Become a Patron!

Mech Mod Help.

So, I am not new to vaping at all, but I am new to mech mods. I read up a lot on them and I figured I would give them a try. So I have ordered a SMPL Mech mod and know its ins and outs. My problem being. I have an rta ohming at .74 and an rda ohming at .34. Rta Kylin rta single coil 26g Kanthol Build, Rda (Devils Atty dual coil 26g kanthol build) My current Battery is a brown LG battery 3000 mAh and 3.7 volts. 4.2 Fully Charged as most are. My question is. Should I keep my ohms at .74 or .34? I have a good understanding of ohms law and I know how to use the calculator. Showing the .74 ohm amping out at 5A which is safe from what ive read. But the .34 amps out at 10A which is 50% of what the batter is registered to be able to use continually. So which would be safer to use on my SMPL mech mod?? Also. Made sure both the RTA and RDA have the 510 protruding pins so i can use them on the SMPL mech.

Edit: The Mod also comes with a samsung battery which it doesn't give any info about so I dont know if it will be better than the ones I have now.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
It's safe to use either atomizer. However, with the 0.74 Ohm coil, you probably don't get the vapor production as you would expect. With the 0.34 Ohm coil, the battery won't last long. Check out http://www.steam-engine.org/batt.html

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
So where do you think it would be optimal? Like .5 ohms? For decent vapor and decent battery life? I can rebuild either to suite the needs. So its probably going to be trial and error.
Personally, I prefer 0.3 Ohm coil(s). However, I do have plenty of charged batteries. I'm using my mech mod's only at home, so I don't have to worry about safely hauling batteries around.
As you mentioned yourself, trial and error.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My two bits for what its worth.
  1. Your LG Brown currently is fine but I would recommend getting some Sony VTC5A's, they are the best Mech Batteries IMO
  2. If you're a Tootie Puffer => 0.5Ω is fine but I would recommend more around 0.2Ω - 0.25Ω, maybe 0.3Ω
You do really need to take some time and mess about with different builds to find your sweet spot.

Last edited:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Here to pass the trifecta for 0.30 Ω. I'm starting to hone in from there to roughly 0.45 Ω. If you split the difference the average is ~0.37+/-0.02. That noted three votes for 0.30 sets the precedence.

Okay now I have a new problem. I just rebuilt my rta going for a .5 ohm build and at first it stayed at .45. But now it fluctuates between .35-.65 is that safe? Or should I try rebuilding again?

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Re-check that the screws in the postholes are tight. If that doesn't fix it, grab your coiling tool or screwdriver that you used for making your coil, and wiggle it around inside the coil a little bit. Check for hot spots and hot legs by dry firing on a regulated mod or build station. Sometimes it's just something stupid like a speck of dirt between the 510 connector or a loose binding post that you have to re-tighten by turning a screw at the bottom of the build deck. Ohms should not fluctuate by much more than .01 if everything is right.

Re-check that the screws in the postholes are tight. If that doesn't fix it, grab your coiling tool or screwdriver that you used for making your coil, and wiggle it around inside the coil a little bit. Check for hot spots and hot legs by dry firing on a regulated mod or build station. Sometimes it's just something stupid like a speck of dirt between the 510 connector or a loose binding post that you have to re-tighten by turning a screw at the bottom of the build deck. Ohms should not fluctuate by much more than .01 if everything is right.
Cleaned off the connectors and re tightened the screws. Seems to be fixed. Has not moved from .39 ohms. Thanks for the reply !

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Our apologies for dropping the ball as it were. Seems you earned your handle though. :)

VU Sponsors