​

Pickled Green Bean Recipe Quick​

Looking for a pickled green bean recipe quick? This herby pickled beans recipe swaps traditional dill for other fresh herbs, such as tarragon or fennel.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you know? ... We’re losing quality soil!

Here’s what that means…

• Skyrocketing food prices
  • Food that doesn’t taste as good
  • An increase in diseases as our soil is stripped of vital nutrients
  • And eventually, if we continue on this path, NO FOOD
But there is hope, and that’s exactly what the inspiring film The Need to GROW is about!

Learn how you can make a REAL impact.

--->>This week, for a limited time, you can watch The Need to GROW for FREE!
This moving documentary has won over a dozen awards at film festivals, including “Best Documentary,” “Audience Favorite” and “Best Environmental Film.”

It will touch your heart, give you hope and inspire you to be part of the solution on planet earth.

--->>Click here to watch The Need to GROW today!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Dug the rest of my taders yesterday

Load 3
P1470734.JPG

Load 4
P1470757.JPG

Load 5P1470755.JPG

Load 6P1470758.JPG

It's been hot here but had to get these out so I can start green beans, I dug all of these yesterday and today dug, planted and fenced in the tader area and put in a half pound of green bean seed, gonna be cuttin it close but I do this every year and have a good crop.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Regenerate America - Sign the Petition​

Regenerate America is an unprecedented coalition of farmers, businesses, nonprofits, and individuals from every corner of our country and all political stripes.
This well-organized movement is elevating the voices of farmers and ranchers demanding that the 2023 US Farm Bill shift resources & support towards regenerative agriculture.
The video on the website demonstrates how much real traction this movement has been getting.
Sign the petition to help this movement gain even more momentum.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Do you have dreams of going from city life to farm life?

On this episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, we’re joined by Jason Contreras of Sow the Land homestead and Youtube channel. In 2016, Jason and his family left their 9-5 work life in LA to start a small homestead in the mountains of North Carolina. Now in remission from cancer, Jason is on a journey to grow his family’s food, create an efficient homestead and share the whole process in the hopes of inspiring others.

Tune in today to hear about Jason and his journey in sowing the land!

In this episode, you’ll hear:

• What life was like for Jason back in LA​
  • About their first crops in their California garden​
  • What their farm looks like today​
  • How Jason handles butchering their animals​
  • What farmers should consider before offering educational workshops​
  • About the expectations Jason sets for people attending their workshops​
  • The biggest thing Jason has learned in his homesteading journey​
  • What he would change given the chance to start over​
  • About what a typical day looks like for Jason​
  • The drive behind his Youtube channel​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Jimi, “This fertilizer is from my favorite worm ranch!” Says Daniel Sweeney from Seven Springs Farm Supply. I can’t say enough good things about worm castings (AKA worm poop) for improving soil.

It’s so rich in micro-organisms and nutrients that it is considered a ‘plant superfood’.

Daniel’s favorite worm castings are from Mountain Gate Organics. (Urban Farm subscribers save 7% on everything in their shop with coupon code URBAN7)

This top-quality worm casting fertilizer creates:

• ➜ Increased crop yield
  • ➜ Vigorous growth
  • ➜ Vibrant color
  • ➜ Improved drainage
  • ➜ Increased water retention (up to 50% more!)
He had me at ‘increased crop yield’. More food? Yes please!

Earthworm castings work better than conventional fertilizers - while being safe for all plants, pets and people in any concentration.

Plus, it’s from a family-owned business with their heart in the right place.

Mountain Gate Organics is a worm’s idea of heaven.

It’s local to Seven Springs Farm, so Daniel has seen the whole process from start to finish.

The worms are treated wonderfully, enjoy organic food and are handled gently with care.

Click here to check out the worm castings, and browse the entire online store HERE!

Plus as an Urban Farm subscriber get 7% off everything at the Seven Springs Farm Supply when you shop with our code URBAN7

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Dr. Jan Pol: Discussing Animal Health Care​

Who is Dr. Jan Pol? Get to know the expert vet behind "The Incredible Dr. Pol" as he talks about his veterinary practice and answers questions on animal health.​

When To Harvest Sweet Potatoes​

Learn when to harvest sweet potatoes and how to start curing sweet potatoes after harvest to enjoy the long-awaited fruits of your labors.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

Top Storage Crops: How to Store Fruits and Vegetables​

Learn how to store fruits and vegetables in ways that best extend your harvest, and which crops to grow to keep you and your family fed through the winter.​

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

When To Harvest Vegetables Chart​

Utilize this handy 'when to harvest vegetables chart' to know when your harvest is ready. This harvest vegetables list covers everything from peas to blueberries.​

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
You may not be aware, but industrial agriculture has become one of the most destructive forces on the planet and is destroying our soil.

As a result…

❎
Our soil has been eroded of vital nutrients
❎
Our soil has been contaminated with pesticides
❎
Our food AND our bodies have also been contaminated
❎
Our water supply has been reduced

Luckily, a few brave innovators are fighting for change!

This week, you can watch their story—and be part of the solution—with the award-winning film The Need To GROW.

Our friends at Food Revolution Network are hosting a limited-time global screening event for FREE for the Grow Your Own Vegetables’ gardeners and others to learn about the damage that has resulted from decades of irresponsible practices of industrial agriculture as well as the steps that can be taken in the right direction towards repairing the damage.

>>> WATCH NOW: The Need To GROW <<<

Narrated and produced by activist and actress Rosario Dawson (as seen in Men in Black II, Rent, and in Disney’s upcoming Haunted Mansion), this film will warm your heart and inspire you with possibilities.

This film provides information that not only helps and benefits commercial farmers but all our wonderful Grow Your Own Vegetables home gardeners as well!

You will learn about…

✅
break-through technology to regenerate soil
✅
how it regenerates soil in days instead of the 400 years it would take nature by itself
✅
a new growing method that supercharges vegetables in nutrients
✅
how this method can work just about anywhere—even in a parking lot

You will also hear the truly inspiring story of a child activist who refused to take “no” for an answer.

The importance of soil quality in food production often goes overlooked. However, without healthy soil, there is no food.

The Need To GROW film sheds new light on this critical subject that we cannot afford to ignore. It is important that as many people as possible see it.
👀
Watch the trailer and get free access to stream The Need To GROW
👀

If you haven’t seen this amazing film, you are in for a very healthy treat.

If you have seen it before, then you know how special it is! This is your chance to watch it again and join in spreading the word.

The Need To GROW is a family-friendly film. It’s a great opportunity to plan a viewing gathering with your family, your friends, your community, or all of the above to learn together and be motivated to take steps in the right direction towards a solution!

There’s no thyme like the present to get involved!

🌱
The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team
🌱

P.S. This critically acclaimed film rocked the independent film circuits when it came out, winning over a dozen awards. It’s only available to watch for a limited time. For the next few days, you can stream it for FREE.
Watch The Need To GROW now!

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hi, Fellow Berry Lover!

This week brings the introduction of The Mighty Elderberry.

It’s a great berry to add to your home garden as well as an essential member of the Superfood Team!

So, we wanted to share some information to get your started as well as share a fabulous resource where you can learn everything you need to know about growing, harvesting, and preserving elderberries—including safety precautions you’ll want to take.

In recent years, elderberries have become a staple in many homes because of their cold and flu fighting properties and the many other benefits that these small but powerful berries offer.

Elderberry shrubs and trees are considered to be an easy plant to grow, tolerate to many environments, and produce a high fruit yield.

Growing just one elderberry tree means having enough elderberries for the entire cold and flu season—for your whole neighborhood! 🏘️

Elderberries can be used in several forms such as a syrup, dried (for teas), jams or jellies, or as gummies. Check out our blog to learn more on the many ways you can preserve elderberries.

Remember to NEVER eat ANY unripe berries!

Underripe berries—including their leaves, branches, and roots—all contain cyanide-forming compounds. Please be sure that you consult good and accurate references when working with this plant. It contains tremendous medicinal value, but it does command your respect and understanding.

>>> Discover the The Complete Guide to Growing, Harvesting, & Preserving Elderberries

This book is our go-to guide for all things elderberry.

To Your Elderberry Success!

🌱 The Mighty Elderberry and The Grow Your Own Vegetables Team 🌱

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I meant to reply on this, that the old folk cures of southern Hoodoo, Afro-Caribbean Lucumi, Vodun and Obeah, Brazilian Camdomble, and other traditions, sometimes included "graveyard dirt" in the formula or the spell. In more recent times it has been discovered there is a specific antibiotic found in the soil of graveyards from the era before bodies were embalmed with formaldehyde before burial.

Otherwise, agreed, good garden soil is filled with things that make you healthy and happy. It's why you feel so good after working in the garden.

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

_Jessica Hall

What does it take to run a successful flower farm?

On this episode of the Thriving Farmer Podcast, we’re joined by Jessica Hall who is the Owner, Visionary, and Weeder-in-Chief at Harmony Harvest Farm. Located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, her farm is known for pioneering nationwide direct-to-consumer bouquet shipping. With over 15 years in the industry, Jessica is driven by the belief that #FreshFlowersRule and everyone can live a better life through flowers.
Tune in today to hear all about the evolution of Harmony Harvest Farm and how they enhance their community and thrive as a result!​

In this episode, you’ll hear:

• How Jessica discovered her calling to be a flower farmer​
  • When Jessica knew she wanted to switch gears from weddings​
  • About the Harmony Harvest Victory Garden and how it’s doing today​
  • More about The Mum Project​
  • How Jessica keeps track of all their inventory and production​
  • How Harmony Harvest keeps their mother plants in their greenhouse​
  • What gives their farm true business freedom​

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have never had tomatillos before, what are they like
Kinda like tomatoes, but not in the same family. Almost always green in color. Their biggest use is in green salsas, but can be used in other ways.

VU Sponsors