Become a Patron!

Joyetech Cuboid Problems & Quality Control Issues

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And youre telling me it doesnt look like someone dragged it behind their truck and then took a shit on it!? You must have gotten a good one! :D

I honestly dont think the 25amp limit is that big of a deal if your using tanks with pre built coils, I think its more of a turn-off for those that are use to oHming out at .15 in an RDA/RTA.

I think they feel great in the hand, fondled one in a shop the other day.
Hey, I'm not getting dragged through the crap! ;)
ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BPROSEK

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got the new grey version yesterday from vapenw, it does seem to have a bit better finish quality than my original stainless model. no play in the fire button at all, and the +- buttons are completely flush. Not one scratch at all. Works perfectly. Imagine that...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Your doing yourself a injustice if your letting that 25A supposed limit get in your way, the Cuboid is just plain good. I got a Rafale in my hands today, using a .2SS at 120W it bumps 19A, no burps, I ain't going to 200W, yet!
BTW, using 2 fresh VTC4's.
I only use RTAs/RDA's and once in a while Ill use the TFV4 with RBA's...the 25A limit makes it so I get 80w with my favorite Griffin build and lower wattage when I get lower...even my TFV4 gets restricted to 90w with quad coils...

Its a great device but its not one for me..I wish it wasnt limited or I would buy many more.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I only use RTAs/RDA's and once in a while Ill use the TFV4 with RBA's...the 25A limit makes it so I get 80w with my favorite Griffin build and lower wattage when I get lower...even my TFV4 gets restricted to 90w with quad coils...

Its a great device but its not one for me..I wish it wasnt limited or I would buy many more.
Hey, have you tried the Cuboid with high amp batteries, like VTC4, wondering if the chip senses battery amps and has protection built in and adjusts accordingly.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Hey, have you tried the Cuboid with high amp batteries, like VTC4, wondering if the chip senses battery amps and has protection built in and adjusts accordingly.
I have HB6's and HB2's, if there was such a detection protection I wouldnt have an issue. Its a Hard Output Limit, the input is also locked in at 25A, theres just no step up or down for output.
Theres no detection like that made yet, it would be pretty difficult to pull off such protection...

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have HB6's and HB2's, if there was such a detection protection I wouldnt have an issue. Its a Hard Output Limit, the input is also locked in at 25A, theres just no step up or down for output.
Theres no detection like that made yet, it would be pretty difficult to pull off such protection...
I was wondering, because at Joyetech's site they recommend using a 25A batteries with the Cuboid, and even mention using VTC4 Sony's.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was wondering, because at Joyetech's site they recommend using a 25A batteries with the Cuboid, and even mention using VTC4 Sony's.
Yea they show that so people use higher amp batteries to make sure they are safe, but the Input is regulated to 25A so even with HB2/HB6's (30A+) its regulated to only using 25A Max from the Input.

CBR240

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
My Cubiod came today. In short, I Like it.

Disclaimer: I'm fairly new to vaping (6 months) and don't claim to be an expert. I really like my iStick 40W TC, so well, there you go. Many here may consider my standards "low":) Having said that:

I guess I got lucky. I got mine from My Vapor Store. All black. Arrived in good condition. No scratches, good finish, centered display. Fire button does rattle slightly if I shake it hard. Not an issue for me. Has a good click to it. Updated without issue, once I removed the batteries :oops:.

SS TC?:
I bought the Cubiod to have better battery life on my RDAs (usually 0.30 Ohm builds), but I have never had stainless steel TC (I like the Ni 200 0.15 Kanger coils in my Nano on iStick 40w for "out and about vaping", so I do like TC). To try the SS TC I put one of the SS 0.4 Ohm Aspire Triton coils in my Triton 2. Set the base resistance and power to 40w. TC was not limiting temperature and letting the coil get too hot. So I played with the TCR M1 setting, and eventually found with the coefficient set to 0070, I get a great vape with about 450 F set. I really like SS TC. Need to learn what I am doing here.:)

I also tried it with Ni200 0.15 Ohm tanks (Kanger Nano, and Aspire Altantis 2), and all worked great.

Also tried parallel 22g Kenthal coils on my Velociy and Glacier 2. All good, I tried power mode all the way up to 50W. I mentioned in a post above that the Cubiod was wasted on me, wattage wise.:)

I am using band new Sony VTC4 batteries. Still limits to 25A. Batteries are lasting very well.

It is smaller and heavier than expected. I like it.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
UPDATE 3 Thread Title Change: Since this thread has got more attention than i initially expected or anticipated, and because i created it in an angry moment with a lot of disappointment about a product that i was initially very excited about, and without looking at the big picture, i feel responsible to change the thread title to more reasonably reflect and represent the statistical reality of the mass production quality of this device, after having seen the latest reports from people who received this mod recently in what appears to be a much better condition than the mod i received two weeks ago, it seems that Joyetech are responsive to their customer's feedback and are already revising the product and improving the production and assembly quality thus they deserve credit for that.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
UPDATE 3 Thread Title Change: Since this thread has got more attention than i initially expected or anticipated, and because i created it in an angry moment with a lot of disappointment about a product that i was initially very excited about, and without looking at the big picture, i feel responsible to change the thread title to more reasonably reflect and represent the statistical reality of the mass production quality of this device, after having seen the latest reports from people who received this mod recently in what appears to be a much better condition than the mod i received two weeks ago, it seems that Joyetech are responsive to their customer's feedback and are already revising the product and improving the production and assembly quality thus they deserve credit for that.

Wow! good for you! I imagine Joyetech is super relieved that you changed the title from:

Worst Product Quality in the Universe! Horrible! Horrendous!

I think you let them off the hook easy. Such largess. Must have been the massive impact on their sales that prompted you to relent on your crusade for consumer correctness in display protective film. Bravo!

We are truly fortunate to have such a humanitairian such as yourself, gracing our humble forum.

On behalf of the Silver Contributor Gang I think I speak for us all when I tell you that you have no idea how much this means to us....

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Not certain either title is/was accurate. They certainly weren't all crap quality/condition, before, and somebody just received a new one with scratches, scuffs & a rattley fire button, to which somebody else replied "sounds like a normal Cuboid."

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They certainly weren't all crap quality/condition, before, and somebody just received a new one with scratches, scuffs & a rattley fire button, to which somebody else replied "sounds like a normal Cuboid."

There are a thousand stories in the Naked City.

Somewhere, there is somebody with a bloody nose crying out for justice!

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not certain either title is/was accurate. They certainly weren't all crap quality/condition, before, and somebody just received a new one with scratches, scuffs & a rattley fire button, to which somebody else replied "sounds like a normal Cuboid."
I saw that post, looks like most people here had this device for around $35-$40 and for them it seems that these issues are acceptable for the price.

The button rattle looks like it will always be there by virtue of its design, whether this bothers the user or not is subjective i would personally not use a device with a button that works this way.

The film protector scratches i still see as a problem that must be addressed, it is there to protect an otherwise easily scratchable plastic screen, if the user removes it they risk scratching the actual screen easier, if they attempt to replace it with something like a mobile phone sticky screen protector it will be hard to cut around the adjustment buttons, not to mention that Joyetech never mentioned in the user manual that it is meant to be removed as its purpose is to PROTECT the actual screen.

The old title was a bit on the extreme side, this one sounds more reasonable to me, at the end each person sets the bar for what to accept for their money so it is like many things in vaping, very subjective

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
You've
The film protector scratches i still see as a problem that must be addressed, it is there to protect an otherwise easily scratchable plastic screen, if the user removes it they risk scratching the actual screen easier, if they attempt to replace it with something like a mobile phone sticky screen protector it will be hard to cut around the adjustment buttons, ...
I never even considered the bit I bolded, above. I didn't like the buttons located within that shiny black plastic, before. Now I like it even less. (If that's even possible.) Ick
puking-01.gif

I noticed, just recently, complements of a new owner's photo, that the Vaporflask Stout is the same way. Even worse: It has the fire button located in that plastic. So that one's off the table, for me, now, as well. Geez, I hope this doesn't become a trend.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You've

I never even considered the bit I bolded, above. I didn't like the buttons located within that shiny black plastic, before. Now I like it even less. (If that's even possible.) Ick
puking-01.gif

I noticed, just recently, complements of a new owner's photo, that the Vaporflask Stout is the same way. Even worse: It has the fire button located in that plastic. So that one's off the table, for me, now, as well. Geez, I hope this doesn't become a trend.
LOOOOL :D what can i say with the majority of people here perceiving absolutely shitty production quality as "acceptable" they even freaking love it, which encourages China to throw more garbage products their way, and they still buy it and LOVE IT hahaha, looks like You and I are the only OCD people in here.

I saw a video review of the VaporFlask Wismec Classic here: (Check Time 3:16 in the Video)

One of the magnets that hold the battery cover in place came out in the second day, appears to be glued in place, so the strength of the glue holding the magnet is weaker than the magnet force which is a definite design mess up and they still manage to sell the mod for a whopping $90 bucks, and guess what, fire button is also placed on top of that plastic, one more device to take off your list? :D

Here is an interesting story to consider, the same day i was putting the Cuboid back in its box to mail it back, i was also mailing back a product my wife bought and didn't like its performance, a hair styler, BOTH had the phrase "Made In China" written on the them, the hair styler had an absolutely stunning build quality down to the finest detail, outstanding finish and packaging, and the Cuboid .... you know the story, the moral of the story is that China is a capable industrial force, which tweaks their production quality to what people are willing to accept, i would personally not mind charging $10-$20 bucks more for the Cuboid, just give me a neatly manufactured and assembled product which you are very well capable of doing.

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
LOOOOL :D what can i say with the majority of people here perceiving absolutely shitty production quality as "acceptable" they even freaking love it, which encourages China to throw more garbage products their way, and they still buy it and LOVE IT hahaha, looks like You and I are the only OCD people in here.
Yeah, I noticed that.

I saw a video review of the VaporFlask Wismec Classic here: (Check Time 3:16 in the Video)

One of the magnets that hold the battery cover in place came out in the second day, appears to be glued in place, so the strength of the glue holding the magnet is weaker than the magnet force which is a definite design mess up and they still manage to sell the mod for a whopping $90 bucks,
Eh *shrug* How else are you going to hold magnets in place? Production snafus happen, and that one is easily fixable, so I wouldn't overly worry about it. Now if they all fall out, over time: That's another story. That would be reflective of poor production quality.

and guess what, fire button is also placed on top of that plastic, one more device to take off your list? :D
How the hell have I been missing this so often? Yeah: Off the list. Thanks for the catch. my list has been updated. It's getting shorter.

... the moral of the story is that China is a capable industrial force, which tweaks their production quality to what people are willing to accept,
That is unquestionably true. Just look at the eVic-VTC Mini, which has earned nearly universal acclaim.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

You fucking asked for it.

Betelgeuse Betelgeuse Betelgeuse

@stevegmu

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When is the last time you bought a 40$ (or 70$ in third world countries apparently) cellphone and it had the same quality fit, finish, or features as one retailing for 500$?
Oh, what's that? You haven't? Because top shelf quality costs $$.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The reason it costs so much there is the added cost sellers have to recover for replacing, and restocking products for reasons like non existant scratches.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

One of the magnets that hold the battery cover in place came out in the second day, appears to be glued in place, so the strength of the glue holding the magnet is weaker than the magnet force which is a definite design mess up and they still manage to sell the mod for a whopping $90 bucks, and guess what, fire button is also placed on top of that plastic, one more device to take off your list? :D

Here is an interesting story to consider, the same day i was putting the Cuboid back in its box to mail it back, i was also mailing back a product my wife bought and didn't like its performance, a hair styler, BOTH had the phrase "Made In China" written on the them, the hair styler had an absolutely stunning build quality down to the finest detail, outstanding finish and packaging, and the Cuboid .... you know the story, the moral of the story is that China is a capable industrial force, which tweaks their production quality to what people are willing to accept, i would personally not mind charging $10-$20 bucks more for the Cuboid, just give me a neatly manufactured and assembled product which you are very well capable of doing.

Somehow vapers were willing to spend $50-75 on a carton of cigarettes every week, but only $40 for a mod and $25 for an atty. Of course China is capable of making quality products- under strict supervision by the likes of Apple, but that takes money, which raises the cost of the final product, far above what new vapers find acceptable, so they keep buying low quality, hokey mods which are lucky to outlast the warranty...

VaporCarp

#BlackRiflesMatter
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Somehow vapers were willing to spend $50-75 on a carton of cigarettes every week, but only $40 for a mod and $25 for an atty. Of course China is capable of making quality products- under strict supervision by the likes of Apple, but that takes money, which raises the cost of the final product, far above what new vapers find acceptable, so they keep buying low quality, hokey mods which are lucky to outlast the warranty...
After reading many posts on here I've thought to myself... How in the hell did they afford cigs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After reading many posts on here I've thought to myself... How in the hell did they afford cigs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think most new vapers were never smokers...

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
so they keep buying low quality, hokey mods which are lucky to outlast the warranty...

Would "Worst Product Quality in the Universe! Horrible! Horrendous!" constitute a fair assesment of Chinese products in your opinion?

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The reason it costs so much there is the added cost sellers have to recover for replacing, and restocking products for reasons like non existant scratches.

I think Joytech needs to add a second layer of film to its screen protector. This way if someone gets a scratched screen protector they can peel the first layer off and have a brand new screen protector. Kind of like a NASCAR windshield. LMFAO!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I think Joytech needs to add a second layer of film to its screen protector. This way if someone gets a scratched screen protector they can peel the first layer off and have a brand new screen protector. Kind of like a NASCAR windshield. LMFAO!
They do...Theres the one you first peel off and a film you cant really see on top of the screen. My Cuboid and Snow Wolf Mini both had both...I thought my screens were fucked until I saw that there was a 2nd screen protector on it, its just perfectly cut and placed.

When my new Cuboid gets here Wednesday ill take a pic of the first and second film...well once they are fucked I mean...

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
They do...Theres the one you first peel off and a film you cant really see on top of the screen. My Cuboid and Snow Wolf Mini both had both...I thought my screens were fucked until I saw that there was a 2nd screen protector on it, its just perfectly cut and placed.

When my new Cuboid gets here Wednesday ill take a pic of the first and second film...well once they are fucked I mean...
That's hilarious. I was being sarcastic but man that should make a lot of people here real happy. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I think most new vapers were never smokers...
I would not compare these to a pack of dry leaves wrapped in paper (AKA cigarettes) as they have nothing in common, it is more relevant to compare to a Variable-Output Flashlight or a Multi-meter, electronics with similar complexity, simple circuit board, OCD, few buttons and an electrical connection (AKA Simple electronic devices),

It is statutory mandatory for an electronic device in Europe to last AT LEAST three years (3) from the day of purchase, otherwise the consumer is entitled to a replacement or a refund if the product cease to function within three years, i am technically entitled BY LAW to get a replacement every time one of these mods becomes defective as a result of poor manufacturing of its internals (not if i drop it or break it). THE LAW does not take into consideration the price of cigarettes or how cheap or expensive the electronic device was.

What would you feel about a Flashlight or a Multi-meter ceasing to function after a month or two of purchase? would it be ok based on the fact that its price was less than a cartoon of smokes? what if you use that Multi-meter to measure your coil resistance and battery voltages? could you include its cost in your vaping budget and start comparing it to the cost of cigarettes?

Using cigarettes as a measuring stick of value is common in prison, outside of prison i would use comparable electronic devices as a measuring stick not cigarettes :D

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

That's hilarious. I was being sarcastic but man that should make a lot of people here real happy. Lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

I'm sure even that won't satisfy certain people here, that is unless they are rated for at least 200mph lmao :D:p;)

Last edited:

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Somehow vapers were willing to spend $50-75 on a carton of cigarettes every week, but only $40 for a mod and $25 for an atty
... And replacement coils, and wire and cotton, and flavors, and basis and nic., and liquids, and batteries and chargers and coiling tools and an RBA and then another mod and yet another tank and more replacement coils and more batteries and a TAB to build on and .. and ... and ... and ... and ............

VERSUS

A Pack of Cigarettes and a lighter PLUS a good medical insurance for when they start killing you :D

africamonk

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
So I scratched my Cuboid more ... This just sucks ... I mean.. I paid $40 for this with my hard earned money... WTF is this BS... I've contact homeland security to close off our borders and stop this from importing.. I've had enough ....

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would not compare these to a pack of dry leaves wrapped in paper (AKA cigarettes) as they have nothing in common, it is more relevant to compare to a Variable-Output Flashlight or a Multi-meter, electronics with similar complexity, simple circuit board, OCD, few buttons and an electrical connection (AKA Simple electronic devices),

It is statutory mandatory for an electronic device in Europe to last AT LEAST three years (3) from the day of purchase, otherwise the consumer is entitled to a replacement or a refund if the product cease to function within three years, i am technically entitled BY LAW to get a replacement every time one of these mods becomes defective as a result of poor manufacturing of its internals (not if i drop it or break it). THE LAW does not take into consideration the price of cigarettes or how cheap or expensive the electronic device was.

What would you feel about a Flashlight or a Multi-meter ceasing to function after a month or two of purchase? would it be ok based on the fact that its price was less than a cartoon of smokes? what if you use that Multi-meter to measure your coil resistance and battery voltages? could you include its cost in your vaping budget and start comparing it to the cost of cigarettes?

Using cigarettes as a measuring stick of value is common in prison, outside of prison i would use comparable electronic devices as a measuring stick not cigarettes :D

When I started vaping, electronic cigarettes were a replacement for smoking cigarettes, hence the comparison in cost. Now, I guess, sport vaping has taken over the online aspect of vaping...
I only buy quality gear- in every category of tools or electronics, not whatever costs the least...
Good luck with having poor quality mods replaced every few months...

Last edited:

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I only buy quality gear- in every category of tools or electronics, not whatever costs the least...

Amen. Which is why I only use my Hewlett Packard mod with the external reference oscillator. Stable to 0.00000000000000009 ppm in frequency. Great vape! Of course the cart and need for a stable labratory power supply might be seen by some as an inconvienance, but hey. You can't have everything.

My Blaupunkt Panzer V2 should be here next week! 18 watts of raw power, with a sapphire crystal display screen! I can't wait!!

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Amen. Which is why I only use my Hewlett Packard mod with the external reference oscillator. Stable to 0.00000000000000009 ppm in frequency. Great vape! Of course the cart and need for a stable labratory power supply might be seen by some as an inconvienance, but hey. You can't have everything.

My Blaupunkt Panzer V2 should be here next week! 18 watts of raw power, with a sapphire crystal display screen! I can't wait!!

Blaupunkt? Cmon dude, paradigm and 3D acoustics is where it's at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vuJim

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm going to regret this. I just know I will...

Sometimes that's justified. Sometimes not. I'd love to have a toolbox full of Snap-On, Matco or Mac hand tools, but Sears Craftsman or Kobalt have to suffice, because I really cannot afford to spend $20 a pop for screwdrivers and open-end wrenches. And, given my use, cannot come close to justifying it. Besides: More expensive does not necessarily always equate to better. I have a DeWalt quarter-sheet palm sander that I'd be more than willing to put up against any other palm-sander you'd care to name, and I'm normally a Makita/Milwuakee/Hitachi/etc. guy.

How about a Tale Of Two Anchors? There is a company named Rocna that designed a new kind of boat anchor. The Rocna anchor proved to have superior holding power in nearly every type of sea bottom and in nearly every type of sea conditions. Along came a company with the less-expensively-priced Manson Supreme. It was claimed, by the people who made the Rocna to be an inferior knock-off. At some point Rocna production was moved to China. The manufacturer claimed tight quality control would ensure continued high qualify. To cut to the chase: In the end it turned out that corners had been cut and the newer versions of the more expensive Rocna were found to have been being made of inferior steel. (This was proven, in a lab, by a metallurgist. I understand this issue has since been corrected and the company making the anchor changed hands. Furthermore: Many of the chandleries that sold the substandard anchors replaced them upon request.)

Name any other category of thing, product or servive, and I'm sure I can come up with equivalent examples of more expensive not necessarily equalling better.

Same with vape gear. My Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini cost me all of about $43 + shipping, if memory serves. Find something to beat it in feature set and, so far, reliability, at any price-point.

The Cuboid, in my opinion, and from what I've seen, is an exception that proves the rule, however. My impression is that the Cuboid, unlike the eVic-VTC Mini, is poorly-made, and not a particularly good design. Just contrast the number of complaints you've seen about the latter, in the short time it's been out, compared to the former, which has been on the market a good deal longer. So, I'll continue to recommend the eVic-VTC Mini. Might even buy another. The Cuboid: Will neither own nor recommend.

Vapomizer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I started vaping, electronic cigarettes were a replacement for smoking cigarettes, hence the comparison in cost.
At first Maybe, once smoking is long out of the way, vaping is an activity of its own, one which involves a different cost structure and a bunch of electronic components which can only be compared to their electronic counterparts.

Good luck with having poor quality mods replaced every few months...
The LAW is the LAW, manufacturer/retails warranty can only be same or better than what the law makes mandatory, in Europe if an electronic device fails before 3 years the retailer has no choice but to replace it or refund it if the consumer insists.

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm going to regret this. I just know I will...

Sometimes that's justified. Sometimes not. I'd love to have a toolbox full of Snap-On, Matco or Mac hand tools, but Sears Craftsman or Kobalt have to suffice, because I really cannot afford to spend $20 a pop for screwdrivers and open-end wrenches. And, given my use, cannot come close to justifying it. Besides: More expensive does not necessarily always equate to better. I have a DeWalt quarter-sheet palm sander that I'd be more than willing to put up against any other palm-sander you'd care to name, and I'm normally a Makita/Milwuakee/Hitachi/etc. guy.

How about a Tale Of Two Anchors? There is a company named Rocna that designed a new kind of boat anchor. The Rocna anchor proved to have superior holding power in nearly every type of sea bottom and in nearly every type of sea conditions. Along came a company with the less-expensively-priced Manson Supreme. It was claimed, by the people who made the Rocna to be an inferior knock-off. At some point Rocna production was moved to China. The manufacturer claimed tight quality control would ensure continued high qualify. To cut to the chase: In the end it turned out that corners had been cut and the newer versions of the more expensive Rocna were found to have been being made of inferior steel. (This was proven, in a lab, by a metallurgist. I understand this issue has since been corrected and the company making the anchor changed hands. Furthermore: Many of the chandleries that sold the substandard anchors replaced them upon request.)

Name any other category of thing, product or servive, and I'm sure I can come up with equivalent examples of more expensive not necessarily equalling better.

Same with vape gear. My Joyetech eVic-VTC Mini cost me all of about $43 + shipping, if memory serves. Find something to beat it in feature set and, so far, reliability, at any price-point.

The Cuboid, in my opinion, and from what I've seen, is an exception that proves the rule, however. My impression is that the Cuboid, unlike the eVic-VTC Mini, is poorly-made, and not a particularly good design. Just contrast the number of complaints you've seen about the latter, in the short time it's been out, compared to the former, which has been on the market a good deal longer. So, I'll continue to recommend the eVic-VTC Mini. Might even buy another. The Cuboid: Will neither own nor recommend.

I never said more expensive is always better. I do prefer to buy tools only once and not have to deal with screwdrivers and wrenches which aren't quite the exact size they should be... I'd also rather not support a country whose government actively supports cyberterrorism whenever possible....
No idea about box mods with features I will never use. I vape at around 7 watts and have no need for temp. control...

Last edited:

stevegmu

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
At first Maybe, once smoking is long out of the way, vaping is an activity of its own, one which involves a different cost structure and a bunch of electronic components which can only be compared to their electronic counterparts.

The LAW is the LAW, manufacturer/retails warranty can only be same or better than what the law makes mandatory, in Europe if an electronic device fails before 3 years the retailer has no choice but to replace it or refund it if the consumer insists.

I am referring to vaping as a cigarette replacement, not sport or hobby vaping...
If the retailer is in China, the EU will help you sue a Chinese company to get your 35 Euro back?

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I know you keep talking about 3 years. It's not like that is coming free. That's probably the main reason something we pay less than $40 costs you $100. Manufacturers aren't in business to lose money. I'd rather buy carefully and if I have to buy a replacement, I'd still be $20 to the good.

Honestly, I buy things that I consider quality items that should last. With electronics in general, if they make it past 30 days or so they will last until they wear out or they get broken by misuse. It's called the bathtub curve. I generally never buy extended warranties either. I refer to those as high priced insurance. On top of that, most of them expire just before the curve starts to go back up.

Cheers,
Steve

VU Sponsors