Become a Patron!

Post a Picture Any Picture (that you took)

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Couple of birds in our front yard.
A Magpie. They come and sit in that tree every day. This one is a very young born last spring.
View attachment 158536
A Top Notch Pigeon. They are supposedly delicious eating, but a protected species. An Aboriginal friend though, they are allowed to do so, is the one who told me how nice they are.
View attachment 158537

Do those magpies steal shiny things? They’re prettier than I expected. Thanks, chum.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

7e51a284e2b801efd53d9f32fdc2470b.jpg

f53ea5b1faec28f4581e5e7dde8987b0.jpg

That was so cool. Thanks, I’ve never seen one of them. They’re pretty sneaky!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Do those magpies steal shiny things? They’re prettier than I expected. Thanks, chum.
emoji2322.png
They steal things from our garden yes. My wife has here and there small ornaments and few plastic creatures for a joke. Spider, crocodile and other things.
We often come out and find one moved across the yard. She had a little monkey, it went missing for 2 months. One day they dropped it in the middle of the lawn, dont ask me where it was all that time but they were kind enough to bring it back :giggle:
We love them. We dont feed them though otherwise you get driven mad by them.
Yesterday that young one just sat there looking straight at us and did the wonderful gentle magpie warble for about a minute. Was like a personal performance.
Maybe it was saying thanks for the toys to play with :D

Agree
Took a sky shot the other day as I was walking the doggies
477db89bf73b12091163d7f6ec284c12.jpg

Sent from....Somewhere on Tapatalk
I do like a good sky shot. Never tire of looking at it.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Ok. Pine and conifer tree expert's here is one for you.
This tree is right next to our place and what you will see has been gaining in size for the past few years. There is one at least four times the size of this one on another tree about 40 kilometers from where we live but will not be going to get a pic of that anytime soon. This one is big enough to fill the area, ok strange reference but cant think of another :D, toilet room in a house. Not a great pic but is high up in the tree.
What is it?
20200417_135253(1).jpg
From further away.
20200417_135253(2).jpg

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
They steal things from our garden yes. My wife has here and there small ornaments and few plastic creatures for a joke. Spider, crocodile and other things.
We often come out and find one moved across the yard. She had a little monkey, it went missing for 2 months. One day they dropped it in the middle of the lawn, dont ask me where it was all that time but they were kind enough to bring it back :giggle:
We love them. We dont feed them though otherwise you get driven mad by them.
Yesterday that young one just sat there looking straight at us and did the wonderful gentle magpie warble for about a minute. Was like a personal performance.
Maybe it was saying thanks for the toys to play with :D

I do like a good sky shot. Never tire of looking at it.

It’s funny that they gave the stuff back to you! Maybe they didn’t need the monkey anymore in their nest and kindly returned it. :inlove:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Ok. Pine and conifer tree expert's here is one for you.
This tree is right next to our place and what you will see has been gaining in size for the past few years. There is one at least four times the size of this one on another tree about 40 kilometers from where we live but will not be going to get a pic of that anytime soon. This one is big enough to fill the area, ok strange reference but cant think of another :D, toilet room in a house. Not a great pic but is high up in the tree.
What is it?
View attachment 158899
From further away.
View attachment 158901

I live in a city, but maybe a birds nest. Hopefully it’s not a piney hornets nest or something!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yeah I can believe it. That's why we don't feed them. I bet the areas they are super agressive, those of us that know them know this, are ones that get fed and when they are expecting it and dont get it they get aggressive. That's why we never feed them and our local ones are super friendly. Never been swooped or atacked. There is a shop in a town near us, bakery, that feeds them scraps. And I can tell you the magpies that are resident there are crazy. If they see you with food then beware. My wife was once attacked by one of them when she sat on a seat in the street behind the bakery eating a mandarin. Under normal circumstances they are a lovely friendly bird like our resident ones are. Its just human interference that turns them. Even when nesting ours are fine and never swoop or attack. You often hear of attacks in nesting time but they are always city residential. I have seen enough to believe that left alone they are like any other bird.
We live in a country town and spend, usually, a lot of time in the actual Aussie bush, we have seen areas with large magpie numbers and have never once been swooped or attacked by one in the bush ever. They couldn't care less about people normally.

Last edited:

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah I can believe it. That's why we don't feed them. I bet the areas they are super agressive, those of us that know them know this, are ones that get fed and when they are expecting it and dont get it they get aggressive. That's why we never feed them and our local ones are super friendly. Never been swooped or atacked. There is a shop in a town near us, bakery, that feeds them scraps. And I can tell you the magpies that are resident there are crazy. If they see you with food then beware. My wife was once attacked by one of them when she sat on a seat in the street behind the bakery eating a mandarin. Under normal circumstances they are a lovely friendly bird like our resident ones are. Its just human interference that turns them. Even when nesting ours are fine and never swoop or attack. You often hear of attacks in nesting time but they are always city residential. I have seen enough to believe that left alone they are like any other bird.
We live in a country town and spend, usually, a lot of time in the actual Aussie bush, we have seen areas with large magpie numbers and have never once been swooped or attacked by one in the bush ever. They couldn't care less about people normally.

I’ve fed squirrels around here that I was afraid were going to attack. They looked cute, but once they got the food, it was like they were going to jump me. I ran inside really quickly.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I’ve fed squirrels around here that I was afraid were going to attack. They looked cute, but once they got the food, it was like they were going to jump me. I ran inside really quickly.
Yeah. My theory is feed em and you create a monster that when you stop they are expecting it and when it doesn't come get agro. Once was at a caravan park when traveling and there was a lake with dozens of geese. Owners told us about them and how they like bread. That evening we went for a walk around the small lake and the geese went crazy at us chasing us all agro. We didn't have any bread. It was like a scene out of Birds, the movie. :confused:

cheepshot

Member For 4 Years
Yeah. My theory is feed em and you create a monster that when you stop they are expecting it and when it doesn't come get agro. Once was at a caravan park when traveling and there was a lake with dozens of geese. Owners told us about them and how they like bread. That evening we went for a walk around the small lake and the geese went crazy at us chasing us all agro. We didn't have any bread. It was like a scene out of Birds, the movie. :confused:

Swans and Turkeys are the worst around here, a force to be reckoned with. I'm told back in the day people used to slice a Crow's tongue down the middle to have them talk like a Myna bird. I bet it works with Magpie's to. Lemme know if you try. =-)

A Cackle of Juvenile Crows
by CheepShot, on Flickr

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Swans and Turkeys are the worst around here, a force to be reckoned with. I'm told back in the day people used to slice a Crow's tongue down the middle to have them talk like a Myna bird. I bet it works with Magpie's to. Lemme know if you try. =-)

by CheepShot, on Flickr

That looks like a Hitchcock picture of birds! I fed those squirrels some of a Mickey D’s breakfast muffin and I guess the maple and sugar drove them crazy. It was really really creepy!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years

by CheepShot, on Flickr
Yes I have heard that people used to do it with Crows.
I'll tell you a story, completely true.
Our Cockatoo's, took this picture of one a few months ago.
COCKATOO(1).jpg
Are fantastic talkers and really easy to teach.
About 20 yrs ago when I was younger and a bit too free with my mouth I was detecting for gold in a mountain area where they are in large numbers and nest. I was doing ok too getting bits there but they would keep landing in the huge gum trees near me and screech their heads of. They are really loud. I couldn't hear the signals properly. So I'd hit the tree trunks with my pick and yell at them to shut up and not so politely go away.
It was a good spot and I went there quite a number of times over a couple of weeks.
One day toward the end I hear a voice. Take off my headphones but nope, nothing. Keep detecting and hear it again. Take them off, nothing. Odd, only one way in and I didn't pass anyone or hear a car.
Detecting and hear it again only this time it keeps talking. A cockatoo above me swearing and telling me where to go. The exact things I'd been yelling at them. :confused:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
common-brushtail-possum-trichosurus-vulpecula-eating-fruit-129546.jpg

at the child care centre i used to work at, i'd feed these guys fruit (which the kids had for morning tea) and pat them

i ended up getting in deep trouble, because when families came in the gate, the possums would run up to them and beg for fruit

random families didn't perceive them as cute

cheepshot

Member For 4 Years
Yes I have heard that people used to do it with Crows.
I'll tell you a story, completely true.
Our Cockatoo's, took this picture of one a few months ago.
View attachment 158909
Are fantastic talkers and really easy to teach.
About 20 yrs ago when I was younger and a bit too free with my mouth I was detecting for gold in a mountain area where they are in large numbers and nest. I was doing ok too getting bits there but they would keep landing in the huge gum trees near me and screech their heads of. They are really loud. I couldn't hear the signals properly. So I'd hit the tree trunks with my pick and yell at them to shut up and not so politely go away.
It was a good spot and I went there quite a number of times over a couple of weeks.
One day toward the end I hear a voice. Take off my headphones but nope, nothing. Keep detecting and hear it again. Take them off, nothing. Odd, only one way in and I didn't pass anyone or hear a car.
Detecting and hear it again only this time it keeps talking. A cockatoo above me swearing and telling me where to go. The exact things I'd been yelling at them. :confused:
Hahaha, to funny.

cheepshot

Member For 4 Years
common-brushtail-possum-trichosurus-vulpecula-eating-fruit-129546.jpg

at the child care centre i used to work at, i'd feed these guys fruit (which the kids had for morning tea) and pat them

i ended up getting in deep trouble, because when families came in the gate, the possums would run up to them and beg for fruit

random families didn't perceive them as cute
I bet, the possums we have around here play dead. There was one in the road when I went out to get the mail and tapped it a few times in the stomach before going back inside. I asked my wife if she'd seen the huge possum in the road and said "What possum? Supposedly they make great pets and are cleaner than a cat. They look kinda cool until they show their teeth.

Young Possum
by CheepShot, on Flickr

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I bet, the possums we have around here play dead. There was one in the road when I went out to get the mail and tapped it a few times in the stomach before going back inside. I asked my wife if she'd seen the huge possum in the road and said "What possum? Supposedly they make great pets and are cleaner than a cat. They look kinda cool until they show their teeth.

Young Possum
by CheepShot, on Flickr
They are a nice looking possum those. Ours dont play dead. We once had one in our ceiling though and it drove us mad for weeks. Eventually I drilled a hole in the area it kept making all the noise and poked a thin bit of split bamboo coated in butter through it wiggling it around. You could hear it come running toward it then bite and chew on it. Let it get used to that then a couple of nights later coated it in the hottest chilli I could find. It heard it, came running, chewed for a few seconds then went quiet for a few, then was off like lightning and never came back. I imagined as it bolted off its feet were moving faster than they were propelling it by the scratching noises I heard across the ceiling. :D

gadget!

"The Trader"
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
VU Patreon
This is what happens at our house when the squirrels get hungry. :)

This was taken through my sliding door from the kitchen out to the deck.

4198d1068932554714506a35cfdb1069.jpg

Sent from a Galaxy far far away

Jinx'd

Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
They are cute but they are real pests!
They chew on everything from lawn furniture to sprinkling systems.

really ? ours, bout the only thing they do is dig in the flower pots. i like having them around, not many critters here :(

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee

Young Possum
by CheepShot, on Flickr

Omg, those teeny fingers are too much.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Got a bush walk in today. Luckily we can walk straight out of our place and into it.
Not the most beautiful of bush areas, mostly just uninspiring iron bark forest but better than being stuck indside.
20200420_120728(1).jpg
20200420_120556(1).jpg
20200420_120648(2).jpg
An old homesite in a clearing, nothing left though other than the tree's they had in the background.
20200420_121126_HDR(1).jpg

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Yes, maybe a little bit bigger, depending on the size of the moth. However, there are hummingbird moths, they are pretty cool. Haven't seen one in a couple of years, though :(
This is what one hummer moth looks like
74cef79d97c66248fd818db39d72efd7.jpg

Sent from....Somewhere on Tapatalk
Yeah thats the one I was thinking of, called Hawk Moths here. First time I saw one it was just hovering feeding on flowers like a hummingbird. No hummers here unfortunately, amazing little birds.
The Hawk Moths are a pest here in our vineyards.
images (27).jpeg

VU Sponsors