Become a Patron!

Post your builds

AlbyKortoona

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a Limitless on the way, someone was having problems with it wicking and he was suggested to not completely fill the wick holes, is this the case or do they wick just fine without a gap?

I stuffed mine full of cotton, ran the wicks down to where I can see the ends thru the glass, and it wicks like a champ. One kick ass atty.

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got some close-up filters to fit the lens of my dslr yesterday (cheap way to go macro) and banged this coil out to do some test shots. Some shots focus stacked, others not.

Fused Clapton with different sized cores. 1 - 24g ss316l, 1 - 28g ss316l, wrapped in 32g N80. 0.30 ohms and a 4.75mm ID.

rkiK0Wd.jpgl

DE20fWY.jpgl

PFcXnbl.jpgl

lDwXfAO.jpgl

Je7MiY3.jpgl

0CjJO1M.jpgl

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Had a little time and willingness (after completing an order for 100 sets) to knock out some Aliens for myself.
Anyways blah blah blah, here they are :p

Dual~core 30//36g Aliens paralleled with 28g, all Atomizerwick N80
The pair clocked in at .32Ω with a 3mm inner diameter. Next time i'll do 8 wraps with the Alien wire and 9 wraps with the single wire to get a little bit less of a staged effect, it's a little too dramatic on the series box. As always-know your shit if you're attempting this build on a series device. SAFETY FIRST!
ac8d7bc88043f755b7007f163254c129.jpg

331d298f0cb7f3c35bc899ed136a8a83.jpg
cbbe362804e70f91462fcc627a72ab55.jpg

d778388d07545e7aa2b34d8c987d33a4.jpg

088eba2d6da85cd5212de30264a1a39a.jpg

af1e582fced7b322393232f332744f5d.jpg

7bd53692e3f2d41500e1760bc8b162d5.jpg
a7ac7c26e287397efb9550eed0c9c762.jpg

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Things are lookin' very tight there, Mr. Jenkins - Nice work!

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Things are lookin' very tight there, Mr. Jenkins - Nice work!
Thank you Chef! I'm gonna be whipping up a big new batch to hopefully sell here and start knocking down some shop doors in the area. These last two big orders have definitely sharpened my mass production skills haha

Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yup! I'll usually just straighten a crapload of cores at one sitting, then take a break. Then wrap/decore another crapload of Clapton wire, and take another break. Then, get to makin' aliens! I make my cores about 15 inches to allow for any "discrepancies" while making the alien wire, so I can usually get 2 or 3 coils per stick.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im looking for a new build to try today. i have never made a cat track coil, so i think its going to be that for now. from what i can gather, the standard recipe is a bundle of 8-10 30g, wrapped in more 30g and hammered out. is that correct? anyone have any tricks/variations/upgrades to this recipe that i should consider?

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Use the Wire Wizard to spec out your coils to what you want them to be. Yeah, just wrap a bundle and hammer away - it's pretty easy. Just a little time consuming. Make sure you cores are taut. Here's a link for the ones on my website - Caterpillar Track Coils - use the specs listed and you should be a happy camper.

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@CrazyChef wow yours are way different than what google showed me. im not sure if i have enough 38 left to do 30x38 cores. i was thinking a mix might vape well, like 6x30g then fill in the spaces between them with 40 or something. i guess ill just get at 'er and see what happens. thanks for the advice :cheers:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's really no specific quantity/gauge of what you have to use for the cores. I tend to like a larger binding than the cores, though. Spec it out and enjoy the vape!

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
7x30g kanthal cores with a few strands of 42g n80 and 32g n80 wrap. comes to about .15 ohms
Capture.PNG
vapes pretty nice and came out looking very clean for a first try (for my first tries anyway). maybe skill is finally starting to catch up with desire :p

@Dawn0810 nice work :cheers: so its a clapton wire thats claptoned again with ribbon? how does it vape?

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Dropped a new build in the ol' Moonshot. I love this atty for driving and watching tv in the dark. Haven't had a better tank experience yet-aside from the nightmare that is building this thing :p

~Dual~core Half~staggered Aliens
~26g Kanthal cores, 36g staggers & 38g N80 Alien wraps
~All Atomizerwick wire

~This build is just a joy to vape in this tank. Super dense, flavorful vapor. Hot spots were a bit of a bitch (like with most staggered builds) but well worth the effort.

70680f56bd42e949d39ed305d1d98148.jpg

90ecbc0c7c611cdb72454d267b8c58ca.jpg

f1f9ea12a66dbaaa553e8070b2507efb.jpg

And just a friendly reminder (if i may) my Aliens are for sale on the Atomizerwick website, there is a discount code for VU members in the thread i posted for them. Cheers! :D

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
@scarecrowjenkins great work as always. i always wondered about staggered alien wrap. i bet thats no fun lol

edit - i missed the part where @CrazyChef said he liked to use bigger wraps than cores so i made a set of 15x34g with 32g wrap. they came to .18 ohms. the ramp up/cool down is a bit rough on these ones. i might take a wrap off and see if that helps.
Capture.PNG

edit again - minus one wrap and we are all good on the ramp and cooldown.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
@scarecrowjenkins great work as always. i always wondered about staggered alien wrap. i bet thats no fun lol

edit - i missed the part where @CrazyChef said he liked to use bigger wraps than cores so i made a set of 15x34g with 32g wrap. they came to .18 ohms. the ramp up/cool down is a bit rough on these ones. i might take a wrap off and see if that helps.
View attachment 55063

edit again - minus one wrap and we are all good on the ramp and cooldown.

I dunno if you've seen this, but it should be helpful if you haven't:

The half staggered aliens are not too bad, as long as your staggered core is perfect the rest kinda finds its way into place. I do the original clapton one wire size smaller for dual coils. So for dual 26g cores i used 28g for the first clapton

Etown smoke

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Damn you guys sure make some purrty coils. I got me claptons and fc's down pat and tigers to. I personally like a cooler flavorful vape over the hotter vape. What kind of coils would you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hi, just started vaping this year and am thoroughly enjoying feeling healthy and building. Just sharing one I made earlier, alien coils for my underground mod. 3x30gka1/38gn80. Hope to learn more through this forum!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHLxuqFAIBf/

I don't know how to post images from IG.
Those are some nice looking aliens and you just started this year? Right on man you'll be pushing out sick builds really fast, that's awesome progress. I've been vaping 4 years and I've just gotten onto them.

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
6x .5x1/38g staple core
6x .4x1 split out 3 on each side of the staple
28g frames
46g fuse. All N80.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Very nice. Working with that 40g tho

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
40g? What do you mean? I went 2.7mm on the ID for these since when I coiled my first set up at 3.0mm they were just way too huge. 40g for the inner staple you mean?

Lol I meant 46g. I can barley work with 40 & 42.. You should see how my fusing comes out with those higher gauges lmao

Tom_Forde

Member For 4 Years
Lol I meant 46g. I can barley work with 40 & 42.. You should see how my fusing comes out with those higher gauges lmao
I did those without magnification while building them. I need to get me one of those magnifying desk lights or some of those magnifying goggles lol. Believe me when I say that wrapping the 46g onto the other wire is easy, the hard part is coiling it up without breaking or snapping any of it lol

iSubOhm

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I did those without magnification while building them. I need to get me one of those magnifying desk lights or some of those magnifying goggles lol. Believe me when I say that wrapping the 46g onto the other wire is easy, the hard part is coiling it up without breaking or snapping any of it lol

Yeah I've always wondered about those magnifying glasses.. I have thousands of feet of 40+ gauges waiting to be used.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Hello all!

So, my friend is a dentist. I got to examining the supplies she uses for making braces, mostly 316 SS and Ti, and found these!

CM160620-18501001.jpg

Sorry for bad tablet pics.

So, I had to make some coils out of them.

CM160625-15172104.jpg

0.2 ohm @ 45 watts. Vapes accuratly in TC, TC set for 316SS.

So, no need to dread the dentist, just see if you can check out their supplies. They also have very cool building tools as well, cutters, picks, tweezers, forcepts and a variety of gougers. (my term), syringes etc.

I'm going to be following up with some better pics, the above coils were proof of concept, the looseness being that I neglected to torch the braces, which are curved, and tempered.

These vape great!

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are some nice looking aliens and you just started this year? Right on man you'll be pushing out sick builds really fast, that's awesome progress. I've been vaping 4 years and I've just gotten onto them.

Thanks man! Yeah no one was selling fused Claptons that could work for series mods around me so I figured I'll just learn how to make my own. I'm glad that I did, building is so satisfying!

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I haven't, but I'd be very interested to find out what others think of it.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll try some and report back. What the hell, there were many that predicted my doom when I started vaping 304 stainless...

VU Sponsors