5d0d9365f0ed2243484c5521f71462c1.jpg

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
then you prolly seen this build already and thanx for the follow

So I tried out @bigkevx87 Dragon Skin coil and OMFG......this shits amazing, if you ain't checked his or the other big builders pages like blueeyedgoon, solecollector's pages you need to and prepare for your mind to be blown and theres a bunch more of em out there building some outlandish, exotic, artistic, down right coil god type shit and I love trying em out cause this build was fun to build and vapes amazingly, so here some pics and a down and dirty explanation

1st attempt was exactly how BigKev broke it down just different gauge wire used for the Clapton wrapping:
1. Clapton'd 24g w/ 34g Kanthal approx. 6inches
2. Removed 24g Core
3. Stretch 34g to approx 18inches by pinching each end and just slowly pulling it and letting it spring back and pulling again....slowly to keep even spacing
4. Cut 34g wrapping into three 6inch sections
5. Straightened 18inches of 28g kanthal and cut into three 6inch sections
6. Inserted each 28g section into each of the 34g clapton sections
7. Lined them up side by side in the drill chuck and twisted them in the opposite direction the clapton wire was wrapped
8. Then flattened to push the "scales" down
I did 5 wraps around 1/8th and it ohm'd out around .3ohms
2nd attempt was the same process I just used 32g Nichrome 80 and it ohm'd out at around .5ohms
(Plume Viel is 1st - MutXv2 is the 2nd
View attachment 14739 View attachment 14740 View attachment 14741 View attachment 14742 View attachment 14743 View attachment 14744 View attachment 14745 View attachment 14746 View attachment 14747
Nice craftsmanship...I'LL NEVER BE THAT BORED...

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
First time helixing wires. Worked out decent.

View attachment 14886
Cabling wire ain't tough, getting the result into the right shape, a useable resistance...well, now...that's the trick...takes good eyes, or severe temperament. Then make a second, exactly like the first.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cabling wire ain't tough, getting the result into the right shape, a useable resistance...well, now...that's the trick...takes good eyes, or severe temperament. Then make a second, exactly like the first.

Good words. Tenacious temperament too. I like onomatopoeia.

Anus Braun

Bronze Contributor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's a COLD day, when I can two things, exactly alike, on a lathe....forget by eye, using hand tools.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Timing is everything. These days, more of a miracle than precision. LOL :D

But you're right, anything done by hand is both art and craft. The miracle is that it can be done by the human hand.

Now let me just go find a human hand somewhere.

Good luck.

:)

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
4535f10e0f4a7e0f5dbc4141d045a0c2.jpg
0.34 ohms 24g 8wraps 2.5 mm i.d. plume veil ... lovin it

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I build something every day, sometimes i spend hours working on something trying to get the perfect symmetry and identical performance. It's just my nature, i like things neat and orderly.

uploadfromtaptalk1424946534875.jpg Dual verticle 24ga kanthal and cotton bacon on the Goblin rda. This is the only build I could get to work well on the deck of this atty and still have decent airflow.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Rommel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Little something i did on my Lemo. First clapton that actually works with a mech. 0.8 ohms on the dot.

uploadfromtaptalk1425012350788.jpg

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just started building. The dual is my first build, it wasn't heating evenly so I did my 2nd build the single coil a few mins ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 39

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
c1847c646dcb498774cb96596f913f86.jpg
0.25 26 gauge 2.4 mm id quads

Last edited:

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
32 g stacked 2mm id dual final reading 1.02 2015-02-28 04-02-38.315.jpg 2015-02-28 04-00-13.393.jpg

Church3232

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
3 strands of 30g twisted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 43

alex31804

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
8b680876b870e08ce42c0130733b87ec.jpg

8 wraps of 15 strands 34 awg twisted in a subtank mini. Flavor is actually better than average imo.
Edit: it also comes out to .6

Last edited:

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
then you prolly seen this build already and thanx for the follow

So I tried out @bigkevx87 Dragon Skin coil and OMFG......this shits amazing, if you ain't checked his or the other big builders pages like blueeyedgoon, solecollector's pages you need to and prepare for your mind to be blown and theres a bunch more of em out there building some outlandish, exotic, artistic, down right coil god type shit and I love trying em out cause this build was fun to build and vapes amazingly, so here some pics and a down and dirty explanation

1st attempt was exactly how BigKev broke it down just different gauge wire used for the Clapton wrapping:
1. Clapton'd 24g w/ 34g Kanthal approx. 6inches
2. Removed 24g Core
3. Stretch 34g to approx 18inches by pinching each end and just slowly pulling it and letting it spring back and pulling again....slowly to keep even spacing
4. Cut 34g wrapping into three 6inch sections
5. Straightened 18inches of 28g kanthal and cut into three 6inch sections
6. Inserted each 28g section into each of the 34g clapton sections
7. Lined them up side by side in the drill chuck and twisted them in the opposite direction the clapton wire was wrapped
8. Then flattened to push the "scales" down
I did 5 wraps around 1/8th and it ohm'd out around .3ohms

Just followed these exact steps, but mine did not come out anything like that haha. Need to try this coil though! Any tips?

Riptides

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
a3ed04d8bec1325c63559375d7b0e762.jpg

My first chain coil. Not as "chain-like" as i wanted it but flavor kicks ass. 4x 26g kanthal. 4 wraps.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
First attempt at interlocked wire. 26g. Wrapping it and keeping it even was the tough part, it was pretty stiff. Vapes pretty nice, but I want to re do it.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1425332713721.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1425332713721.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 46

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just followed these exact steps, but mine did not come out anything like that haha. Need to try this coil though! Any tips?
the most common thing i think that can go wrong is that you don't twist the 3 wires in the opposite direction that you spun the drill while wrapping the clapton wire, did you use some juice as lubrication with the toothless pliers when you went to flatten it? it takes a certain touch ive found to get it to work right, and you gotta watch as you twist it keeping tension on it and watching as the scales start to raise up and arch out from the 28g and once it stops raising you stop twisting and then go to flattening it,
but did everything look the same as the first collage in my OP that showed the steps? what it looks like before you twisted it, after you twisted and then after you flatten it?

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
the most common thing i think that can go wrong is that you don't twist the 3 wires in the opposite direction that you spun the drill while wrapping the clapton wire, did you use some juice as lubrication with the toothless pliers when you went to flatten it? it takes a certain touch ive found to get it to work right, and you gotta watch as you twist it keeping tension on it and watching as the scales start to raise up and arch out from the 28g and once it stops raising you stop twisting and then go to flattening it,
but did everything look the same as the first collage in my OP that showed the steps? what it looks like before you twisted it, after you twisted and then after you flatten it?

After thinking it through I actually think what could've been the issue was either what you had stated (not the right grip and tension as I twisted the three together as I'm sure I had the right direction) or my clapton wire wasn't done correctly. I've never worked with 34g before and I find it near impossible to work with as I don't have any fingernails to grip it and I've taken the skin right off my two fingers from attempts. Think I just need to work on my claptons, but I'm not giving up.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
After thinking it through I actually think what could've been the issue was either what you had stated (not the right grip and tension as I twisted the three together as I'm sure I had the right direction) or my clapton wire wasn't done correctly. I've never worked with 34g before and I find it near impossible to work with as I don't have any fingernails to grip it and I've taken the skin right off my two fingers from attempts. Think I just need to work on my claptons, but I'm not giving up.
cant give up bro, and how are you claptoning your wire? do you mount your spool and let in feed right from the spool or are you pulling off 10-15+ feet of wire at a time and doing it that way?

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
cant give up bro, and how are you claptoning your wire? do you mount your spool and let in feed right from the spool or are you pulling off 10-15+ feet of wire at a time and doing it that way?

I cut a length of 34g and place it in my drill chuck at an angle perpendicular to my core wire and try my best to keep tension with my nubs. Lol no fingernails like I've seen other people use.

rdwilliamson

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
1972761a54e75486b83b9897e279dd8b.jpg

I forget the specs of this one. Just like the glow shot.

This is helixed with 2 x 32g though.

Sent from my educated phone using tapatalk

Hoekakes

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
28 gauge ni 200 twisted with 28 gauge kanthal 3 mm id 7 wraps ... get dif readings 0.11 on device and 0.14 on ohm reader but temp control works fantastic i can still throw some big clouds

Attachments

• 2015-03-03 21-54-12.780.jpg
    2015-03-03 21-54-12.780.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 2015-03-03 21-55-27.239.jpg
    2015-03-03 21-55-27.239.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Cloud79

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
9694a86570495a371dbbdfe3de644a2e.jpg

Simple parallel with 26ga, but with the staged effect by unwrapping the last single wire. Made a noticeable improvement on flavor from the prebuilt coil on the rba deck. This is 0.4 ohm in the Delta 2.

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I cut a length of 34g and place it in my drill chuck at an angle perpendicular to my core wire and try my best to keep tension with my nubs. Lol no fingernails like I've seen other people use.
this an old pic, but same concept, I but a 3/8th bolt threw the spool with some toilet paper or paper towel pieces wrapped around it to keep it snug and smooth the rotation, but this is how i mount my spools and it makes life so much easier and it helps keep tension too
IMG_20141229_172059.jpg

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
this an old pic, but same concept, I but a 3/8th bolt threw the spool with some toilet paper or paper towel pieces wrapped around it to keep it snug and smooth the rotation, but this is how i mount my spools and it makes life so much easier and it helps keep tension too
View attachment 16154
Dude...You're a genius. Thank you. On a side not: my first time helixing wires. Twisted 24g with 28g wrapped around it. 0.3 ohms

Attachments

• tmp_13354-Screenshot_2015-03-03-21-30-07-533622129.png
    tmp_13354-Screenshot_2015-03-03-21-30-07-533622129.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

KeepItSimpleStupid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Dude...You're a genius. Thank you. On a side not: my first time helixing wires. Twisted 24g with 28g wrapped around it. 0.3 ohms
I aint no genius, just think a lil differently....outside the box time thinker and just like my VU username that my Drill Sergeant said to our platoon at basic training, "Keep it simple stupid cause yall dumb as hell" and that helix job looks good bro

cupracer92

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
LUXenzG.jpg

26 Gauge Kanthal Twisted - Dual Coils - 5 Wraps each on 2mm - Set up on Mephisto V1 - 0.16Ω Firing @ 100W/4.0 Volts on my IPV3. Nice hot vape, great clouds & flavor... the flavor is almost as good as staged heating coils.. almost.​

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I have motor skill issues myself and realize there are a great many with limitations. In part why I set out to work out this skill long known and used by the electrical and electronics industries to make solenoids. Truth is kids making jump hoops have been making coils better than ours for a long time. In the process I was able to adapt a principle (strain) which perfects alumina isolation layers between the turns to make winds more efficient. The best of both worlds.

It takes no time and requires the strength even a child is capable of because you use finger pressure, the edge of the spool as a fulcrum and the pin vise for leverage. These factors multiply the energy along with the forearms to exert phenomenal tension. The result is you get this in a few seconds…

View attachment 6963

It's a beautiful thing VC. Hope you make a stab at it. LMK if I can help.

Good luck.

:)
sorry to post this late in the game......but a video would be nice. You can be a you tube STAR.....MAC TRIPPERS...JR.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I thought I would share my Lancia build :D

I used all the 3mm air posts to go with my wide bore drip tip, lots of airflow for this build ;)

Dual 26G spaced coils over 3mm screw came out to 0.48 ohms. On a fresh battery 4.2 Volts = 8.75 Amps at 36.75 Watts

For my spaced coils I like to use a screw to keep everything even:
fti7buxt852cx3f6g.jpg

Shot of the Duals after wrapping:
14s5l5mf3weso9h6g.jpg

Side shot of a coil:
8mnxb29rzke7yje6g.jpg

I use the screws to help mount the coils:
bsnjrkxsw8smnjx6g.jpg

Shot of the mounted coils from the top:
uok5kre4v5atqdk6g.jpg

Mounted coil shot from the side:
48nmns2e2bnmsu06g.jpg

Couple shots of test firing :)

Medium glow:
f3iwnfuuu4fmu1y6g.jpg

more power to it:
zwc5dnz94jg79fa6g.jpg

I use Rayon for the wicking, shot of it pulled thru and trimmed to be fuzzy:
33jz3a37hwfa93r6g.jpg

Wick juiced and tucked:
5tk8eq1jmg3al786g.jpg

Wick chambered:
4pqdg86nlc6524z6g.jpg

Final build shot:
zqab016ghkg7klm6g.jpg
awesome looking build. Not quite sure how a 4-40 is compared to your 3mm but i will try. Not quite sure about your wicking "material" though. I have Border Collie, Beagle and a Scottie. I guess the choice is mine.......which one wicks better.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
sorry to post this late in the game......but a video would be nice. You can be a you tube STAR.....MAC TRIPPERS...JR.

Manson thanks for the nod.

Found about the most common lament on the internet is, "Well, I did it just like the video." Lot of great replicators out there but after the get-by wind most of us want to know why it works. So I decided to do the uncommon these days…write about it…not just review it.

Gratified for all those that get the implications and a great vape from it. A targeted approach to a proper electrical wind will get you all the wonderful variations you see on these pages…and more, the ability to dial up your own unique preferences once you can build consistently to a baseline. Seeing peeps get there is very satisfying.

If you drop on any of the pages I'm active on I'm sure you'll find a bunch of vet's who'll be able to school ya on any question. If not, tap me on the shoulder anytime. We'll get ya that video, if that's what it takes.

:D

Good luck M.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If i tap you on the shoulder.....just don't get all "John McLane" on me. We will vape to see another day. Thanks for the reply. I will hunt you down

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
60b547829f7aff88a5715aad5e97c20c.jpg

Tried my hand at an Indented Staggered Clapton. Thought up by @blueeyedgoon83 on instagram. The man is a genius.

2x 28g kanthal staggered clapton wrapped with a piece of 22g between them. Removed the 22g and used it to hammer a space between them. Then ran a strand of 28g/.8mm ribbon tiger wire through the ditch. Claptons are Twistedmesses.com 36g Nichrome 80.
4 wraps around a #0 little yellow stanley screwdriver clocks in at .2 ohms for a single coil. Built on a Mutation X v3

Notes: This coil is unreal. The clapton wraps provide tons....TONS of flavor and the tiger wire produces an unbelievable amount of vapor. By far my favorite coil so far. Very time consuming though. Cleaned all the wire between every step in an ultrasonic cleaner which added probably half an hour to the build time. To me a couple hours build time is well worth the results, i'll be building another soon just because i was a little bummed that it's not totally picture perfect. I marred the claptons a bit during the hammering phase-the nichrome is real soft and doesn't take to the process well, especially 36g.

nameonawall

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here are a few I did today. Center post mutationx v2 build was for a customer, twisted dual coil plume veil, single twisted dark horse, and single parallel little boy were for me.

IMG_20150316_001354_resized.jpg
IMG_20150313_153821_resized.jpg
20150314_202300_resized.jpg
IMG_20150312_213507_resized.jpg
20150310_223636_resized.jpg

Last edited:

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've tried some of these "hip twists" but the ramp up time is like 'I can do a load of laundry and come back and still wait'. Am I doing something wrong ? I'm hitting either a Phimis tri coil or a Tobh Atty. Both 26650. I find the basic 4-5 wrap 26 awg @ about 3-4 ohms hits the best regardless if it's fruity or custardy. Some of these coils can make both RDA's really hot. The Phimis actually tones down the hard "hard nic" hit compared to my Tobh regardless of the coil. I can do 9-12 mg of nic on the Phimis but in the Tobh it can be like when you're roasting chili's on an open flame in your kitchen. But Mr. Anticlone, Scarecrowjenkins and Nameonawall those builds look really nice and clean. But like I said, the ramp up time for me is too long. I need it yesterday immediately instantaneously.

manson

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
awesome looking build. Not quite sure how a 4-40 is compared to your 3mm but i will try. Not quite sure about your wicking "material" though. I have Border Collie, Beagle and a Scottie. I guess the choice is mine.......which one wicks better.
Took your lead, did some research and bought a rayon dog. This shit is great. A little more "fluffy" then I'm used to but works great. What seems to me is that, when wicking, if you think you have too much, you really do. This shit expands more then cotton. I have to learn to tone it down. Too much wick will kill a great expectation.

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I've tried some of these "hip twists" but the ramp up time is like 'I can do a load of laundry and come back and still wait'. Am I doing something wrong ? I'm hitting either a Phimis tri coil or a Tobh Atty. Both 26650. I find the basic 4-5 wrap 26 awg @ about 3-4 ohms hits the best regardless if it's fruity or custardy. Some of these coils can make both RDA's really hot. The Phimis actually tones down the hard "hard nic" hit compared to my Tobh regardless of the coil. I can do 9-12 mg of nic on the Phimis but in the Tobh it can be like when you're roasting chili's on an open flame in your kitchen. But Mr. Anticlone, Scarecrowjenkins and Nameonawall those builds look really nice and clean. But like I said, the ramp up time for me is too long. I need it yesterday immediately instantaneously.

Yeah i can agree. With the kooky complex wires you have to build low (safely of course) or they'll never heat up. But when you get that resistance just right.....hot damn it's GREAT! The way certain wires trap and wick the juice brings flavor to a whole other level-for me at least. Clouds are just a pleasurable by product of the surface area involved (typically). But if your comfort zone is around 3 ohms then i can understand why certain coils can be frustrating, there can be a lotta mass involved which just takes too long to heat up at that resistance. As long as you know what you like!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
1829649e570b07868700b323173898ef.jpg

Dual vertical fused claptons on the Praxis Derringer.
Specs: each coil is 2x 26g Kanthal wrapped in 36g Nichrome 80. 4 wraps around my trusty #0 yellow Stanley phillips head (if anyone knows the measurement on that fella chime in) clocks in at .29 ohms total for both coils.

Notes: great build for the derringer. Not easy for me to find a build on this device that provides good flavor and doesn't burn my lips off. This build seems to work well. Flavor is exceptional, and it's a warm satisfying vape-without making the atty too hot. Fused claptons hold a lot of juice, which is helpful in a small atomizer. I chose to run them vertically for wicking reasons, i like to run a single wick over the center post and down through each coil into the juice well. Seems to create a more cooperative airflow situation and when done properly the juice goes evenly to the coils when dripped through the mouthpiece. Cheers.
e4833d0abb56d05a759f90714544b28c.jpg

VU Sponsors