Become a Patron!

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So.... as a massive lover of the tornado I went ahead and purchased the moon shoot supreme. Never had leaking issues as I'd mastered the art of wicking the tornado but I'm having what I think is a general build issue so could do with some advice on a decent build...... I'm using Claptons atm but I couldn't tell u which as my OH does all my builds. Even on a low wattage it's burning my cotton..... this is more or less straight after a fresh build and it doesn't seem to make any difference with the amount of cotton I've used either..... I do chain vape and really don't want to give up on this tank as I know the flavour is there but I'm frustrated guys..... can anyone tell me a decent build please..... cheers guys

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Really like this tank and firstly really enjoyed the flavour but now just keep burning cotton..... it doesn't seem to matter how high or low the wattage is or how I wick it...... no issues with leaking as I own a couple of tornados and if u can wick those then u can wick a moonshot but I could really do with some good advice on a simple and effective build......currently running Claptons...... not sure which as my OH does my builds......any advice would be gratefully accepted!!!! Cheers

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have found with some of the smaller rtas, they can't accommodate builds like claptons or aliens very well - just simple coils.

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have found with some of the smaller rtas, they can't accommodate builds like claptons or aliens very well - just simple coils.
Yh I think from the wee bit of research I've been doing it seems that's the overall consensus....have seen a 28g 9wrap Kanthal that is apparently chain vapable so will have a go at that

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the 22mm moonshot and I have no problem with larger coils. I use parallel claptons with a 3mm ID with 7 wraps no problem. Are u checking for hot spots in the wire and make sure the coil isn't touching where the airflow comes in. It can be tricky because it's hard to see th bottom of the coils because u have to put the chamber around it to fire it. Might want to check these suggestions out because I can put the above mentioned build in the moonshot and use upwards of 100w no problem. I can also put like 9 wraps simple SS 22g in it too. So don't give up it's a awesome little flavor tank that can really produce vapor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the 22mm moonshot and I have no problem with larger coils. I use parallel claptons with a 3mm ID with 7 wraps no problem. Are u checking for hot spots in the wire and make sure the coil isn't touching where the airflow comes in. It can be tricky because it's hard to see th bottom of the coils because u have to put the chamber around it to fire it. Might want to check these suggestions out because I can put the above mentioned build in the moonshot and use upwards of 100w no problem. I can also put like 9 wraps simple SS 22g in it too. So don't give up it's a awesome little flavor tank that can really produce vapor.

This is what I'm thinking, also. Hot spot, or maybe a loose post screw.

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I had the moonshot I had fused claptons in it with no problems. I had run it on mechs and reg mods at some fairly high wattage. Is it clone or authentic? I seem to remember some clones having bad insulators. You having any ohms jumping?

BaronVonEyePoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When I had the moonshot I had fused claptons in it with no problems. I had run it on mechs and reg mods at some fairly high wattage. Is it clone or authentic? I seem to remember some clones having bad insulators. You having any ohms jumping?

Yea this little RTA actually surprised me with how much it could handle. When wicked and set up right this little guy is a brute

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea this little RTA actually surprised me with how much it could handle. When wicked and set up right this little guy is a brute

I don't remember going over 125w, but it was a decent little atty. I have 2 Merlin minis which have replaced the moonshot. But ya to each their own.

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

The first time I used it was like some sort of taste explosion..... I was blown away!!! I hadn't had flavour like this since my first Tornado which is the only tank I have been using as had no reason to try anything else due to fantastic flavour. But something a bit smaller was needed to sit nicely on my predator..... I will have a look at the suggestions u made as any help right now is great...... currently vaping at 38w and burning like a witch at Salem

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No...
.. no no ohms jumping, and definitely an authentic. Think I'm gunna try a simpler build and take it back to basics as they say just for now as I have no intention of giving up as I've already experienced great flavour from it

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Think it's gunna need some tweaking but now I've got a couple of suggestions to go with I'm sure I'll find that elusive flavour again

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Think it's gunna need some tweaking but now I've got a couple of suggestions to go with I'm sure I'll find that elusive flavour again
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but have you removed the atty and reset the resistance? Didn't see what mod you're using, but it seems to be a pretty common error. I've done it myself many times.

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Kind of a shot in the dark here, but have you removed the atty and reset the resistance? Didn't see what mod you're using, but it seems to be a pretty common error. I've done it myself many times.
I haven't no, but something else I can try too now so thanks...... I've a few ideas now so will have a cracking at it again today

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't remember going over 125w, but it was a decent little atty. I have 2 Merlin minis which have replaced the moonshot. But ya to each their own.
Yeah me too..... first time I tried it was surprised at how much of a little pocket rocket it was..... I was vaping at 60- 65 watts and had amazing flavour from it but then fresh build and just kept having dry hits,..... new wick and same again so new wick less cotton same again.... figured it might be the coils so have asked my OH to chuck me some 28g Kanthal 9 wraps in but the ohms it's supposed to come out at seems way off......

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah me too..... first time I tried it was surprised at how much of a little pocket rocket it was..... I was vaping at 60- 65 watts and had amazing flavour from it but then fresh build and just kept having dry hits,..... new wick and same again so new wick less cotton same again.... figured it might be the coils so have asked my OH to chuck me some 28g Kanthal 9 wraps in but the ohms it's supposed to come out at seems way off......
This atty can get affected by leg length for coil estimates. Make sure the cotton isn't crammed into the slots.

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks for replying, so what build did u fond was best for the moonshot..... doesn't matter what I seem to do after 3 pulls u can taste and hear the cotton burning....ive tried less cotton and low wattage and still getting the same...... mega frustrated but don't wanna give up on it

markcfh

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for replying, so what build did u fond was best for the moonshot..... doesn't matter what I seem to do after 3 pulls u can taste and hear the cotton burning....ive tried less cotton and low wattage and still getting the same...... mega frustrated but don't wanna give up on it
My go to build for that was a straight 22 g kanthal I think 6 or 7 wraps. I had good luck with 26/34 kanthal claptons. It took me a few tries to get the wicks, I seem to remember using a YouTube tutorial at one point that worked well too.

Ladylizard74

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just wanna say a big thank u to those of u that came on and offered advice on my moonshot issues. I have managed to get it sorted now and really not wanting to give up I tried a different wicking technique and made sure the coils where in tight and up slightly..... this solved my issues and I now have both moonshots working like a dream, so once again thanks for all ur help and advice

VU Sponsors