Become a Patron!

Post your builds

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I go outside and shoot in a shadow, it has help my picture quality and more by large margins, people have thought Ive gotten a much better camera but all thats changed was shooting outside..and I used a different strength Macro Lens on my phone.
Try shooting outside, not in direct sunlight sometime in the morning/mid-day...you'll be surprised on how much it helps. Then download paint.net and adjust the Contrast, Sharpen, and the Saturation and you can really make your pictures pop.
I actually normally do. Most of my shots are done on my balcony (hence the patterned background) and made a light box since other people are doing it. I only edit Instagram but sure I'll try that (will look for it in Ubuntu or use gimp).

Heh, only wanted to quit smoking. Learning a lot more because of this.

Sent from my H220 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I actually normally do. Most of my shots are done on my balcony (hence the patterned background) and made a light box since other people are doing it. I only edit Instagram but sure I'll try that (will look for it in Ubuntu or use gimp).

Heh, only wanted to quit smoking. Learning a lot more because of this.

I have a few different light boxes myself...I just havent found a decent enough way of diffusing the light to render a pic I like yet...will need to play more with exposure.
What Macro Lens are you using? I suggest you try a Zomei 37mm 12.5x Macro, the one your using looks much like my older lens @ 20x...the focus range is very limited and kills most of the view, try getting a 12.5x or 10x lens and you will get more of your build in the picture and then you can zoom in if needed or zoom out for full deck pictures. The 37mm Macro also lends itself in the future since they actually make filters and cpl/diffusor for it.

20160726_165007.jpg 20160726_165104.jpg

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have a few different light boxes myself...I just havent found a decent enough way of diffusing the light to render a pic I like yet...will need to play more with exposure.
What Macro Lens are you using? I suggest you try a Zomei 37mm 12.5x Macro, the one your using looks much like my older lens @ 20x...the focus range is very limited and kills most of the view, try getting a 12.5x or 10x lens and you will get more of your build in the picture and then you can zoom in if needed or zoom out for full deck pictures. The 37mm Macro also lends itself in the future since they actually make filters and cpl/diffusor for it.

View attachment 59405 View attachment 59406
I have a similar one to the red one you have next to the really nice macro lens.
ebe31389b85190769f690efbd91fe378.jpg

Just got it cheap so I guess that's why. I'll look for that lens you mentioned. Thanks man!

H

Harry Nutczak

I was looking at a Nikon D3500 with a $250 macro lens upgrade - over $700 total. This will keep me going for a while until I have the $$$ for the Nikon setup.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I was looking at a Nikon D3500 with a $250 macro lens upgrade - over $700 total. This will keep me going for a while until I have the $$$ for the Nikon setup.
I was looking a a nice Canon EOS 5D....but then I realized Im not a millionaire and for just taking macro pics of coils as a hobby....its not worth that kind of money right now...Im still using my 6 year old Galaxy S3 and a $13 lens and its decent for now...Ill probably find a used Nikon or Canon on Ebay and I have Lenses for 58mm right now but I keep hearing to grab extension tubes as they make a large amount of difference then just slapping on threaded lenses. Its a bit much right now and it will have to wait until I get my taxes this year but for now its about making the most with what you have...the slightest adjustments can make all the difference and simple tricks and peices here and there can make the cheapest setup compete with some of the more expensive setups...
Editing, Aperture-Shutter Speed, and Lighting seem to be the real things to focus on, everything else is a preference thing

RedheadedBStarD

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A full frame like the 5D would be so nice. I started with a macro clip on my iPhone and just recently got $20 close-up filters for the general purpose 18-55mm lens that came bundled with a cheaper canon dslr I got as a gift a few years ago. Sure a killer set up would be nice, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So, tried my hand at framed staple alien coil. Pretty fine for the first attempt. Same thing, stacking the wire was troublesome and my magnets kept on messing up the tension for the alien wrap. Even snapped my wires off and had to re stack everything again! But the hype is real, these things are amazing.

ea19f88d0ae1b900068f1437c6d83c4a.jpg
caf9bcdd392b4db311fed49719d09fb9.jpg
7ce7df3b417162a2baa9f79916422794.jpg

Mythical_OD

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Dont think Ive ever had any builds work out so perfectly. I dont really make fancy stuff anymore, just stick with my go to, 2x26/38 fused claptons. I always just pull a giant length of the 26ga wire and double it over to wrap, and this time I pulled just the perfect amount to make 10 coils perfectly. The only "extra" length of wire was just the end at which I tied it to the swivels and the end that I tied to the eyehook in my drill chuck. Just wanted to share the perfection...

33jme4i.jpg

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Congrats @raymo2u! When does the second round start/end so I remember to sneak over to instagram and take a peek?

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I just qualified on CoilWars ;)

Alien Coils bare next and I know most of the other builders pretty well....I have a steep advantage with aliens...should be interesting :D:D
Take no prisoners. Do epic shit. You got this bro.

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I just qualified on CoilWars ;)

Alien Coils bare next and I know most of the other builders pretty well....I have a steep advantage with aliens...should be interesting :D:D
I went on Instagram and voted for you. Your coil was beautiful. Good luck and hope you bring the title back to VU...lol

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I went on Instagram and voted for you. Your coil was beautiful. Good luck and hope you bring the title back to VU...lol
thank you..on to the Alien round...Im in a chat with the other qualifiers...the sad part is most of who entered only are skilled in one type of coils...I think people who are well rounded should have entered. This is my Alien Coil Entry...everyone else has posts a Mohawk or normal alien or similar and I feel I have a unfair advantage.
I made the Widest 50g Framed Staple ever with the remains of the Core Length also...

15PLY Alien Enigma

20160820_160604.jpg 20160820_161703.jpg 20160820_160755.jpg 20160820_161346.jpg 20160820_161144.jpg 20160820_163816.jpg 20160820_161729.jpg 20160820_141126.jpg

Nevweezy

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
thank you..on to the Alien round...Im in a chat with the other qualifiers...the sad part is most of who entered only are skilled in one type of coils...I think people who are well rounded should have entered. This is my Alien Coil Entry...everyone else has posts a Mohawk or normal alien or similar and I feel I have a unfair advantage.
I made the Widest 50g Framed Staple ever with the remains of the Core Length also...

15PLY Alien Enigma

View attachment 59616 View attachment 59620 View attachment 59614 View attachment 59618 View attachment 59617 View attachment 59613 View attachment 59619 View attachment 59615
Omg that thing is so badass. Your definitely gonna win this round. Don't see anyone topping that..

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I bought some .5x1 kanthal A1 ribbon today. What would be the easiest thing to build with it? Thks will be my first time working with ribbon.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I bought some .5x1 kanthal A1 ribbon today. What would be the easiest thing to build with it? Thks will be my first time working with ribbon.

Framed Staple for .5R ...everything else is difficult as .5R doesnt like to bend ;)
I use .3R/.4R for everything else.

Try 8 peices of .5R
26g Frames
Wrap with 38g

Should be around .1

Make sure you read the last few pages...there are some helpful hints on setup and prep with Ribbon and other builds concerning this style

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Framed Staple for .5R ...everything else is difficult as .5R doesnt like to bend ;)
I use .3R/.4R for everything else.

Try 8 peices of .5R
26g Frames
Wrap with 38g

Should be around .1

Make sure you read the last few pages...there are some helpful hints on setup and prep with Ribbon and other builds concerning this style
Thanks for the input. I will definitely go back a few pages, too. Could I use 28 for the frames? I have an X Cube II and Cuboid, so I need to keep it .15 or above. I have a couple of unregulated mods, but I don't have a parallel yet, just series and single.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the input. I will definitely go back a few pages, too. Could I use 28 for the frames? I have an X Cube II and Cuboid, so I need to keep it .15 or above. I have a couple of unregulated mods, but I don't have a parallel yet, just series and single.

You could use 28g for the frames but you will have to be careful when wrapping it as a coil. .5R is the same size as 26g and you will need the support to wrap it well. 28g I use for .4R and 30g for .3R.

I highly recommend a Hohm Wrecker G2 for all your building needs...Or a Triple Parallel Box like the Tres Equis, Vertex, Oblivion, Warrior, or Lethal if you can find one. Fasttech.com stock the Hydra Box which is a clone of the HOG V1 Quad Parallel...might be just what everyone needs nowadays

greasegizzard

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could use 28g for the frames but you will have to be careful when wrapping it as a coil. .5R is the same size as 26g and you will need the support to wrap it well. 28g I use for .4R and 30g for .3R.

I highly recommend a Hohm Wrecker G2 for all your building needs...Or a Triple Parallel Box like the Tres Equis, Vertex, Oblivion, Warrior, or Lethal if you can find one. Fasttech.com stock the Hydra Box which is a clone of the HOG V1 Quad Parallel...might be just what everyone needs nowadays
Oh, ok. I may wait to try framed staples until I have a parallel mod. I'm hoping to get the Noisy Cricket II-25 when it comes out since it can do parallel or series. I have the original and love it, but the builds are a little limited since it only runs in series.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Oh, ok. I may wait to try framed staples until I have a parallel mod. I'm hoping to get the Noisy Cricket II-25 when it comes out since it can do parallel or series. I have the original and love it, but the builds are a little limited since it only runs in series.

You could run one as a single coil....they do make great vapes on Tube mods

H

Harry Nutczak

Framed Staple for .5R .
I tried one of those for the HΩ Wrecker, but used N80 for the ribbon and frames, and SS316L for the binding. Came out to 0.07Ω for the dual coil build. Extremely warm - the box got almost too hot to use. Even the batteries (HB6) got too warm for my comfort... It was really just a test build for the mod to see what it can do.

Dawn0810

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Anyone interested im starting a PIF building and DIY box. For anyone wanting to join in let me know it's a good way to try your hand at some of the different builds without buying all the wire and figure out that it's not for you.

Sent from the lab in my basement of vapement

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
.4R...I used the rest of what the Alien Enigma didnt for the Framed Staple...Waste not right?? :)

Its a bit lower then I like but from what Im told its record setting at its width and outer guage so its not a complete waste I guess....maybe a Single Coil vape but Ill put it into something else..

I still need to pick up a new topcap for the Petri...I cant use it since I drilled a hole in the cap for more air a while ago .and now I dont enjoy it. when I get some money Ill have to visit a shop with the PUREst COILS I know and pick a cap up:D:D

Here's some more good stuff.

20160821_121858.jpg 20160821_122233.jpg 20160821_121009.jpg 20160821_121904.jpg 20160821_121841.jpg 20160821_122317.jpg 20160821_122335.jpg

Last edited:

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After Taking time off of the drill; I'm back!! Sooooo much has happened in this crazy world of coil building I must say!
A big shot out to our own @raymo2u . Your slaying them in coilwars. Keep it up!

I warmed up with a host of Fused Claptons and Framed Staples. I had some pretty tired coils that needed replacing.With my thumb feeling good, it was time to get down to business. Tackling some of these new build styles that have been developed. With a well placed timely tip from @raymo2u , I dumped the brakes and crafted these: 3 wave edit - Copy.jpg binary edit - Copy.jpg

Not the cleanest pics. I was so excited I skipped bath time, lol.

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
After Taking time off of the drill; I'm back!! Sooooo much has happened in this crazy world of coil building I must say!

I warmed up with a host of Fused Claptons and Framed Staples. I had some pretty tired coils that needed replacing.With my thumb feeling good, it was time to get down to business. Tackling some of these new build styles that have been developed. With a well placed timely tip from @raymo2u , I dumped the brakes and crafted these: View attachment 59760 View attachment 59761

Welcome back to the itch ;) Looks amazing bro!! Well done!

Thanks for the support! Im hoping my entry for the Alien round wins the hearts of the judges this round...They are veteran builders so I wanted to do something that isnt just eye candy...but something that is also difficult to make and make clean. I see alot of public pictures on the coilwars page that I feel should have entered but didnt..

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I warmed up with a host of Fused Claptons and Framed Staples. I had some pretty tired coils that needed replacing.With my thumb feeling good, it was time to get down to business. Tackling some of these new build styles that have been developed. With a well placed timely tip from @raymo2u , I dumped the brakes and crafted these: View attachment 59760 View attachment 59761

Those are beautiful. One day I hope I'll get there myself. I'm just not that talented LOL

I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested.

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Thanks for the support! Im hoping my entry for the Alien round wins the hearts of the judges this round...They are veteran builders so I wanted to do something that isnt just eye candy...but something that is also difficult to make and make clean. I see alot of public pictures on the coilwars page that I feel should have entered but didnt..
Your 15 ply Alien is off the wall.

I think as a whole, we are a sensitive bunch and super critical of our own work. A lot of us don't think that we measure up when we do. Just my thought...

Poppa (K)

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Those are beautiful. One day I hope I'll get there myself. I'm just not that talented LOL

You'd be surprised at how quickly a high skill set can be acquired in this hobby.
Where are your at now?

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm still having issues with my Claptoning. Where I can get some time to sit down and build again I'm going to try doing the wraps with the outside wire at a 90 degree angle from the core wire. Hopefully that will fix my spacing issues

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm still having issues with my Claptoning. Where I can get some time to sit down and build again I'm going to try doing the wraps with the outside wire at a 90 degree angle from the core wire. Hopefully that will fix my spacing issues

Tip:
Try having your swivel end about a half inch high then your drill end, this way you can lean it behind the laid wrap more without it jumping back or spacing forward.

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tip:
Try having your swivel end about a half inch high then your drill end, this way you can lean it behind the laid wrap more without it jumping back or spacing forward.
Thanks a lot. I'll try that when I get my drill out again. I'll take any advice I can get because I was building and would like to get better at it.

kwb19448

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I 'm pulling for ya bro. I watched the video and as far as I am concerned u got this. Best of luck.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

raymo2u

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for the vote of confidence guys ;) Ill do my best!

I think next round Im going to repeatedly recreate the same build with different added touches and then choose the one I feel will be best. This Alien Coil round I just submitted the first build I made....even though many like it I feel I could of done Triple Interlocking Wraps and Stitching on top of it comprised of KA1, SS and N80, Possibly used a Corrugated Center and then for the Ribbon Use KA1 Ribbon for the straight pieces and then N80 Ribbon for the Corrugated Ribbon.
That would not only have given it more, it would have had more color intricacy as well...but these are things I had considered after I sent in my entry...I was excited to enter it and now I feel I should have took the entire week...even though Im sure I could have done it within a day or 2. Submitting the build the first day also gave the competition the advantage...I should have waited until the last few days to submit.

Now that the first round is underway and Ive learned this I will be using this knowledge for the future rounds.

The only thing I am worried about is if there will be a Braiding and Stove-top Challenge...this are things that Im not well versed in and I know a few of my competitors are...I will be practicing and working on these until the rounds for them arrive. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for these I would really appreciate it...What do people use or how do you coil a stove-top?

Qlippoth

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Just keep on practicing man! The feeling you get when getting a build down trumps all the wasted wire binned. I just started this year too, and the builder community here is very helpful

midknight420

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just keep on practicing man! The feeling you get when getting a build down trumps all the wasted wire binned. I just started this year too, and the builder community here is very helpful

You guys and gals have been awesome. It inspires me seeing what you all produce. Looking forward to the day when I can make my first aliens.

VU Sponsors