Become a Patron!

Post your builds

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I just built my FIRST coil EVER. It's not fancy, but I'm proud of it!

a7c4ae14410d9f97159926419a2baf7a.jpg
7d8eafd8b3ac670a83439b7a0ea13d0c.jpg
Very nice! Almost museum worthy ;):p

thermo289

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had the building bug for a while a coil would last more then 3 days before I wanted to build something else
But the FDA had to get a wild hair up their ass and I had to stock pile.
So I have been working on making juice.

I'm still reading once in a while to keep up, you guys are crazy with some of the stuff I see.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@raymo2u does that build fit on the deck with the cap on? Looks pretty big for a 22mm Atty. Other than that it looks dope man.
cfdefde6b1dccd2f607ecc27b4c33159.jpg

Lazy subzero 24 alien build for me. Running my Subzero 24 on my noisy cricket with that build because it settled around .56Ω? I think it was .56, could have been .46 though. I put all my scrap wire to use :)

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Yea it fits without issues, I did move it towards the center and lower though after the pic.

I also did the same build as your post the other day with some 26g/38g 316L SS...

12e745625c7cf91828851fe6f6be66f4.png

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Those with a Boreas, mine shows up today. My question is, throw the coils in vertical or horizontal? I have some 10x.4n80/40 staples to throw in. Just debating if I should mount them vertical like I always did with my Aromamizer or horizontal.

JERUS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those with a Boreas, mine shows up today. My question is, throw the coils in vertical or horizontal? I have some 10x.4n80/40 staples to throw in. Just debating if I should mount them vertical like I always did with my Aromamizer or horizontal.
Only done horizontal but they work great.

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
My (not so fancy) build in the pic above is on the Boreas deck. I did horizontal, since I've always had horizontal coils (though they were made for me).

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Once it gets here and I can get my meat hooks on it and see the size of everything, then I will know how to build it. Right now, I am wanting to build vertical... we shall see what actually happens though!

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea it fits without issues, I did move it towards the center and lower though after the pic.

I also did the same build as your post the other day with some 26g/38g 316L SS...

12e745625c7cf91828851fe6f6be66f4.png

Need to get me one of those rda's for sure, it has 3 caps rather than adjustable airflow doesnt it Ray?

Ive got love for SS! Great colour. reminds me of the strangely coloured woodlice you sometimes see lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Need to get me one of those rda's for sure, it has 3 caps rather than adjustable airflow doesnt it Ray?

Ive got love for SS! Great colour. reminds me of the strangely coloured woodlice you sometimes see lol
It has 2 topcaps with different sized airflow holes and each is adjustable with single coil options also. Comes with a 510 Drip Tip adapter also.

MidwestExpress

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't wait to see what you end up doing! Post pics!

I tried to wrap it up, I got 3 wraps in and then the whole thing started twisting. I guess my cores didn't stay straight like I thought they did. What I thought was a twist from the spinning the wrap was actually cores getting out of order and screwing the whole thing up... BAH! I will have to make something new now!

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The only problem with that drill is the Chuck, it has a triangle opening and the wires arent centered so I will buy a Pin Vise to attach to the Chuck.

Virol

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hi, i want to star doing alien coils but i got i question, how long do the clapton needs to be for me to be able to cover enoght alien to make 2 to 4 coils?

Sent from my D5106 using Tapatalk

Iliketurtles

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi, i want to star doing alien coils but i got i question, how long do the clapton needs to be for me to be able to cover enoght alien to make 2 to 4 coils?

If you haven't done them before I would start with short length, enough to do one coil which is about 6 inches of clapton. Its much easier to do a shorter length of alien wire. The longer the cores are the more likely they are to twist up together. Once you got short lengths down then go longer.

Actually I still do 1 or 2 at a time as I find it is quicker to do a few short lengths of wire than one long length. A long length of 3 x 28 AWG is absolutely loving the idea of twisting together when you spin it up.

iLiptiKal

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Before stretching it I use a 3:2 ratio. So for every 2 inches of core wire you want 3 inches of decored clapton. You may want to make it longer while practicing though because you will mess up a lot. For cores to start I wouldn't try to go too long, again just because it can mess up easier. My advice is to start with 6-8" of core and see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MR.G.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
NEW DRILL BITCHEZ!
ITs soo much better, easier trigger and smoother action, easier to open and close the chuck, and has more speed options!
8f374a0f32c57c5a7192c698a58d02ba.png

I have the same drill, it confuses me as to why most drill chucks dont fully close, i used to have an old panasonic that would but i think i ended up losing bits of wire down in behind one of the jaws and come the end only two of the three jaws would move in and out, cant fault the Ryobi though, its been solid.
Thanks for letting me know about the Shuriken rda.

I saw Azriel's Youtube glow vid of the build she just did, nice one, you should post it here :)

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the same drill, it confuses me as to why most drill chucks dont fully close, i used to have an old panasonic that would but i think i ended up losing bits of wire down in behind one of the jaws and come the end only two of the three jaws would move in and out, cant fault the Ryobi though, its been solid.
Thanks for letting me know about the Shuriken rda.

I saw Azriel's Youtube glow vid of the build she just did, nice one, you should post it here :)
I saw a Ryobi drill at a pawn shop the other day that the chuck closed all the way. It was corded and $20

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
nice work everyone. i love coming home after a few days away and catching up on all the glorious builds :cheers:

i did an order with a local friend yesterday...1850ft wire, shuriken, boreas, rafale x are the most anticipated of the lot. my time machine is broken, so ill be in the cryochamber until it arrives...i hate waiting for vapemail...

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I can't wait to get a drill and more wire. I want to start making my own. Before long I'll be doing fused claptons

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.
Fused claptons are where the fun begins. The best balance of simplicity and functionality for "advanced builds" imo. When i dont want to build (which is about every day now ) fc's are my go-to when i need a fresh build

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fused claptons are where the fun begins. The best balance of simplicity and functionality for "advanced builds" imo. When i dont want to build (which is about every day now ) fc's are my go-to when i need a fresh build

So sounds like I found the good starting point then. So looking forward too it.

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Last edited:

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking in the beginning of this thread and i cant get over how far a lot of us have progressed, looking in your direction, ray... Need to sit down soon and just build but my hands are so damn worn out lately

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was looking in the beginning of this thread and i cant get over how far a lot of us have progressed, looking in your direction, ray... Need to sit down soon and just build but my hands are so damn worn out lately

i love doing that. it feels like the distance in time should be a lot longer than two years when you look at how far things have come in terms of coil making. it feels like the dark ages back there lol. on that note, the first post in here was june 25th. two year anniversary is coming up soon...

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Asymmetrical Hybrid Coil...It wasnt what I intended this morning but I thought it looked cool enough to post...
Staggerton/Framed Staple/Alien Framed Staple Segments.

SPECS: 6 X .3R/28N80/38N80/40N80/6 X .3R/48N80/36N80 (5 Wraps/4mm ID @ .2 Ohms)

190b9182e7de8ecbd45dff9e189da3e9.jpg
68d6d20fd2e1166d5eb1c9440847fcbf.png

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Asymmetrical Hybrid Coil...It wasnt what I intended this morning but I thought it looked cool enough to post...
Staggerton/Framed Staple/Alien Framed Staple Segments.

SPECS: 6 X .3R/28N80/38N80/40N80/6 X .3R/48N80/36N80 (5 Wraps/4mm ID @ .2 Ohms)

190b9182e7de8ecbd45dff9e189da3e9.jpg
68d6d20fd2e1166d5eb1c9440847fcbf.png
I have been trying to look up how to make coils similar to those and I can't find anything. Do you have a video or something? Looks good btw.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I have been trying to look up how to make coils similar to those and I can't find anything. Do you have a video or something? Looks good btw.
No I dont have a video, I figured it out before Guatch actually let the public know how it was done and I have been making them here and there since, I did post somewhere in this thread how to make them though. A 3mm Coil Wrap is about 5-6mm wire length wise, so on a sheet of paper mark every half inch for 6 inches and there is your blueprint for your coil.
Then you need to decide on what your going to use as a core, its easier to use something for the core that will go all the way through the coil, then just add to either the middle like I do or build on it on the outside of the core. Its best to work your way from the middle outwards.
Having a thicker center wrap and thinner outer coil wraps makes it so the coil heats completely evenly and not just from the center out...other heating tricks and wicking possibilities are the reason why they are popular besides aesthetics...even though the one I posted above was a "failed build" as I measured it wrong and then made it quickly...

Here's some bits from that build you quoted.

20160610_103656.jpg 20160610_103704.jpg

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Holy shit! Cotton bacon! I feel stupid for not trying it sooner. And, raymo, as for fluffing the cotton in the boreas, i finally get it now with how poofy you can get this stuff

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Holy shit! Cotton bacon! I feel stupid for not trying it sooner. And, raymo, as for fluffing the cotton in the boreas, i finally get it now with how poofy you can get this stuff

I keep getting told that its the same as Cotton Balls from the Dollar store and Walmart....I think they have never tried the stuff because there is a massive difference between them and the CB V2! Its good stuff....You should also give Native Wick Platinum Blend a run...its similar to CB V2 but comes one long strip of it in a bag (3.5ft) and its a bit poofier so its easier to pull apart...I love both of them though and they are the only wicking materials Ill use!

Schmucko

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep getting told that its the same as Cotton Balls from the Dollar store and Walmart....I think they have never tried the stuff because there is a massive difference between them and the CB V2! Its good stuff....You should also give Native Wick Platinum Blend a run...its similar to CB V2 but comes one long strip of it in a bag (3.5ft) and its a bit poofier so its easier to pull apart...I love both of them though and they are the only wicking materials Ill use!
Ive bought one of those massive rolls of cotton. Looks exactly like cb (minus the not cut into strips part) but tastes like shit. This stuff has zero cotton taste off even the first pull, im amazed

Azriel Mysterious

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm just now trying muji cotton. Not as bad as what I'd been using. I had to pull apart my Boreas and "pre burn" the cotton more cause the "wet t-shirt" taste would NOT go away. After sufficiently fogging up the room, it is now MOSTLY gone.

I may have used a little too much wicking too. But I HATE leaks so I figured more was better than less. No dry hits though even with the smaller (2mm) build deck and 80vg/20pg juice. So I can't have used too too much lmfao.

VU Sponsors