Late Night in DIYland, take II

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
She's a couple hundred miles south of there. I'm another 100 ish south of her.

That's good to hear. Fox and CNN are depicting this as a tragic event.

AAnthemYVI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
uploadfromtaptalk1408899474730.jpguploadfromtaptalk1408899488382.jpg
3a46d671329e48a36aad2864e12d0116.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1408899547627.jpg
My spinner revival

Cramptholomew

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So is ours. From the name I figured banoffee was a coffee thing, but when I found the recipe, I knew it would disappear quickly here. Did you have the nerve to boil the milk in the can? I didn't want to clean the ceiling and pull metal shards out of my forehead, so I didn't do it that way. I also added rum flavoring to the whipped cream. Of course!
I USED TO boil the can in a pan of water, with the top removed. Takes too damn long. Lately, I've been using the butter+brown sugar+condensed milk version, and heating all that until boiling in a pan. Takes 5 mins, as opposed to the 1 1/2 hours to caramelize it the other way. Plus, I think it tastes better this way.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a smart phone. I have a pay-as-you-go open-face phone with number keys on it.

The last number I had (another pay-as-you-go) used to belong to someone with bad credit, so I'd get several calls each day of bill collectors looking for whoever it was. They didn't believe me that that was MY new number, I'd never heard of that person, and they should stop calling me. Nope, didn't matter to them.

But my new number...not one bill collector calling. :thumbsup:

However, my new IP address of my server, not so lucky. Turns out that my ISP considers it a spam IP, so I've had to contact my host and have them look into my server, make sure it's not sending spam (it's not), and contact the necessary authorities to take my IP off of the various spam sender lists.

That'll take a couple of days.

In the meantime, it's perfectly safe to use. I'm just getting irritating emails from various email hosts letting me know my IP is suspect (it's not). Emails are still going through.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In other news, the other day my husband told me that his bottle of SweeTTarts was getting low. I looked, and it was lower, but not too bad (or so I thought).

The next day, he went to fill his clearomizer, and he was out of juice! NO!

So I had to find another that he'd accept, temporarily, and mix up more of his SweeTTarts. No biggie, but Sweet and Tart is a TFA flavor, so the recipe doesn't follow the pattern of my FA recipes. I had to dig out the recipe from my pile of recipes, and then mix it.

Only took a few minutes, but he wasn't happy that I wasn't more proactive when he mentioned it to me. I'm a little upset with me, too, but at the same time, he could learn to mix, himself. I know he won't, though. He has no interest in that part (and besides, he's never used a syringe and doesn't know any of the brands or percentages. He doesn't even know his PG/VG ratio).

I'm happy to do it for him, though. I'm just relieved that we're both still vaping instead of going back to the stinkies. :)

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Lol, Emilie, sounds like my house! Hubby has no idea of pg/vg or nic. Just "my little bottle is empty". Has no interest in looking in the cupboard for the big bottle to refill it himself. But he is very appreciative that I make it for him & keep him supplied. When I told him about the liter sale of nic, he said I'd better get 2 just to be safe. :D

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I think hubby is appreciative, though he's never said it. Still, it's rewarding in itself that he's stuck with it. :)

Little Bottle / Big Bottle. Now there's an idea. I should make these in bigger batches. Right now I'm mixing 30ml at a time.

Drat. I need 4oz blue glass bottles. :(

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
In other news, the other day my husband told me that his bottle of SweeTTarts was getting low. I looked, and it was lower, but not too bad (or so I thought).

At least your partner fills tanks. All the shopping, mixing, filling, cleaning, and maintenance are up to me. It doesn't bother me a bit compared the alternative (a partner who smokes), so I stay cheerful about it.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Emilie, that happened to me when I got the cable/internet/phone bundle. I really didn't want a house phone but it was cheaper to bundle for a year. I had the phone plugged in for maybe a week and got 3 or 4 calls a day from bill collectors. Whoever had that phone number before definitely didn't pay their bills.

AAnthemYVI

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

So I had to find another that he'd accept, temporarily, and mix up more of his SweeTTarts. No biggie, but Sweet and Tart is a TFA flavor, so the recipe doesn't follow the pattern of my FA recipes. I had to dig out the recipe from my pile of recipes, and then mix it.

Only took a few minutes, but he wasn't happy that I wasn't more proactive when he mentioned it to me. I'm a little upset with me, too, but at the same time, he could learn to mix, himself. I know he won't, though. He has no interest in that part (and besides, he's never used a syringe and doesn't know any of the brands or percentages. He doesn't even know his PG/VG ratio).

I'm happy to do it for him, though. I'm just relieved that we're both still vaping instead of going back to the stinkies. :)
Teach me oh masters I want to learn about making juices
Lol, Emilie, sounds like my house! Hubby has no idea of pg/vg or nic. Just "my little bottle is empty". Has no interest in looking in the cupboard for the big bottle to refill it himself. But he is very appreciative that I make it for him & keep him supplied. When I told him about the liter sale of nic, he said I'd better get 2 just to be safe. :D

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
At least your partner fills tanks. All the shopping, mixing, filling, cleaning, and maintenance are up to me. It doesn't bother me a bit compared the alternative (a partner who smokes), so I stay cheerful about it.

I finally had to tell him one day that I would show him how to fill a tank. He was nervous about it, but he did just fine. I showed him a couple of times before he was a natural at it. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
@Emilie, that happened to me when I got the cable/internet/phone bundle. I really didn't want a house phone but it was cheaper to bundle for a year. I had the phone plugged in for maybe a week and got 3 or 4 calls a day from bill collectors. Whoever had that phone number before definitely didn't pay their bills.

Ouch. At least you weren't planning on using your home phone much and just had it because the bundle was cheaper. :)

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ouch. At least you weren't planning on using your home phone much and just had it because the bundle was cheaper. :)
They talked me into it. Said it was great to have a home phone in case 911 had to be called. It made sense at the time...well the cheaper part was good too but made NO sense that cable + internet would have cost more. That's all I have now and it's waaay cheaper than it was.
Now if I have to call 911 it's a NJ number. lol I should have changed it when I moved here but didn't want to give up my number.

I need to sign up on your site. Maybe I could sell some drip tips there while I'm procrastinating on this website?

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't have a smart phone.

<<snip>>

However, my new IP address of my server, not so lucky. Turns out that my ISP considers it a spam IP, so I've had to contact my host and have them look into my server, make sure it's not sending spam (it's not), and contact the necessary authorities to take my IP off of the various spam sender lists.

That'll take a couple of days.

In the meantime, it's perfectly safe to use. I'm just getting irritating emails from various email hosts letting me know my IP is suspect (it's not). Emails are still going through.

PM sent...

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
They talked me into it. Said it was great to have a home phone in case 911 had to be called. It made sense at the time...well the cheaper part was good too but made NO sense that cable + internet would have cost more. That's all I have now and it's waaay cheaper than it was.
Now if I have to call 911 it's a NJ number. lol I should have changed it when I moved here but didn't want to give up my number.

I need to sign up on your site. Maybe I could sell some drip tips there while I'm procrastinating on this website?

Ooh, I love that idea, too! :D

I'd love to drop our phone service, and I may, but I'm not sure where to go right now or if I can trust our pay-as-you-go phones as our only phones. I tend to forget to charge mine. :oops:

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Telephone 911 FYI...

I'm pretty sure that even if you have the phone company terminate your service, the home jack must still allow a phone attached to it to dial 911. you do not need to pay for home phone service to have 911 access.

This is also true for "expired" cell phones. Unless they are damaged, and the battery is charged, even though you cannot call another phone, you can still reach 911.

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Telephone 911 FYI...

I'm pretty sure that even if you have the phone company terminate your service, the home jack must still allow a phone attached to it to dial 911. you do not need to pay for home phone service to have 911 access.

This is also true for "expired" cell phones. Unless they are damaged, and the battery is charged, even though you cannot call another phone, you can still reach 911.
I had heard of that, but wasn't sure if it were true.

glassgrl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Telephone 911 FYI...

That's pretty cool! No way to test it though. lol "Hello 911, what is your emergency?" "Oh nothing. Just checking."

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would think that one quick test would be OK. Dial 911, and see what answers. Then say sorry, no emergency - just a test. I would not immediately hang up, the operator may have some questions to ask to insure that this is NOT an emergency...

Cavediver

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would think that one quick test would be OK. Dial 911, and see what answers. Then say sorry, no emergency - just a test. I would not immediately hang up, the operator may have some questions to ask to insure that this is NOT an emergency...
See if you can call a non-emergency number first and give them a heads-up.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
RP Senior - I might have felt the earthquake, but I was down south visiting my lil bro and sis. I asked the fur children when we returned but got no response.

Emilie!!!!!!!! That's freaken awesome!!!! Very well done! Let us know if you need any beta testers to make some fake purchases or anything. I'm in awe over your work.

AA - when you're ready to mix, we're here to help.

Everyone - hi!

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And yes...even a non connected phone will call 911. You can call your local police department, and they'll verify it.

I have a long distance number, but when I called 911, it dialed the local dispatch...was in an accident. I have also called twice on the hwy in random locations when drivers were clearly intoxicated or stupid, and both times it dialed the local emergency people.

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
And yes...even a non connected phone will call 911. You can call your local police department, and they'll verify it.

I have a long distance number, but when I called 911, it dialed the local dispatch...was in an accident. I have also called twice on the hwy in random locations when drivers were clearly intoxicated or stupid, and both times it dialed the local emergency people.

You are talking cell phone, right? I'm going to call our police dept tomorrow about the home (wired) phones.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor

Yep, but at least here, they'll send an officer to check things out anyway - no matter what you say. Embarrassing.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whether unconnected cell or home line, both are supposed to dial to 911. However, I haven't had a land line in years.

rowdyplace

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whether unconnected cell or home line, both are supposed to dial to 911. However, I haven't had a land line in years.

That was my original point. One does not have to pay for land line service to have 911 available.

Even though you do not pay for a land line, if there is a jack in the dwelling that once worked, then it should allow the completion of a 911 call.

Erck

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ooh, I love that idea, too! :D

I'd love to drop our phone service, and I may, but I'm not sure where to go right now or if I can trust our pay-as-you-go phones as our only phones. I tend to forget to charge mine. :oops:

Emilie, My wife and I are full time RVers, so a land line is impossible. We also do all our banking on line. We are in our fifth year of cell phone only and have never had a problem. The trick is to pick the right provider. We traveled all over the US with Verizon and hit a few places where service was limited. Then we went to AT&T. They have gone out of their way to provide service wherever you may be. For data we had an AIR Card (with Verizon and AT&T) and had a few problems up in the far northwest corner of the state of Washington, Montana, and Tennessee with Verizon. No problems with AT&T and we recently switched to their MIFI. After a bad start because of a defective device, the service has been perfect. Burner, or pay-as-you-go phones are not the way to go. You need the support of a provider and you get your phones FREE. The phones are very powerful computers that happen to allow you to talk to some one half way around the world. Check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Eric

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Emilie, My wife and I are full time RVers, so a land line is impossible. We also do all our banking on line. We are in our fifth year of cell phone only and have never had a problem. The trick is to pick the right provider. We traveled all over the US with Verizon and hit a few places where service was limited. Then we went to AT&T. They have gone out of their way to provide service wherever you may be. For data we had an AIR Card (with Verizon and AT&T) and had a few problems up in the far northwest corner of the state of Washington, Montana, and Tennessee with Verizon. No problems with AT&T and we recently switched to their MIFI. After a bad start because of a defective device, the service has been perfect. Burner, or pay-as-you-go phones are not the way to go. You need the support of a provider and you get your phones FREE. The phones are very powerful computers that happen to allow you to talk to some one half way around the world. Check it out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Eric

Absolutely, Eric. :)

We just almost never use mobile phones right now (I guess because we have landlines), so I wasn't even thinking about that.

The thing is, until my husband is getting paid regularly, we simply can't afford a regular provider other than our landline (which is actually cable). We wouldn't be saving anything to switch to two mobile phones right now. We hardly even need to add any time, other than to keep our mobiles active every three months.

One of the only reasons I'd like a regular carrier right now, however, is so I'd actually have a phone number in my home area code. Pay-as-you-go only has them for the next area code over. :/

Good to know about AT&T, though. I used to be with them 15 years ago. :)

downInTn

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Telephone 911 FYI...

I recently ditched the land line and was wondering why I still get a dial tone.o_O

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm sure we're paying way too much for our land line. It's bundled with our internet and TV.

I gotta check with Comcast to see what our internet and TV would cost without phone. After thinking about it a while, it may be worth it to drop our phone and keep a couple of wired phones connected for 911.

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I recently ditched the land line and was wondering why I still get a dial tone.o_O

I literally ripped the land lines out of the walls in my current house 8 yrs ago.

Prior to that was using voip phone.

vaping one day at a time

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So much for using this thread properly. We're now polar opposites from where we were a month ago.

I was up before 5am this morning. I'd much rather stay up all night, but with hubby's new job, we sleep nights. :(

Ace

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, just remember that strange things can happen at night. The thread wanders in and out but eventually it gets there :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I don't know why it took me so long, but VU finally has its own folder in Outlook. :)

Emilie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Waking up at silly'o'clock was sure to get me in trouble one of these days. Who knew it would be on the first day.:oops:

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I either stay up till 2am or fall asleep by midnight and wake up every 3 hrs.

vaping one day at a time

ClaireW

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Oh! Was happy to see Breaking bad got a few emmys. Not do happy that OITNB did not get v any attention. Except for Crazy eyes.

vaping one day at a time

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Every night the kid complains about taking a shower. Hates it. Doesn't need it. Don't make me do it. Drags feet.
every night after she gets in she starts singing. Stays forever and just keeps singing. Gofigure
Why are you telling them about my nightly ritual?

You're daughter sounds like me.

RocketPuppy

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can't sing if someone is watching.

VU Sponsors