Become a Patron!

[Guide] Leak-proof and NLU (Never Leak Upright) tanks **Updated 19/12/2016

How important is it to find a tank that does not leak

• Total voters

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Started: 26/11/2016
Last updated: 19/12/2016

*** This topic is about leak-proof tanks and tanks that don't leak upright.
This topic is not about tanks which will not leak if you wick it right or if you do this or that. ***

Note: The following tanks are not in any particular order.

I have been vaping for a while now, and I have part of the community and I think it is time for me to give back a little so I've decided to start this topic.

Here we go

R RDTA
M MTL (Mouth To Lung)
C Ready-made coils
S Sub-Ohm tank​

IJOY Limitless RDTA R S

201605030929357377.jpg

The limitless is a genesis style tank has no holes at the bottom, making it almost impossible to leak.

GeekVape Avocado RTA and Avocado 24 R S

geekvape-avocado-24-rdta-colors-exploded-view.jpg

Very much the same reason why the limitless is considered leak-proof. The Avocado is a genesis style tank that you will have to try extremely hard to make it leak.

Aspire Nautilus X M C

One of my favorite tanks that I always recommend for beginners, this tank only cons in my opinion is the price and availability of its coils.

This tank is not only NLU but also (according to my experience) truly leak-proof. I have used it in every orientation and never ever seen a leak anywhere. The only tank I trust to use when resting on sofa or bed.

It's recommended to buy it with the 4ml conversion kit. I also love the frosted glass, but it's up to you :)
5.png

Joyetech Cubis M C S

With no moving parts nor air-holes at the bottom, the Cubis is a good way to ensure you have a leak proof upright. It also has MTL coils.

I have not tried it myself, but I am planning to. I have contacted Joyetech but they haven't responded.

joyetech_cubis_assorted_01.jpg

joyetech_cubis_black_03.jpg

Innokin iSub Apex
C S

A lot of people reported no leakage using this tank. I am still waiting to get my hands on one to add more details here, but Innokin has not replied to my email.

isub-a-2.jpg

OBS Engine
R S

Another good looking RDTA with top airflow.

20160728091838171.jpg

SMOK Helmet Tank
C S

I keep hearing good stories about this tank, but really want to try it. The fact that it has a one piece base, makes it a good leak-proof candidate. but most certainly NLU.

Definitely on my list of devices to try, and I have contacted SMOK.

2016-06-16-09_21_295534.jpg

2016-06-12-14_52_379585.jpg

R RDTA
M MTL (Mouth To Lung)
C Ready-made coils
S Sub-Ohm tank​

*Admin, please move this if you think it fits better somewhere else in the forums.

Feel free to post your feedback and opinions. We are trying to help newbies and others who want to enjoy vaping by providing them with as much information as possible.

Last edited:

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Here is an example of a leak nightmare:

Wismec Cylin RTA R S

I love this tank, it tastes great, but the fact that the bottom has so many moving parts that screws over an O ring. This is one hell of a leakage nightmare, it will leak to your airflow control and will also leak into your 510 connection to your battery and inside the MOD. Not sure what JayBo was thinking.

Trying a bigger O ring results in the tank not allowing the bottom to be screwed on, it has to be the right size.

Some of the e juice I have taste great on this tank. Too bad I had to put to the shelf of shame.
Cylin_RTA_08.jpg

I will probably make a new topic for Leak nightmares :) pretty sure everybody got a story to tell there :D

Last edited:

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Since it wasn't a "how-to" I put it in the subtanks section, even though some that will get mentioned might be rebuildables. It kinda fits a few sections, LOL.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Since it wasn't a "how-to" I put it in the subtanks section, even though some that will get mentioned might be rebuildables. It kinda fits a few sections, LOL.
Thanks for that. Yeah I found it hard to categorise this one too. I am planning a few guides like that, but still not sure where to put them.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Started: 26/11/2016
Last updated: 27/11/2016

*** This topic is about leak proof tanks, tanks that CANNOT leak upright, not tanks which will not leak if you wick it right or if you do this or that. ***

I can pop off an o-ring on my Atlantis coil and it will leak...or I can make sure it is correctly installed and have no problems.
Knowing what you are doing fixes a lot of issues before they happen

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, I don't think there is such thing as a leak-proof tank

Someone, somewhere (me for instance) can and will find a way to make it piss juice, no matter how idiot proof they supposedly are

Conversely, some are more finicky than others, whether they are a regular tank or RTA

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Well, of course there is a way to make any tank leak :) but when the airflow is not at the bottom and there are no moving parts down at the bottom, it's very unlikely this tank will leak.

I have tested the tanks that I have added to the list and can tell you with confidence, that it takes a huge amount of effort to make them leak.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
If you can get juice into the tank you can get juice out but if the bottom of the tank is sealed there's no way that the tank should leak in the upright position. If there's a window into the tank, well that's an issue. If there's a seal between two parts that you are hoping will not leak it may not but could possibly leak.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
If you can get juice into the tank you can get juice out but if the bottom of the tank is sealed there's no way that the tank should leak in the upright position. If there's a window into the tank, well that's an issue. If there's a seal between two parts that you are hoping will not leak it may not but could possibly leak.

I totally agree, but I want to adjust the last rule, as seals with glass usually don't leak, but a seal with a moving part, that's when most problems happen and it would leak sooner or later.

I am hoping you guys have tried some of those devices, also, please do suggest more to add to the list.

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
Innokin iSub APEX 5ml Tank doesn't leak. This is the only tank I use now. It's not the best looking tank and the glass fogs up, but I don't care. It's top filling, holds 5 ML of fluid and doesn't leak. What else can you ask for? Great flavor too. I vape Halo Tribeca. Awesome.

I gave up on Apex Cleito, Kanger Sub Tank Plus, and Uwell Crown.

Last edited:

Eskie

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Any top airflow tank will make you work at getting it to leak. You can add the OBS Engine to the leak resistant group. And I do believe leak resistant, not leak proof should be the standard. Any container for a liquid that has a mechanism to open and close can potentially leak.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
I am going to add the OBS Engine and Innokin iSub APEX 5ml Tank to my shopping list, will test each for a week and will add them to the list once they pass. I am happy to adjust the terminology "leak proof" but "leak resistant" doesn't sound right. Let's brainstorm a little and maybe we can find a term that closely matches the situation.

How about NLU (Never Leaks Upright) ??

I have a feeling that this term will be a market term soon.

Last edited:
Been through a ton of RDTAs. Most of them have some sort of "spotting' My sheets have little dime sized spots all over them from where I set my setup down. The best one I have owned (leak wise) was the Lemo 2. No leaking. Some tanks leak pretty heavy when filled to the top. You gotta have some level of acceptance that tanks are going to spot or leak.

Another thing I have found is that you may need to change out 1 or 2 O rings when it is brand new. Not sure why but sometimes the O rings that are already on it are busted

celticluvr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am going to add the OBS Engine and Innokin iSub APEX 5ml Tank to my shopping list, will test each for a week and will add them to the list once they pass. I am happy to adjust the terminology "leak proof" but "leak resistant" doesn't sound right. Let's brainstorm a little and maybe we can find a term that closely matches the situation.

How about NLU (Never Leaks Upright) ??

I have a feeling that this term will be a market term soon.
iSub Apex 3ml doesn't leak either! :)
Vaped on it for 7 months and it never leaked, unless I forgot to close the juice fill after refilling... :facepalm::slowclap::crazy::teehee:

pizzadave80

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Joy tech cubis doesn't leak for me at all. Smok helmet tank didn't leak for me either....couldn't get these leak even with 50/50 juice in them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
I have added all of them to my shopping list, contacted manufacturers and waiting to test them and add them to the list.

Waffle Baron

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Innokin iSub V, Kangertech Toptank Mini and the Serpent Mini have yet to leak in the year I have used them for my at work tanks. Just got a Aromamizer Supreme RDTA and it hasn't leaked once and i have had it upside down in my pocket.

Kiwironic

Member For 4 Years
Been through a ton of RDTAs. Most of them have some sort of "spotting' My sheets have little dime sized spots all over them from where I set my setup down. The best one I have owned (leak wise) was the Lemo 2. No leaking. Some tanks leak pretty heavy when filled to the top. You gotta have some level of acceptance that tanks are going to spot or leak.

Another thing I have found is that you may need to change out 1 or 2 O rings when it is brand new. Not sure why but sometimes the O rings that are already on it are busted

Try the Nautilus x for a super clean sheets :) if you are into the MTL thing

XEVU

Equal Opportunity Offender
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mtl vape so I don't know the answer to this. My wife does mtl and I'm trying to find something that doesn't leak. She's currently using the aspire plato with 1.8 coils. It leaks like a son of a bitch. She actually has 2 pink and blue. They both leak.
I saw the iSub apex on this list. Can you mtl on a subohm coil?

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't mtl vape so I don't know the answer to this. My wife does mtl and I'm trying to find something that doesn't leak. She's currently using the aspire plato with 1.8 coils. It leaks like a son of a bitch. She actually has 2 pink and blue. They both leak.
I saw the iSub apex on this list. Can you mtl on a subohm coil?

I'm not a feather plucker or a feather plucker's son but I'll pluck a feathered pheasant until the feather plucker comes.
@forza uses those a lot, if memory serves. Hopefully she can answer that one. They do sell coils up to 2 ohms for that tank. Only guessing, if the airflow could close down enough?

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm looking for something that is easy topfill like a serpent or tfv8/v12 that won't leak and holds enough juice for her during the day so I can fill it when I get home from work. 5ml or larger.
I'm gonna get her an entire new setup. Mod/tank.
I want her to actually enjoy it and not have to just endure it.

XEVU

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Been looking all day. I finally went with this. Hope it works.
13794d7884c72ba267b70117c1c2a0fd.jpg

forza

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You can't really MTL on the subohm coils on the Isubs but they have high ohm coils. I fell asleep with mine next to me. Slept all night with it laying flat and nary a drop leaked out. That's the S with top fill holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors