Become a Patron!

Ish's Honey Maple Glazed Donut - VT Honeycomb!

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
17 versions later, it is FINALLY done! A rich, dense, and fried donut with a maple and honey glaze. This has become my ADV as of late. Special thanks to @wildgypsy70 for the tip on VT Honeycomb - this stuff is delicious!!

Honeycomb(VT) 2%
Cheesecake Graham Crust(TFA) 1.5%
Zeppola(FA) 1.5%
Shisha Vanilla(INW) 1%
Deep Fried Pastry Dough(WF) 1%
Vienna Cream(FA) 1%
Meringue(FA) 1%
Maple Syrup(FA) 0.75%
Joy(FA) 0.5%
Honey(FA) 0.5% *** 10% dilution ***
Caramel(FA) 0.5%

Flavor Total - 11.25%
Steep Time - 7-10 days

Donut Profile

Cheesecake Graham Crust, Zeppola, and Deep Fried Pastry Dough give the donut its core foundation. FA Joy adds just a touch of fried yeasty goodness. Shisha Vanilla is rich and really lifts the creamy notes of the donut and boosts the subtle moisture that Vienna Cream adds. Honeycomb actually contributes a lot here and serves a dual role in this recipe - it adds richness and density. Meringue adds sweetness and balances out the AP in the Cheesecake Graham Crust.

Honey Profile

Honeycomb is the body of the honey and is boosted by the FA Honey. Together they are rich enough to nicely cut through everything else that is going on without the offensive "feline lemonade" smell. I originally tried this recipe without the FA Honey but the Honeycomb just got lost and needed a boost. FA Honey is STUPID STRONG so 10% dilution is crucial here. The FA Honey will calm down after a few days.

Maple Profile

Maple Syrup provides a warm maple flavor. I find though that it is sort of one dimensional, so Caramel supports it just enough to give it some depth. The longer the mix ages, the more the caramel will come out, which is why I have it in here. I found Maple looses a little bite as it sits.

upload_2018-6-2_10-46-0.png

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
17 versions later, it is FINALLY done! A rich, dense, and fried donut with a maple and honey glaze. This has become my ADV as of late. Special thanks to @wildgypsy70 for the tip on VT Honeycomb - this stuff is delicious!!

Honeycomb(VT) 2%
Zeppola(FA) 1.5%
Shisha Vanilla(INW) 1%
Vienna Cream(FA) 1%
Meringue(FA) 1%
Maple Syrup(FA) 0.75%
Joy(FA) 0.5%
Caramel(FA) 0.5%

Flavor Total - 11.25%
Steep Time - 7-10 days

Donut Profile

Cheesecake Graham Crust, Zeppola, and Deep Fried Pastry Dough give the donut its core foundation. FA Joy adds just a touch of fried yeasty goodness. Shisha Vanilla is rich and really lifts the creamy notes of the donut and boosts the subtle wetness that Vienna Cream adds. Honeycomb actually contributes a lot here and serves a dual role in this recipe - it adds richness and density. Meringue adds sweetness and balances out the AP in the Cheesecake Graham Crust.

Honey Profile

Honeycomb is the body of the honey and is boosted by the FA Honey. Together they are rich enough to nicely cut through everything else that is going on without the offensive "feline lemonade" smell. I originally tried this recipe without the FA Honey but the Honeycomb just got lost and needed a boost. FA Honey is STUPID STRONG so 10% dilution is crucial here. The FA Honey will calm down after a few days.

Maple Profile

Maple Syrup provides a warm maple flavor. I find though that it is sort of one dimensional, so Caramel supports it just enough to give it some depth. The longer the mix ages, the more the caramel will come out, which is why I have it in here. I found Maple looses a little bite as it sits.

View attachment 112757
Oh my damn, this looks tasty! On the list for TODAY! I love me some donut. Happy you’re back! It’s been a while since you’ve been here. :hug:

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Oh my damn, this looks tasty! On the list for TODAY! I love me some donut. Happy you’re back! It’s been a while since you’ve been here. :hug:
Thanks buddy! Sadly I've been traveling a lot for work so haven't had time to really post much. I've got a few more things in the works. Hope you like it!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks buddy! Sadly I've been traveling a lot for work so haven't had time to really post much. I've got a few more things in the works. Hope you like it!
Just by the look of it, I’m in love already. I’ll let you know in a week or so! I just posted Honeycomb Custard and Cookies. Hopefully, someone else besides us will like it!

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Just by the look of it, I’m in love already. I’ll let you know in a week or so! I just posted Honeycomb Custard and Cookies. Hopefully, someone else besides us will like it!
It's one of the few recipes I've done where upon first shake the smell gets me excited. It's totally vapable in 3 days, but the density of the donut takes about a week or so to come out. However a very frustrating journey to get this one right.

And I LOVE your Honeycomb Custard and Cookies!! GOOD STUFF!

Elites

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Honeycomb(VT) 2%
Zeppola(FA) 1.5%
Shisha Vanilla(INW) 1%
Vienna Cream(FA) 1%
Meringue(FA) 1%
Maple Syrup(FA) 0.75%
Joy(FA) 0.5%
Caramel(FA) 0.5%

Flavor Total - 11.25%
Steep Time - 7-10 days

Donut Profile

Cheesecake Graham Crust, Zeppola, and Deep Fried Pastry Dough give the donut its core foundation. FA Joy adds just a touch of fried yeasty goodness. Shisha Vanilla is rich and really lifts the creamy notes of the donut and boosts the subtle wetness that Vienna Cream adds. Honeycomb actually contributes a lot here and serves a dual role in this recipe - it adds richness and density. Meringue adds sweetness and balances out the AP in the Cheesecake Graham Crust.

Honey Profile

Maple Profile

View attachment 112757
Thanks for sharing.looks yummy. I have more than 370 flavors but damn missing again 1 flavor but will for next order.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Everytime I stop in this thread I end up with something in a shopping cart. Its so delicious in these parts.
It's funny, I find a bulk of flavors that get re-used a ton but then I am missing a flavor and it turns out that flavor ends up in my most used list. For example INW Shisha Vanilla - that stuff has ended up in countless things I've been testing as of late.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
It's funny, I find a bulk of flavors that get re-used a ton but then I am missing a flavor and it turns out that flavor ends up in my most used list. For example INW Shisha Vanilla - that stuff has ended up in countless things I've been testing as of late.
Ahhhh, shisha vanilla. That stuff is like a secret weapon. When I’m doing vanilla recipes(like the ongoing Nilla Cake clone for @CrazyChef v2.0, I always forget about it. Then the light bulb goes off! THATS what I need. I love the stuff.

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
So with all of the AWESOME responses - which version of the Nilla Cake recipe should I try first? From what I can tell, you guys have actually super-ceded the original, and have recipes that are even BETTER than the original.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
So with all of the AWESOME responses - which version of the Nilla Cake recipe should I try first? From what I can tell, you guys have actually super-ceded the original, and have recipes that are even BETTER than the original.
For me, v5 is probably the closest....needs at least a week steep to get the sharp Cake Batter note outta there. V8 would be the next on the list. Still steeping that one, but I get the sugar lips that the OG has. Good luck and let us know what ya think!

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Might have to check out this Nilla Cake experiment going on here!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Might have to check out this Nilla Cake experiment going on here!
It’s in the Daily Mixing thread a few pages back. @CrazyChef v2.0 wanted a Nilla Cake clone and a few of us took it on. Tons of fun! I guess I should post the winner, when he tries it in a week.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
It’s in the Daily Mixing thread a few pages back. @CrazyChef v2.0 wanted a Nilla Cake clone and a few of us took it on. Tons of fun! I guess I should post the winner, when he tries it in a week.
I will be checking that out! We need more collaborative stuff like this, could you imagine a group of dedicated mixologists working out a recipe and voting and narrowing it down to perfection? That would be fun as HELL!

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I will be checking that out! We need more collaborative stuff like this, could you imagine a group of dedicated mixologists working out a recipe and voting and narrowing it down to perfection? That would be fun as HELL!
I would love that!!!! Keep the creative juices flowing!

I think @CrazyChef v2.0 is gonna compile all the recipes into one place. Not sure when. But it was so much fun!!!

CrazyChef v2.0

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I would love that!!!! Keep the creative juices flowing!

I think @CrazyChef v2.0 is gonna compile all the recipes into one place. Not sure when. But it was so much fun!!!
Okay, so I started the thread HERE, and will update it shortly with all the recipes. If I miss any of the variations, please let me know and I'll add it.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I have exactly 1 of those flavors :oops: may be a while before I try any donut recipes, eh? :facepalm:
Come on Peg! time for some flavor mail! I guess mastering coils 24/8 doesn't leave much room for anything else :D

I pretty much use the following for all my donuts:

WF Deep Fried Pastry Dough 1%
FA Zeppola 1 - 1.5%
TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust 1.5%

That takes care of about 70% of it. If I'm using FA Joy, no AP needed, if not I add a little.

Then moisture and body vary. If I'm doing cream filled then CAP Vanilla Custard V1 is almost always in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I know someone in here knows, I mentioned it in another thread or two :D

VT Honeycomb? I win! Bam, I'm the winningest winner
You have the one most don't and that still makes me chuckle. Not even FA Zeppola? Or TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust? :(

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Come on Peg! time for some flavor mail! I guess mastering coils 24/8 doesn't leave much room for anything else :D

I pretty much use the following for all my donuts:

WF Deep Fried Pastry Dough 1%
FA Zeppola 1 - 1.5%
TFA Cheesecake Graham Crust 1.5%

That takes care of about 70% of it. If I'm using FA Joy, no AP needed, if not I add a little.

Then moisture and body vary. If I'm doing cream filled then CAP Vanilla Custard V1 is almost always in.

Thanks man, next time I can place an order, I'll get those three. Yep, spending all my money on more wire, and all my free time in the garage next to a drill :oops:

Nope, none of those - always revolve around a custard, never tried anything more bready than Angel Cake, not yet anyway

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thanks man, next time I can place an order, I'll get those three. Yep, spending all my money on more wire, and all my free time in the garage next to a drill :oops:

Nope, none of those - always revolve around a custard, never tried anything more bready than Angel Cake, not yet anyway
There’s plenty of time....and enabling.....:D

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Y'all need some 6 by 9 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows...

Of course I'm missing one flavor, the WF deep fried pastry dough. I may try this with FLV Fried Dough and see how it goes... I'm thinking about 0.4%

And remember, You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant (excepting Alice)...:giggle:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Alrighty.....this is soooooooo good! The maple honey thing is just gloriously sugary and perfect. The donut really comes through at the end. I am in heaven....this is just lush. Excellent job, dude.

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Y'all need some 6 by 9 color glossy photographs with circles and arrows...

Of course I'm missing one flavor, the WF deep fried pastry dough. I may try this with FLV Fried Dough and see how it goes... I'm thinking about 0.4%

And remember, You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant (excepting Alice)...:giggle:
Never had the FLV version, I highly recommend at least picking up the WF version at some point. I'd say give it a go, who knows?

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thanks for this!! But what do you mean by *** 10% dilution *** for the Honey(FA)?
thank you!
Take 1 part FA Honey and dilute with 9 parts PG. Example, 1ml FA Honey, 9ml PG or you can do it by weight, then use that. Because FA Honey is so strong, and we only need a kiss of it, it makes it easier to measure. Otherwise you would be trying to do 0.05% of something :)

Or do 2 parts FA Honey, 18 parts PG, or whatever you want, as long ratios are the same.

Matt-Ss

Member For 4 Years
Take 1 part FA Honey and dilute with 9 parts PG. Example, 1ml FA Honey, 9ml PG or you can do it by weight, then use that. Because FA Honey is so strong, and we only need a kiss of it, it makes it easier to measure. Otherwise you would be trying to do 0.05% of something :)

Or do 2 parts FA Honey, 18 parts PG, or whatever you want, as long ratios are the same.

Thank You!! so basically i'm doing a lighter concentrate of the Honey in 10ml at 1% and i will use 0.5% Thank You Very much Ishkabibble !

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Thank You!! so basically i'm doing a lighter concentrate of the Honey in 10ml at 1% and i will use 0.5% Thank You Very much Ishkabibble !
Yeah even 1% of the diluted Honey can overwhelm things real quick and since we have enough sweetness from the maple and others, we only need a smidge so the Honey is noticeable but not smothering and sickly sweet.

You are most welcome, hope you enjoy, and you can always adapt things to your taste.

EDIT: forgot to add that I wasn't just guessing on these small amounts, I tried it with no FA Honey, .25 .5 .75 .1 to dial in. The VT Honeycomb gives good Honey body but needs some help.

Last edited:

jcash74

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I know, I know dumb question....

Are you saying 1 drop per 10ml's? I am new to diy. 100mls would get 10 drops?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Ishkabibble

Gotta eat the lettuce
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I know, I know dumb question....

Are you saying 1 drop per 10ml's? I am new to diy. 100mls would get 10 drops?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I'm saying 1ml of FA Honey and 9ml of PG if that makes sense. If you wanted to double and make more, it would be 2ml to 18ml. As long as the total ends up in multiples of 10s.

So to make 100ml you would do 10ml of FA Honey and 90ml of PG.

HTH

VU Sponsors