Become a Patron!

MKWS quality?

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thought I'd ask if anyone else has had subpar performance from mkws or other premade spools of advanced wire builds. Not having the wire sizes needed and unsure whether it was worth it for complex builds I gave it a try. A spool of half staggered fused clapton which after looking at the results of others who hand wrap them look a bit 'meh'.

I've had a helluva time with it. I've tried larger coils (4mm to 4.2mm), I've tried smaller (2.5 and 3mm), I've tried 4 wraps, 5 wraps, 6 wraps, single and dual builds both with and without spacing between the wraps. Both the ammit and avocado I get the same results, a hot scratchy vape almost like a dry hit but the wick is wet.

When it comes to wicking I've used more cotton, less cotton, scottish roll. Nothing seems to make a difference. In single coil at 3.5mm 5 wraps it came out around .21 ohms. 30-60w, can't find a good temp to run it at. Rather than flavor it just scorches. When I turn the power down the heat drops but flavor's nowhere to be found and it's just scratchy feeling in the throat.

Odd since it's ss316L, same wire I use for other coils but not the same brand. When wrapping my own I used UD/youde wire, not mkws. I've strummed it and worked out the hot spots, I've also tried unwrapping part of the clapton so the wires getting contact in the posts are the core wires.

By contrast I just replaced it with a parallel coil consisting of 26g twisted ss316L paired with a single strand of 26g. At 3.5mm id and 6 wraps (12 total split between the two strands of plain and twisted) it comes out at .224 ohms, almost the same as the factory spool of hsfc. Huge difference, much smoother vape, lots of flavor.

Considering others have used claptons, staggered etc and get decent flavor is it just a case of bad factory wrapping? Crappy wire itself? Given the difference I'm thinking factory advanced builds premade on a spool just don't compare to handmade even when it's a relative noob wrapping them.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pre-made stuff is nothing like the real thing. Compare my pictures on IG @84whiteowl84 to the stuff pre-made coil makers call staggertons, aliens and ssfc and you'll see that it's all a big lie.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pre-made stuff is nothing like the real thing. Compare my pictures on IG @84whiteowl84 to the stuff pre-made coil makers call staggertons, aliens and ssfc and you'll see that it's all a big lie.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk
Yea those are seriously complex. Very nice work too btw. Can't recall exactly, I've watched a few vids recently but if I'm not mistaken the half staggered fused clapton starts off with a single core wire like a typical clapton. It's claptoned with two finer gauge wires, one wire remains and the other is unwound so what's left is an evenly spaced clapton. Then if it's fused with just one additional wire, another core wire is placed alongside the spaced clapton and the two cores are claptoned together with the finer gauge wrap being spun like a normal clapton but landing in the spaces left by the piece that got unwound.

In other words there should be two parallel cores, one ends up with the clapton wraps touching one another and the other core will only be spaced, correct? The mkws stuff predone on a spool came out sloppy as hell. It's somewhat even but there are huge gaps and the core that should be fully claptoned with all the wraps touching one another has gaps larger than two wraps wide.

Even so, seems to me that while it may not have flavor as good as a solid built hsfc it shouldn't act up that bad and just burn the juice should it? Worse than just plain single coils or twisted coils? Whatever they did it's got low resistance, slow ramp up and just doesn't seem to be worth the spool they wrapped it on. Either way I don't think it was even close to any sort of representation.

morfius1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I am KWS is high-quality wire. Or use it to make Clapton wire and it has the most awesome flavor over any other wire I have used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morfius1963

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
That was supposed to say MKWS in the beginning of that paragraph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thought I'd ask if anyone else has had subpar performance from mkws or other premade spools of advanced wire builds. Not having the wire sizes needed and unsure whether it was worth it for complex builds I gave it a try. A spool of half staggered fused clapton which after looking at the results of others who hand wrap them look a bit 'meh'.

"You raaaaang?"

Titanium (Ti) -- Commercially pure & surgical grade 1

Kanthal (KA1) -- Vapers can use A1 & not bother with D for safety.

NiChrome (NiCh)-- 80 is what is suggested for vaping use, not that anyone "officially" suggests for vaping use.

Stainless Steel (SS) -- 316L does the trick with this one.

Not sure a person would want to use it but it is listed so possibly it is used.

Nickel (Ni) -- 200 will be what you do want to use if you do use it.

No, I do not do associate sells or in any way represent TEMCo industrial. I buy vaping wire from them & so far never been disappointed with quality or speed of delivery. So yes, I'm a happy customer. :) Tried some of the MKWS, finishing it up, to some extent ran into similar issues that you found. It's simply rather below "good quality" wire. Cannot explain that any further save it gives me pause. "I don't vape wires often, but when I do, I don't do pauses." *grin*

Figure I'll strictly buy vaping wire from TEMCo now until well, whenever. Have learned a lesson. Stick with quality over affordable, even if you don't think you'll afford it, ensure you do. At least that applies for wire. I'll still give a try out to new RDA, mods and such but at the same time I'm still rather picky & set in ways.

VU Sponsors