RatRacer

a touch oɟɟ
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess it would work for both DL and MTL if you like a loose MTL draw. The air ports seem a little too large for a tight draw. Yes, you can close it down, with the resulting increase in vape warmth and decrease in vapor.....that's my impression so please let us know how it works out.

ResIpsa

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So, I have my Serpent Mini and Herakles RTA-2. :)

I already put the Serpent Mini together using one of the coils that came with it and some cotton bacon stuff. Works really good for DL. The coil is .6 ohm. I'll have to get some wire and make a higher ohm coil to try.

Anyone here using this for MTL? I check the air draw and even closed it still has air movement. It would be a bit of an airy MTL tank.

If anyone is using this for MTL please let me know what your coil specs are. Or, any coil recommendations. Right now I intend to get some Temco Kanthal and SS in 26 and 28 gauge.

Thanks,
Chris

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Waverly Hills Sanatorium, a few miles from me. Scary place. I'd be trippin' too.

Spook factor x10, They're such cool buildings but damn do they give you that funny feeling being around them. At one point I got lost in thought picturing what it would have looked like 100 years ago when it was still active.

7952043850_089710bdb0_b.jpg

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, so I have a bit of a newbie question. It's been playing on my mind and can't come up with an answer. What does your ohm reading on a coil have to do with the way you vape it? I've built above ohm and sub ohm coils in different configuration of clapton, fused clapton, parallel. Single and double. All different ohm reading bit I still vape them the same way. I will admit, fused clapton is a little too much for MTL but still doable. So again, what does the ohm rating really matter?

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Ok, so I have a bit of a newbie question. It's been playing on my mind and can't come up with an answer. What does your ohm reading on a coil have to do with the way you vape it? I've built above ohm and sub ohm coils in different configuration of clapton, fused clapton, parallel. Single and double. All different ohm reading bit I still vape them the same way. I will admit, fused clapton is a little too much for MTL but still doable. So again, what does the ohm rating really matter?
it matters in a few different ways,
primarily - ohms law
1 ohm at 15w is 3.87298335v and 3.87298335a
0.5 ohm at 15w is 2.73861279v and 5.47722558a

secondly surface area of the coil and again, as illustrated with ohms law- more power to heat the larger amount of metal.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
it matters in a few different ways,
primarily - ohms law
1 ohm at 15w is 3.87298335v and 3.87298335a
0.5 ohm at 15w is 2.73861279v and 5.47722558a

secondly surface area of the coil and again, as illustrated with ohms law- more power to heat the larger amount of metal.
Oh yea, I understand that. But us MTLers don't really deal with mechs. Therefore ohms law is kinda redundant but still good to know. It's not surface area I'm talking about. It's the actual ohm reading. Using a regulated mod, you can normally build anywhere from .1 to 2 ohms. Does the ohm reading have a direct corlation to flavor, vapor production, anything other than ohms law? I understand that using 26 gauge to reach say 1.2 ohms is going to be a bigger coil and take more power to heat up than say using 30 gauge. Therefore the 26 is going to have a better flavor production.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Oh yea, I understand that. But us MTLers don't really deal with mechs. Therefore ohms law is kinda redundant but still good to know. It's not surface area I'm talking about. It's the actual ohm reading. Using a regulated mod, you can normally build anywhere from .1 to 2 ohms. Does the ohm reading have a direct corlation to flavor, vapor production, anything other than ohms law? I understand that using 26 gauge to reach say 1.2 ohms is going to be a bigger coil and take more power to heat up than say using 30 gauge. Therefore the 26 is going to have a better flavor production.
you still vape with variable wattage..... you are setting the wattage and it is adjusting the voltage and current output to your setting.
you may not need to know ohms law for safety, but to understand ohms law, answers your question.

I understand that using 26 gauge to reach say 1.2 ohms is going to be a bigger coil and take more power to heat up than say using 30 gauge. Therefore the 26 is going to have a better flavor production.

think you answered the other part here.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

When you say "power", were you meaning "voltage" or actual power (wattage) ?
I think with a regulated mod, when you set a wattage level, that is your actual input power.. ie, energy to be used. So, 15watts (for example) on any kind of coil resistance should give the same amount of heat BTU no ? I've heard of 'skin effect' on conductors, but I thought that was more to do with frequency (ac power) than our dc type stuff.

Speaking of.. could that be a whole new niche of vaping.. a/c power ? A heat element is a heat element, but maybe high frequency might have some effects ?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When you say "power", were you meaning "voltage" or actual power (wattage) ?
I think with a regulated mod, when you set a wattage level, that is your actual input power.. ie, energy to be used. So, 15watts (for example) on any kind of coil resistance should give the same amount of heat BTU no ? I've heard of 'skin effect' on conductors, but I thought that was more to do with frequency (ac power) than our dc type stuff.

Speaking of.. could that be a whole new niche of vaping.. a/c power ? A heat element is a heat element, but maybe high frequency might have some effects ?
I was talking about wattage, but now your gone past anything that I have a clue about. BUT. A mod that you could plug in to your outlet would be convenient.

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was talking about wattage, but now your gone past anything that I have a clue about. BUT. A mod that you could plug in to your outlet would be convenient.
Rereading my last post, I dont think I actually answered your question..
IMHO, no.. the coil resistance should not have any effect on your vape when using a VW device. For example, 15w of power converted to heat.. it should not matter if it was a sub-ohm coil (and thus low volts but high current to make the 15w) or a high-ohm coil (and thus high volts but low current to make the same 15w).

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Rereading my last post, I dont think I actually answered your question..
IMHO, no.. the coil resistance should not have any effect on your vape when using a VW device. For example, 15w of power converted to heat.. it should not matter if it was a sub-ohm coil (and thus low volts but high current to make the 15w) or a high-ohm coil (and thus high volts but low current to make the same 15w).
That's what I was getting at. Thanks. I just put a parallel 28g kanthal build in my Bachelor nano at approximately 33 watts. It ohms out at 1.06ish. I'm DL on that tank and it performs quite well. I could put the same build in my hurricane and MTL it as well. I only bring it up because I see so many people talkin about subohm and super sub ohm. It really doesn't matter the resistance as long as it meets the needs for flavor and vapor production? Or is there a benefit to lower ohm coils?

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I guess what it really boils down to is that as long as you're safe, get the vapor, flavor and nicotine you like/need to keep you away from the analogs, that's what matters. I play around with different coil configurations until I find the coil and tank combination I like, then go to the next tank.....I have a few tanks I always go back to and a whole lot more to play with until I find that perfect combination.

ToolmanTexas

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I guess what it really boils down to is that as long as you're safe, get the vapor, flavor and nicotine you like/need to keep you away from the analogs, that's what matters. I play around with different coil configurations until I find the coil and tank combination I like, then go to the next tank.....I have a few tanks I always go back to and a whole lot more to play with until I find that perfect combination.
+1 on BB's conclusion here, the most important thing is enjoying your vape however YOU like and staying off the stinkies.

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have this tank cooking. I do like it. No leaks. I am using the MTL atty/carto thing in it The taste is better than a nautilus. It has a fixed dual airflow which is non adjustable but its exactly what I like. I like a airy mtl hit. I'm going to keep this one for sure. Oh, and it has a adjustable juice flow. Quite simple and I would say this is a no brainer type tank

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@riverdan
I don't remember hearing about your experience with the Bachelor Nano with the MTL kit. How was it or are you still waiting?

Artemis

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I love the idea, its amazing, but my head says, buying proprietary coils again:facepalm:
No doubt I have a new love for my kafun 5 and 3 mini. However, I'm testing this one out because I'm on my last nautilus tank and I'm not going to purchase again. I have a aspire plato if I want a nautilus type vape. I'm trying to make better coils. LOL (wishful thinking)

The only thing I don't care for with this tank is the bottom is press fitted. I can see the o rings wearing out eventually on this. Of course, my opinion might change with excessive use. I already forgot to close the adjustable juice flow (need to do when refilling) and ended up with liquid on my unit. :) User error of course.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@riverdan
I don't remember hearing about your experience with the Bachelor Nano with the MTL kit. How was it or are you still waiting?

I've had it for a few weeks now. I tried a hand full of builds bit just couldn't get much flavour. I'm totally blaming it on user error though. I'm not very good at the whole wicking thing.

As for the restrictors and the mouth piece that comes with the kit. I'd say it works out pretty well. I like the draw using the smallest adaptor and open afc.

I'm going to give it another go this weekend with some prebuilt coils and see if I can perfect the art of the wick. If I can't figure it out I'll have a black one still in the wrapper up for grabs.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've had it for a few weeks now. I tried a hand full of builds bit just couldn't get much flavour. I'm totally blaming it on user error though. I'm not very good at the whole wicking thing.

As for the restrictors and the mouth piece that comes with the kit. I'd say it works out pretty well. I like the draw using the smallest adaptor and open afc.

I'm going to give it another go this weekend with some prebuilt coils and see if I can perfect the art of the wick. If I can't figure it out I'll have a black one still in the wrapper up for grabs.
Well, if you decide to let it go(Do you have the MTL kit for that one?) Let me know!
One thing I've noticed with wicking, if it looks like too much then it's probably just enough. If it looks like enough then it's probably too little. Also another thing I've noticed with that tank is that you actually have to keep the tails a little longer than as close to flush as possible. Probably leave about 2-3mm over flush so that when you tuck it down into the 'U' channel it doesn't come up short. If that channel don't have wick in it at the bottom it will leak.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No doubt I have a new love for my kafun 5 and 3 mini. However, I'm testing this one out because I'm on my last nautilus tank and I'm not going to purchase again. I have a aspire plato if I want a nautilus type vape. I'm trying to make better coils. LOL (wishful thinking)

The only thing I don't care for with this tank is the bottom is press fitted. I can see the o rings wearing out eventually on this. Of course, my opinion might change with excessive use. I already forgot to close the adjustable juice flow (need to do when refilling) and ended up with liquid on my unit. :) User error of course.
I was curious don't get me wrong as I liked the ease of the whole thing, glad you posted a bit of a review for us!!!! Let us know after another little while how its going with it.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I'll watch for your post on it, mine will be in my hands tomorrow

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well, if you decide to let it go(Do you have the MTL kit for that one?) Let me know!
One thing I've noticed with wicking, if it looks like too much then it's probably just enough. If it looks like enough then it's probably too little. Also another thing I've noticed with that tank is that you actually have to keep the tails a little longer than as close to flush as possible. Probably leave about 2-3mm over flush so that when you tuck it down into the 'U' channel it doesn't come up short. If that channel don't have wick in it at the bottom it will leak.
Great tips!!!

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'll watch for your post on it, mine will be in my hands tomorrow
Do you have the MTL kit comming for it as well? I have one but no MTL kit. It's great for DL tho, as far as I know. This is the first and only thing I've vaped DL. So my experience is limited in that department so far. I will be getting an alleria, on Brewbears advice, soon.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No, where would I get the MTL kit?
I have one sitting in my cart on FT that I may not actually purchase(depending on riverdans conclusion). I'm not sure where else though. Probably mostly Chinese vendors though I would imagine.

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL, me bad on that one, that is where mine are coming from and just realized they may not come with the screw MTL kit, even though the picture showed them, we'll see maybe they will be in there...LOL, If not , I guess I won't be a happy camper:rolleyes:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have one sitting in my cart on FT that I may not actually purchase(depending on riverdans conclusion). I'm not sure where else though. Probably mostly Chinese vendors though I would imagine.
Put 2 more in and I'll PP you the money if you do get it, just in case

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
LOL, me bad on that one, that is where mine are coming from and just realized they may not come with the screw MTL kit, even though the picture showed them, we'll see maybe they will be in there...LOL
lol
That's where mine came from and there was no kit included. Maybe the later production runs came with it, if your lucky. Mine was a preorder

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've got an extra mtl kit with your name on it whiskey. I bet it would get there before your tank.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Bachelor nano, pretty good restricted DL, good MTL with the small adapter. Like CD said, you have to leave the wick tails long enough to touch the bottom. I prefer mine with dual coils even though it is a bit of a PITA to install them.
For a true MTL tank I really like the Phenomenon lite. I like is so much, I ordered a second one.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have the Bachelor nano, pretty good restricted DL, good MTL with the small adapter. Like CD said, you have to leave the wick tails long enough to touch the bottom. I prefer mine with dual coils even though it is a bit of a PITA to install them.
For a true MTL tank I really like the Phenomenon lite. I like is so much, I ordered a second one.
Got a link for the phenomenon?

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
@riverdan
If you decide you don't like the Bachelor Nano and want to sell your silver one as well, she would look great on my hohm wrecker!

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I bought both of them on ebay. I think @TexasToolman posted the link a page or two back.

riverdan

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@riverdan
If you decide you don't like the Bachelor Nano and want to sell your silver one as well, she would look great on my hohm wrecker!

There's a good chance. If I end up liking the the kayfun clones I might just unload all my tanks minus the gs-tanks.

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Post #789 one page 16 of this thread. He was selling out fast, all he has is the brass ones, 2 or 3 of them. I bought from him because he's fairly close and I get them in a couple of days.

CDroverNL

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
There's a good chance. If I end up liking the the kayfun clones I might just unload all my tanks minus the gs-tanks.
How are the gs tanks? There's a guy around me always selling a mod convo with them. It's only a 40w istick but still now bad for $60

BrewBear

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Word of caution one the Phenomenon, the deck is really small, about a 28g would be the thickest wire I'd use.....but me, being me, I'll probably try a clapton at least.

VU Sponsors